Wrap Skirt Construction Tutorial

on May 23 | in Sew-Alongs, Sewing Tutorials + Patterns, Wrap Skirt Sew-Along | by | with 12 Comments

From Kristin: This is the construction part of Bethany’s Wrap Skirt Tutorial. To get to this point, see the Pattern Drafting Tutorial.
Always wash and iron your fabrics.
Now fold on the straight grain of the fabric making sure you center your pattern if necessary.Place on freshly drafted pattern (flat front edge on the fold) and cut ‘er out.
Cut one for the front and one for the back from each fabric.Cut 3 4.5 inch strips from the fabric you chose for your waistband.Place the skirt pieces: same fabrics together- right sides facing. Pin and seam down one side. Do this to both kinds of fabric.
Press open seams.
Place the “skirts”- right sides facing, seams matched up ( I pin the seams together to hold the shape together better and pin all sides together.
I like to do this over the ironing board, start from the middle seam and work my way out. Don’t skimp on pins. Having these neatly matched will make or break your skirt!Test fit. Is it hanging well? Adjust if necessary!
Leaving waist band open, seam both sides and the bottom curve. (If you are worried about it after the fitting you may want to baste at this point.) The bottom curve line being neat is key. It will be your hem.Clip the curves thusly:
Flip right sides out and press carefully and completely. Make sure you “poke out” the corners.For the waistband, take one of your 3 strips of fabric. Trim to 2 inches longer than the waist of your skirt.

Press under 1/2 an inch on both sides. Press a center crease as well.

Pin to the side that will hide your thread color the MOST.

Open the strip and pin to the skirt raw edges together. Sew on the 1/2 crease you made.

Fold over the strip and pin in place. Top stitch the band as close as you can to the bottom.
Fold the two extra strips, which will be your tie pieces, in half and seam down the raw long edge.
Seam one end closed.Turn right side out (Poke out the corners, I use a long metal ruler or yardstick.) and press.
Fold in the ends on the waistband, press, then insert the raw ends of the ties pin and double seam in place.
On end of the waistband, make a wide buttonhole 8 inches in from the edge of the skirt.
Put her on, thread that tie through the buttonhole and make a bow.Then, make a dinner reservation, because you and your skirt are ready to hit the town!

12 Responses to Wrap Skirt Construction Tutorial

1. Ashley says:

This is probably way easier than I’m making – it’s too cute, but I’m a little confused. You say to “cut 3 4.5 inch strips of fabric for the waistband.” Then later you say to take one of our 3 waistband strips and trim it to 2 inches longer than your waist. If it’s only 4.5 inches to begin with, how can it be longer or trimmed to longer than my waist? And by waist do you mean the waist math answer (so around 12)? Thanks and I’m looking forward to trying this out!

2. jake says:

Thank you so much for an easy to follow tutorial. I have searched everywhere for an ” easy ” to understand pattern. I will make this straight away for my daughter in Australia. Now all I have to find is a simple wrap top (singlet style) and my happiness will be complete. Jake.

3. Amanda says:

Easy drafting! I’m fairly pleased with how the skirt came out (I cut mine for a full front overlap, since I like full coverage from winter gusts). My fabrics frayed considerably, so I top-stitched the end and hem seams for added stability. Topstitching the hem probably wasn’t a good idea, as it makes any sagging in the fabric more obvious. Not too bad, though. Next time, when I have more time, I’ll stay-stitch the waist and hang the raw pieces for a few days to let the bias stretch , then match/even up the remaining raw edges.

4. Dj says:

I cannot wait to try this pattern! We don’t run the AC a lot at work and am looking for ways to stay cool. I think this fits the bill.

5. Samantha says:

Wow! Thanks so much for the tutorial. Now to choose some fabric. :-) I may try one for my daughter first…

6. Cici says:

I love this skirt. If only I had the fabric in my stash to make one this weekend…

7. Beth says:

This is perfect timing..! I’ve been wanting to make a wrap skirt and love that this tutorial is for a reversable one! I’m getting started on drafting the pattern today! The instructions in the tutorial are very clear and easy to understand. Thanks so much!!!

8. Sarah says:

Very cute skirt!

9. Lynn says:

That you for this tutorial, it looks fantastic!

10. Kristi says:

that’s fantastic, I admired her skirt when she modeled it on her site which is great by the way.

11. Diana says:

time to go to the fabric store again!!!!!

12. Yeah I wanted to make one! I love the waist/tie method very cool! I can’t wait to try it! thanks,Kelly