December 7 ~ Wallets, water bottles, crayon rolls & coasters

on December 7 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 129 Comments

Later today we’ll randomly select two winners from all of this week’s blog comments. Don’t forget to comment anywhere on the blog for your chance to win one of two $25 gift certificates to Sew,Mama,Sew! and be sure to check out the holiday shipping schedule and newsletter information. Look for a little meme madness tomorrow!

Quilted Wallet
By Hashi, Hashiworks

Hashi made so many things with our Handmade Holidays tutorials. She used Katie’s design for this wallet from our For Your Purse or Pocket tutorials and added the picture to our Handmade Holidays photo pool. Be sure to check out Hashi’s great idea for handcrafted holiday giving in the comments on the meme post. She writes that she launched her, “2007 Christmas Boutique, a virtual ‘store’ where my family members (all 19 of them) could select their own Christmas gifts from the goods I had been making all year…”

Criss-Cross Coasters
By Jenny, allsorts

Jenny has a quick, easy and illustrated Criss-Cross Coaster Tutorial and mentions they make great stocking stuffers, hostess gifts or teacher gifts. While you’re visiting allsorts be sure to check out Jenny’s fun Gingerbread House game too! For more coaster tutorials visit our For the Table compilation.

Crayon Roll
By Tara, The Lazy Russian Horses Show

Tara made this cute crayon roll with Cindy’s tutorial in our Reading & Writing compilation. Don’t you want to make one too?

Water Bottle Carrier
By Kathy, Pink Chalk Studio

We love Kathy’s Water Bottle Carrier Tutorial! Wouldn’t this be a great gift tucked away in a tote? You could also adjust dimensions to fit reusable containers like the cute SIGG bottles.

Want to join us? Check out the Sew, Mama, Sew! Handcrafters’ Holidays blog meme!

Our Gift to You
You can print our free gift tags for attaching to all of your lovely handcrafted gifts. They read “Handmade with Love” and “I made it for you.”

Want more handcraft inspiration? Visit the Handmade Holidays photo pool and don’t forget about our Handmade Holidays Tutorials.

We respect the copyright of all crafters.
All links and photos from blogs on our Handcrafters’ Holidays posts are used with permission.

129 Responses to December 7 ~ Wallets, water bottles, crayon rolls & coasters

1. Carol C. says:

Really can’t wait to get my Insul Bright now!! The water bottle holders are sweeet! :)

2. shari says:

hi there, i’m hoping to win the drawing, lol.
    i love that waterbottle cover. you make really cool things. :)

3. Jennifer says:

Very inspiring! I’m going to start on some late(ish) xmas presents right away!

4. Jackie says:

I LOVE your water bottle carrier! What a fun, refreshing idea! I always have my hands full when we are out either with a purse, diaper bag or little hands. This is a great idea for moms with little ones on the go!

5. Samantha says:

Definitely go try Jenny’s gingerbread house game. I spent forever decorating mine. My kids were begging for a turn, but I was trying to use ALL the candy! LOL

6. ambre sautter says:

the water bottle carrier will be great for summer! thanks for the idea!

7. Steph says:

This is an awesome tutorial/project. I can’t wait to get started. I’m hoping to make a bunch up for the kids for Christmas. Thanks again for all the great ideas.
    Steph in CT

8. I really love the owls on the crayon roll. It would also be a great project for Christmas.
    I am going to make the water bottle cover first though because all my family drinks water and we are constantly getting them mixed up. Previously we have written our names on them but the covers would be perfect!
    Thanks sew much.
    Wanda (fatbaby)

9. kylie says:

Love the water bottle bag, i think it will be great for my daughter next year at kindy, might have to make two to keep one in the nappy bag too!

Lots of great tutorials on here thanks!

10. Katie Hoefle says:

The crayon roll is such a great idea! That’s perfect for in the car or in a restaurant. Crayons always roll of the table!

11. Ekioart says:

That water bottle carrier is so cute! Would be rather helpful too….^-^ looks like I’m off to the store again!

12. maggie says:

such cute ideas…i really like the water bottle holder and the crayon caddie could be used for so many things…pens, crochet hooks, etc. love the site

13. Autumn says:

So many cool ideas -so little time! I am going to do the coasters today!
    Thanks for a fantastic site!

14. That water carrier is brilliant!! I LOVE it!!! Adding to my list of what to make this Christmas. :D

The crayon roll is cute, too…just have no need to make one anymore…I made that rainbow pencil roll that is floating around blogland right now, and it is SO CUTE!!!!!

15. Robin Wilkinson says:

Thanks for all you do.
    –A devoted reader/buyer

16. Diana says:

i am so making those wallets for gifts!!!!

17. Katy says:

Wow, thanks for this one! I have been trying to think of a send off gift for my parents who are going on their first mission trip after Christmas. This water bottle carrier will be perfect. Your ideas are great. I am no good at making clothes, but crafts I really like. Thanks for all the great inspiration.
    Katy

18. Pat says:

I have enjoyed looking at the of the Christmas gift giving ideas that you have shared with us . I have tucked many of them away for next year. Thanks so much.

19. etk says:

LOVE all the tutorials. I am still working on the chenille-backed blanket, but so far it is adorable!

20. Kate says:

wow, those criss-cross coasters are really neat!

21. Natalie Edwards says:

That crayon roll is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Wow!!!!! I love it so much.

22. Teddi says:

Have made 4 crayon rolls thus far for the holidays. The water bottle carrier is a must make! Thanks for keeping it coming!

23. dinah says:

oh, i love that crayon roll . great for the kids! this is such a wonderful blog! thanks for all the inspiration!

24. trose says:

the water bottle carrier is quite fun!

25. Christy says:

I’m definately using the water bottle carrier!

26. Libby says:

Too many things to choose from. I love the wallet and the crayon roll.

27. Steph says:

ok… the water bottle holder and crayon roll are both going ont he list for my youngest daughter..she coverts both her water bottles and her crayons and will be thrilled with these! Im so glad I have a huge fabric stash!

28. Addie says:

love those tags! thanks!

29. laura says:

your gift ideas that just came through my email look great…i’m showing them to my husband tonight!

:) thanks laura

30. Tracy loukota says:

Oh, just what I needed – another project! My daughter has GOT to have a water bottle carrier!!
    thanks so much ~ Tracy

31. Jodie S says:

I love the crayon roll!!

32. Love everything! Hoping to get some sewing done this weekend!

With friendship,
    Lisa

33. Trina says:

the water bottle carrier is the nicest I’ve seen. refreshing! :)

34. Carol says:

Hashi is a thrift store godess! I had fun perusing her blog.

35. Karen W says:

I keep running into ONE more thing I HAVE to make!!! Love that water bottle holder.

36. Kerri says:

Hey, my boss made the crisscross coasters and they’re currently selling the fabric from which she made them. They’re so cute and superfunctional! There aren’t enough hours in the day to do all these fun projects. Thanks, girls!

37. They are all cute but the water bottle holder is just the ticket. Thanks again. I love coming here everyday.

38. erika says:

Ooh, I love the crayon roll! So cute!

39. Serena says:

The crayon roll and water bottle carrier are adorable! The owls are way too cute!

40. Hjordi says:

I love all the craft ideas you have shared with us. Thank you!

41. Amber says:

Kathy has the best tutorials and patterns – love the water bottle carrier!

42. Kris Tuttle says:

I made some of those criss cross coasters the other day after seeing them in the fabric store. I have several Nebraska Cornhusker fans that I need gifts for so I used some husker fabrics. They look cute! I also made a couple out of the Christmas fabric I won here! Thank you!

I’m loving the wallet, think I’ll have to find time to make one for myself! Thanks for having such wonderful ideas!
    Kris

43. Shanna says:

Love the wallet. I am going to have to make one of those.

44. Jane B says:

You guys do not disappoint! So many great ideas, I am happily stitching away and making gifts. Thanks!

45. Valerie says:

My head is spinning from all the awesome ideas and tutorials you guys have posted. This blog ROCKS!

46. Bailey says:

I made two crayon rolls too! And a knitting needle case, which was verry similar in concept. Still working on a tote bag. And thank you for the gift tags too. You guys have been pretty busy these days… thank you

47. Michele says:

The wallet is great…I just need to be brave enough to try and make it! I’m still a sewing newbie.

48. Kim Langston says:

Love your tutorials…. have been bookmarking so I can one day work on some of these projects.

49. brandee says:

great ideas! i’m accumulating more ideas then i have time for!!! thanks buches for all the tutorials shown so far!!!

50. Dore says:

Now I a am also getting pretty busy… the water bottle carrier is really cute, too; oh, so many more things to do before the 24th!

51. Jenn says:

I can’t wait to get started on the water bottle carrier for my daughters new christmas sigg. Thank you for the wonderful ideas.

52. Katie Hoefle says:

I’m making those coasters for Christmas! They are so cute and so easy.

53. Judy says:

I have no idea what I’d do with a crayon roll, but it’s so cute… I want to make one!

54. Janet says:

I’m printing the gift tags right now!! Of course the water bottle carrier is great. As always thanks for the great ideas.

55. What a lovely post! Love everything in it ….. my favourite would have to be the water bottle carrier, so much more elegant and chic than carrying a plain bottle around. Thanks for all the inspiration.

56. Chandra says:

The crayon roll is such a great idea for toddlers–I made one for a friend’s son, and it turned out great!

57. judy d. says:

the criss-cross coasters are adorable – and even i might actually be able to pull them off. thanks for all the great ideas!

58. Leah says:

Those owls are so cute. And that water bottle holder is going to be made to go with all the totes I already made.

59. Julia D says:

Made a rice therapy bag! Will be making 3 sets…Must buy ink fo the beautiful tags!! Thank you!

60. sarah says:

LOVING THE BOTTLE HOLDE, IM GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY !!
    sARAH X

61. Kat says:

The owl fabric is soo cute!

62. Lara says:

I have way more things to make than time available! I’ve managed to sew or crochet most gifts this year, but would love to make that water bottle carrier as well! The criss-cross coasters are fantastic – I’ve made them before. Thanks so much for continuing with the tutorial links!

63. meg says:

Oh beautiful! This reminds that I’d intended to make my niece a water bottle carrier. I might even still have time to squeeze it in, so thank you!

As for the criss-cross coasters, I love making them and now I think I’ve gotten my mom hooked, too. They make such great use of leftover strips!

64. Stephanie J says:

sweet bottle bag!

65. Kerry says:

I LOVE the Virtual Store idea! Great thinking, and how much fun for the family! Thanks for all the great ideas and examples of people’s work!

66. Natalie says:

what a darling water bottle holder!

67. Ahh! It never stops! No more projects! Too many and no time! THe water bottle carrier is a great design!

68. V Reed says:

Oh wow! What awesome projects! I think I now have more projects on my list than time to do them!

V

69. Mia says:

I love the wallet! I will try my best to make one. It’s looks hard to me but I will so my best.

70. Lauren S. says:

the crayon roll is such a great idea.

71. Karie says:

Those crayon rolls are just way too cool!! I am totally going to make one for all the kids I know! I also love the gift tags thanks so much for posting them for us!!

72. Vickie says:

I really love that water bottle carrier! I see another meme!!!
    Thanks!

73. Michelle says:

Definitely want to make a crayon roll now! Thanks!!

74. sharon says:

these are all so great … when oh when will I make one? I plan a wallet (nervously) and a water bottle carrier for sure

75. Julia M. says:

I love the water bottle tutorial. I don’t know why, but I missed that before. Thanks!

76. Johanna I. says:

This is my favorite this week. So many good ideas for the people on my guest list. Thanks for the inspiration!

77. Marie says:

I’m loving the daily project tutorials! What a great idea. Thanks so much for inspiring us!

78. Lil' d says:

I’m hoping that I have time to make my nieces a crayon roll. I’ve barely started on making my kid’s gifts, though. Trying to suppress the panic.

79. Water Bottle Carrier = GREAT IDEA!!

80. Cocoa says:

Wow! I can’t believe how much everyone has been sewing up a storm! Makes me feel like I’m being lazy. . .

81. heather w. says:

i was just thinking about making crayon rolls for my boys as stocking stuffers! thanks so much for the great link!!! =)

82. Mika says:

I LOVE the water bottle cozy! I may have to try and whip one up. And crayon rolls are always fun!

83. hippydippy says:

Oh I so love that water bottle! it is fabulous!

I plan on making the crayon roll/tote bag for my daughter :D

84. Eva says:

awww. the owl crayon holder is so cute! i’m totally making the water bottle holder!

85. Celeste says:

Cute crayon roll!!

86. Michelle says:

Wow, those are the cutest owls on that crayon roll…

87. Heather says:

I have been having so much fun with your tutorials. I found this one http://www.ohelene.net/blog/?p=168 a couple of nights ago following the slipper trail. It is a little bonnet. It turned out great along with the slippers. I made one for my 3 year old and she even wore it to bed. That is what is so fun about sewing for kids. They think you can do anything! hjm

88. Chas says:

Oh I love it!!!
    These are all so great… you will probably never know how much these tutorials have helped me with my Christmas crafting! :)
    Chas

89. Eileen Tongson says:

Your blog is so inspiring. Thank you for all of the ideas!

90. Ally says:

That waterbottle carrier looks like something my mom would LOVE … I have been searching for something to make her for the holidays (since I am trying to do everything homecrafted this year)… I don’t remember seeing that in the November stuff, perhaps I missed it though?

91. kjerstiye says:

i’m totally going to mod that waterbottle holder to hold my yoga mat!

Thanks for the guideline!

92. andrea says:

Wonderful craftmanship, ideas and fabrics. I am always so inspired by your blog! Thanks so very much.

93. I love the water bottle carrier. WIth carrying around a diaper bag full of stuff and bottles there is no room for my water. That is too cool!

94. Amy says:

ooh! Those coasters are great! I’ve really enjoyed all the tutorials and inspiration – thank you!

95. Dott says:

Wow, the crayon roll up is lovely :o). I might need to upgrade my machine a little so I have one that does straight lines…

96. Kristin says:

This is not good! My to-do list is growing much faster than my all-done list!

97. Danetta says:

I have been having so much fun reading your blogs and getting tips and tricks and just seeing what other people do. Thank you for taking the time to do this!

98. Julie says:

I have finished one crayon roll and have 7 more to go. Do you think I will get them finished by the 21st of December? :) I sure hope so. Thanks for all the great tutorial links. So many cool ideas.

99. I love the quilted wallet. I’m totally making that more my mom for Christmas. What wonderful ideas and suggestions you have here. It’s awesome!

100. Elaine says:

Once again THANKYOU for sharing these fabulous ideas from such talented and creative
    folks!
    The crayon roll ups, the water bottle holder, they are the best! The other projects score a high approval rating with me and definetly with the ones getting these wonderful goodies!
    God bless ,
    Elaine

101. Tara says:

I’m so glad you all like the crayon roll. The tutorial was really easy to follow! I’m going to make some of those coasters this weekend.

102. Some more lovely tutorials! I like Hashi’s idea for a virtual store where her family members can pick out their presents:) Cute idea!

103. jennie says:

That owl fabric is fantastic!

104. Pamela says:

Hurray for the Criss-Cross Coasters tutorial! My mother gave me two criss-cross coasters when she last visited. But she forgot to tell me how to make them or even what they were called. :( I’ve been driving myself nutty trying to figure them out. Thank you! Thank you! Mystey solved.

105. amy w says:

i love all those projects and they are all on my to do list.. however that list has to wait until after the holidays.
    the water bottle carrier is a great idea !
    and i love the wallet because you can make many of them to match all your purses! yay!

106. Trina says:

Oh my goodness!! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for the Holiday Boutique idea. Every year I am just certain that everyone is saying “Oh no, not another handmade gift from Trina!” I am definately doing this next year. Thank you again.

107. Andi says:

The crayon roll is so cute!

108. sally says:

The crayon roll is awesome!

109. Bessaroni says:

I think some coasters are going to be made today.

110. Love the crayon roll! I just found your blog yesterday, now I am using all my free (baby nap) time to read old posts. Thank you! I could see that crayon roll being the answers to my daughters inability to fit all the crayons back into the box correctly.

111. Doreen says:

Going to make som coasters today! Thank you for the gift tags!!

112. Amy Hodge says:

Cute water bottle carrier!

113. Charli says:

I always feel so “on the up and up” and with it if I have actually seen the sewing projects you post before! I love Jenny and her projects. I’ve actually made a modified version of the crayon roll as well. I’ve been pondering the coasters for months now… unfortunately, I think my machine is broken! Horrible timing.

114. Heather says:

I LOVE the Water Bottle Carrier! This is a perfect gift for all my playground mommy friends! And I just got a big box of vintage trim from my Nana that I can use for the handles!!
    Thanks for this tutorial…just in time!

115. Avlor says:

How cool. I’d been wondering what I’d do for my friend who has “Everything”. She always carries a waterbottle with her, and doesn’t have one of those cute carriers! ;)

116. Ahava Jora says:

So many great gift (and more) ideas! That crayon roll is adorable.

117. upstateLisa says:

I would like to be entered into your drawing. Busy making gifts!!! Love your blog!

118. alison says:

You keep finding more and more great ideas and tutorials! Thanks so much. I’ve started my list for birthdays and next Christmas. Maybe I’ll start my handmade Christmas gifts for next year early!

119. Rita says:

I love all of the ideas, but I’m having trouble finding ideas for men’s gifts. Does anyone know of a good men’s wallet tutorial?

120. CN says:

Love your blog! check it out every day. Maybe next year there could be sixty days in November!?!?1 How about a pattern for a triangle / zipper / pouch?

121. Jill says:

Oh my gosh! These are adorable. I am loving all of these wonderful ideas! And I finally found the perfect gift for my mother. Hallelujah!

122. Amy Gillian says:

Love the crayon roll fabric! That project is next on my list!

123. Darcy Shepard says:

OK, I LOVE that crayon roll – I’m making one for myself this weekend and maybe one a little larger to hold crochet hooks! Thanks for the inspiration!

124. Sara says:

I love the water bottle carrier. My little sister could use one of those. Maybe I’ll make on for her someday! :o)

125. Megan says:

I love the crayon roll – especially with that fabric! And thanks for the gift tags. I’ll be putting those to good use just as soon as I manage to start getting things wrapped…

126. kathy says:

Thanks for the gift tags! They printed out so nice. This year, thanks to you all, I have lots of things to affix them to! :)

127. Debbie Swoboda says:

I made the criss cross coasters last year (lots and lots of them) and gave them as Christmas gifts. Very cute.

128. melissa says:

oh i want the owls!!!! the crayon rolls are on the list…see what i can get done today!
    phew!