November 24 ~ Sachets & Therapy Pillows

on November 24 | in Handmade Holidays | by | with 44 Comments

Give the gift of enhanced relaxation with aromatherapy in the new year! Today we have easy sachet and therapy pillows to make, give and even to enjoy yourself. You deserve some relaxation too, don’t you?!
Rice Heat Therapy Bag
Did you see Kristin’s fantastic Rice Heat Therapy Bag Tutorial? You’ll read it and will then immediately leap across the room to get started on several bags. It even includes touches of Lauren’s talent too, with her gift tag PDF for you to download. Have fun!
Lavender Eye Pillow
Do you know about Amy Butler’s great selection of free patterns? Scroll down for her Lavender Eye Pillow Pattern (you’ll be distracted by everything else so you must stay focused!) for a great how-to on a slipcover and carrying case in PDF format.
Lavender Bird Pillow
Megan from the scent of water gives you the confidence to lend vintage linens (or any other fabric you love) new life in her lovely Lavender Bird Pillow Tutorial.

Pattern Recommendation

If you’d like to try a pattern, we suggest this one (easily adapted for some aromatherapy fun):

Pieced Pincushions

Fabric Recommendations

Here are just a handful of fabrics we love for these projects:

Beth’s choice Kristin’s choice Lauren’s choice
spacer spacer

Click the pattern and fabric images above to visit the Sew, Mama, Sew! store.

More Handmade Holiday ideas:
6 ~ Blankets for Baby
5 ~ Tote Bags
4 ~ Lunch Bags
3 ~ For the House
2 ~ Pincushions & Pins
1 ~ Aprons

Show us how you create Handmade Holidays! Join our Handmade Holidays photo pool!

We respect the copyright of all crafters.
All links and photos from blogs on our Handmade Holidays posts are used with permission.

Join our Handcrafters’ Holidays Blog Meme! It will be fun!

44 Responses to November 24 ~ Sachets & Therapy Pillows

1. Brandee says:

They are all too cute! So many ideas for Xmas gifts and things for myself… thanks!!

2. Beth says:

Love these! Just made 2 for my daughters. They have dubbed them bo-bo bags. Black canvas with smiley face covers. They are actually looking forward to their next bo-bos! Thanks for such a great idea!

3. Oiyi says:

The therapy bag looks like a nice stocking stuffer.

4. adrienne says:

This is on the list for my over-worked, under-appreciated boyfriend! =]

5. Sandy says:

Love the idea of the heatable rice pillow. I’d love to throw that into my bed about 10 minutes before I get in to heat up icy spot where my feet go.

6. Kensie says:

Beautiful, great gift ideas!

7. Laura Croce says:

Hi! I was making a bird ornament, with hand embroidery, but when I saw the lavender filled sachet, I had another idea…CAT TOY!!!! My father, out of the blue, brought home a new kitten, (Simcha) and now we have two cats. I sewed up the little birdie, but put in stuffing and cat nip instead of lavender. I did not embroider all over the bird, because my cats would destroy it,..I just put little X’s on the eyes.
    Simcha loves it, but my older cat, Misha, isn’t into ‘the nip’. Oh well, to each their own.

8. Rose L says:

For the therapy bag with buckwheat instead of rice, where do you find the buckwheat? Just the local grocery store?

9. Mika says:

The bird sachet is great! Cute and much less ordinary than a simple rectangular bag tied at the top!!

10. Claudia~L says:

I love Amy’s fabric and patterns. Haven’t tried this one yet……

11. Teresa says:

Great ideas. I will make the rice bag for the family gift exchange. I don’t know anyone in the family that won’t like it. Thanks!

12. Javede says:

I might try the lavender eye pillow…darn, my list gets longer and longer ;-)

13. Michele says:

These are too cute!

14. dott says:

Just got pointed to your site – it’s great! Thanks for the very timely inspiration :o)

15. Natalie says:

I want to make everything you’ve shared with us… I wish all of these tutorials were collected last January… lol!

16. Molly says:

Love these!!! Can’t get my Christmas list organized because everyday I find something else I want to make for gifts.

17. Anna says:

Ohh, I have always wanted to know how to make my own heat/cold packs. Thank you now I can have some very pretty ones instead of the ugly ones I acquired soon after I injured both my back and knee a few years back. BTW can I bottle your blood Kirsten, Beth and Lauren?? Your links to tutorials are making it soooo easy for me to keep my handmade Christmas pledge. Good on you.

18. Serena says:

I love the bird sachet–a very cute way to have a hint of lavendar about your pillow!

19. the little bird pillow is adorable :)

20. Kim says:

Those eye pillows are great for a migraine too.

21. You have just solved a gift idea problem I’d been having. Thanks!

22. Rachel says:

Does anyone have suggestions about where to get lavender to use for sachets? Or is it just fine to use oil? I’m a young’un, and this is the first Christmas I have ventured past cross stitched ornaments for presents. :)

23. melissa says:

that bird! great use for spotted or stained vintage linens…cut out the marks! great idea! thanks!

24. Ashley says:

I love Lauren’s and Beth’s fabric choices! So pretty!

25. Carol says:

I really like the lavender bird pillow – what a great idea! I already have an eye pillow – they are great for naps.

26. Alison says:

The Amy Butler link is really great! thanks :)

27. stacy says:

I love the bird therapy pillow!

28. Deb says:

Thank you for posting the link to the eye pillow. Very useful; I’m headed to check it out.

29. Samantha says:

What a sweet use for vintage linens. And I love Beth’s fabric choice.

30. oh my…each project is cuter than the next!!! Great for gift giving!!!

I just posted my silk potpourri sachet tutorial along with many others on my blog.

Beth…what is the name of that fabric? It’s darling!!!

I had better get back to the sewing room if I am ever going to make it in time for Christmas…LOL!

Have a great weekend!

With friendship,
    Lisa

31. Erin says:

Just wanted to say thanks so much for finding all the tutorials and putting them together. I love it! I just stumbled across your site and already have a pile of ideas I’m dying to try out. Can’t wait to get started! Thanks again, I’ll definatly keep coming back.

32. Tabitha says:

Distracted is putting it mildly–thank you so much for the link to the free Amy Butler patterns! I’m swooning over the fabric leaves right now. Actually, all the tutorials have been wonderful and have really inspired me to sew some handmade gifts this year.

33. kim says:

Oh another wonderful day of goodies to make. Thank you

34. Missy says:

Can’t wait to get started. Go to sleep kids!

35. Heather B says:

Great gifts to help get ME through the holidays!

36. Violet says:

Love that lavender bird pillow! Too cute!
    -violet

37. Kacy says:

Wow. You’ve outdone yourself, Kristin. I can’t wait to try that tutorial!

38. wonderful gift ideas for anyone on your list!

39. Lil' d says:

Kristin’s fabric choice would be perfect for my daughter’s room.

40. Deb G says:

The bird pillow is so sweet. I’m certainly going to make one!

41. Charli says:

Ha! I left a comment on Kristins’ tutorial only to see that all the eye pillows here have lavender in them! Sorry- a little late, eh?! My technorati feed thingy isn’t working as it should so I am behing on everything…

42. Vickie says:

I have been wanting to do these! I will definitely have to make some this year!
    Your ideas have been so helpful and great that I will be up until midnight Christmas Eve!!!LOL
    Thanks again for all of the ideas!!!

43. nicolette says:

Thanks for another day full of inspiration. It’s a daily joy ti visit and be inspired!

44. Angie says:

These are great. Especially after the madness of holiday shopping. Thank you for posting these!