SMS Block-Along Week 1: Three 9-Patch Variations

on February 1 | in Quilt Block Sew-Along, Sew-Alongs | by | with 151 Comments

Welcome to Week 1 of the Sew,Mama,Sew! Block-Along. We’re starting with the 9-patch block because it is one of the simplest and most versatile of all quilt blocks. This week we’ll look at the basic 9-Patch, plus 2 modern variations. Next week you can try your hand at one of three more traditional ways to play with 9 patches (Irish Chain, Ohio Star and Shoo Fly). If you’re sewing along with us, you can choose to make one or all of these blocks. For more information about our sew-along, see this post.

9-Patch

The basic 9-patch is a block composed of 9 squares. Finished blocks are most commonly 10 or 12 inches, but can be any size you want. When cutting your squares, don’t forget to factor in seam allowance. Typically you’ll sew a 1/4″ seam allowance on all sides. Visit this guide to learn more about calculating the size of your squares and estimating the yardage you’ll need for a complete quilt.
Although the individual squares can be sewn together to form a block, you might want to try the strip piecing method to speed along the process of creating multiple blocks.
A 9-Patch quilt can be a great stash-buster and a wonderful way to recycle old clothing or linens. A large variety of fabric textures, patterns and colors gives a quilt like this a warm, vintage feel. It looks great either quilted or hand-tied with yarn. Historically, 9-Patch was a starter quilt for young girls learning to sew.
Kirsten alternated 9-patches with solid blocks to create this wonderful patchwork (in 2 days, no less!) You can read more about Kirsten’s quilt on her blog, kirsten*can, and see more of her crafty work in her photo set.

Crazy 9-Patch

I think Denyse Schmidt really popularized the not-quite-straight, just-a-little-wonky, but not-quite-random style of quilting (you know what I’m talkin’ about, right?). If you’re a fan of that hip look, the Crazy 9-Patch is a great alternative to the geometric precision of the 9-Patch.
I have no idea who originated the Crazy 9-Patch, but luckily Jenny of All Sorts learned how to cut and sew the blocks in a class and put it all together in a wonderful tutorial. (Note that the tutorial shows you how to do 9 blocks at once.)
Wendy used Jenny’s tutorial to create this splendid Crazy 9-Patch doll quilt. We love the way she turned the colorful blocks on point and set them off against a beautifully-quilted stark white background. You can see more of Wendy’s lovely little blankets in her doll quilt photo set and find more of her quilting on her Wee Toes and Noggins blog.

Disappearing 9-Patch

If you’ve been making the crafty rounds on the web, you’ve probably seen Disappearing 9-Patch quilts popping up on blogs, Flickr and Etsy. And no wonder–they’re beautiful in a scappy, yet modern way.
Disappearing 9-Patch blocks look impossibly difficult with all those big squares, little squares and rectangles, but really it’s just magic! Helen of Quilts & ATCs boiled it all down to just a few simple steps in this tutorial. (Thanks, Helen!)
Jennifer made this pretty Disappearing 9-Patch doll quilt with Heather Bailey’s Freshcut line of fabrics. You can see more of Jennifer’s handiwork in her sewing photo set, and read about her work on her blog, Mama Urchin. (You might also want to get ready to observe the Virtual Quilting Bee that Jennifer organized. We can’t wait to see the quilt blocks those 12 talented women come up with!)
Calamity Kim’s blog and photo set are always a unique visual delight, and this little doll quilt is no exception. Kim’s embroidered Alice centerpiece is surrounded by Disappearing 9-Patches. Tea, anyone?

If you’re sewing along with us, you can share a photo of your completed block(s) with our Quilting Month Photo Pool. We’ll be featuring some of the blocks on our blog on Monday, February 11. If you are posting a photo, please include any relevant information (fabric, patterns, technique) in the photo description. If you’ve blogged about it, please include a link. Have fun!

151 Responses to SMS Block-Along Week 1: Three 9-Patch Variations

1. Heather Myers says:

As a newbie to quilting. I must say this site has help me bunches. Love the quilts on here. I just wanted to thank you for having it on here so maybe I can learn.
    Thanks Again

2. mikawendy says:

I just saw a really neat disappearing 9-patch block in Kaffe Fassett’s Passionate Patchwork book, in his “Shirt-Stripe Boxes” quilt (pp. 62 and 63). I think a picture appears in Google book search (http://books.google.com/books?id=0ykaO1LMiQwC&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=%22kaffe+fassett%22+%22shirt+stripe+boxes%22&source=web&ots=3rb6GyjN3n&sig=xC7pg4Z-cIYkfgSaadcGYuZYKJM#PPA63,M1)

The quilt is made up of various block patterns/sizes–some large squares, some disappearing 9-patch blocks, some strips of smaller squares, and so forth.

3. I have completed a disappearing nine-patch also. Se it at http://jmckcrafts.blogspot.com/2008/02/disappearing-9-patch-complete.html

4. I had always wanted to try the Disappearing 9-patch block and seeing it featured here on Feb 1 got me motivated. I selected a bunch of 5″ charms and got sewing ….. I’ve completed a quilt top using the blocks – I’ve added photos to the Flickr Group and blogged about it here -

5. Deborah Fair says:

It was fun to return to the simplicity of nine patch. Really enjoyed the disappearing nine patch.
    You can see my results on the flickr site as well as my blog: htt://justenoughtime.wordpress.com.
    Descriptions are on Feb 7 and Feb 8 posts.

6. Alissa says:

Just finished all three! Fun!! can’t wait to take on the next batch….

7. Angela says:

Love those disappearing 9 patch blocks. I used Helen’s tutorial over the summer to make myself a Christmas lap throw top. It’s also a great way to use charm square packs :0) Now…if I could just get around to actually quilting that top…

8. Stockton says:

The timing for this (quilting month) is so perfect … I have been collecting fabric to make a quilt for a nephew whose arrival is imminent… I’ve never made a quilt before but I can’t wait to get started!

9. shelli says:

I am now in love with the disappearing nine patch! It’s great, and I’ll have to make one.

10. Janey says:

Wow. I just love those. I will be making one of those soon.

11. alison says:

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for pulling together all these terrific resources and giving us the opportunity to see everyone’s work. I can’t wait to sew-along with you all! :)

12. Liz says:

I wonder if it would be possible to have a separate Flickr group for pictures of the blocks completed from the Block of the Week you post? I think all the quilts being posted are beautiful, but I’m especially curious to see variations on the same blocks I am making (because I am following your Block a Week posts!) It is like two different thought processes to wade through the lovely quilts to find the blocks. Just a thought.

13. Emma says:

I love the crazy 9-patch.
    Another great block I saw recently was an exaggerated 9-patch, where the centre square is larger than the corner squares. It was very effective.

14. Heather says:

Once I finish my strip quilt, I will do a quick 9-patch for the new babe on the way. Or perhaps for his/her siblings…

15. Anna says:

A ha – so THAT’S what it is! A disappearing nine patch! Thanks so much – I’ve seen this design in a few great incarnations but haven’t been able to work out the blocks. I’m off to the tutorial – thanks so much for the link!

16. Lisa K says:

I love the disappearing nine-patch. I have made quite a few potholders out of them. I just picked up fabric for my first full size quilt just out of them. Thanks for the reminder.

17. Maggie says:

So I have made one nine patch doll quilt from a tutorial posted here during November. I am now trying some of the blocks you posted here and have had a fun time making them. They’re not perfect, but practice practice practice! I posted up my two blocks I’ve made so far to the pool (under name of tembilina). Thanks!

18. Judy says:

Love the nine patch… and now I have reason to love it more….the Disappearing Nine Patch…I will make one tonight and post to my blog…

19. Up until recently, I wasn’t much of a sewer. Then I started seeing all the great blogs on sewing and quilting via Craftzine’s blog. The one thing that stopped me from sewing was I always had a tough time reading pattern instructions. But with the help of the great crafters posting tutorials and help in the blogspace, I actually started sewing and understanding how to construct bags, quilts and other great crafty art items.

Thank you all for the time you take to publish such wonderful tutorials. It has made all the difference in the world to me; taking me from a person who loathed sewing, to one that is making hand made items on a weekly basis.

Oh, and I can’t say enough about strip piecing. I always thought that quilts were put together by cutting out all the individual pieces and then sewing them all up. Although, I know that some quilts are made this way, and my hat’s off to those guys and gals who do quilts this way, strip piecing has made quilting faster for me. Which in turn makes it a viable option for the limited time I have on the weekend to dedicate to sewing/craft projects.

After I finish my current quilt, Cheese and Crackers by (http://www.atkinsondesigns.com/patterns/patternDetail.asp?productID=135), I am going to try the crazy 9 patch. I have a few ideas for my own squares too. I will share both on the flickr pool.

Thanks everyone!

20. AINHOA says:

Lovely!

21. Stacy T says:

Gorgeous! :D

22. Emily says:

Oh no – something else I’m going to have to do! I have a plate full, thank you very much… now I’m going to put nine-patches on my list! Em

23. britt says:

I added a square. I am a brand new sewer so this is going to be a learning experience for me :-)

24. Kelli says:

I just finished a quilt using the crazy nine patch method. It was really fun to put together :)
    I used blocks from a Pirate block swap. Someone commented that it had the “drunken sailor” look (in a good way, of course ;) )
    Can I add a photo bucket link?

25. Lynn says:

That’s beautiful! I’ve been meaning to try a disappearing 9 patch for a while!

26. andreaelizabethjohnson says:

I love the disappearing nine-patch – “sew” easy and “sew” eye-catching! Happy stitchin’ to everyone!

27. Allison says:

Thanks for the tutorials! Beautiful quilts. I’ve made many 9 patch quilts and love them, they are one of my favorites. I want to try a wonky one now.

28. Louisa says:

What fun! I think I am inspired to do some sewing this evening! Thanks for the fun ideas!

29. Mary says:

WONDERFUL! I love the 9 patch in all it’s variations- it’s fun, easy and so versatile Mary

30. Alisha says:

I love Wendy’s Crazy 9-Patch doll quilt. I love how she used the white space to set off the color. I might try Jenny’s tutorial for my first quilt.

31. Becca says:

Love the crazy 9 patch!

32. Shelly says:

oh my…I can tell this is going to be a fun month and my wish list of “to do” quilts will be long!

33. Liz says:

I am in LOOOOVE with the crazy nine patch! I am a beginning quilter and can’t wait to make myself a quilt. I did a set of 9 crazy nine patches that I think will be the center of a quilt, then I’ll surround them with the one-offs of the different blocks you post. What a great stash buster this is going to be!

34. Samantha says:

Nine-patch is my favorite- both my kids’ baby quilts are nine-patch on point. And Kat- binding a quilt is NOT hard- really! Hello My Name is Heather has a binding tutorial.

35. tammie says:

I can’t believe how easy those tutorials make this look. I can’t wait to try them all!

36. Yay! I finished my block and I really like it. I made the disappearing nine patch. You can see it here if you would like:

I think I’m going to make one of each block and make a tiny quilt with them.

37. Mealy says:

I am soooo excited for all these tutorials and more to come!! I just finished all the blocks for my first quilt and am on such a roll to get this one finished and to get started on another! YAY Quilt MONTH!!

38. Kristin says:

OK, I’ve got myself and mat and a cutter. I’m going to play too!

39. Yay! Finally I learned the disappearing 9-patch! I´ll try it this weekend :) Thanks!

40. Meredith says:

Wow, I did a disappearing 9-patch and I didn’t even know that’s what I was doing! Thanks for featuring this, now I can check out these variations for more inspiration!!

If anyone would like to see my version, they can check out the entry on my blog:

41. Amy says:

Love that disappearing nine-patch. How clever! Thanks for the links!

42. Suzanne says:

This is the first I’ve seen of the disappearing 9 patch and I love it! Very simple and you get a nice random yet very balanced quilt.

43. Cassie Ogle says:

I’m headed to buy some new fabric! I can’t wait to get started on the Disappearing 9-Patch quilt :D

44. Sam VanDerPuy says:

Love the vintagey looking nine patch. That’s the kind of thing I imagine being passed down from generation to generation. ALso love any ideas from Denyse Schmidt, and Heather Bailey’s freshcut line. Love it all! Way to go sew mama sew…..keep it up!

45. blop says:

Very cool!

46. Jen says:

I have a question about the disappearing 9 patch. When you “square it up” do you make the outside blocks equal to the center block? Or do you keep the 1/4 seam allowance on the exterior blocks?

Thanks so much!

47. Marcia says:

I’m so going to be making some doll sized quilts to try these techniques…THANKS!

48. LadySnow says:

Now I have inspiration for all my scraps. :D

49. Diane Branish says:

I really love your blog. As a quilter I look forward to reading your posts all month.

50. shelley says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial link to the Crazy 9-patch! This is one I really want to try! February is going to be a great month.

51. Michele says:

My hope in SMS sharing these great tutorials and daily information on quilting will take the “fear” out of it and make it more accessible to those who think there’s some geometric mystery to quilting. You CAN do this and these tutorials show you how. Try it…it’s addictive!

52. EmmyLizzy says:

I love the disappearing nine patch, such a complex look but soooooo simple!

53. I am not sure where I can put up pictures of quilts we make. I have made a crazy nine patch lap rug here – http://jmckcrafts.blogspot.com/2008/02/crazy-nine-patch-quilt.html

54. Anna says:

will make sure that your quilt focus will get out to brisbane australia blog writers/readers.

55. min says:

ooh…I LOVE Calamity Kims creation! Classic red and white…you can’t go wrong.
    I’m looking forward to this month and having something to check back daily for.

56. Kristine says:

I’ve been looking for the disappearing 9-patch, but I didn’t know the name or how to describe it! Thanks for featuring it!

57. CIndy says:

Disappearing 9 patch–so basic and so clever–this one has gotten me very excited–like a switch has been turned on! Thank You!

58. Kieny says:

Thanks for putting in the tutorial for the crazy 9 patch, I didn’t know that one!

59. Lisa says:

Wonderful tutorials.

60. shannon says:

I’ve been wanting to try that disappearing 9 patch. I’m so excited about all the quilting fun going on here for February. I better get started on my block!

61. Lesley-Anne says:

Thank you so much for these tutorials! I’ve been wanting to try my hand at quilting for some time now and quilting month is the perfect time for me to get started. Kudos!

62. Libby says:

I never realized there were different variations of the nine patch. I love the two alternatives.

63. sarah says:

I have all my crazy 9 patch squares done but didn’t have any idea how to lay it out. I love Wendy’s idea of setting them against the white. Nice!

64. Michelle says:

Very Nice! Can wait to try the tutorial!

65. Lil' d says:

Wow – such beautiful handiwork.

66. Leesa says:

I love the crazy patch 9 square I think I will have to try that.

67. Dawn says:

As a relatively new quilter I love learning anything that I can about designs and the variations that are possible. Thanks so much for doing this series! I will be glued to your site for the month!!!!

68. Pamie G. says:

I love the way you can take such a simple block and make it so beautiful!!!

69. Carol says:

I’ve always wanted to try the crazy nine patch – maybe I’ll have to try it!

70. Judy says:

My very first sewing experience was hand stitching pieces of fabric together to make a nine patch quilt block. What a wonderful memory you have brought to mind. Of course mine was a “traditional” 9-patch but I love what you have done!
    Thanks for a lovely site.

71. rachel says:

I really don’t need to be making a new quilt (I have 3 partially started already!), but I think I might make one of each square. Maybe at the end of it, I can take all the blocks and put them into one quilt. That way I don’t feel like I’m really doing a whole other project.

Sandra, I think if you’re making all of one type of square, they will all be consistent (at least from the tutorials here), but if you’re making different ones (like I want to do), it may require some forethought and math just to make sure. HTH.

72. Claudia~L says:

I really like Wendy’s crazy 9-patch quilt.
    I think I’ll have to try that one.

73. danna osen says:

can’t wait to start a disappearing nine patch!!!!!!!

74. Nicole says:

Those are lovely quilts! I’ve never seen the Disappearing 9-Patch before.

75. Julia D says:

I’m loving the colors in your crazy-9 patch doll quilt!!

76. Kat says:

Any hints on binding a quilt? I’ve made a few tops but haven’t gotten up the guts to put them together yet.

77. Kate says:

I am so excited about this quilting month! I have never made a quilt, but and more than ready to try… Looking forward to lots of amazing advice and helpful hints this month!

78. Lisa C says:

I love Kirsten’s version and have been saving black and white fabric for a similar version (9 patches in b&w alternated with colourful large patches.) Who knew there were so many versions of the nine patch! (Well, obviously a lot of people besides me.)

79. Ashley says:

I love Kirsten’s, Kim’s and Wendy’s! They are so beautiful!

80. Jen says:

I can’t wait to get stitching and make some blocks this month!

81. Thanks so much for doing this. Can’t wait to get started on all of these, but what fabrics to use…always a fun question!

82. kim says:

I’m so excited that February finally started to get a daily quilt lesson or two or three. Thanks!!

83. Allison says:

ooo, i love the crazy 9-patch! we’ve gotten about 10 inches of snow in the past 24 hours, so i’m going to stay inside, stay warm, and create :)

84. trishia says:

I love that disappearing nine patch and plan to use it soon for a project. It is so interesting, and when I finally found a tutorial to show how it was done I had an “oooohhhhh” moment. Love those moments in quilting!

85. Gina says:

I think I’m going to have to try the disappearing 9 patch. Thanks for the inspiration!

86. Carrie says:

What beautiful quilts!!! I have never quilted before but all of these look do-able, and are a great way to use up my huge scrap stash. I think I’m going to be busy this weekend!!!

87. Shannon says:

How fun – I’ll be following along with this one. I’m working on finishing up a crib/twin size stacked coin quilt to use up some of the the blues and greens in my stash, and I think I’ll make the patch of the week from the other end of the spectrum – with my reds/oranges/yellows. Fun!

88. Regina says:

I was trying to figure out what pattern to use for a quilt for SIL, and the disappearing 9 patch will be perfect!!! Thanks so much – I had not seen this one.

Can’t wait for tomorrow!!!

89. carmell says:

9 Patch was my first quilt… 5 years ago. i’ll have to try a variation !!

90. Kristi Van Os says:

Wow – The disappearing 9 patch. I couldn’t tell how to make it looking at the block but after looking at the tut, it is really simple. Thanks!

91. sandra says:

Okay I have a question for you. I have been promising my daughter that I would make her a quilt for a while now. I am new at sewing and brand new a quilting so I joined in to (hopefully give me that push to get me started) My question is… Will all the squares be the same size? (or have the ability to be made the same size?) So if I make this square(s) 12 inches I will be able to keep that consistent throughout?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

92. claudia says:

Block-along!!! Fantastic! I’m in!
    Soooooo excited.

93. Myra says:

I love the disappearing 9 – patch, a great variation of an old favorite.

94. Amy says:

Helen’s tutorial was super! Her pictures made it so obvious and easy. Thanks, Helen!!!

95. Deb says:

Thank you for hosting Quilting Month! It will be exciting to learn some new quilting tips and see others’ quilt pictures. I’ve never heard of Disappearing 9-Patch either! very interesting.

96. Tara says:

I saved a bunch of my little girl’s first year clothes so that someday I could learn to make them into a quilt. Now I have no excuse not to start. Thanks again for your great and inspiring blog!

97. Kristi says:

Wow, those quilts are all gorgeous! I’ve never really quilted before, but this makes me want to give it a go.

98. Christie says:

I love the crazy 9 patch doll quilt. so organized, yet crazy. I think I am already overwhelmed with ideas.

99. Andrea says:

How wonderful. I really like the crazy 9 block.

100. Nada says:

i’ve seen the disappearig nine-patch before, but never knew what the block was called… I can’t wait to try it! I’m off to clean house so i’ll have space to cut fabric again!

101. Marisa says:

This sew-a-long is just the right speed now that school is back in session for me! I’m thinking of patching the knees of my holey old jeans with some of these ideas, made tiny – and then turning them into maternity pants. Fun!

102. Heather K. says:

Eek! My head is spinning! Make it stop! I don’t know how you ladies do it. I’m glad that you do and grateful for you sharing. I just don’t know if I can ever figure this all out. I am determined to try though.

103. annie says:

those are beautiful!

104. Angela says:

Those are so pretty! The quilting class I’m signed up for is a disappearing nine patch! :D I love that wonky one too tho!

105. Amy says:

I love the disappearing 9-patch! It’s so cool. I can’t wait to try it! Thanks!

106. Gretchen says:

Amazing!

107. heather w. says:

oh I’m going to try the crazy 9-patch! THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS!!!!!!

108. MichelleW says:

Thanks for the inspiration!

109. renee says:

i love that disappearing 9 patch tutorial. That’s how i got over my fear of quilting. I recently finished my first quilt following it and love the way it turned out. I should try another one of these using different colors…i did mine with fall colors.

110. upstatelisa says:

love 4 patch and 9 patch variations. Quilters Playtime had a great variation on 4 patches and used mine for coasters! thanks for the links and ideas!

111. alicia says:

I am so excited for quilting month. I just started to learn to quilt last year and I’m so excited to see and learn more this month. Thank you!

112. Lari says:

I’m so glad I remembered your site. I’m a beginning quilter and love these ideas. I’m looking forward to the month!

113. applecyder says:

So glad that quilting month is here. Thanks for posting the great tutorials.

114. Michele says:

Wow…so many great quilts…I really liked the Disappearing 9-Patch, I’ve never seen that before!

115. christa says:

ohh wow. thanks for all the ideas. this is great!

116. Sarah says:

So excited to try this!!!

117. Rose L says:

This all looks very doable — now I will just have to pick out some fabrics to try…

118. mary says:

Love that crazy 9-patch doll quilt!!

119. Alissa says:

Can’t wait to get started… must pull myself away from crafting blogs to actually DO the crafting!!

120. mj says:

I love the Alice in Wonderland! Always looking for ways to use redwork.

121. Mellissa says:

Thanks for sharing all this wonderul information. I’ve been wanting to start quilting for some time now. This helps move me forward.

122. Marcia says:

I have quilted for quite awhile, but, as always, when I come here I learn something new! I love the inspiration I get here! Thanks!

123. Courtney says:

Beautiful! I can’t wait to get started trying some of these!

124. Oh My. So many beautiful and contemporary examples. I am starting to feel a quilting need. God help me (but mostly my husband and daughter).

125. Amber says:

Can’t wait to get started on those Crazy nine patch squares – great tutorials!!

126. Rachel says:

Piecing always seems so intimidating to me, but I think I could actually DO one of these! Some really fabulous and clever variations. Wish I had some fabric to turn into one of these ;)

127. Emily says:

I haven’t done the crazy nine-patch or the disappearing nine-patch. I’m looking forward to trying a new technique for this week’s block.

128. Jennifer G says:

I think that I will be giving these a try! I am excited to learn along with this–thanks!

129. alison says:

All of these 9-patch variations are beautiful. I’m teaching myself to quilt this month and planning a doll quilt. We’ll see how it goes!

130. Melissa says:

I don’t have any quilting asperations yet. But I Love the quilt squares in the matted frame. I think I will make a few of these for my walls.

131. marisa says:

Great tutorials – thank you!

132. Jeanne says:

Each quilt is beautiful! I think I’m going to have to make Wendy’s version of the Crazy 9-Patch. It screams summer and would look PERFECT on my kitchen table this summer!

133. Mystele says:

Just lovely!

134. Amy says:

I think I have just doubled the number of blogs I read by reading this one post! I may have to quit my job! :) Thanks so much!

135. Sequana says:

Great beginning to a fun month.

136. Katie says:

Super! I’m way excited to get quilting! Thanks for the inspiration.

137. Andrea says:

Lovely examples to get us started. The wonky- not – quite- straight sounds right up my street! I’m off to raid my stash!

138. So much good stuff!

139. Lola says:

I’ve haven’t seen the disappearing 9 patch before. That is a great, and fun variation that I’m ready to try……I’m snowed in today so i need lots of projects!

140. Stacey says:

Yeah! What a great “a-long” to use up some of my stash. Thanks!

141. Melanie says:

I think I’ll do a traditional 9 patch for my first quilt. I am expecting a baby girl in May, and have been itching to do something in various shades of pink and pastels. Thanks for the inspiration, as always!

142. Lorajean says:

I think I’ll want to print out every single post and make a book. A virtual book where I can still click on links!

143. Angela James says:

9 patch looks just about my speed, lol. Thanks for sharing the unique examples. They’re inspiring!

144. Jen says:

I know what I’m doing this weekend.

145. kira says:

I am just about finished with a disappearing nine patch myself … love the way that the nine patch variations look! :)

146. Pat says:

This is a great idea ! Thanks so much for sharing all this info.

147. Sandy says:

I’m so glad you featured the disappearing 9-patch. I’ve been wanting to try that out and this is the perfect excuse to just do it.

148. Tex says:

Who knew there were so m any variations on the basic 9 patch? I love it!

149. Lesley says:

A wonderful introduction to 9 patch blocks – I already feel like I’ve learned a lot.

150. Betty says:

I can’t say thank you enough for sew mama sew to have this quilting month we all these great tutorials all together.

151. nikole says:

gorgeous, I’ve never seen the disappearing 9 patch, I’ll have to check it out!