Wellness Bag

on November 30 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 45 Comments

My poor mom was sick most of the year before they realized her office walls were filled with mold. Needless to say, her health has been on my mind a lot so this “Wellness Bag” is for her. (I hope she’s not looking!)

Contents:

• Rice heat therapy bag
  • Buckwheat cold therapy pack
  • Flax cold therapy eye pillow
  • Anti-stress shower gel
  • Nice lotion and nice soap
  • Loofah mitt
  • Callous brush
  • Relaxation candle
  • 73% dark chocolate
About the bag….I really wanted to do a log cabin design, but I wanted a rectangular bag, so I used 2″ horizontal strips and 3″ vertical strips. I like the way it turned out.
I just made up the tote design, but I did make “Lisa-style bag straps.” (You should go check out that tutorial if totes or other bags are on your to-do list.)
I layered Stacy’s stabilizer and fusible fleece, as Amy Butler recommended in the Interfacing Guide. It is awesome! Sturdy but quilt-like. The fleece is between the fabric and the Stacy’s stabilizer, which is woven. I could therefore quilt the front of the bag (I just machine-stitched in the ditch) before I sewed all the pieces together.
The tutorial for making the hot or cold therapy packs is from November 24. (Thanks for all your kind words about that. I can’t wait to see what you make!)
We’d love to know what you’d put in a Wellness Bag. Tell us in the comments.
Don’t foget that there are free gift tags to go with this project. One for each of the pillows, as well as the “Wellness Bag.” You can print them onto card stock from this pdf.

45 Responses to Wellness Bag

1. It’s been almost two weeks since Christmas, but I’m still making these therapy bags for friends. They’ve been very well received, too. I’ve taken the advice of some of the comments here and made a pillow sham back for the bag covers, rather than use the Velcro closure. I offset the opening, though, so the stiff rice bag can slide into its cover more easily. I made a cover for the Booboo bag, too, and it’s pillow sham back opens from short end to short end so the bag can be inserted easily.

I also sewed channels into the rice bag so the contents won’t shift. And I whipped together a drawstring bag in coordinating fabric so keep the therapy set in.

Thanks again for the tutorial! Here is my blog entry about my version:

2. La C. says:

This is really fantastic. I made the Rice Heat Therapy bags for my mom and sister and they are going to love them. So useful, so cute and so easy. I plan on trying the eye pillow next. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. Kymberley says:

Thank you so much for the never ending ideas–wellness packs, slippers, and so much more! I am so glad I found your blog, and keep finding so many ways to execute ideas I have, but don’t have the know-how to make happen without your help. Thanx again!

4. Samantha says:

I love your fabrics and your log cabin design! I think I would throw in some hand cream and foot cream. It’s so dry this time of the year. Those are essentials!

5. cz says:

I just made one using an envelope seam instead of velcro, and I love it! thanks…

6. Mary says:

I hope your mom is feeling better. She surely will be when she opens this up!

Thanks for the wonderful original idea and all the additional great stuff in the comments. I’m getting really excited about starting this for my mom!

7. Nicki says:

That’s fabulous, love the way it’s all mixy matchy. Your lucky mama!

8. Alison says:

That is such a pretty bag, wow.

9. Carolyn says:

I’d add a gift certificate to a local massage therapist…….AAAHHHH

10. Michele says:

The bag is FABULOUS…she is going to love this gift!

11. Liz says:

She is going to love that! You put so much love into it… it’s obvious.

12. kara says:

Ok, I’m answering my own question just in case anyone else is curious. It’s from the R. Kaufman line On a whim by Amy Schimler.

13. Kacy says:

Does anyone know if you can use massage oil instead of essential oil in the rice heat therapy bag?? I already have massage oil and would love to just use that instead of buying an essential oil, but I don’t want to ruin the gift! Any help would be great! E-mail: [email protected] THANKS!!

14. amy m says:

This is so great and what a great gift to lift someone’s spirits. And the interfacing guide is great! I printed it to put into my sewing binder…. your blog is such an inspiration.

15. Sarah Cline- Van Zandt says:

I work with your mama. I know she will love it. She is so proud of you and talks about you all the time.

16. Carol says:

Beautiful! I’m sure it will make her feel better and much loved.

17. breezily says:

Gorgeous!

18. Lauren S. says:

great gift!

19. kara says:

Any one know who the multi colored leaf [on the inner and two vertical exterior] panels are made by?

20. What a great package. Any mom would love to receive it!

21. What a great idea, I love this bag. And I love this blog too, thanks to share so many tutorials and ideas.

22. Shelley says:

That is such a great idea for a gift! and I love your bag.

23. Eva says:

that is a sweet gift :) if someone gave me that, i’d probably cry

24. melissa says:

hope your mom feels better soon!

25. kara says:

I HEART this bag!!! I want this bag!! I am going to make one of these!!!!! Love, love, love it!!!

26. marcia says:

I am so going to make these! One for my husband who is coming home complaining of back and neck pain and also gets headaches. I will add a couple of good westerns or mysteries for him with some hard candies! And my daughter who manages a retail mall store-need I say more during this season? I’ll add some handmade felt slippers to hers. Who knows who else I will think of. Maybe the aides that work with my autisic daughter? Yeah!! What a great idea!
    Thanks so much for all the great ideas and instructions! Marcia

27. Samantha says:

Beautiful gift- and thanks for the bag construction tips……….

28. Kirstie says:

What a great gift!

29. lesley says:

Looks like a bag full of love! I love your fabric choices.

30. Mindy says:

That is so beautiful! I know that she will love it.

31. Joanna says:

That is such a wonderful gift! I especially love the patchwork (and that leaf fabric!!!) I am still trying to get the hang of picking out fabrics for patchwork, but yours are simply beautiful. Warm get well wishes to your mom!

32. Kari says:

You have great fabric choices!

33. LauraJ says:

Very very nice! lucky mom! If I were making a wellness bag I’d put in some fuzzy warm socks (or cute socks depending on the climate where you are at.) Nothing makes me smile more than a new pair of fun socks!

34. Fanny says:

What a lovely gift! I’ve just loved this last month of posts.

35. Natalie says:

My mom is going to love this! Can’t wait to start sewing.

36. Kensie says:

Oh an what I would put it, probably some nice herbal teas!

37. Kensie says:

Absolutely beautiful!!!

38. Hope your mom feels better soon now that they figured out the problem- How crazy! What an awesome idea for her though- not only is it a nice and thoughtful gift but you get to use your craftiness to put a happy spin on a bad situation. I love the tote design and the great things inside as well!

39. micki says:

This is a terrific idea! Perfect for that “i have no idea what to get someone” and for pampering a friend!

40. laurie says:

Definitely needs something for a long soak in the tub, bubble bath or bath oil or somethin g homemade. To up the expense you could include a magazine either about health or to relax in that tub with,either a single magazine or a subscription.

41. Gina says:

I might have to steal this idea for my own mother. I would make mine with “heat” in mind—she is of the perpetually cold nature. Thanks again for the great ideas.

42. alison says:

What a beautiful bag and a great idea! Hope your mom is feeling better.

43. melissa says:

gorgeous! lovely! and so very thoughtful and kind! well wishes to your momma!

44. Hope your Mom is feeling better…she’s sure to with a thoughtful gift like that!

Hmmm…what would I put in my Wellness Bag? Perhaps a gift certificate for a Spa Day at Elizabeth Arden, dinner at The Palm in Manhattan and a huge gift card for Sak’s 5th Ave…that certainly would make me WELL…LOL.

No seriously, I’d be sure to add some Kiehl’s skin products, Perlier Honey Bath Gel, Godiva Chocolates and perhaps a trashy novel.

With friendship,
    Lisa

45. Anna says:

What a great gift. I’m sure your mother will love it!