September Theme

on August 8 | in Etc... | by | with 36 Comments

Our readers had so many wonderful ideas for blog themes ! We went over all the suggestions and came up with a rough plan for the next year. We’re pleased to announce that the September theme is Kids’ Clothes! For a variety of reasons (back-to-school, a change in the seasons, and lightning-fast growth), little wardrobes are at the forefront of our sewing plans. We hope you’ll sew along with us!  We’re still in the early planning stages, but if you’re interested in participating, here are a few things you can do:

Pattern Reviewers

It goes without saying that we’ll have pattern reviews, right? If you’d like to review a pattern, send an email to [email protected]. (Edited.  This said kristin@, but we changed it.  If you sent it to Kristin, that is fine.  I’ve forwarded to Beth.) Please include this information:

• Your name
  • The age of your child(ren)
  • The kind of thing you’d like to sew (dress for older girl, baby pants, etc.)
  • Your blog address (if any)

We usually have many more volunteers than we have patterns to review, so please understand that we’ll be trying to find a good balance of projects for kids of a variety of ages.

EDITED  Thank you!  We have plenty of reviewers!

Tutorials

Rather than post just two or three tutorials on our blog, we’re going to put together a directory of tutorials that you create. Consider this a call out to write a tutorial and post it on your blog. When you are ready, send us an email with a link to your tutorial. We’ll post a photo, description and link on our blog. We hope this will be a good resource list for all our readers.

Photo Pool

In a couple of weeks, we’ll create a Flickr group for sharing photos of kids’ clothes that you’ve made.

Suggestions

Comment here if you have specific suggestions or ideas for projects, tips or inspiration that we should include in Kids’ Clothes Month. Even if you don’t have suggestions, but you’re planning on sewing along, let us know! Spread the word–the more the merrier.   Happy sewing!

36 Responses to September Theme

1. Cat Deeley says:

Cat Deeley…

I Googled for something completely different, but found your page…and have to say thanks. nice read….

2. I’d love to know how to make different kinds of shirts for boys. The tutorials are wonderful. I can sew, but there is so much more that I need to know.

Elizabeth Joy

3. Fashion and Clothing Tips…

I couldn’t understand some parts of this article, but it sounds interesting…

4. Candy says:

There are three brand new babies in life (all my friends are having kids), so I’d love to sew along.

5. iSew says:

Ooh, that sounds fun. Hope I can get in on the fun. I’ve got some kids’ clothes planned already.

6. Linda Lehn says:

I have a tutorial I’d like to share, but I can’t find where to email the link to you! LOL, maybe I’m blind.

7. Tami says:

I am so excited! Unfortunately I missed out on bag month due to a death and unexpected 5 week trip across the country. It’s time to blow the dust off the sewing machine!

8. wendy says:

HI all,
    Love to sew for kids, (mine are all too old) okay If I don’t have a little one to model? If so, count me in!!
    Wendy

9. Michelle says:

I hope I can get it together to make some things.

10. Nada Jones says:

Yippee!

I’ve got a pile of thrifted wool suiting and some West Hill waiting to be turned into winter pants, but I don’t have a pattern yet… I’d love to pattern test some boys/unisex stuff!

11. Merlynn H. W. says:

Can’t waite to get started. I plan on making my 5yr old daughter’s fall clothes for school. I have lot’s of idea’s, but can’t waite to see what you have in store for us.

12. Peggy says:

I love sewing kid’s clothes! Can’t wait for September!

13. rhembein says:

HURRAH!!! I am SO in!!

I backed out of the bag month (I had PLENTY of bags! LOL!) but this is perfect timing for me to have time to sew just for this!! FUN!! I can use it as an excuse to make stuff for MY kids! LOL!

~gyl

14. sara says:

oh i am so excited! this is right up my alley!

15. Sarah says:

I’ve been stewing to make some Xmas gifts for our 3 nephews and 2 nieces, one of whom will be 4 weeks at Xmas. My mom has a corner on flannel jammies so I may have to resort to actual clothes. I’ve been eyeing smocks for the older girl, but can’t decide what to make for the boys. Hope someone has something to inspire me!

16. Mandy says:

I am soooo excited. I am new to Sew,Mama,sew and have been thrilled with the fabric I have purchased. Kids clothes are what I sew! I just started making some things for my girls! Can’t wait to sew along with everyone.

17. sarahk says:

Yay! I love sewing for my girls! Can’t wait to see what everyone makes!

18. Kathryn says:

I was just talking to my son this morning about the kind of clothes he’d like me to make him for school this year. How timely!

19. jorja says:

I would love some suggestions on where to find a variety of quality knit fabrics! I get really frustrated with the lack of options locally, so surely someone has a large knit store online…right? Can’t wait to see what everyone makes!

20. oh too much fun! this is right up my alley! I’ve already got a new tutorial ideas swimming around! I”ll be sure to be hanging around in September to see all the fun stuff!

21. Ana says:

I’ll definitely be sewing along! I loved bag months, was so inspired, and will love joining in on this one as well!

22. Tamara says:

I am new to Sew, Mama, Sew but I am very excited about this month. I love to sew kids clothes! It is most of what I do because I am chicken to sew for myself (I am challenging myself in this area though). I would love to see some stuff that inspires me to sew for my boys also. Usually my daughter gets all the sewing focus. Can’t wait to see what’s in store!

23. Mary says:

I can’t wait!

24. Donna says:

Super! I’ve been putting off making any more clothes until it gets a little cooler here (hoping September will be cooler…) so this is just great!

25. Samantha says:

Cool! Kids clothes are my thing! I can’t wait to see what everyone does. I’ll have to see if I can work on a tutorial. I have a few ideas. :-) But mostly, I just need to get some Fall things made for my crew!

26. Kathy says:

You all are amazing! You have such great ideas and I’m so looking forward to the tutorials. Thanks for everything!!

27. veronica says:

yes! please don’t forget the boys!!

very excited about the theme :)

28. Ali says:

Please please don’t forget the boys. I don’t have girls to dress and get frustrated at the lack of cool stuff for boys past babyhood.

29. andrea says:

Don’t have children but have an adorable neice and nephews! Looking forward to it :)

30. Joanna says:

I am sooooo excited. This is what I was hoping for! I have a 1 year old daughter and 7 year old son. My son is more interested in having me sew him sails for his lego boats than clothing, but I so want to dress up my girl in homemade loveliness! I would also like to try my hand at pattern reviewing, so you can add my name to the pile. And if I ever figure out how to use my blog (I am so computer illiterate!), I will gladly post a tutorial of something I have made. FUN!

31. april says:

Yay! I’m excited to see some boy reviews… I always have such a hard time finding cute patterns for my little guy! Such a great theme :)

32. Meredith says:

Maybe this will inspire me to get over my fear of sewing actual clothing!! I can’t wait to see what tutorials pop up. Great theme!

33. Melissa says:

ohh! How exciting! I was just looking into her closet yesterday and telling myself that she needs more winter clothes… summer is going to end soon here since the leaves are starting to fall from the trees. We need to be prepared!

34. samantha says:

Oh, good! I’m a quilter who;s trying to overcome her fear of sewing clothes- and I have the perfect 6 year old daughter to practice on! Hooray!

35. Katie says:

YAY!! This is going to be fun!!

36. Emily says:

Hurray! I had already made my list of fall sewing for my kids. This will fit in with my sewing schedule perfectly.