Holidays at Home

on December 17 | in Handmade Holidays | by | with 34 Comments

The fun keeps coming!… Check here for Holidays at Home submissions and don’t miss the growing Handmade Holidays photo pool.

reese dixon

Tresa has lots of holiday spirit! She writes, “I’m kind of a Christmas fanatic, and every year I try to add a new Christmas tree to the festivities. This year’s theme was snowfall. We got a flocked tree with a combination of different sized white lights and I’ve festooned the whole thing with snowflakes of every shape and size. This is a quilled paper snowflake I made that is the real show-stopper of the tree. The tutorial is available on my blog here. And then I have to have matching paper and gift tags, so I’ve developed a tutorial for a sewn paper gift tag that fits with my snowflake theme… I have a few more tutorials slated from this tree, and then next week I start introducing our newly revamped Family Traditions tree with even more tutorials to come.”

Sara writes, “I can’t blog about this project because it’s a gift, but it was so fun I think other readers would like to see it. My little ones and I made a shirt for Grandma featuring her “little deeries”– reindeer made from the footprints of her grandkids! Vintage buttons made for perfect eyes and noses. The photo doesn’t show it, but I added a little red bow to the antlers of the red-nosed deer, the only girl in the group. If anyone else wants to try this, all they need is a t-shirt and some fabric paint– I used Tulip Soft in a chocolate brown color. Have lots of sudsy water and towels nearby to help clean up the little toes!”

Craft Schmaft

Claire has a pattern to share with you. She says, “I created a little softie for my baby boy, Oscar, earlier this year called the Tag Monster. Oscar is obsessed with labels. You know those little tags that come on the side of clothing and products? Yep, he can’t get enough of them. Forget the toy with it’s flashing lights, noisy rattle, shiny fabric and bright colours, he wants the tag. So I came up with the idea of a tag monster. Following a few requests I’ve made the idea into a pattern and posted it on my blog. It’s a great gift and, depending on how many tags you want to sew on, quite speedy to make. All you need is some ribbon, scraps of fabric, felt and stuffing a you’re away. I actually used ribbon that I’d saved from flowers, christening and baby shower gifts which made the little monster even more special. The original Tag Monster is here and the pattern is here.”

Momtastic Stitchery

Tabitha writes, “Gifts don’t always come in off the shelves or even hand made, sometimes they are straight out of the past say oh 1.4 million years or so!” Tabitha’s written a series of holiday posts this year; find them all here.

Craft ‘n Bitch

SerahRose says that, in part to help with holiday craft prep, “I hosted my first Craft ‘n Bitch tonight. As part of my new Theatre Hiatus (which I’ve renamed “sabbatical” in my head) I’m going to be having my girlfriends over twice a month to sit around and make stuff while we chit chat… I’m super proud of these super cool bean bags and have been looking for ways to share the idea with people. I hope you like them too!” The bean bags are for her child for Christmas.

puking pastilles

Georgia says, “These snow globes really turned out horribly. I can’t talk my kids out of giving them to their teachers, though! Moral of the story: don’t use Super Glue. I think if I could do it over, I’d use a hot glue gun. But I have no scientific basis for thinking this would work better than Super Glue. Click in for some other fun ideas for inexpensive, but very nice, gifts for kids.”

Lucy’s Tales from Home

Lucy writes, “So, how to make yourself a little Christmas-y wreath. I love to have some real greens in my house at Christmas. For the smell, the look and the feel of it. If my living room could be carpeted with snow and still be warm and cozy, well, that would be perfection. First you gather some sticks. If you are lucky enough to have a little property or know someone that does you can find all that you need free. (Or steal what you need from your neighbors…just kidding!)…”

34 Responses to Holidays at Home

1. Cassie says:

LOVED the reindeer idea! I used it for my 8 month old b/g twins. We did one reindeer on each little brown Tshirt, I used the brown paint recommended but lightened with white to a tan. I painted the bottoms of the babies feet rather than them stepping in it – I could control it easier. I painted the eyes on ’cause of the babies little hands and mouths. But I did use red buttons for the noses, buttons were bigger and had more holes so I was able to sew them on more securely. I added red and white iron on embroidery letters for their name below their reindeer. On my daughters I added a red/white stripe bow to one antler and on the sleeves of the T. Sooo cute! Thanks for the idea!! After Cmas I’m going to make them into pillows they can throw on their beds every Cmas holiday :)

2. Christine says:

I have to let everyone know what a great inspiration sew, mama, sew is. I took Sara’s little reindeer t-shirt idea and ended up making gifts for all of my daughter’s aunts, uncles and grandparents. I did not do shirts, instead I painted small square canvases a mix of green paints. Then I took a plate and put a little dark brown paint the top and a lighter brown at the bottom so when my daughter squished her toes in the paint, it would mix a bit. It ended up making the antlers look darker. Anyhow, since they were small canvases, we did one Rudolph per canvas. I painted the eyes on but did red button noses. We signed and dated them. They could have not turned out cutier. Thank you so much for helping make everyone happy this year.

3. All the items are looking great, The light green color T-shirt with print is very nice.
    The crafts are simply adorable.

Thanks for posting
    Lucy

4. Page says:

That snowflake is pretty amazing!

5. Deanna says:

I love the reindeer shirt and will have to try that next year for the grandma’s and the taggie monster is so cute! Will keep on file for baby showers!

6. Shelly says:

The Reindeer Tee Shirt is adorable!

7. OK that tag monster is way too cute!

8. What an adorable tag monster!! I love your blog. :)

9. Margie says:

Great stuff!! I love that little taggie monster-I need a few of those!!

10. Geri says:

I love the craziness of the puking pastilles and the fact Georgia’s children are confident enough to gift these great creations! Maybe some days teaching is kinda like being in the middle of a tornado!

11. Elizabeth says:

I love the reindeer shirt!

12. Helena says:

Everything is so neat I want to make a tag monster all my babies have loved tags. reindeer were so awesome, I done the angel using foot prints(body) and handprints(wings).

13. Molly says:

I adore that tag monster!!! I have my cousin’s daughter in a family grab and it is absolutely the perfect gift to make her!

14. I really LOVE the reindeer feet idea! What a great and personal gift for a grandparent… I’m going to do that! I’m thinking of putting it on a canvas I have and giving it to them as artwork. :-)

15. Kathleen says:

So many neat ideas this year!

If you can find it, aquarium/silicon glue works REALLY well for making snow globes. It’s the same stuff you would use to seal a leak in a fish tank and it does a great job sealing the jar lids or attaching glass to a polyclay base.

16. Andi says:

I love that tag monster! My nephew would have loved this a few years ago – he loved tags too!

17. Dawn says:

I love that tag monster!

18. Jacqui says:

I love that reindeer top!!
    What a beautiful idea!!!

19. All of the projects are great! Love the reindeer shirt and the quilled snowflake.

20. Tracy says:

That paper snowflake is amazing. I am loving this series!

21. Dena C says:

I love the Craft ‘n Bitch idea! that sounds like too much fun to me.
    And that quilled snowflake is GORGEOUS!

22. Christine Bolin says:

The reindeer t-shirt is just adorable!

23. amy says:

Love the reindeer! Wonder how my 13 year-old boy would like to do that….the other 3 would definitely be game!

24. Casey says:

I love that tag monster!!

25. kari says:

I love the tag monster! ‘Sew’ adorable! haha! & I may have to steal the idea of craft’n bitch for my friends. thanks for hte great ideas:)

26. Katheirne says:

I LOVVEE The taggy Monster..How flipping cute is that?!!

27. Liz says:

That tag monster is so cute! Love the idea of footprint reindeer too. :)

28. Josiane says:

The quilled snowflake is so beautiful! The tag monster and the reindeers shirt are very fun ideas too! Thanks for sharing them!

29. maryanne says:

That reindeer Grandma shirt is adorable, I think I’ll try that for my mom for Christmas next year!

30. Keri says:

Wow, that snowflake is GORGEOUS!

31. Courtney B says:

That reindeer shirt is TOO cute! We are going to have to try it!!!

32. Ashley Ann says:

i love the taggie monster! he is so cute!

33. Nani says:

I’m going to try out that cute taggie monster for my newest little niece!

34. Michele says: