November 6 ~ Blankets for Baby

on November 6 | in Handmade Holidays | by | with 49 Comments

These are all fantastic tutorials if you want to make blankets for babies (and really, who doesn’t want to make cozy things for the babies on your list?!). Using some of these same techniques you can also make great gifts for kids, grandparents and really anyone else on your holiday gift list if you match your fabrics to the recipient; a snuggly lap blanket would be lovely as they enjoy a good book or show!
Patchwork Blanket
Amy guides you with her Patchwork Blanket Tutorial in a way that gives you both confidence and beautiful finished products. Visit her happythings blog for Part 1 (Design & Cutting), Part 2 (Sewing a Patchwork Top), Part 3 (Adding the Chenille Back) and Part 4 (Tying your Blanket); Amy makes it easy to mix and match techniques to make your own version.
Stroller Quilt
Susan of joybucket shares her Stroller Quilt Tutorial in PDF format. She’s loved creating throughout her life and went to art school (graduating with an emphasis in illustration). Susan adds that while much of her job history does not relate to the arts she recently decided she was meant to create and illustrate. Susan writes, “So, here I am, jumping in, running to it arms flapping… Let the fun begin!” She does it all with her four year old inspiring her at every turn.
Chenille Backed Blanket
Linda of Craft Apple notes this is a great project for someone new to sewing. She guides you, step by step, in her Chenille Backed Blanket Tutorial. In addition to her many free tutorials on her blog you can visit the Craft Apple shop for Linda’s patterns.

Pattern Recommendation

If you’d like to try a pattern, we suggest this one:

Boutique Crib Quilt

Fabric Recommendations

Here are just a handful of fabrics we love for these projects:

Beth’s choice Kristin’s choice Lauren’s choice
spacer spacer

Click the pattern or fabric images above to visit the Sew, Mama, Sew! store.

More Handmade Holiday ideas:
5 ~ Tote Bags
4 ~ Lunch Bags
3 ~ For the House
2 ~ Pincushions & Pins
1 ~ Aprons

Show us how you create Handmade Holidays! Join our Handmade Holidays photo pool!

We respect the copyright of all crafters.
All links and photos from blogs on our Handmade Holidays posts are used with permission.

49 Responses to November 6 ~ Blankets for Baby

1. Shannon says:

i like your baby blankets that you sewed because therte are justy so incredible thanks foir making htis website like you did

2. haohao says:

3. Kati says:

I was just thinking that i needed to start making baby gifts because i know so many expecting couples right now, and then boom you post exactly what i needed! Thank you so much! I look forward to the rest of November!

4. Kabira says:

My sister’s shower just got moved up 2 months!! (don’t ask – it was a mother-in-law thing) So I’m going the easy-peezy fringed fleece route for Saturday — but the ‘real’ blankie will be ready by her January due date!

5. erin says:

I printed off the pattern for the chenille backed baby blanket. Now I just have to find the time to complete it! Thanks for posting all these!

6. Tara says:

Oh. My. Word. Someone come and take care of my housework and kids so I can browse this site all day! I have big plans now my friend, big plans. Adding you to my favorite blog list!

7. mj says:

Did you see this? Congratulations! http://www.bloglines.com/about/news#148

8. Oiyi says:

That Patchwork Blanket has always been my favorite.

9. KushKush says:

Wow such good links-I have a lot to learn:-)

10. adrienne says:

Very excited to use Chenille. I haven’t yet, but a blanket is a great place to start =]

11. Heather says:

Ohhhh…a stroller quilt that will STAY on the stroller!!! I love this and will be converting several of our favorite quilts….just in time for our two weeks of cool weather here in Florida!

12. Erin says:

I am new to this site and I love it, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how you submit your stuff for these tutorials. I wanted to submit (for November 6th’s Handmade Holidays) a tutorial for the baby blankets I make and sell at http://www.babybinko.com, but I couldn’t figure out in time how to do it. Can anyone advise me? I would be so grateful. Thanks!

13. rachelle says:

I actually just bought some chenille today!! That Chenille tutorial will be perfect

14. Ekioart says:

Oooh! I’m so making a batch of stroller quilts now ^-^ So many new babies in the family, bound to be a hit.

15. Vickie says:

These ideas are just in time! We are having a new arrival in the spring!!! Thank you so much!

16. Claire says:

Handmade Holidays is a fantastic idea… what a great way to whip the crafting community into a sewing frenzy and bring the spirit of xmas back. I have just finished a quilt for my little one (due on Friday). There’s something so special about creating things for those you love. Thanks for getting us all inspired.

17. Carolyn says:

Wow, another great idea……..only 6 days, and I’m already overwhelmed with ideas and lack of time!
    Maybe next year you should have this emphasis in July, so we have some time to prepare for Christmas……..LOL
    Thanks for all the inspiration……I look forward to seeing what’s posted each day :-)

18. Shelley says:

I love all of those. I have two little daughters who I have tons of blankets planned. I also want to make a few for charity for the holidays, and these look so cute and cozy I may have to make all of them for a good cause!

19. Anna says:

Loving the tutorials. I wish I had found the stroller blanket tutorial during winter…. Would have saved a lot of stop, pick up the blanket, carefully stuff around her pixiness, and walk on…. Oh well, I think I could make a light weight version to make it a sun shield for the harsh Australian summer. I just don’t like those ‘black out’ covers…..

20. Steph W says:

Hello! I just discovered your blog, from Anodyne Design. Thank you for these great links! I’m a new sewer and need all the ideas I can get! :-)

21. Violet Westergaard says:

Our nephew is making his debut in February. That gives me some time to create one of these goodies. Thanks.
    -violet

22. Mel Williams says:

This month of tutorials is awesome! I’m madly storing bookmarks, raiding my stash – I even have a WIP crate especially for all the stuff I’m doing for this month. Thanks ladies!

23. Angela says:

Love your November theme and all of the great ideas I’m getting! Oh my, that reminds me, I have presents to make!!!!! EEEKKKK!!!

24. Mae says:

The stroller blanket would be great! So handy on windy days!

Does anyone know where to find a cute child’s crayon apron pattern or tutorial?

25. Katie says:

Ooooh! I feel like I made such a great find when I discovered this website and I couldn’t help but share it also with my friends. I am just loving this! Thank you so much. This is a really great resource especially for me as my husband is a student and our income is meager and Christmas must be small and budgeted. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

26. Samantha says:

I love baby blankets! Thanks for the great links! My kids are asking for the fleece throws this year that you cut strips and tie them together. But I might not be able to resist doing a *little* sewing on them somewhere… :-)

27. joybucket says:

Thanks for all the positive comments about the stroller quilt. Too bad I hadn’t thought of it when my daughter was little…

If you don’t have adobe acrobat you won’t be able to open the pdf file. Sorry about that. Really, just make a long small quilt and fold it up at the bottom forming a pocket. I made the pattern adjustable by sewing buttons along each side. If you have anymore questions please feel free to email me at joybucket @ gmail . com (remove spaces).

Thanks for all the well wishes. I’m recovering nicely.

28. stacy says:

Since I’m expecting, I plan on making a few baby blankets myself – I just wish I knew if I need to add blues or pinks!

29. Kelly says:

Ooh!! I was just thinking about figuring out a stroller blanket for my daughter when we go running in the evening… I get warm, but she stays chilly. I know what is definitely going on this girl’s “to make” list!! Love Lauren’s fabric of the day, too– super cute!!!

30. Sandy says:

I think I make baby quilts more than any other single craft project. I normally just grab material from my stash and figure out some design. I love the stroller quilt above, that might be what I use for my next baby quilt.

31. Lori Seaborg says:

Funny how my thoughts match this post. I was just off to my studio (an inspiring-sounding title to a corner of my garage) to sew up 2 patchwork blankets for our daughters for Christmas.

All these years (one is 10; the other 4), I’ve collected corduroy and jean clothes as they grew out of them, to one day (NOW, finally!) make a jean/corduroy patchwork blanket for them. As they’ve outgrown the baby blanket I had envisioned, it will have to be lap quilts. I don’t have enough fabric for full-sized blankets for 2 long girls!

Thanks for the tutorial! Now I dont have to blindly figure this out.

32. Joanna says:

Is anyone else out there having trouble opening the stroller blanket file? I really want to make this, but can’t get to it!

33. Stephanie says:

Excellent ideas, will have to save these for when I have a baby

34. Loopy says:

I LOVE Baby fabrics. I am so doing this for some babies I know! Now I don’t have to embrassingly hide my cutesy fabrics around the house ;)

35. mama k says:

I’ve seen that stroller blanket before. What a great one to make. I think I need to make a version of DS’s lovey that ties to the stroller.

36. Jean says:

Oh- the patchworl quilt is so beautiful! I love the fabrics- can’t wait to make one for my baby!

37. Helen says:

Great – I love making things for babies! I am really enjoying this Handmade Holidays idea! Thanks

38. renee says:

I can’t say how much i’m enjoying this month of posts and there’s still so much to come! There’s been at least one project from each post that i’m putting on my to do list!

39. Holly says:

Another round of great tutorials! The Patchwork and Chenille Backed ones look like great projects for beginners like me.

40. this is so fun! this is the first thing i check every morning!

stroller quilt… i have to try that!

41. Joan says:

I love the chenille backs – what a great idea.

42. Chantel says:

Stroller quilt it Brilliant! I tied my fleece jacket around ours just the other day and thought there has to be a better option!
    THANKS! I am totally Loving this! I look forward to the next days treat!

43. Lil' d says:

Bookmarked! Thank you

44. Tina McNamara says:

I love the stroller quilt. That’s such a great idea.

45. Isabelle says:

Oh, what a great idea! Thank you :)

46. Kacy says:

Lauren: Love that fabric selection!!! Very cute :)
    And how cool is that stroller blanket?? I actually had a similar idea the other day when I was fussing w/ my daughter’s blanket while on a walk. Super duper idea!!

47. alison says:

Love the blanket ideas – I’m adding one to my list now.

48. Lisa NYC says:

I’ll be using Craft Apple’s Chenille Backed Baby Blanket Tutorial for baby girl blankets I need to make–love how they go together easily! Gonna embroider the little girls’ names on the fabric side (definitely not going to attempt to embroidery on the chenille). I’ve already created the monogrammed embroidery design files, so off I go to pick out the fabrics!

I’ve posted additional baby blanket tutorials on my blog if anyone needs.

Thanks for the continued sewing inspiration–I am soooooo loving all Sew Mama Sew’s ideas! You girls ROCK!

With friendship,
    Lisa

49. Dawn says:

My baby blanket is on my site today. It is just a 44″ square of flannel with rounded corners and a crocheted edge using #10 crochet cotton.
    Love the examples for today’s feature! Who can resist the baby things? Not me!