Introduction ~ Lauren

on June 18 | in Contributors | by | with 9 Comments

From Kristin:  Have you received an order from us recently and noticed the fabric folded just so and tied with a pretty bow?  Maybe you saw our new postcard with “50 Things to Sew”?  Perhaps you were impressed by the “Now Available” graphics on our home page?  Things have been changing here at SMS, in large part due to the arrival of Lauren.

Lauren started working with me in May.  She has a great eye for pattern and is completely taken with fabric.  She’s learning to sew and will soon be teaching me a few things, I’m sure.  She’s doing a little bit of everything around here, from packing orders to updating the website, to designing our new buttons and ads.   Lauren has been following the work of our customers and friends through Flickr and the blogosphere and has learned that we are incredibly lucky to be working among such creative, interesting and nice people.  If you get a chance, I hope you’ll say “hi”.

From Lauren:  I recently graduated college with a major in Graphic Design. My boyfriend and I are pursuing our own Design Business (Squid37), while both holding other part-time jobs. Lucky for me, my other part-time job is working for Kristin at Sew,Mama,Sew! Since I began at SMS I have fallen madly in love with fabric, taught myself how to sew, and am eager to explore new fabric-related projects! So far I have sewn a skirt, an i-pod holder, and have created lots of lovely fabric buttons that we are now selling on our etsy shop.

buttons

I moved from Columbus, Ohio where I was born and raised to Portland in order to study Graphic Design, and be close to my family (who have all moved out west)! I’m a craft lover and am passionate about finding ways to combine design and fabric in the things that I create. I enjoy seeing all of your creations through the Flickr group website, as I find it to be very inspiring! I truly feel that I have found my niche and am excited to see what life has in store for me next.

9 Responses to Introduction ~ Lauren

1. April says:

Hi Lauren,
    I am a new reader of SMS but am blown away by some of the things I have found here :)

Good luck to you, although it seems as though you wont need it.

Keep up the great work!

APRIL

2. Aunt Linette says:

Hi Lauren, Glad to see and hear you are doing so well. Your work is awesome. Looking forward to spending time with you at Amy’s wedding. We can’t wait to see the area. Love, Aunt Linette

3. Nora says:

Oh my gosh! Lauren you are a wonderful talented woman. Your creations are awesome. Of course I always knew you had it in you.
    Good luck with SMS and Squid37. I’m so glad you found your niche.
    Love,
    Nora

4. Jill says:

I love your iPod holder! One like it would make a great birthday present, don’t you think?

Your work is wonderful!

So glad you’ve found your niche!
    Love,
    Mom

5. Dinah says:

Hi Kristin and Lauren: I loved the packaging of my fabric, all tied up nicely in twill tape, and the postcard too. Thanks for making it look even more exciting!

6. Zoe says:

Hi Lauren! How exciting to be part of SMS! I would die to work with fabric!:) I am a self taught graphic designer and I feel that a ton of inspiration comes from fabric . . . and vice versa as I dream of one day designing fabric!

I can’t wait to get a cute postcard . . . humm, yes, my fabric stash does seem to be getting low!

7. Beth says:

Lauren, I am also from Columbus, Ohio and have a degre in graphic design! Small world! Love the work you are doing for Sew, Mama, Sew!

8. Beth says:

I’ve been loving all of your work on the site, with the shop and those buttons popped right out at me on Flickr the other day! Way to find your “niche!”

9. meg says:

Hi, Lauren! I did indeed notice the “50 Things to Sew” postcard in my last order, and loved it. Welcome to the fabric addict support group; we’re not looking for a cure – just support. :)