Women’s Clothing Month

on May 1 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 52 Comments

Our board members, Elizabeth, Bethany, Irene and Beki, have been hard at work helping us plan Women’s Clothing Month on the Sew,Mama,Sew! blog. Do you have questions about how to measure yourself properly? How to select (and decipher!) patterns? Do you want to learn more about making a working muslin copy? About adjusting patterns to fit your body? Do you feel like you have a way to go before you master collars, seams, hems, darts, bindings, sleeves, zippers and the like?

You’re in the right place at the right time!

• On Monday we’ll introduce our month-long Sew-Along Pattern, brought to us in full multi-media glory by (board member) Bethany. It’s a wonderful smock top based on a vintage pattern, flattering for all body types and will help us work through a variety of fun clothing sewing skills.
  • Head over to our Women’s Clothing Month Flickr Pool to share photos. We’d love process photos and images that share tips/questions related to women’s clothing patterns, in addition to your beautiful finished items.
  • Grab our Women’s Clothing Month Button for your blog from the top or main page, and let everyone know you’re playing along!
  • Sign up for our big, new “let’s try it!” Sew,Mama,Sew! Forum. Visit this post for a how-to. Each time we focus on a specific women’s clothing sewing skill we’ll start a corresponding new thread for questions and answers in the forum.
  • Our Amazing Contributors are also set to help you all month long with informative articles and tips. Look forward to learning from:

Are you excited?!

52 Responses to Women’s Clothing Month

1. Rebecca Clarke says:

Wow this is a great idea. I love to sew my own clothes but never seem to find the time. Hopefully this will get me inspired to make the time as well as the clothes.

2. I am so excited to see all the wonderful resources & tips on this theme this month! :)

3. Christy says:

I am very thrilled, I have been wanting to build my skill level, and this is just perfect!

4. earthchick says:

Answer: YES. I am excited!

5. Bec says:

Oh yes, yes I am!!!!!!!

6. Rene says:

Thanks! This is just what I need right now! Looking forward to it!

7. Jenaveve says:

Should I… shouldn’t I? Can I take any more on? Hmm… this might be just the thing. I will have a look and see how it goes. Fabulous idea though.

8. Bess says:

Oh I am so excited. I have been wanting to try to sew something for myself instead of the kids. This will be the perfect excuse. Yippee

9. Steph W says:

Yes, I am very excited!

10. tammie says:

yay! maybe i’ll finally make something for myself.

11. Mary says:

I am so looking forward to this topic….Seems I always set my own sewing aside.

12. Karen aka Grammy Mac says:

Sounds like a winner!!!

Thanks,
    Karen

13. Sarah says:

Totally excited about this, cannot wait! I have been wanting to start making some clothes for myself, so this has come at the right time. Thank you so much!!

14. sherri says:

I’m SO excited! I keep meaning to get out my machine and re-ignite my rusty sewing skills–and maybe this will do the trick. I love this blog and am so inspired by what I see here (though I need to actually get out the sewing machine, LOL). Thanks!

15. sharon says:

yes, yes and YES … i need help with all of those things … and what a talented line up of cntributors

16. Vicky says:

Can’t wait! I’m still new to making my own clothes, some are a success and lots end up half-completed so it’ll be great to learn properly! xx

17. Kate says:

Heck yeah I’m excited. I’ve made two poorly sized garments for spring, so looking forward to measuring and pattern-size deciphering tips.

18. tanja says:

Yes, I am! Now there is no reason left why I should wait to sew a tunic for me!

19. min says:

I speak for those of us who have trouble even figuring out a basic pattern. Sounds dumb, but there’s always one part that stumps me and I have nobody to ask if I have a question. Here’s to hoping there’ll be something for beginners…mabye like a pair of hang out jammie type of pants made of something that doesn’t require a serger??? I’m hesitant to buy a serger in case I can never sew….I’d like to have a bit of success with sewing first, and then I’d be willing to invest in a serger.
    I hope the staff reads through all of these…

20. Toni says:

Not sure if this is possible – but would love to see some patterns ahead of time that you guys are going to use. That way, I can order them and have them at the ready when you guys start. Just a thought. :)

21. Libby says:

This is great. Looking forward to all the inspiration.

22. Ashley H. says:

Add me to the list of people who’ve never sewed for themselves. For some reason I’m intimidated by the idea. I’m excited to play along and give it a try!

23. renee says:

oh this is going to be fun!

24. Thien-Kim says:

I’m looking forward to it! I have contemplating sewing a new wardrobe as I’m not a fan of clothes shopping (nothing fits right and it’s hard to shop when you have a 2 year old with you).

25. Alejandra says:

oooh I’m gonna cry, i’m gonna cry, I’m gonna cry…

26. Heather says:

I would love to see some maternity things! I have some great shirt tutorials that have been posted before — but as I get bigger…. ;–)

27. BethieB says:

Just have to say that knowing this was coming up, I went out last night and bought my first clothing patterns ever. I figured if I ran into huge problems there’d probably be something on SMS to help me out, since it’s Women’s Clothing month…I am so excited to be part of this and learn stuff! :0)

28. Andrea says:

I am sooo exited for this. I can handle kids clothes but for me it will definately be a challenge. I can’t wait to see all of the new ideas.

29. ChristineB says:

I am beyond happy about May’s theme! I am so lacking in confidence to sew for myself and patterns never fit more than one place. What I really wish for is a dressmaking buddy who lives close by!

30. Sarah says:

This is great! I need to finish a few things for myself and my crazy bulging baby belly before the belly disappears. And then i’ll need to make a few new comfy things for that post baby stage. I hope I can find time!

31. Ms. Cleaver says:

I’m a woman, I sew clothing, and i so excited excited for May!

32. Alison says:

I’m off on holiday on saturday for two weeks. Such poor timing on my part! What a lot I’ll have to catch up on when I get back!

33. Margie says:

This is going to be a wonderful month. I want to sew for me but keep putting it off. This may be the push that I need to sew for me!! I’ve not made any clothing items for myself. I love the new look to Sew,Mama,Sew.

34. meg says:

Totally!! I’m still pretty weak in the area of garment-making, so I’m looking forward to all of the help. Maybe I *can* do this after all!

35. Tina says:

I am very excited about this month too! Maybe this will be my motivation to make something for myself. I too want to make something from Sew What! Skirts. The book is sitting there on the corner of my desk just calling to me….

36. Pam says:

I am so excited! I must admit to being a selfish seamstress. I would much rather sew for myself than my children, husband or business.

I finished a new dress last week, and have a blouse and pants and maybe another dress on my agenda. I can’t wait to see what everyone else does this month!

37. stephanie says:

I’m thrilled!! I’m about to attempt my first skirt from Sew What! Skirts. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

38. Teresa says:

I cannot wait! With all of these tips, this is going to be a great sewing month!

39. Michele says:

Very exciting! I need any tips that I can get on sewing clothes!

40. Avlor says:

YEAH! This is so timely. ;) I want to make summer clothes for me, now that I have kiddo clothes covered!

41. Lizzie says:

I’m really excited to make something for myself, too! I think I tried three different shirts last summer and none of them looked right. Now’s my chance to make some pretties for me. :)

42. Stephanie says:

My only question is…..can it be 2 months instead of just one? :)

43. Rachel says:

Woohoo! I think this should officially be the summer of the sundress, but I have an impossible time finding ones that fit my top and my bottom AND my waist. Can’t wait to learn about how to work with patterns!

44. Debra says:

I can’t wait for the sew along! It will be my first :)

45. Jenn says:

So excited about this month! I’ve sewn a few things for myself, but they’re never quite right, so I’m looking forward to the tips and tutorials!

46. Carrie says:

I am so excited about this month! I have made lots of clothes for my toddlers, but have yet to make anything for myself except some halloween costumes. I have wanted to start sewing for myself for a while now, but my biggest hold up has been that I am pretty small and most of the patterns I’ve found start at a size 6 or 8, which is way too big for me. I hope you’ll give some tips on how to modify a pattern to make it smaller. I’m also super excited about the new forum…can’t wait to try it out. Keep up the great work!!!

47. britt says:

YAY I am excited :-D

48. Kelli says:

This will be great. I could always use motivation to sew for myself instead of my kids!

49. Jessica D. says:

Ooh! This sounds like fun! I have no time to sew right now, but will be watching this blog closely! I have mastered pajama pants and that’s about it! It would be wonderful if someone was able to address adjusting a pattern UP to the next size (the patterns I love typically stop just 1-2 sizes short of what I need, of course!). But the ‘plus sized’ patterns end up being too big! Ak! What’s a girl to do? Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

50. Amy W says:

I’m so very excited! I have the most trouble sewing for myself! I can’t wait to sew-along on the top!

51. Mellissa says:

This will be a lot of fun. I’ve never sewn anything for myself.

52. I have recently been thinking about pulling out my sewing machine and whipping up a couple of summer skirts, so your theme is spot on!

Looking forward to a great month.

Janet