Sewing for the Home ~ Fabric Liner for Storage Basket

on September 22 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 71 Comments

Kristine shows us how to make fabric liners for storage baskets. Now we can organize in style, right?! Kristine’s introduction is here, and she blogs at limabeanhome. Enjoy!

Materials:

• Fabric of your choice. The amount of fabric depends on the size of your basket. A small basket will probably use about ½ yard, and a larger basket about ¾ yard
  • 12 inches of elastic ( ½” width)
  • Storage basket
  • Scissors or rotary cutter, and measuring tape

One way you can make this project a bit more environmentally-friendly is to find your storage baskets at thrift/second-hand stores. Most second-hand stores have a unique collection of all sizes of storage baskets. This particular tutorial is for a rectangle-shaped basket, so you may want to look for that shape if this is your first attempt at this type of project.

For this particular project I cut up a valance found at my local Goodwill. I chose this valance because the maroon chenille fabric it was made from suited this project very well. Other fabrics that would work well in this project include: home decorator weight fabrics, good-quality cotton quilting fabric, or a bottomweight corduroy or twill.

½” seam allowances, unless specified otherwise

Measuring your basket:

Since most storage baskets are rectangle, measure long side first, then short side on the top of the basket. (If your basket is a square, you will only have one measurement.)

Measure height on the inside of the basket.

Measure the inside bottom of the basket (these measurements will be smaller than top measurements).

Now add ½” to all measurements, except for the height, to which you’ll add 4” for wrapping around the basket edges.

Example–My basket measurements:
Long side: 16” (+ ½”) = 16 ½” cut length
Short side: 12” (+ ½”) = 12 ½” cut length
Height: 6” (+ 4”) = 10” cut height
Inside piece: 12” (+ ½”) x 9” (+ ½”) = 12 ½” x 9 ½” cut inside rectangle

Cutting the pieces:
If your storage basket looks like the one I have here, the side pieces need to be cut into an upside-down trapezoid shape. (You didn’t know you had to remember geometry for this tutorial? A trapezoid looks like a pyramid with the top cut off).

From fabric, cut a rectangle long side cut length x cut height (16 ½” x 10”).

Fold rectangle in half (10” sides meet on the right). Divide the longer measurement from the inside rectangle in half (12 ½” in half = 6 ¼”). Find this measurement on the bottom of the folded fabric and begin gradually cutting in an angle until you meet the top.

Unfold your piece and you should have an upside-down trapezoid. (16 ½” x 12 ½” x 10”)

Use this folded piece as a pattern to cut another identical piece. Then follow these four steps for cutting the shorter side pieces of the basket. Also cut a piece the size of the inside rectangle. (12 ½” x 9 ½”)

You should now have five pieces cut:

• 2 large upside-down trapezoids (For the rest of the tutorial, these pieces will be called A & B—it might be helpful to label them with chalk on the wrong side)
  • 2 smaller upside-down trapezoids (Pieces C & D)
  • 1 rectangle (Piece E)

Sewing the cover:

Pin piece C to piece A on angled side, right sides together.

Stitch. Then pin piece D to the other side of piece A, piece B to the other side of piece D, and the other side of piece B to the remaining side of piece C (This seam should close it up). Make sure all right sides are together, wrong sides are out. Stitch all remaining seams.

Press all seams open.

Try the liner on your basket, making sure all four corner seams match up to the corners of the basket.

Pin each of the four corners of piece E to four corner seams of liner. The point of each rectangle corner should be right in the middle of the pressed seam.

Make sure that the long and short sides of the rectangle are matched up to the long and short sides of the liner.

Begin sewing one inch before a corner. When you come to each corner, leave your needle in the fabric and pivot the whole piece around the corner, making sure the bottom fabric comes with you in the pivot.

You may find that when you match up the corners you have a bit of extra fabric in between. This doesn’t always happen, but can be frustrating if it does, so here is a simple solution. Ease in this extra fabric with a couple of small tucks, but whatever you do—DON’T adjust the corners. Those need to stay put, but a couple of tucks in between the corners will barely be noticed.

Try on your liner again to make sure it fits. If you are satisfied with the fit, sew around the bottom again to reinforce the seam. Press seams open. If desired, you can clean up all the seams with an overlock or zigzag stitch.

Put liner on basket again, pressing the corners of the liner into the corners of the basket. On the outside of the basket, measure 3” down from the top and cut off any excess all the way around.

Press & pin ¾ inch double hem all the way around the top of the liner. Before sewing, try it on to make sure it hangs 1 ½ – 2 inches over side of basket.

Stitch top seam.

Cut elastic into four 3” pieces.

On the top of the liner, position one piece of elastic 2 ½” from center of corner seam. Sew a few anchoring stitches in elastic.

Begin sewing elastic, stretching as you sew. The bottom of the elastic piece should finish about 2 ½” from the opposite side of the seam. (Basically, you have stretched 3” of elastic into 5”) Sew up and down both sides of elastic stretching the whole way. When you are finished sewing, let go–it should bunch up. Repeat with other three corners.

Some basket liners have casings for the elastic, but I found that to be unnecessary, as the elastic doesn’t show once the liner is on the basket. So, don’t worry about the elastic being exposed. Just sew it as close to the inside edge as possible so it doesn’t hang off the sides.

HSBL26.jpg

You’re done! Put the liner on your basket and admire your beautiful work. These basket liners are a great way to add some color and variety to your storage spaces. They can also serve as a protection for the things you are storing in the baskets.

HSBL27.jpg

71 Responses to Sewing for the Home ~ Fabric Liner for Storage Basket

1. I was thinking I would drop a small note for you to say I like going over your blog posts. I run a wordpress blog myself in another topic but I love checking out some of the better sites in other niches to see how people go about their videos and all the other things that comes along with running a successful website. Keep up the good work dude.

2. sharon says:

I’m making a car bed for my 2 puppies. The frame is make from PVC pipe and the liner will be from canvas, but I didn’t have a clue how to make it. this was a big help

3. Lucilia says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I’ve been thinking of making liners for use in a craft fair display. The instructions are very easy to understand so I think I’m heading to the fabric store in the morning! Thanks a bunch!!

Sincerely,
    Lucilia

4. Sara says:

Thank you so much for posting! I was in the middle of sewing the elastic part for my son’s crown (I’m making his second Halloween costume, my first time sewing) and I had to google how to do it then found your blog! I sewed it just fine with your help, thank you so much =)

5. Sita says:

Great tutorial.Makes it look very easy.I want to try this.

6. Melissa says:

Great tutorial! Just made three liners for my soon to be here baby’s room, and I don’t sew! Can’t wait to make some more.

7. Scrapnchick says:

Thanks for the great tutorial, it was well written and the pictures were helpful.

I was able to make a basket liner today, and that is saying a lot because I am terrified of sewing anything other than a completely flat quilt block!

There is a picture of my bicycle basket with liner on my bog if you would like to see =0)

8. raajia says:

Thank you for a great tutorial. I have been looking at making these. Thank you so much.

9. Bridgettes says:

Hi,

I made nine of these for baskets I purchased for my soon to arrive baby. Its my first sewing project ever and turned out great. Thanks so much for the clear instructions that have helped motivate me to sew more!!!

Best,

Bridgette

10. Sheryl Goos says:

I have some decorated crates in my sewing room that needed liners. And I came across this tutorial as soon as I logged on. I’m sooo excited to try it!!!!! I am going to try plastic 1st & see if that works.

11. raajia says:

I have been wanting to do this! It will be so much easier now that I have tutorial! ! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

12. Julie says:

I just love to do any kind of sewing, this is just one of them. I have made one like this, BUT i have made the side liner like if it was pleated. The extra space that it has created (all the way round like little pockets) i am placing my knitting needles all the way round. So i can find my needles very easy and of cause the basket will carry my wool that i am using. I do hope that will give someone more idea? to do?
    Happy crafting. Best wishes always to all who kind enough to read it and of cause will try it?

13. Emily says:

Very nice! I actually have been looking at making these. Thank you for the giveaway too!

14. Sam E. says:

I just love this idea! Finally, a use for all of those baskets I’ve loved the look of!

15. Kelly says:

This is a great idea. I have baskets from the thrift store and none of them match. This adds some style and ties them together.

16. Melanie says:

This is just what I needed! Thanks so much for the wonderful tutorial!

17. Jessica says:

I just wanted to say that I am a very young sewer I am 21 and have a found this passion on my own. I love these basket covers because, I have a daughter that loves to leave toys laying all over the house. I did this project and I love how it makes her toys look like they are in a really great basket. This is a really great idea and I love how you go step by step it really helps me being a beginner.

18. Christina chairez says:

Thanks, I really need to make new liners so this is perfect!

19. SarahHales says:

…ahhh so that’s how you do it, can’t wait to try this one too!!!

20. Carrie says:

Oh, this is SOOO great!! Thank you!

21. Michelle Cowden says:

I’ve always wanted to make one of these for a bread basket but didn’t know how. Thanks!!!

22. Amy says:

Well done! I can’t wait to try it myself.

23. Jennifer A says:

This is wonderful! Thank you!

24. nandini says:

love it.. these would look good under my daughters changing table!!

25. Laurie says:

Thank you for the great tutorial. I love basket liners – they make baskets a little more dressed up and fun.

26. Camille says:

My baskets just got cooler. Thanks!

27. Sarah says:

Ah, I need to do this for my blanket basket!

28. Maria Bong says:

I love this tutorial on the liners for baskets. I have so many baskets for organizing and they desperately need covers!!!! Thank you so much.

29. Marissa Waldrop says:

I am so excited to try this, it is something I have wanted to do for awhile thanks

30. Angie Nelson says:

I so need to make one of these. By kids book basket liner still has easter bunnies on it. I just need to make my daughter’s Halloween costume first.

31. Rebecca says:

What a great idea! I need to try this!

32. Leslie Newton says:

Just love to make these. It turns a plain basket into a special holder for a gift or anything you have that needs to be “held”. So classy!

33. Cheryl says:

My daughter-in-law is learning how to sew and this is a project she wanted me to help with for the baby’s room. Now I have written instructions! I really like the tip about only needing elastic on the corners. Nicely done.

34. Erin says:

I have so many storage baskets that I use for toys and such around the house – this is such a great tutorial for lining them! Thanks!

35. Nancy says:

I made one!! I added a pocket for my daughters checkbook and it turned out great. See a photo on my blog….

36. Kerri says:

This is great! I needed instructions on how to do this. I’ve tried it on my own but without success.

37. Jeni says:

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

38. Christine says:

I’ve got several baskets that are begging for a liner – this is the perfect tutorial for me! Thanks for sharing your expertise!
    Christine

39. Karie says:

AWESOME!! thanks for the directions to make new fabric liners for baskets!! I have so many baskets that could use a new liner…

40. Monica gee says:

This is such a good idea! What a great way to dress up a basket for the home or as a gift!

41. Tanja says:

Thank you for this tute. I’ll be using it to line the baskets I use for shopping, and the one I use for my knitting. Maybe I’l even get a sewing basket for my handsewing projects just so I can line another one. Thanks again for such an easy to follow project.

42. Jo says:

What a wonderful idea! I’d better get sewing!

43. Victoria says:

I have been wanting to do this! It will be so much easier now that I have tutorial! Thanks!

44. Beth says:

I need to make about 20 of these. Great idea.

45. Adrienne says:

I can totally see myself using this to fancy up the plain box we use to hold keys and wallets. Thanks!!

46. Linda says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial. What a way to dress up otherwise boring storage.

47. Debbie White says:

I love baskets and I looooove basket liners! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I would really like to have liners for all of my baskets for every season and to co-ordinate with all of my rooms. Whew -wee, I’d better get started working on them, lol!

48. Lavinia says:

Thanks for this tutorial! I love it

49. BethieB says:

I am so excited to see this! I love buying things at the dollar store and at thrift stores to use for storage, but they never match each other or my room either. Now I can have fully functioning storage that also looks good!! Well, as soon as I make the time to sit down and do this, that is. Thanks for the help and inspiration!

50. This is great! Thank you for the clear tutorial. I’m going to make these for Christmas gift baskets.

51. Mary Jo says:

Great post! I must try it on some of my baskets so I don’t have my clothing pulled on because of the weaves.

52. froghair says:

this is great — elastic in the corners is a stroke of genius!

53. Allyson says:

I love this! I have been trying to figure out how to alter my daughter’s baskets, and this helps. Thanks!

54. Jill says:

This project has been on my long to do list for about a year, but I really never got around to figuring out how to do it. Thanks for the great tutorial. Now, I just have to pick out the fabrics (the best part).

55. Melissa says:

Thanks for sharing! I could do this pretty quick to make things “go” together in my kids room!

56. mikawendy says:

Thanks for this tutorial–I have a whole slew of unlined baskets that would be more useful with a lining.

57. cici says:

love this. the elastic is very clever and a great alternative to a casing/ribbon/whatever.

58. natalie abarca says:

thanks for this tutorial! i need to redo my baskets for my new sewing room and this is perfect!

59. Nice! Great ideas to put into my thinking cap! I’ve got a few of those baskets laying around upstairs! I could change the fabrics for the holidays…..neat!

60. Thanks for the tutorial. I have always wanted to learn to make those!

61. Kristine says:

Teresa,

Thanks for trying out the tutorial! I have had that same thing happen where the liner is snug around the top even without the elastic. Like you said, one less step, and I’ve seen them both ways even in the stores–some with elastic, some without! I would love to see a picture of your basket liner if you’d like to send it to limabeanhome [at] gmail dot com. I’m so pleased that you were able to follow the tutorial. What a great blog this is!

And to everyone else–thanks for the great comments.

62. Kelsey says:

This is so helpful! I always see cute baskets, but am skeptical of using them.
    Now I know how to make good liners!
    Thanks so much!

63. Terri says:

I use these baskets to store extension cords and charger cords, and hats and mittens in winter. This is a good way to customize my plain basket liners. Thanks for making it look to easy!

64. Stacey Clay says:

Those are such a good idea – would make great Christmas gifts… They could easily be matched to any recipient’s home decor.

65. Teresa says:

I made one!!! Great tutorial. Mine was a little snug around the top so I didn’t need the elastic. Not sure why but oh well. One less step.

66. Baba says:

Great Easy Sew Project! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

67. Christine Bolin says:

Great tutorial. With Christmas coming up, I can think of a few people who would appreciate a basket.

68. Michele says:

Fabulous! I’ve been wanting to try something like this out for the baskets that I have on closet shelves.

69. Natalie says:

A beautiful transformation, and so versatile! Thank you for a great tutorial.

70. Kim Unertl says:

I just bought a new basket this weekend that definitely needs a liner – thanks for the tutorial!

71. tabitha says:

I love it! I like using baskets for storage but haven’t bought any because I didn’t care for the fabric that was used. Now I can make my own.