Vintage Smock Sew-Along, 3a & 3b

on May 19 | in Sew-Alongs, Vintage Smock Sew-Along | by | with 28 Comments

Today we have the third (and final) week of instructions for our Vintage Smock Sew-Along. You can see the whole project in the introduction and part one, part two, supplemental written instructions and you can find related discussions in the forum.

We appreciate Bethany’s hard work so very much; she created a fun project and some fantastic videos too. Thank you, Bethany. Now, let’s see your smocks!

The third week of instructions is comprised of the two videos below (3a & 3b):

• Vintage Smock Video Three(a) covers bias tape and more.

• Vintage Smock Video Three(b) focuses on button holes.

28 Responses to Vintage Smock Sew-Along, 3a & 3b

1. Karen says:

Thank you Bitter Betty! I am 95% finished with my smock, and I am SO PROUD OF MYSELF! Your free tutorial and pattern was extremely generous. I feel great having completed my first sewing project so successfully, and having made something so useful!

2. RCD says:

awsome instructions on the button hole attachment. I had no lcue how to use mine. Now I can try some buttons.

3. chelsea says:

Thanks for the tutes and the videos really make it do-able.

4. Camille says:

What a treasure! I’ve just discovered this blog and I can’t wait to go through these tutorials. Thanks for the hard work you put in to the videos.

5. upstatelisa says:

i remember learning hand smocking in school. It was fun but slow. I have some wonderful smocked dresses that my grandmother made for my sister and I as little girls. I would love to hang them or honor their beauty somehow.

6. Kristen says:

These helped me brave enough to try the whole sewing thing again. Thank you so much for videos!

7. Audrey says:

I’ve never been much good at sewing clothing, but your lessons make it seem so clear, I may have to give it another shot! Thanks!

8. Tara H. says:

I love this tutorial and have learned SO much. Thanks for doing this Bethany. I just finished my smock and am loving it.

9. Ann Jewell says:

Fantastic vidio on making a smock. I will be starting one for my Mom and myself soon. Bethany is a great teacher and I hope she will be making more vidios. Thanks again!
    Ann Jewell

10. Yetta says:

What a great project. Thank you for putting together such clear and easy to follow instructions.

11. Amy Jo says:

THanks for the lesson on bias tape. I never knew you were supposed to unfold the smaller side and sew raw edge to raw edge. I’ve always been “scared” of bias tape b/c it’s so skinny! Now I know the secret. :)

12. Libby says:

Great videos. Thank you for all your time and insight.

13. EmmyLizzy says:

Thanks so much for holding our hands during this projects. Kudos!

14. Nancy says:

Thanks for the video’s. I know they must take a long time to do and I really appriciate it.

15. Kim B. says:

Thank you for these videos!

16. Mel says:

Yet more inspiration, thanks!

17. Nancy says:

I have never tried smocking, but I think it is the most darling thing for dresses and such. Maybe this tutorial will be able to get me started. Thanks for posting it.

18. Annie says:

Great videos and cute smock. It was incredibly easy and looks amazing!

Thanks!

19. Amy S. says:

Thanks Bethany! This was a great learning project for me! And I love the end result! I have been wearing my smock for all my kitchen duties! Now I am inspired and am going to make some blouses.

20. Pamela says:

Yea! Now I can finish my smock. Thank you for sharing this tutorial. Such fun!

21. Em says:

Great sew-along! I will come back to this when I don’t have so much at my sewing table!!! Just FYI- I’m celebrating my 100th post, of course there’s a give-away involved… check it out! Em

22. katie says:

My smock is not encouraging me to clean… hmmm. You must have a different machine for that!

Thanks, Bethany! Great job!

23. J says:

Thank you very much Bethany for the wonderful smock lessons. I really enjoyed making this and ironically enough, I was inspired to clean the house when I donned the finished smock! Your instructions were abolutely wonderful.
    I didn’t bias tape the back because I didn’t have enough tape (read, I was too lazy to make my own) so I simply serged that area; also, my neck area turned out a bit wonky but that’s o.k. because ‘it’s just a smock- not a wedding dress!’ Thanks again- you ROCK!

24. Andi says:

This was awesome! I actually had a lot of fun putting the seam binding on, I couldn’t believe how easy it was. Thanks again for a great set of videos!

25. Georgia says:

Thanks so much for this fantastic pattern and tutorial! I hardly ever sew anything for myself, so this was really fun. Also, I feel like I can tackle clothing for myself now! Thanks!

26. Mellissa says:

Thanks so much for these videos. I was waiting for the final installments to start. I can’t wait to make this smock.

27. erin says:

Yeah! I was so excited for this final installment. I’ve been having nightmares about the seam binding but I’ve done one armhole so far and it looks great. Thanks for this great series of videos.

28. Marcia says:

Thanks! I have some great fabric and plan to make this next week. I’ll be sure to post when done. You did a really great job on the videos