FFF Winners + Zipper Tutorials

on April 14 | in Contests & Giveaways | by | with 15 Comments

Thank you all for telling us about your sewing goals.  I know many of you will be happy to hear that we are currently planning Women’s Clothing Month, which begins May 1!

Those of you (about half) who need some zipper help get more immediate gratification.  Did you know that we already have two fantastic zipper tutorials on our site?  Michelle from Green Kitchen wrote the first zipper tutorial last year for our Skirt Month theme.  If you are struggling with zippers, I hope you’ll take a look.  (Michelle uses a secret tool that you might have to borrow from your kids ;-)  The second zipper tutorial was written by Autum of Creative Little Daisy during Bag Month.  Autum shows you how to make the perfect zippered pocket, which you can apply to a handbag or an article of clothing.  So there you go–you ask and we deliver!

The ten randomly-selected winners of Flutterby Charm Packs are Terri, Renee, Jordan, Sarah, Tricia, Cally, Paige, Hannah, Megan and Anna.  Congratulations!  Please look for an email from us today.

15 Responses to FFF Winners + Zipper Tutorials

1. Søren says:

oh please please *please* talk about darts! I have looked at EVERY tutorial for them online, and none of them really show you what to do if you don’t know what you’re doing. I guess I mean how to put them into clothes if your pattern doesn’t have them, like how to make things more shaped. I don’t get how to make them match on either side, how to make the sides of them slightly curved (or *if* that should be done) how to figure out where they should be, how to make them not lumpy… the only thing I know is not to backstitch at the points!

2. Sarah says:

Ahh, thank you for the links!

3. Lissa says:

I’ll be sure to check out those tutorials, as I can’t afford to add more to the ‘swear word jar’…

Lissa
    australia

4. Thank you so much! I missed that somehow… and I’ve had a skirt sitting here, waiting for a zipper, for months now.

Another tutorial I would be really excited to see: making a purse with a zipper close top. Something very secure for travel and walking through crowds. It’s hard to put a zipper in a purse, because the purse is not open on the bottom! Or maybe I’m trying to do it at the wrong step?

5. Molly says:

Thanks, I always need a good zipper refresher. My sister also has a zipper pouch tutorial that is very easy to follow. find it here http://thevillageshopblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/change-purse.html

6. Jen says:

Excellent selection for another theme month. I’m looking forward to it!

7. Megan says:

Thank you so much for the links to the zipper tutorials. I’m so excited about Women’s Clothing month!

8. Tina says:

I just bought Sew What! Skirts. Looking forward to checking out the zipper tutorials. I’ve never sewn in a zipper! I admit to being slightly intimidated. But, as with all things, you just need to jump in and try, and be willing to make a few mistakes!

9. Rita says:

I have found that the quality of the zipper is really important as well, not just technique. I usually mess up Coats zippers (my fabric gets stuck in the teeth) but I used zippers found at another store in my area and haven’t had a single problem. If you are in the DC area, the store is G Street Fabrics (I’m sure you know it).

10. Amy W says:

Zippers! Great! I’m just about ready to put one in the sundress I’m attempting to sew for myself. Thanks!

11. Kerry says:

Thanks for pointing us to the zipper tutorials! I’ve practiced, and I still have a bit of trouble maneuvering the zipper pull up and down while sewing to avoid the lump look. Any additional suggestions would be great for future tutorials!!!

12. Mellissa says:

Thanks for the zipper help!

13. kristena says:

Zipper Tutorials! I forgot that I needed help with that… :)

14. Heather says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for these tutorials! I’m headed off to practice now….wish me luck!

15. Whoo-hoo! Thank you. I love the flutterby prints, can’t wait to figure out something fun to do with them.