Boys’ Clothes Tutorial Round-Up

on September 12 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 38 Comments

We have lots of girls’ clothing tutorials to share with you later in the month, but luckily we found some great boys’ clothing tutorials too. It can be tough to find a good tutorial for great boy clothes, don’t you think? Here are some of our favorites:

Chef’s Apron
This darling chef’s apron tutorial would definitely work for either a boy or girl. We love Mary Beth’s blog Supafine! and all of her creative sewing, so much so we’ve featured her before on the blog. Those featured maternity shirts have given way to a cute little boy, joining big brother and bringing lots more for Mary Beth to add to her blog with her customary (fantastic) wit and writing. Mary Beth notes that the photo with the pattern shows it with one layer of fabric, not two, and with a looped neck strap instead of neck straps that tie. Be sure to visit Supafine!
Easy Kid Pants
Kathreen’s tutorial for easy kid pants really is just that… Easy. Her post starts out: “I am always being asked how I can whip up 20 kids pants in a day. It’s easy I say. They say, ‘I could never do it.’ I say anyone can…” Kathreen doesn’t update Handy Home Projects anymore (the site with the tutorial from 2005) but you likely know Kathreen from her current blog home, whipup.net.
Easy T-Shirt Pants
Whitney was inspired by Kathreen’s tutorial and a tiny happy post. She shows how to make some easy kids’ pants out of old t-shirts. Visit her tutorial here. Whitney and Heather’s blog, Rookie Moms, has the tagline: Two geeky girls’ guide to the first year of motherhood. Visit and enjoy!
Super Cape
We doubt there’s a boy (or girl) around who wouldn’t love their very own cape. Kate created this cape tutorial when she made one for her boy’s new dress-up collection. Kate writes, “I blog about my craftiness (mostly quilting) when I’m not chasing after a mischievous two-year-old. Sometimes, the blogging is sparse and the chasing is frequent!” Visit the gateway to Kate’s blog, custom quilt orders and Etsy shop at KC Quilts.
Freezer Paper Stencils
Amy from Angry Chicken always has the answers to children’s clothing. This is one of our favorite, easy tutorials for freezer paper stencils. The sky’s the limit with plain shirts, freezer paper, fabric paint and a little inspiration. Be sure to check out the comments for suggestions about good sources for inexpensive tees. Amy really doesn’t need introduction, of course. You’ve checked out Bend the Rules Sewing by now, right?, and you likely enjoy all of her amazing work and words over at Angry Chicken. Then there’s the mail order, KingPod shop, Tie One On… We love all of Amy’s ideas and creations!
Bandana Pants
These bandana pants are cute, easy to make and cost-effective too! Stefanie created a fun and easy-to-follow bandana pant tutorial; she says they can be made in about fifteen minutes. Visit Blue Yonder, Stefanie’s blog, for her world of crafting, “mama life,” homeschooling and more.
Dishtowel Apron
Boys need cute little aprons for all of the cooking help and art projects in their days. Here’s another great tutorial for an apron. Randi’s dishtowel apron tutorial makes it fun to grab a favorite dishtowel, add some bias tape and create a few for the kids in your life. Visit Randi’s blog, i have to say…, for more tutorials, Etsy shop goodies, lots of great links to blogland finds and more.

So… Whip up twenty or so pairs of pants (!), start stenciling, add a cape and an apron or two and you’ve got yourself a fantastic “boy” wardrobe. Let us know in the comments if we missed a great tutorial good for the boys in our lives. There are also lots of great patterns for boys (or suitable for both boys and girls) in the shop. In addition to the Baby Overalls pattern (reviewed so nicely by Christie) and the Little Jammies (don’t forget Katie’s great review), we have: baby jackets, a whole collection of Favorite Things Baby Stuff, hooded jackets (review coming soon!) and some cute little vests.

You could also always make a few patchwork scarves for your favorite little guy (and for our sew-along!).

38 Responses to Boys’ Clothes Tutorial Round-Up

1. Kara Marie says:

Again, many thanks for boy’s sewing ideas! Too bad Christmas is 4 days away, I’ll have to wait for next year for my son and nephew!

2. Tanja says:

Hi, I just want to say a huge thanks for these tutorials. I made a cape from panne velvet for a swap and it is now loved by a 4 year old boy.

3. NanaSewn says:

Absolutely creative in everyway.

4. All of these ideas are so great, I can’t wait to try some of them! Cute boys clothes are so hard to find!

5. Heather says:

Oh this is too wonderful! Usually, everything is for girls! With two boys and a strict budget, I love finding new things to make just for them.

Thank you!!

6. Elizabeth says:

It really is hard to find crafts to make for my little guy! Thanks for some GREAT ideas!

7. Lil_Birdie says:

Wow thanks : ) It’s so hard to find stuff to make for little boys and some of these ideas are great for my nephew

8. Maria says:

Questo blog è una bellissima iniziativa…. grazie

9. Steph says:

I can’t wait to try the easy kids pants! Thank you for sharing that.

10. shannon says:

Thanks for all the boy clothes tutorials!

11. Tristana says:

Perfect tutorial for making kids pants! Once I perfect my pattern, I trace the final onto something like “No sew” pattern cloth.

12. Janice says:

I’m getting ready to try those easy kids pants…wish me luck :)

13. Emy says:

Thanks for all the boy patterns. I really like putting appliqué’s on my son’s clothing to personalize it as well.

14. Margaret says:

This is just what I have been looking for – great ideas for my two little ones! Thanks for sharing such great finds.

15. alison says:

Great tutorials for boys! I love the freezer paper stencils.

16. shannon says:

Thanks for all the great links. I love that tshirt pants tutorial, I’ve made several pairs for my son.

17. Mindy says:

Where was this when my baby was little?? I don’t think he would let me dress him this adorably now that he is 15!

18. Mika says:

Thank you thank you thank you for the link to Amy’s freezer-paper t-shirt tutorial. My mom knows I do lots of crafty projects, and she gives me freezer paper almost every Christmas. I’m not big into doing applique, but I do have a bad habit of buying lots of colored tees. Now I can stencil them!!

19. Mika says:

I have 4 boys and no girls, and they are just as desperate for mommy made things as any little girl, it’s just SO hard to actually find things that are cute to do once they start getting a bit older and out of the sleeper stage! These tuts are great, can’t wait to try the pants…with 4 boys, they’re always needed!

20. roberta says:

Thanks for the pants tutorial, looks very do-able. Just in time for cooler weather. :)

21. Violet says:

Thanks for the links to the boys tutorials….I am always on the look out for boys things to make. :-)

22. Becky says:

Cute tutorials, thanks!

23. Jen says:

Oh, thank you for the link to the pants tutorial! I saw that two years ago, back before I really trusted myself to sew anything, and once I felt ready, I couldn’t remember where I had seen it. Thanks!

24. Georgia says:

I love the t-shirt pants, what a great idea! I’m pretty sure everyone else has a massively horrid collection of old t-shirts like we do too.

25. Cheryl says:

Rookie Moms tutorial on the t-shirt pants is too cute. My little boy is too big now, but I’m making these for my friend’s son….great idea and way to recycle!!! Thanks for posting.

26. Bridget says:

These are all great ideas!

27. Jean says:

Ooh! I am so excited about these ideas- there are so many great fabrics out there for little boys and I can’t wait to use them to make some cool pants for my 2 1/2 yr. old son! Thanks for the inspiration!

28. Monique says:

I am so excited to see stuff I can make for my 2 boys (boys don’t have to much we can make them…………….)
    BRAVO for all the tutorials here!!!!
    Thank you, Thank you !

I am going to be busy, busy!!!!!

29. Tammy says:

Those are some cute boys clothes!

30. Emily says:

Great ideas! I definitely think it’s more difficult to create cute boy clothes than girl ones, so thanks for the inspiration!

31. Angela James says:

Though my toddler isn’t a boy, I love the tutorial for the easy kids’ pants. I’ve been wanting to try to make pants for my daughter. And I’m sure I have a few outdated t-shirts around here that would make great lounge tee pants for her. Thank you!

32. zoe says:

My boys are 12 and 16 now, and both in adult sizes, but yes, when they were little I remember thinking “I could make them stuff IF there were any decent patterns”. It’s good to see that is changing.

33. Paula says:

Thank you again and again!

34. Lola says:

Thanks for the links! Making clothes is the ONLY reason I would have been happy to have a girl.

35. Thank you for the mention!

I just bought freezer paper and paint last weekend. Perhaps this weekend I will sew a pair of pants to stencil. And now that Owen will wear his apron, that dishtowel version sounds like an excellent idea.

36. Your blog looks great. I will certainly try out some of these links. And… love seeing my little boy up there!

37. meg says:

Oh great! I was just thinking this morning about how much I bet my son would enjoy a cape. Perfect timing!

38. kirsten says:

thanks for the links – it’s hard to find crafty boy stuff. i’ve made the bandanna pants and the tshirt pants – they really are very easy!