Are you a grommet expert?

on June 11 | in Etc... | by | with 15 Comments

Edited to add: I think we’ve already found some great experts. If you contacted us we’ll be in touch soon! Thanks so much.

We’re looking for someone with grommet expertise for a special project in July.

Have you made lots of things with grommets? Do you have time for a fun Sew,Mama,Sew! project in July?

Tell us about your level of expertise and your interest in a quick email to [email protected] Please send photos or links of projects you’ve made with grommets. Aside from our thanks and some great visitors to your blog from SMS, we’ll also happily compensate you with some fabric goodness. We look forward to hearing from you!

15 Responses to Are you a grommet expert?

1. Ivan Ochoa says:

Hi! i need to find a tool to install small rubber grommets, I have look on different web pages and I have’nt found what I need, please I need your help.
    I hope their is so one out there, that knows about this, thanks!.

2. Natasha says:

I can’t wait for this tut. I have a project on hold because I am weary of using grommets. Thanks :)

3. i would love to help with the groomets project, i have 25 years sewing exp and made bunch of drapes and boat covers with groomets, let me know.

4. Kelly Jo says:

Perfect timing! I just bought my grommet kit from Lowe’s and I plan on attaching them to my bag (hopefully!) this week! If it goes well, of course I’ll post photos, if not, then I’ll be looking for someone else’s expert advice!

5. Annette says:

For those who use grommets more than rarely – I would highly suggest the plier tool – it’s definitely worth the $16.00 (I bought mine at Joann’s). It makes putting the grommets together almost painless. Good luck!

6. Rebecca says:

I used grommets around the top of a purse that I made to thread a scarf through them. All I remember is that my downstairs neighbor was not at all happy with the pounding sounds I made on the floor! lol

7. Wendi Gratz says:

I’ve used grommets for some theater curtains and a banner for my daughter’s school. No photos, of course, but I learned some nifty tips and tricks along the way. I love the finish and I’m planning on using it this summer for shower curtains, window curtains, and kitchen cabinet curtains when I move into the house we’re almost done building.

8. Laua says:

I recently used grommets in my placemat purse. You can view pictures of it on my blog. I wouldn’t consider myself an expert but I liked using them, for me it was fun and easy.

9. Shannon Burchard says:

I was at the hardware store the other day and the man told me ball bearings are the best for grommets (and much cheaper then the tool). I haven’t gotten to my project yet, so I can’t say how well the bearings work. Someone want to give it a try?

10. Em says:

I once bought a grommet ataching thingy… thinking it was for snaps… sorry – I look forward to seeing what you’re making with the grommets!

11. Jill says:

I am NOT a grommet expert, but I had to comment. Awhile back I purchased grommets and the little tool becuase I just knew they would be fun to use and I would need them sometime. Last night while making a purse for my Grandma, I rememberd them and thought grommets might be fun to add. Um, no. I could not figure it out and I pride myself on the fact that even though instructions can be lacking I ususally find a way. Not always right, but find a way. SO, thank you for some how hearing my cry last night (or was it the pounding) and I can’t wait to learn abour grommets from someone who knows! Love your blog by the way!!!

12. renee says:

oh yay! i found a packet of these at a rummage sale and want to make a beach bag but have been to lazy to look up at how to do them.

13. AmyDe says:

I have used grommets exactly 5 times and loved it each time – so clean and easy for great finishing. I of course have photos of none (as they were all gifts), but if you give me a chance I know I’ll make you proud!

Thanks for the opportunity!

14. Yay! Hopefully a good grommet tute will come up! My grommets always look all wonk-eyed. I can’t wait to find out how to do this right.