We’ve had lots of binding and quilting questions pop up on the blog throughout Quilting Month. Both seem to be skills that just take practice, and it helps to jump right in. Several people have asked why we’ve featured many doll- and baby-size quilts in our Quilt of the Day posts too. One of the reasons (in addition to their beauty and unique characteristics) is the accessibility of a doll-size quilt; it’s much easier to try your hand at a first binding or to trust your home machine (and yourself) with some free-motion quilting fun when the project isn’t too big and the stakes aren’t too high. Remember what Denyse Schmidt said in her interview earlier this month: “Trust that it’s going to look great!”
Here are just a few good links to answer questions we’ve had this month:
Binding your quilt
- What are the different ways to bind a quilt?
- What’s the difference between straight grain binding, cross grain binding and bias binding? (With a how to.)
- A continuous binding how-to with a mitered corner.
- Another binding tutorial with mitered corners.
- Binding tips (also includes a printer-friendly version) with a double-fold binding discussion.
- All about bias tape makers.
- How much binding will I need for my quilt? (yardage calculator)
- How do I do a turned binding/pillowcase binding?
- Example of turned binding (also referred to as a “pillowcase binding”).
- How do I do the “self-binding” approach?
- Example of a self-binding quilt.
Quilting your project
- Be sure you read Gina Halladay’s tips on machine quilting in her article for Quilting Month.
- Machine quilting basics.
- How can I perfect my hand quilting stitch?
- Nice resource for links to both machine- and hand-quilting tips. (Scroll down past the books.)
- What do different types of quilting look like?: hand quilting (front view), hand quilting (back view, same quilt as previous front view), professional long arm quilting, machine quilting at home with the feed dogs down, machine quilting at home, tied quilt.
Do you have other good resources, tips and/or links to share about binding and quilting?