Bethany does it again with her Salvaged Basket for a Fancy Picnic! Enjoy her great project idea and tips. Later this week we’ll share a patchwork blanket to round out your picnic fun!

SSPfinished.jpg

My sister said she wanted a fancy picnic basket and I found a decent one at the second hand store, but it was a little worse for wear so I decided to fix it up.

SSPdamage.jpg

I needed to cover some chewed up edges and some scratches and I thought it would be nice to make a padded lining.

To make the liner:

  • I measured the bottom and luckily it was a rectangle, so I just added an inch to the length and an inch to the width for seam allowance. If you have an oval, you might try tracing a paper template to make your pattern.
  • I cut one rectangle out of fabric and one out of batting.
  • Next I measured the depth of the basket. I took that and added half again as many inches.
  • Then I measured the girth of the basket at the widest part. I took that number and added half again as many inches and then divided by 2.
  • I cut two strips using these measurements.
  • I did a quick rolled edge on the ends.
  • Then these strips got a 3 inch channel hem on the topside…

    SSPhem.jpg

    Lining hem.

    …And a baste stitch to help gather them on the bottom side. I gathered the fabric by pulling the basting stitch thread until the bottom gathered length was half the original circumference plus 1 inch for a seam allowance.

    SSPpinned.jpg

    Pinned lining.

  • I spaced my gathers evenly, and pinned in place, centering it on the end so the edges lined up with the handle of the basket. Then I did the same with the other side and stitched in place.
  • I sewed the sides up half way and fed ribbon through the channel hem. This was tied at the basket handles.

Decoupaged Lid:

  • For the decoupaged lid I just cut a cute motif from the lining fabric and a corresponding fabric. I coated the lid with a thick coat of Mod Podge and placed the fabric on top.

    SSPmodpodge.jpg

  • Then I applied another coat of Mod Podge on the top working from the center of the fabric to the outer edges. I also decoupaged on some rick rack trim. The rough edges were covered with bias tape, which I hot glued in lace because the decoupaged version looked pretty strange and the fabric bias tape made a better transition next to the fabric of the liner. I just went slowly and used the crease in the tape as my guide to place the tape on the very edge of the lid.

I am going to finish it up with some quilted beverage “cozies” (little quilts with adjustable Velcro tabs, to wrap around her tasty beverages) and some of the cute reversible napkins from the Sew Mama Sew Tutorial Contest in matching fabrics!

I hope she likes it!