November 9 ~ Fabric Ornaments

on November 9 | in Handmade Holidays | by | with 104 Comments

We found several fun and easy ornament tutorials to help you decorate your home in style. A handmade, fabric ornament is also a thoughtful addition to the top of any package. As you create Handmade Holidays be sure to share photos in our Handmade Holidays photo pool!
Embroidered Felt Ornament
Sunshine’s ornaments would be a fun family project, and can’t you just picture those birds all through your home? Sunshine’s Embroidered Felt Ornament Tutorial can be found on her blog, Sunshine’s Creations.
Scrap Fabric Ornament
Melissa’s fantastic Scrap Fabric Ornament “How To” is directly under the photo in Flickr. Melissa has an Etsy shop, Plastic Hearts, and an arts and crafts fundraiser for orphaned children at Craft For China.
Mitten Ornament
Liesl of Disdressed created this great Mitten Ornament Tutorial in an easy-to-print format. She also created a Flickr set with step-by-step instructions and photos.

Fabric Recommendations

Here are just a handful of fabrics we love for these projects:

Beth’s choice Kristin’s choice Lauren’s choice
spacer spacer

Click the fabric images above to visit the Sew, Mama, Sew! store.

More Handmade Holiday ideas:
8 ~ Whimsy
7 ~ For Your Purse or Pocket
6 ~ Blankets for Baby
5 ~ Tote Bags
4 ~ Lunch Bags
3 ~ For the House
2 ~ Pincushions & Pins
1 ~ Aprons

Show us how you create Handmade Holidays! Join our Handmade Holidays photo pool!

We respect the copyright of all crafters.
All links and photos from blogs on our Handmade Holidays posts are used with permission.

104 Responses to November 9 ~ Fabric Ornaments

1. Vtoriam says:

I really like all the christmas projects that are posted here. I’m wondering though what the new projects for 2008 will be like. I think everyone is looking foward to seeing some projects.
    thank you so much for your creativity!

2. Sarah says:

I’ve not incredibly crafty, so something like this is perfect. I have a certain Secret Santa exchange in mind where this’ll fit the bill. Thanks!

3. Cindi Hoppes says:

Hi, I love the ornaments. I like to use them as gift tie-ons and then they can be a keepsake
    Christmas ornament. An ornament can also be passed on from year to year. Thanks, Cindi

4. Maria says:

this is my ornament

Maria

5. these are gorgeous! really amazing.

6. Nissa says:

LOVE these. L-O-V-E! My mother-in-law gave me some fab vintage books with similar projects in them. And I adore feltcraft with gorgeous wool felts. Thanks for inspiring me!

7. Jay says:

Perfect! I was looking at little presents to make for coworkers this weekend! Very helpful. Thanks!

8. Concha says:

These do come in hand: this is my 1st Xmas in my new home and I’ve decided to make all my tree ornaments by hand!

9. Carol says:

The scrap fabric ornament has my name all over it!

10. carol says:

I am making those mittens and giving them to all of the teachers. Thanks :)

11. Linda says:

Oh what fabulous ideas and tutorials!!! I can’t wait to get a bunch of things done for the holidays they will all be so loved!!! thanks so much for the inspiration I sure needed it!! Hugs Linda

12. Just Peachy says:

I LOVE this ornament! I’m definitely making some like this. I would love more
    ideas on felt ornaments!

13. NanaSewn says:

I love felt ornaments they just remind me of childhood. Thank you :o)

14. Veronica says:

SO pretty!! thanks for doing this! I’ve always checked your blog now is a must! :)

15. Minty says:

I love this! It is such a classic! It’ll be sure to hang on the tree for years to come. And I’m sure it would be equally as great stuffed with a bit of potpourri to keep in a drawer or car. Wonderful!

16. robin says:

these are darling! Thanks for the ideas! :)

17. KTHunter says:

The mittens would be a perfect use for my stash of felt! Too cute! I love to give handmade ornaments for gifts, especially if they are something that is hard to find/buy. I’m making a cross-stitched ornament of the “om” symbol for my friend that teaches yoga.

18. Ekioart says:

Ooo…I love the fabric choices for this one. Especially Laurens. Though all three in that ball ornament would be so cute!

19. Alisha says:

Love the mitten ornaments!

20. Lynn says:

There are just not enough hours in a day!

21. tara says:

Oh, me and my husband plan on making these and putting them on blank cards, and send them as our Christmas cards (well, not the round one, that might be a bit bulky!)

22. Letty says:

I love working with felt, thanks for those wonderful tutorials!
    Letty

23. Amy says:

Your killing me! Absolutly killing me! As if I don’t have enough to make for Christmas I keep adding things to my ever so long list! Everything so far has just been great! This is the best tut-round up I have ever seen! Many Thanks!!!!!

24. Meloney Funk says:

Wow, I think you are reading my mind. I need ornaments for some swaps I’m in. These will be cute to make.

25. MaryBeth says:

My mom used to make those bird ornaments. Oh that totally brought back memories! MaryBeth

26. Jodi Leo says:

I Love these ornaments! Thank you! I have printed the instructions. My daughters and I are going to have so much fun with this! We are going to do a Christmas project a day starting right after Thanksgiving! These will be our first! Jodi

27. Jude says:

I love this idea. I’m definitely going to have a go at this.

28. Kahne says:

Hmmm… we get a new ornament every year. Maybe this year I’ll make one!

29. sheryl W says:

Loving checking back each day to see the new great ideas!
    Sheryl

30. Anna says:

Fabulous inspiration for my first Christmas tree!! My Japanese husband could not see the point until our daughter was born and now would like a ‘classy tree’ with my creations. Thank you.

31. Missy says:

Those little mittens are my favorite! I think I’ll have the kids help me make some this year for our tree.

32. trose says:

My MIL would love one of those – I’ll have to add it to my list!

33. Heather says:

i love all the tutorials this week. Just need to pick fabric and go. I really like the felt bird ornaments. Must make those after aprons for BIL & SIL

34. marcia says:

I particularly love the bird, am thinking of doing some of those and also other shapes like maybe a mitten and star. Thanks for the ideas and tuts! Marcia

35. Sheila says:

I’m so glad I found your blog. I’ve been surfing for ideas for Christmas gifts and I found the perfect place– sewmamasew.com !!! I so look forward to see what you will post everyday. I’d really like to tell my friends & family about your site, but I don’t want to because then their Christmas will be spoiled. (I’ll tell them after Christmas) Thanks a bunch!!

36. Kate says:

Oh, thank you! This is just what I need to get my butt in gear on ornaments this year.

37. jessi says:

I love these!

38. Stephanie says:

Oh wow, how did you know this is the year I’m making felt ornaments? *drool* It’s so great to see the work of others, and so very inspirational! Now I just need to put down the internets and get to work! ;)

39. Amanda says:

The little bird ornament from cookie cutters is super cute! What a great idea for a pattern too. I have collected many unusual cookie cutters over the years and this has got me thinking…A running gingerbread man? A gingerbread man with a heart? A ruffle-y heart? A moose? Oooh, the possiblities are endless. I can’t wait to get started!! Maybe tomorrow….unless y’all distract me again with another great gift idea!
    Amanda H/kreativeblonde

40. Emily says:

OH MAN – I love the bird ornament – makes me want to go make one right now… unfortunatly, I have 5 other projects ‘on the table’ right now! So cute! Thanks for all of these great ideas! Em

41. Tammi says:

The embroidered ornaments are wonderful- I am going to make some this weekend. I will have a hard time giving them away!

42. Lil' d says:

Now I’ve got something to make while the kids are making their ornaments – I started a homemade ornament tree last year, but I don’t want to miss out on all the fun.

43. Anna says:

great idea with the fabric scraps!! I am a fabric junkie and these scrap ornaments will help me get rid of some cute fabric.

44. jody says:

I adore those bird ornaments! How great would it be to have a tree full of those along with nature items brought in from the outdoors!!!

45. Cassie Ogle says:

I’m really loving all of these. I can’t wait to make them :)

46. robin says:

Ooh, I’m pretty sure I’m going to “have” to make that adorable bird! That is too darn cute!
    Great ideas.

47. Isabelle says:

That is so adorable! You are making November a fantastic month :)

48. stacy says:

Great ornaments! I especially love the top one – thanks for the links!

49. I am so loving the tutorials. Wish I had more time to sew!

50. Mel Williams says:

The bird ornament reminds me of something we hung on our tree when I was little – I shall have to talk to Mum about it and perhaps surprise her with one I’ve made myself.

51. Sandy says:

Love the fabric ball, that’s a great idea for all of my long thin scraps.

52. thanks so much for all of these great tutorials. I love Sunshines blog, and disdressed. The bird is just what I was looking for to add to my Russian inspired folklore tree this year!

53. Lynne S says:

very very cute

54. sunshine says:

for those that can’t see or use the link to my blog for the embroidered felt ornament tutorial here is teh link for you
    if this link doesn’t work just Google sunshine’s creations and it is on my side bar. Thanks for all the lovely comments on the bird

55. Mika says:

I love those mittens!! And I like how the blanket stitching and the thread loop on the felt ornament are both the same thread.

56. Christy says:

I think I’m going to have a new theme for my tree this year. I love the birds!

57. Diane says:

Darn! Wish I had saved all those little bits for the scrap ornament. Guess I’ll have to buy more! :-)

58. Jean says:

These are beautiful ideas and I have been thinking of making a garland of mittens to hang- this is perfect! Hope I can get it done!

59. dangermom says:

I love the felt ornaments–the bird reminds me of my mom’s (now very old) bird ornaments, made of Chinese silk. I’m going to have to do some of those!

60. Natalie says:

This has been such a wonderful project; thank you for gathering all of these beautiful and generous lessons for us to enjoy and learn from.

61. Renee says:

I can already imagine little mittens strung across my piano . . . I better get to work!

62. burd says:

oh, those birds would make the sweetest package tie ons, too! if personalized to the receiver they would then have their own special ornament, also.

63. erinmalia says:

those mittens are simply adorable. too many ideas, so little time.

64. mama k says:

Lurve those tiny mittens!

I wish I had more time to sew.

65. Loopy says:

Being a non-xmas person, I can finally stop oggling tree ornaments & use them on holiday packages! Genius!

66. Ashley says:

Thank you so much for posting all these great tutorials!
    Ashley

67. Kelly says:

Love the “30 days…”!
    I get uber-crafty ’round this time so its purrrrr-fect!

68. mandy says:

thank you so much for the cute and easy ideas! i have already put together a few and will definitely add these ornaments to my list! fun, fun, fun and so glad i found you! thanks!

69. Joanna says:

I am having sooo much fun this month! It really was the kick in the pants I needed to get a little bit of crafting in every day, and this is one I can include my eldest in. I wanted to add another site that has some really great ornament ideas- http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/
    She has a great tutorial for an advent calendar, which fits in with today’s theme perfectly!
    http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/sewing_room/index.html- Enjoy!

70. Rose L says:

The breakable ornaments are going to have to stay in their boxes for a while — which would make for a very sad tree this year, except now these are going to be a great way for me to toddler-proof it… last year he could not walk!

Keep the great ideas coming!

71. Leigh says:

very very cute. Thanks so much for putting all of this together for us!

72. Mindy says:

The mittens are sweet!!!

73. laeroport says:

I bought some stars very similar to that bird at a local craft fair last year. I hated to let them go as gifts. :)
    Thanks for the inspiration!

74. Deb says:

I think I could do the scrap fabric ornament, and the mittens are so very cute!

75. Kim says:

Wow! I love all of the ideas you have published so far. I’m in the midst of knitting scarves, but I will definitely have to make time for some of the ideas here. Love the bird ornament!!

76. Violet Westergaard says:

Love the mittens!
    The bird reminds me of beautiful Swedish folk crafts.
    -violet

77. andrea says:

love them! will make some for gift toppers and a bunch for our tree :) thanks!

78. Celeste says:

The bird is just darling! I would love to have a bird-laden themed tree–delightful!

79. Keri says:

ooh, CUTE ornaments! This is my favorite tutorial yet!

80. Vero says:

I like all those small ornaments, but the bird has my preference, and I might well do some.
    thanks for showing it.

81. Monique says:

OH MY OH MY
    Can we add some days to november? I feel so behind already!
    I have plans on making my gifts this year (I hopw my family enjoys)

Very cool links and projects (I have already saved them and started designating for who………..)
    Keep it going!!!!
    Love your blog
    M

82. steph says:

Very nice – I like the embroidered one especially – it has this antique eastern european thing about it. Makes me want to brush up on my embroidery. :)

83. Julie says:

I love these. I think at least the last two could be done (slightly adapted) by my 4yo dd as gifts for her teachers!! I’ve been struggling to come up with ideas–Thank you!!

84. Lisa NYC says:

WOW!!! Love them all–especially Sunshine’s Felt Ornaments…check out her Embroidered Felt Heart, too…beautiful! And I love Liesl’s blog…what a talent she is!

I put together a bunch of other ornament tutorials on my blog for additional inspiration. I have the whole weekend free—so I’ll be hanging out with my sewing machine!

Thanks for all the inspiration—it’s just the kick I needed to get crafty!

With friendship,
    Lisa

85. Allison says:

Oh that little bird is so sweet and the mittens are cute!

86. Karyn says:

I love the idea of using cookie cutters for ornament shapes. Brilliant!

87. Kristin says:

Very nice selection of ornaments! I love embroidery on wool. The bird is beautiful.

88. Anna says:

Oooh. Love the embroidered bird.

89. Ashley says:

I love the scrap fabric ornament. I have sooo much that I need to get rid of.

90. mj says:

I think I have to check out the scrap fabric ornament…or maybe come up with my own. Wouldn’t it be cool with some beads threaded onto the wire that’s wrapped around?

91. Miftik says:

I absolutely love the embroidered felt ornaments. I am so glad I kept my cookie cutters. Thank you for the links.

92. Jan says:

Darling! Love the birds, and the ball will be perfect for those tiny scraps.

93. Alisa says:

Sweet! Thanks for the links. I love the mitten ornament!

94. Becky says:

Those little mittens are so cute. I think they are just the thing I have been looking for to give a little something to some special people. Just for fun. Thanks. I am having so much fun with all these tutorials this month.

95. Dallas says:

Oh no, that first link for the felt ornament doesn’t work in Firefox – I think the h in http got lost somewhere. Thanks again for posting all of these. I wish I could stretch out the days of November to fit in more sewing.

96. adrienne says:

I like the mittens, too. Very cute for a gift tag. =]

97. Chantel says:

Oh I love the Mittens! Very cute way to use up scraps!

98. alison says:

I’m so excited to start making some of these ornaments this weekend. I’ll be adding at least one ornament to all my Christmas packages!

99. Holly says:

Love the ornaments! I can also see the mitten one working as a gift tag or a seating tag.

100. Debra says:

WOW….I love the handmade ornaments!! I have lots of fabric scraps, I can’t wait to get started on some!

101. I love the embroidered felt ornament made with the cookie cutters. The link didn’t work for me though.

102. Genesis says:

You’re killing me! I absolutely *LOVE* everything you’ve posted so far this month and want to make at least one of each. I’ve stashed them in my mental to-do list, which will hang like a little cloud of guilt until I finally get them done. I realize wanting to do crafty things isn’t supposed to inspire guilt, that’ s probably just the catholic school girl in me talking.

Meanwhile, each day that cloud will just get a little bigger :)
    Keep up the fabulous work!!

103. Arlene says:

Love those mittens. will have to make a bunch.

104. Vickie says:

How sweet! I love the bird ornament best!!!
    Thanks again!