New fabric collections

on June 20 | in Products | by | with 22 Comments

We have Ginseng from Joel Dewberry, Drawing Room from Anna Maria Horner and Midwest Modern from Amy Butler in the shop, and County Fair from Denyse Schmidt will soon arrive! Aside from their beauty these collections all have something else in common; they all feature fabrics with a slightly heavier, home dec weight.

We asked Joyce Robertson, Commercial Director for Westminster Fibers Fabrics Division, to share a little information with us about this industry trend towards heavier, wider cottons:

Sew,Mama,Sew: We were a little surprised to see so many designers coming out with collections in home dec weight this season. Can you tell us why Westminster has chosen to go this direction?
Joyce Robertson: We want to provide diversity in the marketplace. Our wider width fabrics and new substrates are intended to persuade the home sewer towards lifestyle projects rather than just quilting (i.e. home decorating, apparel, accessories, etc…).

SMS: We noticed that the groups are printed on cotton sateen, cotton canvas, or heavy cotton sateen. What can you tell us about each of these?
Joyce: The cotton sateen has a characteristic soft, smooth, lustrous surface. The cotton canvas is a firm, closely woven more durable cloth which has body and strength and used where sturdiness is required.

SMS: How do you determine which of the above fabrics you’ll use for a collection?

Joyce: Our artists request these specific substrates for their fabric collection

SMS: Can you use these collections for quilting? For making clothing? Does a certain type of fabric particularly lend itself to certain uses?

Joyce: Yes, even though the fabric is heavier than regular quilting cotton, these fabrics can still be used for quilting and apparel. There is no limit for these substrates in home sewing projects.

We have upcoming interviews with some of our favorite designers to share more about this trend in the weeks to come, and we love all of the latest projects featuring these collections. The first photo of beautiful skirts by Kristen of Gock’s Frocks features Amy Butler’s Midwest Modern. The little red dress highlights Drawing Room fabric and was designed by Melissa of little girl Pearl. The Weekender Bag by Judy from jw917 also features Midwest Modern fabrics.

22 Responses to New fabric collections

1. molly says:

I just wish you could feel fabric over the Internet. The patterns and colors are lovely!

2. Alisha says:

I love the little girl’s dress!

3. Brassy Meg says:

Love the new lines I am seeing coming out but I think I say that each time! LOL.

Get’s me excited for Fall projects!

4. Mikaiya says:

I’m really excited to try using these slightly heavier fabrics- I have a number of home dec projects coming up in my life, and I am so excited to be able to use such lovely and interesting fabrics by some of my favorite designers. Pillows and drapes, here I come!

5. Elizabeth says:

I’m excited about all these fabrics. It’s so hard for me to find nice quality apparel fabric. Most of it that I come across seems to have a weird hand or terrible coloration. I’m glad that designers are making pretty fabrics that have enough heft to use for clothes. My closet will be prettier for it.

6. gardenymph says:

I’m so glad that you decided to talk about this. I am relatively new to sewing, and I was unsure if I could use the heavier weights for quilting and garment making. Thanks!

7. Terri says:

I have not worked too much with the heavier home decorator weight fabrics, but I love the new ones out now. The designs are so versatile and cheerful. Thanks for sharing the interview and the info.

8. Brandy says:

Fantastic! It will make it so much easier to find patterns I like in fabrics I can use to make pillows and such that will stand up to my kiddos. *chuckles*

Plus I love that I can make little light pants that will stand up to the wear and tear those same kiddos will put them through.

9. Marianne says:

I just made a very nice tote with upholstery-weight cottons and had a terrible time! Broke several needles in the process. The result was nice but not spectacular. Doubt if I will try it again.

10. Westminster is targeting the home sewer and projects such as window treatments, slipcovers, and the like as those require far more fabric than a quilt. They are savvy business people enhancing their own bottom line while at the same time offering a wider variety of fabric for all home sewers – not just quilters.

11. Lisa says:

Thanks for the info on fabric trends. I haven’t delved into much beyond quilts and clothing, but I’m willing to try something new – especially with beautiful new fabrics! I think I’ll browse some tutorials – any suggestions? I’m looking forward to reading more interviews.

12. Jean says:

This is so interesting! Is any of the fabrics particularly well suited for actual upholstering?

13. Em says:

Gorgeous fabrics! I can’t wait to get some of that Midwest Modern fabric for some dresses for my neice. I love those beautiful bright colors, and I bet the cotton sateen feels wonderful!

14. Regina says:

These are just great – especially for clothing and aprons and the like, that little heavier weight just will give those projects so much more body without having to stiffen them with interfacing.

15. Amy G says:

Thanks for this. I’m a complete idiot when it comes to fabric types and what can be done with them. Just today, I bought a pattern that called for “light flannel”, “gabardine” or “brocade”. I was hopeless. Any articles about types of fabric and fabric trends is A+ in my mind. Thanks for the interview!

Amy

16. Karen says:

Beautiful no matter the weight IMO! The skirts and little red dress are adorable….

17. marcia says:

I am excited about the new wideths and weights coming out. Seems like it just helps my mind come up with even more ideas, projects, patterns, so much more to do! As if I need more! It is so great, though!

18. Mel Hallam says:

Love the skirts!

19. LisaC says:

I like the heavier cottons. I am glad to hear it is a trend! I think the thinner cottons make great quilts and garments, but I like the heavier stuff for bags.

20. Christy says:

I personally like the diversity that these heavier weighted fabrics provide. Some lovely and exciting lines are available….can’t wait until the pocketbook allows for some indulgences!

21. Ruth says:

I, for one, am delighted to see heavier weight cottons making a comeback for clothing items! I hate the flimsy cottons you find most of the time. They wear out too fast, and not everyone wants, or needs, their clothing to be see through. I love to make shirts for my husband because he’s a hard size fit. But he’s just too hard on the lighter cottons, and cotton is what he likes. Clothing is far more comfortable in heavier cottons for all the family, especially of you’re making things for children to wear. It helps wick away sweat in hot weather and in cooler weather can be layered for more comfort.

22. Kira says:

I love the home dec weight fabrics coming out! Now all of those chairs that need re-finishing or heavy weight curtains (for the living room) that I’ve been wanting will be perfect and cute! :)