Sewing for the Home ~ Hanging Bed Organizer

on September 19 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 269 Comments

Amanda shares how to make this simple and effective hanging bed organizer. Be sure to check out Amanda’s intro and (very fun) Kiddio blog too!

I love my bed. It’s soft, it’s cozy, but all too often it’s cluttered with the book I’ve been reading, my eyeglasses, my notepad and pen… With no bedside table I was without good place to manage these necessities (save the floor which is, in fact, not a good place to store your glasses) until the birth of the Hanging Bed Organizer.

It slips between the mattress and box spring to hold the little things you need to keep close, and thanks to a clever strip of non-skid rug pad or rubberized drawer liner it won’t be pulled out by the weight of even the heaviest books.

You Need:

• 2/3 yard of a single fabric: I used a vintage sheet; calico or lightweight upholstery fabric is also great
  • 3 1/2 yards double-fold seam binding
  • a 20″ x 10″ strip non-skid rug pad or rubberized drawer liner
  • thread to match seam binding
  • about half an hour (with three little ones I have to include that in my calculations!)

Process:

Cut a 20″ wide by 48″ long strip of of your fabric.

Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together. Stitch across the short side to make a loop, the turn right side out and lay it flat. Press folded ends (you know you want to skip this, but don’t–it makes it infinitely easier to stitch the seam binding on). Finish one folded edge with double-fold seam binding.

Fold the bound edge up by 8″ to make a pocket, then trim the bottom corners of the pocket off into a quarter-round (not too much, you just want to avoid having to deal with stitching the seam binding around a corner).

Cut a 9″ length of seam binding. Slip one cut edge under the binding on the pocket edge and stitch it vertically onto the front as a divider to form two pockets. Trim excess. You’re almost done!

Use the remaining single length of seam binding to finish the two long sides and the bottom, following the rounded corners. See how easy this is with those rounded corners? Trim excess seam binding and reserve.

Make a sandwich with either the rest of your seam binding or a strip of scrap fabric on top, the 20″ by 10″ strip of rubberized shelf liner/non-skid rug pad in the middle, and the top edge of the organizer on the bottom (the seam binding keeps the shelf liner from sticking to your presser foot). This is the trick…it keeps the pocket from sliding out from between the mattress when you slip in a couple of books (hey, it’s only a good idea if it works!).

Slip it between your mattress and box spring and load it up!

269 Responses to Sewing for the Home ~ Hanging Bed Organizer

1. Faye says:

i am going to make one of these for my son! he loves to read his books and now he will have a place to put a few for easy reach, and a place to put his sock monkey! thanks

2. Joy Young says:

The only thing I might add here is a piece o hook & loop tape. Smooth side on the pocket organizer itself & the “sticky” side onto the box spring in the place I would like it to stay once fitting it to my liking. That way it is easily removed for washing & a no-brainer for putting back in my favorite spot! Also adds stability for heavier items.

3. Brenda C. says:

Love it,
    Thinking about making the pockets smaller,
    and placing it under the sewing machine to hold gadgets, scissors, seam ripper, etc.
    Brenda in Texas

4. katie lynne says:

This is so cool! I’ve got to make one of these–what a super idea! Thank you for putting this up. Big hug to you! :o) kl in astoria, oregon

5. Thanks, some interesting stuff to read here. But i’m having some problems using Opera Browser. Is it only me?

6. This is a great idea for kids at summer camp and in dorms…Can’t wait to give it a try…

7. Anyone who reads would love this for their bed, i am going to try this weekend, thanks for the great tip.

8. T2 says:

I just made this and love it. I like to read thick novels and that first night I kept expecting to hear the case and books slip down onto the floor, but it never happened. I will certainly be making more, though I think I’ll hand-sew the drawer liner on next time. I had no problem getting it through the sewing apparatus thanks to your tips, but the extra length kept sticking to my sewing machine and table!

Thanks for sharing this great pattern.

9. Thank you Amanda for sharing with us how to make this simple and effective hanging bed organizer.

10. Stephanie says:

This is fabulous! My kid is forever piling things in her bed, and this will be perfect. I think I’ll make it for Christmas and include a new glasses case, a few books, and a journal/pen… probably many made from the ideas on this website! Thank you!

11. Jennifer B says:

I’m so making these for Christmas presents!!

12. peggyann says:

Yup, I usually just toss the mag on the floor. Great Idea.

13. alicia says:

I just love this idea. I bought my non-skid rug pad last night. I’m going to make one for both sides of the bed. Now my husband can quit complaining that I *only* make things for myself :) Thanks so much for the idea, I love creative solutions to everyday problems. A+!

14. kristine hanson says:

CUTE!

15. Gail says:

I have made one of these before, but the non skid rug trick is so smart! Thank you.

16. maryellen says:

I love this. I have a portable CD player, Howard’s End on audio cassette, a pack of kleenex, a library book, and a book light UNDER MY PILLOW right now. Yikes. I’m ready to make this project! I actually own this pink flowered sheet! Thanks for the tutorial!

17. charm says:

This is great! I dont have a bedside table and I’m always looking for my glasses or water bottle! Thanks for the tutorial.

18. Violet says:

This is a great idea to organize all those things on the floor next to my bed.
    -violet

19. Hayley says:

Stinkin’ cute idea. So much better then stacking all my crafty library books on the nightstand.

20. Lisa says:

Thanks for this great idea! With Spring just starting here in Australia, I have been busy spring cleaning the house and getting all the odds & ends around the house organised. This is just what I need to house the extra things that accumulate on my bedside table!

21. Trish James says:

Simply fantastic! Such a clever lady to think it up! I am so greatful for the idea, i’m always sewing for everybody else but this one is for me! Oh and maybe one for my mum and one for my sis……………..

22. SarahHales says:

I love this idea! I’m new to sewing and am going to love trying my hand at this. Thanks :)

23. Jenn says:

Great idea..i might be able to see to top of my little bedside again, with one of these..

24. suzanne says:

…gonna try it. Wish me luck.

25. Amy Ragland says:

So cute! I’d love to make one for my daughter’s bed!

26. Christina says:

Love this idea! Now I just need to get around to making it…

27. Robyn Kirk says:

Amanda you can have no idea how this organiser could possibly save a marriage. I am get really fed up with the mess accumulating on my DH side of the bed. Now – I am ‘mistress no wife – nag-no-more’. Thanks.
    RobynK. New Zealand

28. Liz says:

This makes me regret buying one, although I had lots of fun decorating that plain canvas with puffy fabric paint.
    I like the idea of the rubberized mat as an anchor! The one I bought only has a sheer panel of fabric to tuck between the mattress and the box spring. Go figure, it slipped.

29. Alice says:

This is super! Just right for Christmas sewing!

30. Brynn says:

I am going to make these for my Grandmas for Christmas, great tutorial. Thanks!

31. Kimberly North says:

Love this. Great idea for my daughters bed, I won’t have to hear books hitting the floor during the night anymore.

32. Janna says:

I can’t wait to make one of these for my bedside.

33. mommymae says:

i don’t think i can wait for the holidays to make this!!

34. CIndie says:

I love this. The tutorial looks so easy and it is definitey something that I will make for my side of the bed as well as my hubby’s.

35. sulafaye says:

What a great idea! I think I know what I’m doing for Christmas presents this year now!!

36. orata says:

what a great idea for those of us without bedside tables!

37. kashoan says:

This turned out great. Thanks for all the helpful pictures! Kashoan

38. Blayne says:

i need one of these!

39. Alisa says:

Very nice idea.

40. Wendy says:

Love it! Seeing 15 cents as a price on your vintage bias tape just thrills my soul.

41. Collins says:

Great tutorial! I can’t wait to make a few of these.

42. Jenn Jones says:

So cute! I’ve got to try this!

43. Becci says:

This is a wonderful idea! When I was in college, my bedskirt had pockets built right it. It was great to keep a flashlight, my orthodontic retainer, a paperback and my glasses in. Especially since I was so limitied on space (I lived in the dorms!).

44. Ali says:

Great idea!

45. Danetta says:

I love this idea and it looks very easy to make. Thanks, it’s on my list of things to do now…

46. Jennifer says:

I love this idea :)

47. Lauren V says:

This is a great idea, and since we don’t have the room for end tables, I will surely need one for both my husband and I! Thanks!

48. Gigi says:

Very nice idea. I’ve been meaning to make one of these for a long time. Love the rug gripper thingy. I have all the necessary ingredients (oops a cooking ref) and this would make a good addition for a guest room.

49. Missie says:

This is one of my favorite ideas this month! Who doesn’t have too much stuff on their nightstand?! What a great place for books, remotes….whatever! I’m hoping to make a few of these for Christmas gifts!! Thanks for great ideas!!

50. Steph says:

Seems simple enough! Might be good in a place like an RV where there isn’t much room.

51. Julie Andrea says:

Hello, I was reading “Puzzled” comments, and “Amy”‘s too. Ouch, LOL, thanks for posting this BEFORE I start cutting. :-)

52. Kim says:

Great idea to use the rubberized shelf liner. Gonna make me one {or many} ! :) K

53. Amber says:

I have been meaning to make one of these – this is great tutorial too!

54. Tina says:

I’ve always wanted to make one of these. Thanks for the tutorial!

55. Tracy says:

I’ve been wanting to make one of these forEVer! Thanks for the nudge!!

56. Melissa says:

super smart!

57. Liz J says:

This would be good for a top bunk bed due to no bedside table option.

58. Amy says:

I just made this project and have a couple of comments. The earlier poster was correct when she said you could not cut a 20 by 48 inch piece from 2/3 yd. of lightweight cotton. You would need home dec. fabric. I went ahead and used the calico that I bought and made a shorter one which is still fine for my children’s picture books though. Additionally, it should be noted that this pattern does not work well for one way patterns. Since you flip the bottom up to create the pocket, the fabric has to look good both up and down and just be a random pattern. I still like the idea and it seems to stay on the bed pretty well but sags a lot with the weight of a couple of picture books. I am thinking it might be more successful in home dec. material and would also work with the measurements that way.

59. Wendy says:

My daughter is jumping up and down with excitement. She wants me to tell you that she has a pillowcase in this same fabric. (I have a bit of a thrifted sheet addiction.) Fantastic idea and great tutorial!

60. Puzzled says:

This is a good idea, but there are some serious flaws to this tutorial. It’s confusing and needs to be broken down into more steps in order to be more clear. But the first big problem is that it calls for 2/3 yard of fabric, but then asks that you cut a 20×48 inch strip. A yard is 36 inches long, so it isn’t possible to get a 48 inch strip out of 2/3 yard… or even 1 yard. Home decorator fabric is a little longer salvage-to-salvage wise, so maybe that would work (I’m working with quilting cotton).

Also, assuming you have the right fabric dimensions, once you get the fabric folded in half, stitched and then create an 8 inch pocket, you don’t have enough room to place the 10×20 inch non-slip pad. By my calculations, with an 8 inch pocket, you have 7 inches of material remaining above the pocket.

This was kind of a bummer. Most of the tutorials I’ve tried from this site have been pretty good.

61. Terriaw says:

This is a clever design! I love the use of a non-skid rug pad to keep the organizer in place. You make it look so simple to make.

62. Erin says:

My daughter NEEDS this. Can’t wait to try it out, thanks.

63. I thought I was the only one who totally filled my bed with books, crochet hooks, yarn, fabrics and patterns galore! This is a very neat idea. Thanks for sharing!

64. Amanda says:

Wow, what a great idea! I never could have thought up something this creative!

65. Carla says:

Great pattern. It will be wonderful for my husbands side of the bed so he doesn’t lose his book and remote control.

66. Helen says:

This is such a fabulous idea! No more having to leave things lying around on the floor.

67. I can’t wait to make this. I need this. My nightstand is overflowing already with books I am reading, waiting to read and have already read! Thanks for sharing!

68. Sherry says:

I love this fabric! I think I need to make my husband one… in a more manly fabric of course.

69. tabitha says:

I need to make this! I have a pile of books next to my bed along with several journals and pens. With this I’d even be able to keep a flashlight in it for when I need to write but don’t want to wake up my husband.

70. Joanna says:

I have been wanting to make one of these for my mom. Thanks for the tutorial!

71. KYouell says:

I would love to try making this with a free yard of fabric!

72. Jen says:

What a great idea!

73. Margie says:

this is great, can’t wait to try it.

74. Lisa Bpuer says:

Lovely! What a great idea!

75. Laura says:

Been wanting to make some of these for the kiddos–thanks for the great tutorial!

76. Concha says:

This makes such a great gift! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

77. Megan says:

Hey – I recognize Amanda from the HM group here in Denver. Love your kiddio blog too. Sheesh – you’re talented. Thanks for sharing the idea. I’m going to try one for my daughter. We’re moving her to a “big girl bed” soon and this would be perfect for books, a sippy cup – love it!

78. Angela N says:

This is great for my guest room, which does not have space for a night stand. Thanks!

79. Jerilyn says:

Fun and clever!!!! I need some help now with my bedskirts…they always tear away from the liner. If you are ever looking for more ideas to help us with, bedskirts could be next. :)

Thanks

80. CC says:

I love this project – my other half will be keen for me to make it!! thanks for the ideas

81. Christina says:

Love the idea of using the no-slip padding….now to find a way to make this work on a platform bed with side rails…

82. Katrin says:

I absolutly need one of the things!
    The last two nights I sleept with my book under the pillow – not very nice ;-)

83. Cheryl says:

I have seen these for sale at different places But I really Like the idea of useing /recycleing sheets to make them . Another add to my things to make list .. thanks for the TUT
    Cheryl

84. Rachel says:

That’s pretty nifty, I’ll definitly add that to the list.

85. UmmAdam says:

I HAD to respond to this just to let you know that i had those VERY SAME SHEETS that you created this with! Thanks for the quick visit back to my childhood :) — I even called my mom (now 60) into the room to look at the pics LOL!!

86. Ane says:

Great idea for all of us with tiny bedrooms and no room for bedside tables. I might have to make a couple og these, one for each side of the bed.

87. Love this idea! You don’t have to worry about fit!!

88. Lori says:

I really need one of these for my bed, they would also make great x-mas gifts. I might even try to make it longer to fit on the end of my couch that doesn’t have room for a table next to it. Thanks for the idea!

89. Rane Ueda says:

Just made this for my DD room she loves it. And it keeps her on the
    bed and the stuff out!! Thanks a million!!!!

90. Mari Virtanen says:

That could solve the chaoes under our bed. Thanks for the great idea!

91. Anneka says:

This is such a lovely idea! I recently moved and have no bed-side table yet so this will be perfect for my things :) Thank you

92. Angie H. says:

Wow! I love this idea. I have been scouring our shops to find vintage linens….not much luck. I live in a small town and I’m being beaten to the punch! Esty, anyone?

93. Kathy A says:

Thank you for sharing this Project…. I love it! Will make some nice Christmas gifts.

94. jean says:

this is perfect!

95. Lori says:

I might make one of these when I have my next baby! It would be perfect for holding burpcloths and breast pads!

96. Debra says:

That is really cute. I think I will modify it to fit on my toddlers bed so she has her treasures close by!

97. Andria says:

What a great Christmas gift idea!

98. Tina M. says:

Lovely! What a great idea :)

99. Stacy says:

This is a really neat idea! I think this would make a nice Christmas gift.

100. Lee-Ann says:

Great idea! Perfect for my daughter’s room. I’ll be sure to give it a try! thanks-

101. Esther says:

Great idea!
    Esther

102. oblinaknit says:

I love it – however I think my cats may have other plans for it!

103. Jen says:

that is a cool little project- and I have the perfect fabric! Leftovers from making all the pillow covers for my bed…Thanks!

104. aimee says:

sweet sweet idea! And all those new fabrics are killing me! I need to win the lottery :)

105. MelissaB says:

What a useful item to have – great for storing away those things that always fall off the nightstand!

106. EmmyLizzy says:

Great idea-i’m totally going to do this tomorrow!

107. Kyla says:

I’m going to add this to my list of things to make for Christmas presents this year.

108. Lynne in NC says:

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Peace,
    Lynne in NC

109. Lynn says:

I made something similar for each of my nieces and nephews one year for Christmas. They love them.

110. anna says:

This is one of those things that i didn’t realize that I can’t live without.

111. Amy Reed says:

LOVE this idea – so simple… going to work on this next week for sure. One for my 8-year old daughter, too. She loves to read and has her bed full of books most of the time. thanx for posting!

112. Terri says:

What a great tutorial. I have looked at several, trying to figure out how to go about making one, and yours seems the clearest. Also I like the idea of using the non-slip rubber. My husband saw me looking at it on the screen and wants one for HIS side of the bed! Guess I’ll have to make two!

113. erin says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I love your site. And, I LOVE the free fabric giveaways!!

114. Beth G. says:

Awesome idea! I need one of these really bad. Love the cute fabric!!!

115. Dorte says:

Oh, that is truly inspired… I did not know it, but I NEED one of these! Thanks for doing up the tutorial!

116. Sharee says:

I’ll be making one of these for sure! Very cute and useful!

117. Jessica says:

Great idea! I love it. Can’t wait to make one!

118. alison says:

Fabulous! Exactly what I need to declutter my bedroom. Can’t believe I’ve never thought of something like this before.

119. This is so easy and fast! My kind of tut.

120. Stacy Gibbs says:

What a great idea! That would be a great Christmas gift for my mother! I may have to put this down on my list! Thanks so much for sharing!

121. Susie says:

love this! I tried to make one, but mine didn’t turn out as nice. I’ll have to try this.

122. Pattie says:

I found you via Craft. I had to come comment because the fabric you used is a set of sheets my parents had when I was growing up! That’s such a great way to repurpose things! I may still have some old sheets of my parents, what a great idea instead of storing it all in a box somewhere or throwing it away.

123. Anne says:

\wonderful tutorial … I think I need two of these, one for both sides :)

124. Christine Bolin says:

I need one of these. Thank you.

125. Berta says:

What a blast from the past! I used to have those sheets…but they wore out from frequent use. Great tutorial.

126. Erin K says:

This is brilliant! I really love this idea and can’t wait to make one.

127. Sara says:

Brilliant! I can’t wait to make one for myself.

128. BethieB says:

I love this, but more importantly, my daughter does too, which means she may actually use it! Can’t wait to get started on this one, thanks for taking the time to write such a great tut!

129. Cindy says:

What a great project! Thanks.

130. Blayne says:

This is a fantastic tutorial! Thanks for sharing :)

131. Chris S. says:

Thank you for this! I’m so tired of my book and other bed items getting stuck with dust bunnies. I’m going to make one for my son too. He’s 4 years old and I think it would be so fun for him to have his “stuff” close by at bedtime.

132. Ramona says:

This is great! I am going to make one for each of my college age daughters. They will be perfect for dorm rooms. Thanks!

133. amelia dofelmier says:

What a good idea. Now maybe I wont lose the remote.

134. Regina says:

My Munchkin is getting ready to make the transition to a twin bed from the toddler bed -this would be such a great thing for his bedtime books.

135. Rachel says:

This would be great for my kid’s beds! Thanks for the inspiration and great tutorial!

136. margaret says:

very clever idea! I need one to hold the many quilt mags I read at bedtime :-)

137. Ellen says:

138. upstatelisa says:

I need to make one for each side of our bed! great idea!!!!

139. brittany says:

how clever! i could see getting some good use out of this!

140. Meg says:

I have been thinking about one of these for a long time. My husband loves to read in bed but our room is too small for a nightstand on his side. I am SO happy to see a tutorial so I can make one. I wasn’t really sure how to go about it. Thank you!

141. Chase says:

Cute! I need one of those!

142. MJ says:

Yes actually I do need that organizer, never even occured to me to do something like that.

143. The non-skid liner is brilliant! I also like using that stuff when I make purse straps. Some of it is black and brown, and looks almost like a woven material. Out of context it doesn’t look like just shelf liner.

144. Somer says:

This is super cute. What a great gift idea for Christmas, just add book.

145. Georgia says:

Oh my husband HATES it when I clutter up the night stand! This is so clever!

146. mikawendy says:

What a fabulous idea! These would be great for a couch or ottoman, too–could hold a bunch of remote controls, TV guide, etc.

147. Sharon Mausey says:

Great Tutorial! I’m posting here for the Free Fabric Friday. It mentioned that we were to post on a Sewing for the Home comment, so here I am! Love, love, love, the new fabric……I have also enjoyed the tutorials from all month. Each one has had something for everyone. It’s so nice to see so many people sharing their knowledge and skill to help others. Wish we had had this kind of thing 25 years or so ago when I was teaching myself to sew. I lived for “Sewing with Nancy” once a week on PBS. Now we have online tutes and detailed instructions any time day or night. Wow!!!! Hey, wish me luck on the fabric give away….you really can never have too much…I’m just say’n

148. Megan says:

Amanda, what a great project. I have an old bedsheet just dying to become an organizer! Thanks for the tutorial.

149. Anary says:

I think this organizer is so cute and practical…but I think I would have to ‘supersize’ it for me…I got everything but the kitchen sick next to my bed side. HAHHA.

150. mommymae says:

This is exactly what I need to make for my daughters.

151. momawake says:

I love this idea! I’ll have to give it a go.

152. shannon says:

This is so cute! and looks so easy too. I have got to make a set of these for our bed.

153. Jo Anna Mollman says:

This is a great pattern. I think I will be making one of these soon so I can move the pile off the floor by the bed!

154. Mare says:

My mattress eats my remote and glasses! This is an awesome project to stop Mr. Bed from his naughty habits! LOL I can’t wait to make it!

155. Annell says:

I love this! Just what I’ve been looking for.

156. Sue says:

Wow what a great idea, I am going to make one of these today for my couch so I can put all my sewing nits in it while I watch t.v.
    thanks for the tute!
    *Ü*

157. Rachel says:

This looks quite handy. I drew the short straw and sleep next to the wall. This might make up for my lack of a nightstand.

158. Shelly says:

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

159. Maggie says:

I love this project and Amanda’s website is great! It is now in my bookmarks.

160. Serena says:

What a cute organizer! This would make a great birthday gift for my husband’s grandma. Thank you for the inspiration!

161. Marissa Waldrop says:

This is cute and I think it will help control all the books next to the bed.

162. Amy says:

What an awesome idea. I definitely need to make one of these, and a vintage sheet is perfect for the project. Your addition of the non-slip rug pad is brilliant. Thank you for sharing!

163. Angela says:

I’ve been wanting to make some of these for a while. I should get started this weekend!

164. Allie says:

OH MY. I have the same sheets – thrifted them, and made a cat bed. Love this organizer, can’t wait to try it!

165. Kimberley Carlson says:

Way cool! I think I need to make one of these!

And I could really use some free fabric too! : )

Kim

166. Christy S. says:

I’m definitely going to have to make one of these. Hopefully my dog won’t think it’s a treat station

167. JoAnn says:

Great idea! Perfect place to store the remote and a trashy novel! Can’t wait to make this!

168. Tammy says:

This is great! Very useful and would make for a great gift!

169. Letti says:

I read a lot in bed and always cannot find my books, cause someone else is reading. This hangisg bed organizer will help me keep my books in one place where I can find them. Gread job. Great holidays gifts.

170. Crisanne says:

My daughter would love this! I think I’ll add it to the Christmas list.

171. Pamela says:

What a nifty idea! Thanks for sharing. Adding to my holiday-gifts-to-make list. :)

172. Amy S. says:

Just had to share, I have the same vintage sheet and made the vintage Smock this summer with the sew along tutorial! Such cool old fabric :)

173. Nancy says:

These would make wonderful Christmas gifts.

Nancy

174. angela says:

Awesome Idea! My husband and I could each use one.

175. ArianaSilver says:

That’s absolute genius! I can think of a few reader’s on my Christmas list I could make one of these for.

176. Jeannine says:

Great tutorial, I may need to make one of these for my son’s books (and flashlight)

177. ratty says:

that rug pad/drawer liner tip is MARVELOUS! i have a beautiful, embroidered, vintage pillowcase that i’ve been meaning to make into a bed organizer but i was stumped as to how i was going to keep it from slipping… THANK YOU for this great idea!

178. Kandy Wesley says:

Wow, what a great idea. My daughter (18 months) has slept in our bed since the day she was born, and the bed also serves as our diaper changing station. I have a stack of diapers and wipes on my nightstand, but this looks like a great alternative! It will really add to the decluttered look I am struggling to acheive! Thanks for the idea.

179. Caitlin says:

I love this idea! I always have so many little things that I wish I had a place for right by the bed and this would be perfect!

180. Camille says:

Yes. I NEED this bed organizer. Thank you for the tutorial!

181. Teresa says:

Just what I needed for my daughter, who is always reading in bed. Thanks

182. monica says:

so cute! thank you!

183. Angie says:

I’ve seen something like this before and keep thinking I should make one, even though I do have a nightstand!

184. Jen says:

Clever idea! This will be great for the kids’ beds!

185. Amy says:

I am definitely making this for my son’s bed. He always has books in bed and sometimes in the middle of the night they will slide off and land with a thud on the wood floor. He will love this! It’s a great Christmas present idea!!

186. Christina says:

I love this, it’s so simple, yet so functional! I hope to make one soon. First I have to finish the projects I’ve already started. :)

187. Wendy says:

This looks like a fun project.

188. jen phifer says:

i DO need this organizer! too cute!

189. Lisa says:

OH MY GOODNESS. That fabric print was the same fabric on one of my mom’s pillowcases. That really takes me back to a comforting time in life. THANK YOU! I will have to make one of these. What a handy thing for remotes, books, mags… all those clutter my floor by my bed. I love your ideas. Keep them coming!

190. Jami Lunn says:

My daughter would love one-so cute!

191. Sara R. says:

Ooh, I need to make this!

192. leslie says:

i love this. It would be so great for me but would make a awesome gift

193. Nicole says:

Gosh, I’ve been thinking about making this, and one for the sofa (tv remotes) for ages. The non slip pad is a genius idea!

194. Meghan says:

This is wonderful! I wonder if I could make one large enough for the entire bookshelf worth of books that sometimes end up piled next to my bed…

195. Aunt Jo says:

Great instructions! This is definitely on my to-make list.

196. Kate says:

What a great idea to keep my book from disappearing under the bed!

197. Adrienne says:

I have been meaning to make one of these! Thanks for the tute!

198. Jeanne says:

Now that’s a great idea. No more stepping over the stuff on the floor cause it would have a proper place.

199. Liana says:

omg! I need that! (betcha haven’t heard THAT yet today! lol)

200. DeerDominique says:

I do need this! How did you know? I think it will help me engineer a similar type thing for the arms of a chair for all the ‘relaxing in a chair essentials.’
    Thanks so much!

201. Meilnda says:

This is genius! I may make one for my couch!!! What a perfect idea!!!

202. Sue Cahill says:

I love this organizer, it will be perfect as a Christmas gift for several people and I think I’ll make a bunch for my quilt guild bazaar.

203. Jenni says:

Such an easy and practical item! The funny think is, I have that very same bedsheet in greens:)

204. Charli says:

I’ve been wondering how to make one of these for my daughter who so desperately needs one. She thinks she needs a bajillion things in order to fall sleep.

205. Lori says:

What a handy little idea! I know a couple of kids around here who could use something like that.

206. Tamara Schroeder says:

Great idea! Love it!

207. Rochelle says:

Great idea. Can’t wait to get some sewing machine time and make one for each of the kids.

208. wow – this is a great idea for dorm rooms!

209. Frogdancer says:

What an excellent idea. I would never have thought of this.
    (But hey! They say all genius-y ideas look simple AFTER someone has thought of them.)
    I’ll be giving this a go!

210. Jessica says:

I DO need one of these. What a great idea I would have never though of! Thank yoU!

211. Clara E says:

This is a good idea. My sidetable is overflowing and I could use a place to put my books.

212. Jodie says:

Oh wow, this is such a cool idea… particularly since I am so short sighted to find my glasses when they are not on my face. Going to try this on the weekend.

213. tammie says:

what a great project! thanks!

214. Tammy says:

Wow – looks like a quick and easy project! :)

215. B says:

Perfect solution to my bedroom organization, er, chaos.

216. Brittney says:

I just love this idea, my bedside is always clogged with books, pencils, the remote, my iPod. This is the perfect little catch-all, but I think mine will need more pockets! Thanks for the tutorial.

217. Lisa says:

My nightstand would look so much nicer if I had something like this on the bed. Just might have to whip one up.

218. Sunny says:

I always get all of my ideas as my mind wanders right before bed. This will be perfect for storing a sketchbook and pencil to jot down my usually ridiculous ideas, so that I don’t forget them in the morning. Thanks for such a clear and easy tutorial. I benefit from those tremendously. :)

219. jennie says:

What a cute idea! It would also be super sweet in the paper dolls fabrics for my daughters’ room! Maybe I’ll win in FFF and use my winnings to try out this tutorial. Wish me luck!

220. alicia says:

I just love this idea!!! I wish I had time to sew this weekend! I think I’m going to make two, one for each side of the bed so our night stands aren’t so crowded! Excellent job!

221. julia ward says:

What a wonderful project. I don’t sleep much (www.ablindingheart.com) and this would be perfect for those tossing-and-turning-can’t-sleep-nights. I just picked up a book called 1,001 Mediatations. Looks like a perfect fit. A good book, a cup of silence, and something to keep them in.

blessnigs,
    julia

222. Michele says:

Great tutorial! We so need one of these in our bedroom!

223. Mollye says:

This would be so cool in a minimalist calvin klein bedding style. Might just have to whip one up!

224. nettie says:

this would be so useful in my daughters bed…it looks pretty easy to make. thanks for a great tutorial.

225. Linda says:

What a great idea! Perhaps then the remote control wouldn’t disappear quite so easily.

Thank you for sharing!

226. Ali says:

This will come in very handy – especially because I usually leave my book on my headboard and recently my cat has taken to pushing it off at night! Hardcovers can hurt!

227. Joanna says:

Now that is a reallllly good idea. Don’t know why I haven’t thought of it before! I must make one of those suckers!!

228. bec says:

what a good, clever idea! i am always afraid of stepping on my glasses. Thank you!

229. Katie says:

My journal, pen, current book and whatever else are always lying around. this is a good idea.

230. Victoria says:

What a great idea!

231. Cassie says:

This has just solved a big problem for me! I can’t wait to make one and pick up all my tid-bits from the floor beside the bed :D Thanks a ton for the tutorial… and my husband is sure to thank you too!!

232. Noa says:

I definitely need (WANT!) one of these: pretty AND useful!

233. Jana McCraine says:

What a cute idea! Thank you!

234. alissa says:

hi, i stumbled upon your blog the other day quite by accident but i am so glad i did!

i am new to sewing (really new), but i am inspired by all the creative ideas and fabric on your site!

these bed organizers are great, and i think i will make one. :)

alissa

235. Dawn says:

I have been wanting to make one of these. Thank you for the tutorial and the nudge to get going on it!
    Dawn @ (4:53am)

236. Hashi says:

Love the addition of the non-slip drawer liner. Yeah!

237. Stacy says:

Wow, this is great idea! We like to keep clutter off of our nightstands and this would be a great way to keep my notepad, pens, etc close at hand for my midnight inspirations and still keep the nightstand free and clear. Wonderful – thanks for sharing!

238. Diane says:

I’d like to make this, but I do not understand some of the directions. I am an experienced seamstress, but I’m puzzled. The beginning steps especially. folded ends? do you mean folded side?

239. Jackie says:

This is such a great idea and so useful! Thank you for the great instructions. I have so many ideas for this one and what a great gift!

240. annie says:

Thanks for the cute idea…a must in my book. You should see my side of the bed….well, maybe you shouldn’t!!!! Again thanks for the darling tutorial. XXX Annie

241. Tanya says:

Great tute. I love that it doesn’t take yards and yards of fabric!

242. Jodie says:

I love this idea and I think many people I know may be getting one for Christmas! :-)

243. Renee says:

p.s. Do I spy a Pfaff? I

244. Renee says:

So cute! I can see myself adding another 1/2 hour to the calculations for choosing the perfect fabric!!!!

245. Aunt LoLo says:

Ooh…this would be perfect for my invalid grandma…or a sick child!

246. Samantha says:

What a great idea! I think I’ll have to add it to my to-do list for the weekend!

247. Lisa C says:

Never mind the kids, this is something I could really use! I’m a big reader in bed, plus have my lotions, remote, glasses, etc…that I would love to make this for me…okay, some for the kids, too. Thanks for a really clear tutorial.

248. Nikki says:

How cute is that? I love it!

249. Emily says:

I love this idea. I have a similar tutorial in a book, but I’m thinking l like this one better. Bookmarked for sure. Thanks!

250. Lynn says:

CUTE! I love the fabric you used!

251. Just Susan says:

Excellent idea. Time to organize both sides of our bed and the kids too. Thanks! ~Susan

252. Juli says:

This is a great idea… and would make a nice gift for anyone!

253. Morgan says:

Very clever! I’m going to have to try this one!

254. Linda Gilbraith says:

What a lovely simple project. I can imagine them with all sorts of fun fabric! Thank you for the tutorial.

255. micki says:

i love this idea!

256. What a simple yet brilliant idea!

257. Chassie says:

Great tutorial! I’m gonna add it to my project list :0)

258. Sara McClure says:

Well, isn’t that a clever project! I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of the women here!

259. Emily says:

Love this – and it seems so much easier than the ones I’ve seen that stretch under the entire mattress and work for both sides. Two of these would save me the effort of getting the mattress and box spring up too… THANKS!

260. kristine hanson says:

so clever!! might have to make matching ones for me and my hubbie!!

261. Bena says:

Perfect for kids’ bed too- they need something to fit their books, little toys and a sippy cup of water. Thanks for a great tutorial!

262. Andrea Methvin says:

I’ve seen these before and been tempted to try it-and these instructions seem so easy! One of those new fabrics in the shop would be just lovely to make one with. And, I agree with Sarah-hubby does need one too!

263. Lindsay says:

what a fantastic and simple idea – you see them all the time for armchairs to put your remote control in etc…..but why not in the bedroom too? My bedside table is buried under glasses of water, alarm clock, make-up bag, baby lotions and potions, tissues, pens, paper, needle and thread……….no wonder I can never find the remote!!!

264. Quick and simple project to make for the home. Thanks for the idea!

265. simone says:

Thanks! It’s só cute…

266. Kim Unertl says:

Great tutorial! I definitely need one of these!

267. Teresa says:

Wow, I love this! Very cute idea and very simple instructions. Thank you!

268. Sarah says:

love this– I think hubby and I both need one!

269. Cheyrl says:

I love this and will be making one for my side of the bed. Great to keep track of all the things that seem to wander off or never stay put. Thanks for sharing.