December 18 ~ Handcrafters’ Holidays Meme

on December 18 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 44 Comments

We need to catch up a bit! There’s still plenty of time to join in… Also, don’t forget to comment anywhere on the blog for your chance to win one of two $25 gift certificates to Sew,Mama,Sew! this Friday!

Handcrafters’ Holidays Meme
Katie from See Katie Sew is making these great bags for most of the men on her holiday gift list. She’s celebrating her family’s first Christmas in their own house and her son is now old enough to be really excited about the season! Katie has a great story in her post about a dress she made for her niece’s American Girl doll and much more. Be sure to browse Katie’s blog and her shop too (and if you still need a great guy gift like Katie’s revisit Kelly’s Box Bag tutorial in our Purses compilation).

Georgiann from Sweet Songs loves to give what she loves to get: “handmade things, books and family pictures!” She writes about numerous, treasured handcrafted items from her childhood and her children, her Christmas wish list, gift list and more. Visit and enjoy!

And a little more meme goodness…

Kara shared this great picture of the “gift baskets of homemade goodies” she makes each year. Last year’s selection included things like marshmallows, hot cocoa mix, cookies and chocolate dipped pretzels. See more on Kara’s sew.hip.baby. blog.

Jo shares her absolute favorite tradition with us on her Yarn Haven blog. She also has a cute, crocheted candy cane ornament pattern to share!

Tara has a wonderful story on her Design on Post blog about how her mother made her the dress of her eight or nine year old dreams as a Christmas surprise. Tara continues the handcrafted tradition and has a huge list of things she’s making to give, including new nightgowns for her daughter and niece. Learn more about her Christmas Eve sandwich supper, see sweet brown paper packages tied up in strings and much more on Tara’s blog.

Our Gift to You
You can print our free gift tags for attaching to all of your lovely handcrafted gifts. They read “Handmade with Love” and “I made it for you.”

Want more handcraft inspiration? Visit the Handmade Holidays photo pool and don’t forget about our Handmade Holidays Tutorials.

We respect the copyright of all crafters.
All links and photos from blogs on our Handcrafters’ Holidays posts are used with permission.

44 Responses to December 18 ~ Handcrafters’ Holidays Meme

1. Lil' d says:

What good ideas

2. Rita says:

yes, they were lamingtons! I don’t know why I thought they had marshmellows in them, maybe the way they melted in my mouth reminded me of marshmellows. I will definitely try this recipe soon.

3. Becca says:

I’ve got to try those crocheted candy canes!

4. Judy says:

So many great ideas..and so(sew) little time left……

5. kara says:

Rita- the dessert you remember may be lamingtons. They are a sponge cake base coated with a frosting/glaze and then rolled in coconut. Check out this site and see for yourself. Hope this helps.

6. Christy says:

The box purse would be great to use a makeup bag

7. Michele says:

The box bag is great…thanks for the link to Kelly’s tutorial!

8. Mika says:

Thanks for posting the picture of Katie’s Dopp kit. Hubby has one already, but this is a great idea for gifts for men. The men in my family are notoriously hard to shop for, and it gets a little boring just buying them a book or a tool from their wish list. Yeah, they wanted it, but I feel so uncreative when doing that….

9. Ellen says:

Keep up the great ideas and sharing…You’ve been so inspiring and have introduced us to a lot of talent! How will you top this in 2008?
    Thanks for helping bring back the true meaning of the holidays and giving!!!

10. Stacy says:

Wonderful ideas, at this time fo the year it seems like people get stressed and forget about how the holidays are supposed to be about the joys of family and giving to others. Creating gifts is a wonderful way to show how much you care. Thanks!

11. Louisa says:

Thanks again for all the great inspiration!

12. alison says:

Thanks for sharing the Christmas traditions. I have some new ideas for traditions I want to start with my family now.

13. dede says:

my nephew is deployed in Iraq. I am excited about sharing Tara’s blog with his wife. Thanks for the link.

14. Nichole D. says:

Awesome stuff!

15. Rita says:

I made the box bag (from the tutorial) as well for most of my man gifts. I repurposed sports coats from a thrift store and some of my husband’s collared shirts for the lining. I have played with the idea of binding the inside seams with material from discarded ties–to make a nice suit box bag. I will try to post pictures on the photo pool.

About the marshmellows, as a kid I remember eating a dessert made by a dear woman from Australia. I can’t remember what they were called but they had marshellows and were covered in coconut. Does anyone out there know what they are and maybe have the recipe?
    Thanks!

16. Katie’s bags are awesome! Wish I would have thought of that for my DH!

there’s always next year, right? LOL

with friendship,
    Lisa

17. Steph says:

So many wonderful ideas and links to more amazing blogs…. I plan to sit down for an entire day after the big day…. with a nice cup of cocoa or ten, and just read, read, read. And begin a list for next year, bookmarking and printing, to put in a notebook so I have everything in one place for next Christmas.

18. Libby says:

I do seem to keep coming across homemade marshmallows. Maybe I should make some?

19. Holly says:

Thanks for great ideas!!! Your blog is so inspiring!

Holly

20. kara says:

Wow! I can’t believe that’s my picture on there!! Thanks!!!
    If you’re interested I posted a link to the marshmallow recipe.

21. Carol says:

I love those bags for the men in her life!

22. Jodie says:

WOW! Have been wanting to make marshmallows!!

23. Crystal says:

Thanks so much for your printable gift tags. I have used them several times this week! :)

24. Tara says:

To Amy, who asked if I still have the dress, no, I don’t. Handmade dresses from my mother were so common when I was young that it wasn’t all that special to me, at the time. I could kick myself now because it was an absolutely beautiful creation that my mother put her heart and soul into. Ah, the folly of youth.

25. Hjordi says:

I have really enjoyed your Holiday posts! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

26. katie says:

Thanks for featuring me! I’m so happy to be included!

I’ve had several people e-mail me about the bag. I just wanted to mention that I’m using an adaptation of the Amy Butler InStitches patchwork bag, so it’s sewn a little differently. I really love that pattern, and if you have the book, it’s very easy to adjust the size! I think this finished bag is about 10″ w x 5.5″ h .

Kelly’s tutorial is great too!

27. Heather B says:

Thank you for keeping the good ideas coming. As we near Christmas day, I remember more people who need a little something, and your ideas have been extremely helpful.

28. heather w. says:

Love the gift basket idea! I just bought supplies to make chocolate dipped pretzels! YUM

29. Amber says:

I just love all the links to blogs you guys have put up this month….thanks so much!

30. Kathleen says:

This has been such a wonderful idea! I’ve had so much fun making gifts for people, and there are so many great ideas and inspiring projects that I’m already thinking about next year! What creative and generous people. Many thanks everyone!

31. Javede says:

I’ve now added so many new fun and crafty blogs to my feedreader, thanks!

32. Tammy says:

I recently made a box bag from the link you gave during November. It went well! :)

33. nikkapotamus says:

Thank you for including Kara’s site. I’ve been trying to come up with a few extra goodies in my home made bags.

When I look at my home made goodies, I always think, well that seems so small. I wonder what else I can get to add to it.

I’m so inspired by this site. Thank you for giving me the inspiration to keep making the handmade holidays this year.

34. renee says:

Thanks for making this holiday season so easy to get done handmade. You guys are the best.

35. Alisha says:

I would like to try making marshmallows, but I haven’t gotten around to it. Kara’s look great.

36. mama k says:

Great idea for men! It is always so hard to find gifts for them.

37. Susan says:

I’ve already decided next year I will be sewing for men, I will bookmark this for sure.

38. amy m says:

yum! I love the goodie gifts… I’ve just been too busy this year to actually get all my baking done. In January, I am starting Christmas gifts for next year so I have them done WAY early!

39. andrea says:

Made a zillion smaller versions of this bag before and it is a great gift!

40. Teddi says:

Cool “Man Bags” and I love the sandwich dinner story! Thanks for keeping us sharing our traditions!

41. Michelle says:

Love the fabric of that bag!

42. Amy says:

Tara’s story is very sweet! Do you stil have that dress???

43. Amy says:

Nice idea on the bag. I find it is always really hard to sew for men!

44. Georgia says:

I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s lovely blogs this month! Also thanks to Sew, Mama, Sew for the nice gift tags. I’ve already used several and they look so nice!