Featured Creativity ~ Smock Style

on June 9 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 10 Comments

We had so much fun with the Women’s Clothing Month Vintage Smock Sew-Along from Bethany. Her series of videos and project download will endure as our go-to smock pattern! Several sewists made smocks for friends, and we think they’d make especially great gifts with a few cooking utensils or sewing notions tucked in the pockets.

FCSMaria.jpg

Vintage Smock by Maria, knit.spin.sew

Maria thanks Bethany for her great videos and says, “I finally learned how to use the bias binding foot, which I had sitting there for years!”

FCSKate.jpg

Vintage Smock by Katie, The Adventures of Curt and Katie Mulder

This is a back view of one of two smocks Katie made. She adds that she left off the darts and ties; “The end-result was more art-smock than 1950′s apron, and I really like it! They will be hard to give away!… Great pattern, Bethany!” See detail shots and the other smock on Katie’s blog.

FCSErin.jpg

Vintage Smock by Erin, The Slippery Slope

Erin writes that she had a great time making the smock, “…Especially learning how to overcome some challenges with alteration.” She wrote about the process on her blog, The Slippery Slope.

FCSGeorgia.jpg

Vintage Smock by Georgia, Puking Pastilles

Georgia made her cute smock with some alterations and great, graphic fabrics.

Thanks again, Bethany. You can see other sew-along smocks here, here and here. Wow! Did we miss yours? Leave a link in the comments and share it with us.

10 Responses to Featured Creativity ~ Smock Style

1. Em says:

gorgeous smocks! I have just made my first Emmeline apron, and I’m loving that pattern… but smocks are really cute too! I especially like the one Georgia made with the tie and little pockets!

2. nikole says:

everyone did an awesome job! i just discovered a new fabric shop close to my house so now i need to try one!

3. Brooke says:

Wow, you ladies are so talented. I wish I could add a couple more hours onto the day to sew more :)

4. I have enjoyed looking at the smocks. My grandmother wore then all the time. My mom just recently gave me one of my grandmothers, it is made out of a bird fabric. I posted a picture of it on my blog. If I’d of know sooner about vintage smock month I would have taken a lot of different pictures of them to share.

5. Christine says:

I have to have one like Georgia. It reminds me of a neighbor who wore aprons all the time.

6. Margie says:

I love all the smocks. Wonderful sewing ladies. I better get in gear & make mine!!

7. katie says:

Thanks for putting those up, Beth. It’s great incentive to keep working at this whole sewing thing! (and to cut down on my use of exclamation points)

8. Helen Gillis says:

I posted my smock picture in the Women’s Clothing Month flickr pool – can you move it over for me?

Thanks
    Helen in Malden, Massachusetts

9. Those are all so great!

10. Dawn says:

I have this vintage pattern.
    Must.