November 1 ~ Aprons

on November 1 | in Handmade Holidays | by | with 99 Comments

Everyone can use a good apron. Even if you already have several, a new one is always special. Matching aprons for couples? Aprons to help your favorite crafter or Laundry King/Queen with their “work?” Little aprons for the youngest cooks in the family? Add a cookbook, kitchen or craft tools, some homemade jam, or special seasonings and you have a lovely, thoughtful gift. Here are some of our favorite apron tutorials so you can get started working on your gift list right now!
Half Apron
Crystal from The Longest Year made this half apron with a matching oven mitt for her Nana: Half Apron Tutorial. Crystal adds, “I also think aprons (simple or complex) make a great ‘sewing circle’ project among girlfriends. My military- spouse friends and I used to get together for the occasional girls’ night while our husbands were deployed and we’d commiserate about the war while we sewed aprons as gifts.”
Dishtowel Apron
Turn your favorite dishtowel into an apron for a child with Randi’s Dishtowel Apron Tutorial via her blog, i have to say…
Craft Apron
Autum from Creative Little Daisy wrote this excellent Craft Apron Tutorial, inspired by an apron in a Japanese craft book.
Lined Apron
Louise shares this Lined Apron Tutorial via her blog, Lululollylegs. Louise loves to create, “…Aprons, bags, quilts and other bits and pieces” at home in Melbourne, Australia.

Pattern Recommendation

If you’d like to try a pattern, we suggest this one:

Val’s Kitchen Apron

Fabric Recommendations

Here are just a handful of fabrics we love for these projects:

Beth’s choice Kristin’s choice Lauren’s choice
spacer spacer

Click the pattern or fabric images above to visit the Sew, Mama, Sew! store.

More about the Sew, Mama, Sew! Handmade Holidays.

Show us how you create Handmade Holidays! Join our Handmade Holidays photo pool!

We respect the copyright of all crafters.
All links and photos from blogs on our Handmade Holidays posts are used with permission.

99 Responses to November 1 ~ Aprons

1. Brook says:

oh goodness, it didn’t post the url.. here it is… http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sewingaprons/

Brook

2. Brook says:

I also have a love of aprons. I do love your gift ideas. I want your apple – pear fabric!!! Just darling! There is a group of apron lovers and we share patterns, ideas, comments, and friendship. Come join us!

3. I love all of the gift ideas! I just wanted you to know that I’ve just recently posted a free apron pattern on my blog (under Free Patterns, the Three Quarters Apron) and you’re welcome to use that here if you like. Thanks for the great ideas!

4. Kim says:

Cute!!! I love the aprons that Creativeoutletdesigns.com makes too. Super stylish!

Kim

5. Leah says:

What a wonderful idea – and just what I needed right now!

6. marcia says:

Hi, I was gonna pick up a pattern for an apron as I have had the bug to make one for quite awhile. Thanks to you, I dont’ have to. Can’t wait to get started! Marcia

7. Pinky says:

Oh, so many good ideas and all so practical!
    Thanks!

8. Kris says:

The tutorials look great! I will have to try one. I am making my grandmas aprons for Christmas this year. They both love to cook, so this will be perfect!

9. Ekioart says:

Thanks so much for these patterns, I have aprons down on my list to make this year as I’ve been wanting one thats not strictly Christmas in theme. Not to mention I want to make ones for my boys!

10. Loopy says:

Oh sweet! You should totally enter them into Craftzine’s apron contest! Nicely done!

11. Megan Duquette says:

this apron is an awesome idea! I have a feeling my grandma’s are each going to get one this christmas. Perhaps even a kiddie sized one for my son. I just found this website and have to say, it is going to be addictive!

12. What a great idea! Made my first apron last week! Kind of looks it too, but I am glad I tried!

13. marcie says:

That dishtowel apron is just too cute. And I know just who I am going to make it for! Thanks for the ideas!

14. Concha says:

Lovely aprons — thanks!!

15. Anjanette says:

oh my, I NEED that craft apron! But this is supposed to be about gift giving right… geesh! :)

16. Cindi says:

Twenty four hours ago, I didn’t blog or start and finish a sewing project….and now I am the momma of a new apron!!!! What fun! Thanx for sharing your gifts.

17. Kristine says:

Yay! Aprons! I’m super excited for this month!

18. meowy says:

I have a great apron made for my mother in law :) Along with matching cotton towels and dinner napkins. It’s a half apron, ties at the waist with little pockets made of red and apple fabric.

19. Alisa says:

I am so excited about your month-long theme of Handmade for the Holidays!! So much fun!

20. Aloutka says:

When I look at these fabulous fabrics and tutorials I feel really, really bad – I do not have an apron yet! The only funny apron I had was oil cloth tagged “Dinner was small, but I’ll be nice in the night”. Now I have to try something new. Great idea of a guide for sewers – new and experienced. (I placed a banner of this wonderful idea at my blog, of course)

21. Coralee says:

I can think of a few people who will be getting one of these!

22. Desiree says:

I’ve been meaning to do the dishtowl one and now I’m going to do it!

23. Jennifer says:

I dont actually own an apron but Ive been thinking about making one since Im just starting out sewing and I love to cook and bake. I really like the dish towel one for my lil ones

24. Jean says:

Very cool ideas- I like the varierty but especiaaly like the lined apron!

25. Lisa Clarke says:

My very first sewing project (way back five whole months ago, LOL!) was an apron. I can’t recommend Lotta Jansdotter’s pattern from her book enough – very empowering for a newbie sewer like myself.

The kids’ aprons got me thinking – I would’t have initially thought it would be a good gift for my 9-and-12-year-old nephews, but actually I might be able to turn it into a nice “bonding in the kitchen” kind of gift for them and my sister. Particularly if I use novelty fabric and buy them a cookbook with some kind of gross-out factor ;-)

26. MaryBeth says:

I love these aprons. These are perfect for the sister-in-laws!! Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

27. Tammy says:

I’m dying here, I tell you! I just took my machine in to get some routine maintenance done, and they told me it would be about 10-12 days. ACK! And all these cute projects coming up too! Oh, I should have waited, but I had this nifty coupon that got me $25 off (basically 1/2 off the service I am having done). So…any hand sewing? I think I’ll make the shrinky dink pins in Nov. 2nd’s post! That’s a good non-sewing project! I’m loving all these projects, even if I rendered myself incapable of sewing for the next two weeks!!!

28. Becky says:

I love wearing aprons!

29. Mim says:

I’ve made the dishtowel apron for a friends little girl. Can’t wait to try some of the others.

30. Chantel says:

Oh Love it! I totally have apron on my To make list this year for my little neice. Thanks!!

31. Deb G says:

Love your idea for November! I’m going to be making a garden apron for one of my relatives….

32. Natalie says:

Oh dear… I should have specified: I think Lululollyleg’s tutorial is wonderful. Thank you for this theme… I am looking forward to seeing more.

33. Michelle says:

I love this! I love sewing aprons and these tutorials will provide great inspiration for making some holiday gifts. Thank you!!!

34. Natalie says:

What a great way to start the month: This is a wonderful tutorial, and I am not a great sewer, but I have made this apron twice with happy success!

35. Deb says:

Oh my, I love, love, love this idea and can’t wait to try one of the aprons and to follow along this month!!!! You will be my “blog to read while I drink my tea in the morning” Thank you!!!!

36. Solveig says:

What a great list of things to make. I need to make an apron for myself too.

37. Mel Williams says:

Ooh I have to go through my souvenir tea-towels now so I can make my daughter an apron using the dishtowel tutorial. How fun!

38. emily says:

great resources!! thank you so much . . . and can’t wait to see what else is in store for the rest of the month!!!

39. Thank you for these tutorials! I have a sewing machine but have never gotten close to it. I think this month of projects will inspire me!

40. Stephanie O says:

Now I’ll have to put me on my Christmas list so I can make myself an apron! So many presents, so little time…

41. shannon says:

The first day and already some fun new tutorials that I had not seen before. Thanks for the great links and I am looking forward to all of November!

42. Rose says:

The dishtowel apron is so cute!

43. Kristin says:

Thanks for the links! The Stitchin’ Post in Sisters, OR is having an apron contest for the holidays. I may just give it a try!

44. I can just tell this month is going to be full of way too many good ideas! :)

45. aurora fox says:

oh! how did you know I am planning to sew some aprons for holiday gifts???thanks for this post!!!

46. Kara says:

This is going to be so fun! Thank you for putting such a great resource together!

47. Tara says:

Thanks for the great links! My favorite apron is a lot like the Lined Apron, it’s a great thrift store find, nice a frilly in the perfect blue.

48. Abi Buening says:

Love the apron idea.

49. Missy says:

Great ideas and options! I can’t wait to see the rest of the month!!!

50. Adrienne says:

I was sketching/doodling apron designs just yesterday. What a great start to Handmade Holidays! =]

51. shorty says:

What would be awesome is if I could sew each thing you will be showing, HA that will be the day. I really like that green fabric! Thanks for the links
    Shorty

52. Alicia says:

Thank you for the tutorials! I’m so excited about this series.

53. Joan says:

They’re all wonderful –thanks!

54. Olivia says:

Oh I love the fabric in the main picture! SO CUTE! What a great “homemade idea”

55. jennifer w. says:

A few more vintage patterns can be found here: http://oziahz.tripod.com/apronz.htm

56. jeanie allen says:

this is perfect – i love aprons & am soo glad to see them making a comeback – thank you

57. I love aprons! I recently discovered my inner apron diva this year! *snicker*

58. Alisha says:

I love the fabric used for the lined apron. I think I may have to make one for myself. :)

59. Anna says:

Dear mother-in-law’s Chrissie pressie check. Now the hard task of choosing one!! Thanks. Which coast is Sew Mama Sew on? I was so excited about start of Handmade November that I stayed up until 12am Western Austalian time (same as Singapore) but must have just missed the post…. Oh well, there is always tonight…..

60. Sally says:

I love aprons and all of these tutorials are fantastic! I so look forward to the rest of the month, yay!

61. Lisa NYC says:

Yippee!!! The whole Handmade Holidays is such a GREAT idea! Just the inspiration I need to start sewing up some holiday gifts and decor!

I added a whole bunch of other apron tutorials on my blog…so many choices…perhaps I’ll have to make more than one!

Thanks for making sewing fun!

With friendship,
    Lisa

62. Beth H says:

Here are my aprons: http://jusshardesigns.blogspot.com/
    Beth

63. Heather says:

Yeah, the tutorials begin! I just recieved a box of very vintage fabric from my grandmother that is just begging to be turned into something great! A new apron is definately in order!!
    ~Happy Sewing~

64. Carolyn says:

Wow, lots of ideas swirling around in my head….
    Thanks for the inspiration!

65. Here are the two aprons I’ve made recently. I have vintage fabric waiting for me to make another one. I love seeing what others make

Elizabeth Joy

66. cat says:

yay! i love aprons! can’t get enough of them. i think i need to give these to a few friends to get that trend back in style!

67. Carol says:

I really need an apron or two – one for sewing, one for cooking. Thanks for the inspiration!

68. Audrey says:

I’m sooo excited. This Handmade Holiday stuff has made excited about the holidays again. Sometimes doughing out all that money for gifts can be frustrating. This year I’m going to make my gifts and give something I made myself and I’m proud of instead a plastic toy that will end up in the give away box anyway. I look forward to all the topics. Thanks for doing this.

69. Lisa says:

great idea, i can’t wait to start creating!!!

70. Melanie says:

I have a great skirt that was fatally stained on one side, facing a career as a rag when I thought—“APRON!” Any tricks to work with half of a pleated skirt?

Love the handmade holiday countdown!

71. Shelley says:

Making an apron is definitely on my list of craft projects. Now, who to give it to??

72. Ashley says:

Oh my goodness, I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog, this site is exactly what I’m looking for!! I was actually planning on making a fun apron soon, this is perfect. Thanks, I will cine back for more tomorrow.

73. andrea says:

That craft apron is sweet! Like having a Batman utility belt for crafting. I don’t have any aprons at all, maybe I should make one for myself. Not exactly in the spirit of giving, but hey, a girl’s gotta give gifts to herself, right?

I love the idea of Handmade Holidays – can’t wait to see what you come up with for the rest of the month!

74. Violet Westergaard says:

I only have a cafe-style apron. So many nice aprons!

-violet

75. Letty says:

Thanks for these wonderful tutorials, and I love the fabrics!
    Letty

76. Mrs. Pear says:

I am totally encouraged! I am trying to discipline myself to wear an apron when I am cooking and cleaning to save my clothes, but am not doing a good job. So I have some aprons I am dying to make, and will have a trusty assistant in just 6 weeks for 6weeks to get lots done!

I will be adding a couple of these to the list!

77. KushKush says:

Wow… so many types:-)
    I love the idea of coupled aprons-this is a very nice gift…

78. Angie says:

I love aprons! They are so easy to make and fun to wear as well! I even wear aprons when I’m outside with my girls playing.

79. Kacy says:

What a great start to the Handmade Holiday extravaganza!!

80. melissa says:

i’m so excited about all of these tutorials! thanks for this fun month of projects. :)

81. Kiku says:

Love the fabrics and the links! Thank you for putting this series together :)

82. Rachelle Ferris says:

Love the Kaufman fabric, The name says it all – Kitchy Kitchen, perfect for an apron

83. Emily says:

I love the aprons! I need a birthday gift for a friend’s little girl this weekend and now I will make her an apron. Thank you!

84. anne says:

This is what I did for everyone last year! And I have found it is perfect to do his & hers for wedding gifts as well. This year I’m making grocery bags.

I am making one for a friend out of that exact brown fruit fabric!

85. Laura says:

Ooooh, I LOVE the aprons! I’m so excited to get out my fabric stash (to see what I need) and get sewing! I already know of 5 people that will be getting aprons for Christmas this year…

86. renee says:

I’ve got to hit the linen closet and make that kitchen towel apron for my little guy. Too sweet!

87. MelissaB says:

Aprons sure make great gifts! I actually am working on one today for my sister for her birthday and then one for my mom’s birthday too. We have a “family” pattern that was my late grandma’s that we all love (I’m not sure where she got it, but it’s really special to me because it’s traced off onto brown paper and has her handwriting on it). It’s super easy to make and only takes 1.25 yds of fabric.

88. andrea says:

no time to write… must start working now :)

89. amelia says:

wonderful! i can’t wait to try the tutorial for the lined apron!

90. Vickie says:

We have a collection of aprons! None like these those! Can’t wait to get started! Love the fabrics!!
    Thanks,
    Vickie

91. layla says:

I love the craft apron! I am just learning to sew and it really appeals to me – I might add a closeable pocket or 2 to it.

92. Sandy says:

I’ve been making aprons as presents and to sell for a long time now. I’ve never done a reversable one though – I think I’m going to have to give that tutorial a try! Great first day of the Handmade Holidays theme!

93. Lil' d says:

Now I’m going to have to go out and find a dishtowel that isn’t stained beyond all recognition…

94. Karyn says:

What a great way to get this thing started. LOVE aprons! I’m looking forward to seeing all the other great ideas.

95. alison says:

These tutorials look super easy to follow. I’m going to have to try one out-now to decide which one and for whom!

96. Kari says:

Fabulous aprons! Fabulous fabrics! What’s not to love… :)

97. Holly says:

So cool! I can’t wait to see all the other great ideas all month long!

98. Terri says:

This is such a great idea and I love all the great photos! We made all of our gifts for Christmas last year and had so much fun doing it we plan to do it again this year, and I can’t wait to see all the great projects you have listed!
    Also, I love your website and fabrics :-) Three cheers from a fellow Oregonian (in Medford)!

99. Norma says:

So many wonderful ideas to choose from. Thanks so much for the resources and suggestions. This whole series is going to be invaluable.