November 3 ~ For the House

on November 3 | in Handmade Holidays | by | with 56 Comments

Today’s gift ideas are all about making a house a home. Help the coziness factor of friends’ and family’s homes with these rug, mat, door stop and draft excluder tutorials:
Rag Rug
Eren, from This Vintage Chica, learned how to make rag rugs from her Grammer Shirley when she was a little girl. She passes on her knowledge to you with this Rag Rug Tutorial.
Nine-Patch Door Stop
Elizabeth designed these patchwork door stops to share with you. For more on the door stops see her post on her blog, Oh, Fransson! There you can also download a full-color Nine-Patch Door Stop Tutorial PDF (in the upper, right-hand sidebar).
Simple Appliqué Bath Mat
Megan, from the scent of water, shows how to make a cute, appliqué addition to your bathing routine with this Simple Appliqué Bath Mat Tutorial.
Dog (or Snake) Draft Excluder
Abi shares how to stop drafts with her Dog (or Snake) Draft Excluder Tutorial via Crafty Crafty.
Recycled Bath Mat
Montessori by Hand‘s Meg shows how to repurpose with style in her Recycled Bath Mat Tutorial.

Pattern Recommendation

If you’d like to try a pattern, we suggest this one:

Feather Your Nest

Fabric Recommendations

Here are just a handful of fabrics we love for these projects:

Beth’s choice Kristin’s choice Lauren’s choice
spacer spacer

Click the pattern or fabric images above to visit the Sew, Mama, Sew! store.

More Handmade Holiday ideas:
2 ~ Pincushions & Pins
1 ~ Aprons

Show us how you create Handmade Holidays! Join our Handmade Holidays photo pool!

We respect the copyright of all crafters.
All links and photos from blogs on our Handmade Holidays posts are used with permission.

56 Responses to November 3 ~ For the House

1. Trish Lapp says:

I love the bathmat idea! Think I’m going to try that with some of my stash instead of looking for one in the stores. I was wondering what to use the old towels for instead of rags.

2. Kim Olsen says:

I’m enjoying all the ideas! Was inspired by the bathmat tutorial. I am using rectangles rather than squares. My new (!) sewing machine has lettering capabilities, so am putting a verse of the hokey pokey, left foot, onto various rectangles, and then will put only left foot outlines on it!

3. Jodi of Jolynncreations says:

I am definately tucking this one away. I already have the fabric in mind! I love all the inspirations I am getting! Jodi

4. beki says:

I’ve GOT to make one of those draft snakes for my sewing studio.

5. I like the door stop. It’s so clean as compared to the funny animals, angels, and other whimsical creatures I have seen in peoples houses before. I can imagine many variations on this one too. Hmm….creative jucies are flowing….

6. linda p says:

ooh, i love the nine patch door stop. i’m already thinking of all the handmade things i could make this xmas….

7. Kim says:

I made the recycled bath mat!!! Pretty cute pattern. I had some boo boos but saw as I went what to do for the next time as there definatly will be a next time-thanks for a great idea!!!!

8. meg says:

the rag rug is beautiful!

9. Kim says:

Oh my goodness, I love the scrappy bathmat and I have a billion 2 1/2″ squares here for scrap quilts precut :) Now to find a less than perfect towel to try this out on.
    Thank you for all these great ideas …I’m wondering if 30 days will be enough??

10. Hettie says:

What fantastic ideas! I think I’ll try the draft exculder for my mom… you can actually feel the air coming under her door! I think I’ll make it look like her poochie Maxx.

Thank you again for these wonderful ideas!

11. mama k says:

I just love this series! I am going to try out the rag rug for my kitchen.

12. Natalia says:

Yay!!! your fixing my Xmas!! When one crafts all gifts we give is goot to start one or 2 months early! Now I should’t be surfing the web but doing something! ha Adieu

13. Ekioart says:

I love that doorstop! I am off to try one out now. ^-^

14. Deb says:

I really like the idea of making a bath mat — I wouldn’t have thought of that, but how nice would that be!

15. Jean says:

Ooh- now I have to learn to crochet so I can make the rag rug! The only problem with all these tutorials is that I can’t keep up with them!

16. Loving these tutorials! Thanks:)

17. Sandy says:

I’m planning on making at least one of those doorstops for a Christmas present for my folks, currently they are using old Gallo wine jugs filled with sand.

18. Hashi says:

I made a doorstop yesterday and a bath mat today. I am addicted!!

19. Georgia says:

oooh I love that patchwork bath mat! I’d be afraid to put something that beautiful on my bathroom floor…! Luckily my friends are cleaner than I am, so I can always make it as a gift:)

20. Tina M. says:

Love the doorstop. :)

21. Oiyi says:

Very cute projects!

22. marcie says:

Wonderful projects – I’m looking through my scraps tonight to start a recycled bath mat. Thanks.

23. Kari says:

Gotta make one of those door stops. These are fabulous ideas!

24. Concha says:

The doorstop is my favourite! I think I’m gonna give it a try!

25. Janice says:

You guys have outdone yourselves and it’s only day three, lol! I LOVE that doorstop :)

26. renee says:

I am so loving all these great ideas and it’s only day 3! I don’t think I’ll have to go shopping at all this year. Thanks for all the lovely ideas!

27. amelia says:

the doorstop tutorial is great. i made a doorstop based on the one in lotta jandsotter’s ‘simple sewing’, but it was so huge. this one looks just right.

28. Karen says:

We have an annoying door that won’t stay open and other props just don’t do nor look very pleasing. This one is perfect! Just what we need. Perhaps if others see it they’ll have to have one too…..? Thank you for this incredible idea and the many others!

29. Missy says:

I was JUST looking at buying a rag rug for my kitchen. HELLO- I can make one now!

30. Samantha says:

I’m loving all of the gift ideas! So many of these projects are things I’ve been wanting to make, and you’re providing lots of inspiration and motivation. Thanks!

31. Lisa NYC says:

Love them all! I’m going for the appliqued bathmat…going to do a Paris theme or crown applique for my daughter’s bathroom. Finally found a use for the expensive pink towels she has stained the ends of the towel with mascara…LOL!

32. Rachael says:

WOW! I love the recycled bath mat with the outline for feet. Day 3 and I am hooked, my bookmarks folder is in overdrive.

33. Celeste says:

Cute! This week’s tutorials have been wonderful so far!

34. Vickie says:

Oh, I know I am going to do a rug! I have been wanting to do one for along time!! You just gave me the inspiration that I need to get started!!!
    I will probably make the door stop for a gift!
    Thank you for sharing this with us!
    Vickie

35. Dallas says:

Ooh, I think I might have to try a few of these for Christmas gifts. Thank you for posting all of these tutorials.

36. Anna says:

Ohh, so many gifts taken care of today: bestie with also get a bathmat (to go with pincushion), new mat for mum’s new floorboards, draft extractor puppy for daughter’s room (could double as a toy, goodbye old trashed pillow), door stop for father-in-law’s study!! Day 3 and I have most of my gifts sewn up (sic).

37. Karen says:

Cant wait to see what else is coming. Thanks, what a great idea.

38. KushKush says:

Wow the quilt rag – so cute

39. Shelley says:

I just made a draft stopper last week, that snake one is too cute. My daughter would love it!

40. Holly says:

I definitely want to try that bathmat. What a cool idea!

41. Carol says:

I love the doorstop! I need a nice soft one like this.

42. Sandy says:

I have often thought about trying a rag rug and you may have just put me over the edge so I have to do it. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the month has to offer!

43. Amy M. says:

The rag rug and the door stop will be the perfect gifts for my husband’s home office! I can’t wait to get started with all of these projects.

44. Ashley says:

ADORABLE!! Everything. I really like the recycled bath mat!!

45. Kacy says:

The bath mat tutorial is great! Can’t wait to try it out…

46. Jennifer H. says:

I love this months theme!!! Everyday I can’t wait to see the idea of the day, and the format is great, very user friendly. Thanks so much.

47. shannon says:

I love the doorstop. Thanks for the great links.

48. Mystele says:

The excitement is growing in this making-addicted mind of mine!

49. meowy says:

The scraps rug and the door stop would make my house so much better. I think a bath mat would be good too, storebought bath mats don’t fit in our wee tiny bathroom. The layout is the worst, it eats up with litle space there is ugh.

I want to get a zipper foot. Seeing it in action on the door stop photos, now I know why my zippers always look so bad.

50. Stephanie says:

I love the bath mat idea. Never thought of that before….

51. Lil' d says:

It never even ocurred that rag rugs were made by crocheting rag strips…

52. Rachelle says:

I didn’t know about the Amy Butler Coverlet pattern. I will have to try that out!

53. Jennifer says:

I really like the dog draft excluder. My son loves dogs (hes 17 months) Im sure he’ll love one of these in the house! Thanks for the ideas for the home

54. Sarah says:

I will definitely try the rag rug–my grandmother used to have those things everywhere! What a cool bit of nostalgia.

55. adrienne says:

The applique bathmat is cute, especially for a kid’s bathroom. You can even make a matching applique robe or towel set. =]

56. Alisha says:

The doorstop is adorable. I don’t know whether I’ll make any for gifts, but I might have to make a few for myself.