November 14 ~ Dress the Kids

on November 14 | in Handmade Holidays | by | with 58 Comments

It seems like Kids’ Clothes Month just ended (and some of us still have stacks of projects in the works inspired by the fun)! Today we’re redirecting you to our Boys’ Clothes Tutorials Round-Up and our Girls’ Clothes Tutorials Round-Up because there are so many good projects there to help you create something wonderful. Kids love capes and cozy, new pajama bottoms. Girls would undoubtedly love any of the twirly options, and can’t you just picture a special Chef’s apron or unique freezer paper stencil shirt for any child on your holiday list?

Please feel free to share links to your favorite kids’ clothes tutorials in the comments today. Doing so will share the tutorial love and will also enter you to win one of two $25 gift certificates to Sew, Mama, Sew! this Friday!

Boys’ Clothes Tutorial Round-Up: Chef’s Apron, Easy Kid Pants, Easy T-Shirt Pants, Super Cape, Freezer Paper Stencils, Bandana Pants, Dishtowel Apron
Girls’ Clothes Tutorial Round-Up: Charm Pack Squares Skirt, Pillowcase Dress, Tiered Skirt, Sunny Day Dress & Top, Twirly Skirt, Button Shirt to Toddler Dress, Twirly Skirt, Superhero Cape, Pillowcase Dress, Drop Waist Twirl Skirt, T-Shirt Dress, Smocket

For more inspiration be sure to check out:

• Sew, Mama, Sew! Kids’ Clothes Month photo group
  • Little Jammies Pattern Review
  • Baby Overalls Pattern Review
  • Britches & Bloomers Pattern Review
  • Little Hip Skirts Pattern Review
  • Little Hooded Jacket Pattern Review
  • Tips for Modifying Pants Patterns
  • Our Baby & Child Sewing Patterns
  • Pattern Recommendation

If you’d like to try a pattern, we suggest this one:

Little Jammies

Fabric Recommendations

Here are just a handful of fabrics we love for these projects:

Beth’s choice Kristin’s choice Lauren’s choice
    spacer spacer

Click the pattern and fabric images above to visit the Sew, Mama, Sew! store.

More Handmade Holiday ideas:
    13 ~ Placemats
    12 ~ For the Table
    11 ~ Reading & Writing
    10 ~ Ties & Belts
    9 ~ Fabric Ornaments
    8 ~ Whimsy
    7 ~ For Your Purse or Pocket
    6 ~ Blankets for Baby
    5 ~ Tote Bags
    4 ~ Lunch Bags
    3 ~ For the House
    2 ~ Pincushions & Pins
    1 ~ Aprons

Show us how you create Handmade Holidays! Join our Handmade Holidays photo pool!

We respect the copyright of all crafters.
    All links and photos from blogs on our Handmade Holidays posts are used with permission.

58 Responses to November 14 ~ Dress the Kids

1. Scott says:

This, of course, only makes me want that dress this much more.

2. Lynne S says:

love Kristen’s fabric recommendation. I have never seen that print before.

3. Heather says:

Oooh, I love the little boy pants!

4. Ekioart says:

Lauren’s choice of fabric is so cute! I might just have to have some for a scarf…he he

5. Kari says:

These are great!

6. Carol says:

I think kids jammies are very popular right now. There are so many great fabrics for them too.

7. Angela says:

Love having all of these tutorials to go through — and thanks for linking to my own little tutorial again! Have I mentioned lately how much I love your site?

8. Jean says:

I love all the cute (and free) patterns for kid’s clothes- especially the ideas foe little boys which are much needed!

9. Oiyi says:

The smocket is adorable.

10. Jenny says:

Love having all these great tutorials in one spot. I made the button shirt to toddlers dress with friends & it’s adorable (& easy!).

11. Lynne H. says:

Those patterns and the fabrics are so cute. I am looking forward to sewing for my grandchildren one day…our first is due in early February! Your site is so well laid out – I enjoy visiting!

12. Cocoa says:

We made the twirly skirts in the summer for all six of my daughters. That was so much fun. And talk about easy! I can’t wait to try the freezer paper appliques.

13. Alisa says:

I enjoyed looking at these last time you posted them…. and I enjoyed them again. Amazing creativity out there!

14. Cathy says:

I JUST found your site and LOVE it! I’m feeling very motivated to start sewing again. Not just for my 4 small children but for our home as well! Thank you!! The tutorials are exactly what a beginner seamtress like I need. Thank you again!

15. kara says:

I can’t wait to make an apron for my son!! He loves to make his own pizza dough, and the adult aprons are just too big for him! Thanks so much for the wonderful ideas and links!

16. Glaucia says:

Thank you for the lovely ideas and links. Not only for kids clothes, but the whole idea of Handmade Holidays!
      Here is my kids patterns contribution:
      Free patterns with instructions for period children clothes:
      Free patterns with instructions for kids costumes ( some are to be made with the children, so fun!)
      and here are for Christmas costumes:
      easy kids pants from a t-shirt:
      and the last, directions and diagrams for making a pattern and the finished moccasins:

17. Hi again.

SO great to have this all in one place, I love this little tutorial
      Plus I must recommend the sweetest etsy kids clothing store
      -t

18. Jan says:

Absolutely adorable ideas for the kiddies and fantastic inspirations for projects! Thank you!

19. totally weird that you posted this! i just made the dish towel apron tonight (super fast! and cute!)!

20. Teddi says:

So much to do – not enough days until Christmas! There’s always next year…but I think my cold winter months will be busy! Thanks for all the lovely photos and tutorials – this site is a wonderful find!

21. Tricia says:

I love the mens shirt to toddler dress, I’ve made tons and they are all so dang adorable.

22. Sonnja says:

What a lovely dress and a lovely lttle girl too!
      Kind regards,

Sonnja,from the Netherlands

23. Kara says:

I love the Flat Pants pattern at the bottom of this page:
      I’ve made several pair. They are just perfect for toddlers.

24. Lindsay says:

These are so great!! Thanks!

25. Candace says:

Wow, what a great idea. I always make homemade things for gifts at Christmas. This year I am doing purses (and quilts), so I can’t wait until November 17th. Fun, fun, fun.

26. Anna says:

I love these general sewing tips/skills etc which you can download from the New Mexico State University: http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/ . You have to order the sewing for young children booklet but it worth it. Funny, it was through googling children’s clothing tutorials that I found your great blog!! Thanks. (^o^)

27. My very favorite things to sew—cute kids’ clothing!

I have a quick silk pants tutorial of mine on my blog along with several other tutorials, if anyone is interested!

Thanks for continuing to inspire us!

With friendship,
      Lisa

28. lindsey says:

i just tried the ruffle skirt tutorial from grand revival, and its adorable and super easy. thanks for the link!

29. Karin says:

I just love what you have done here! I am so inspired to have an all \handmade Christmas that I am about to bust! :)
      Thanks so much for all of your hard work. It is greatly appreciated.

30. Julia D says:

2 kids, 4 nephews and 1 niece! these are great! (LOVE the charm pach skirt)

31. Lil' d says:

Here’s one I plan on trying for my daughter – I just found a great fabric for it:

32. Christie says:

Just what I’ve been looking for! Thanks

33. Hayes says:

Lots of great kids’ clothes tutorials here! Sewing mamas is a great space!

34. Sarah says:

Not sure if I got this from you guys (!) but I love this ruffled skirt tutorial here – http://grandrevivaldesign.typepad.com/photos/ruffled_skirts_tutorial/index.html. So cute, but alas I can’t remember who told me about it!

35. Rose L says:

I made the T-shirt pants for my son… They took no time at all. GREAT idea.

36. such adorable ideas! i am definitely inspired!! :) thank you!

37. Missy says:

Thank you! Thank YOU! THANK YOU!!!

38. serina says:

Too much cute stuff! Loving all of these tutorials!

39. Concha says:

I have no kids but I still love all the info!

40. Addie says:

So many great ideas! Keep ‘em coming!

41. Veronica Combs says:

Thanks for finding plenty of ideas for boys. I love to sew, but it’s sometimes hard to find stuff for the little guys.

42. Natalie says:

I need this post… my daughter turns three this month and I want to make her something special! Thank you.

43. Joy says:

If I could only get to the bottom of my to do pile! There are so many wonderful ideas here!!! Thanks again for all the incredible ideas!!!

44. Renee says:

Thank you!

Personally, I am on a shoe fettish right now, making slippers for my little guy. Here are some fun links, one with a pattern for slippers (adjustable size, great for toddlers and preschoolers) – http://www.tackyliving.com/article.php?id=121 and one for cloth shoes for infants – http://stardustshoes.blogspot.com/2006/10/cloth-shoe-pattern.html

45. Kacy says:

Cool fabric choice, Kristin!

46. Celeste says:

I have referred back to the Round-ups several times in the last month–thanks for the fantastic links! And that middle fabric is adorable.

47. Lindsey says:

Thank you for these! I had planned on making capes for my nephews, son, and daughter as holiday gifts this year and now I don’t have to reinvent the wheel!

48. mama k says:

Thanks for more inspiration! I especially like that there is a nice selection of boys ideas somewhere.

49. Lori says:

I have been loving this month’s tutorial posts!! I’ve been keeping a list of those I intend to try…these cute kids’ things may just get me motivated! I was going to post the exact same link as Roseanne! Here’s one for baby shoes that I think would be great adapted a little to make slippers for bigger kids as well.

50. alison says:

Here’s a link to a super cute fleece lion hat tutorial. It would be easy to change this up and make any other type of animal. http://www.instructables.com/id/Customizable-Fleece-Hats/
      I haven’t tried this tutorial yet, but it looks like fun!

51. Isabelle says:

This is fantastic! I was racking my brains for my one-year-old nephew’s Christmas gift. Now I know! A little hooded jacket! Thank you so much :)

52. Sheila says:

Such great links! Thanks!!! Here’s my chance at the $25…Heather Bailey’s Bitty Bootie pattern link. They are soooo adorable! http://www.heatherbaileydesign.com/Booties.html

53. nikkapotamus says:

I so adore the little charm square skirt!
      So much inspiration here.

54. Holly says:

Sundresses and twirl skirts, cute!!!

55. andrea says:

i keep saying i am going to make something for kids but never seem to do it? what’s up with that, i wonder.

56. Ira says:

You tutorial so beautiful and easy . Thank you.

57. Roseanne says:

I love having all these ideas in one place! I’m not sure which one to try first!
      Here is a ruffled skirt tutorial. http://grandrevivaldesign.typepad.com/photos/ruffled_skirts_tutorial/index.html
      Ruffled Skirts Tutorial

58. Vickie says:

This is a great incentive to get my pile a little smaller and then a little bigger again!
      We have skirts to make, a vest and now I am sure we will add some pjs to the pile!!!
      Great fabric choices!!