Board Member Introduction ~ Jennifer

on January 28 | in Contributors | by | with 22 Comments

Today we’re pleased to introduce Jennifer from the Jennifer Ladd shop. Jennifer makes a really stunning selection of purses, bags, accessories, and baby items to sell, often sewing with her two year old at her feet. She utilizes a beautiful variety of many of our favorite fabrics and has a precise eye for fine sewing details. As a new board member Jennifer is also working on a fat quarter handbag tutorial for February so we can learn a bit more from her skills and creativity. Be sure to visit the Jennifer Ladd shop to swoon over her clutches, wristlets and more. Welcome, Jennifer!

SMS: How long have you been sewing?
Jennifer: I have been sewing … well … forever. My grandma is a seamstress, and I spent a lot of time at her house while I was growing up. I watched her every day for the first couple of years of my life, and then one day, I picked up my own scissors and some scraps from by my grandma’s feet and I started creating! I haven’t stopped since!

SMS: What do you enjoy about sewing? What are your favorite things to make?
Jennifer: I love the pride that comes with creating something beautiful through my own skills and imagination. I love making bags and purses, especially. They are usually sewn inside-out (to hide the seams), so it’s not until the end that I get to see exactly what my creation looks like as one piece. I so enjoy the moment when I turn the bag and get to see its beauty for the first time – I always feel proud of myself and proud of my work.

SMS: How do you find time to fit creativity (sewing and any other creative loves) into your life?
Jennifer: Being a mom is my full time job (the best I’ve ever had!). Then I work on my craft projects in the evening when my husband is home and is able to have some “daddy-daughter time” with Annie while I work. Some days it is tough to be sewing while I hear my husband and my daughter playing and giggling in the other room. I know that time will pass so quickly, and I want to enjoy every minute of life with her. Luckily, I do spend all of my day with her, and I do really enjoy my evening sewing time. It is a little mental break for me. Also, Annie usually spends the evening playing at my feet, anyway! She has started to have a lot of fun playing with my sewing scraps and supplies. This is a very cool thing for me to see since I, myself, used to do the same thing at my grandma’s feet!

SMS: Do you have a favorite sewing tip or skill that’s made things work better for you?
Jennifer: Keep a pair of pliers near-by when you hand sew. You can pull your needle through the tough spots easily, and it saves your fingertips from going numb.

BMPJclutch.jpg

Jennifer’s Yellow Blossoms Clasp Clutch

SMS: What’s a favorite thing you’ve made lately?
Jennifer: I love my Yellow Blossoms Clasp Clutch purse. This winter has been so cold and so snowy, I just needed to make something bright and happy.

SMS: Can you tell us a little more about yourself?
Jennifer: I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with my husband and two-year-old daughter. I used to be a French teacher, but after we traveled to Vietnam to adopt her last year, I quit my job to stay home with her. I always said that my “dream job” was to run my own business to sell my handmade purses. My husband encouraged me to pursue that dream and I opened my Etsy shop in December, 2007. I make and sell my handmade bags, purses, and baby items, and I am loving my new job! I get to spend every day raising my wonderful daughter and creating cute things — life doesn’t get much better!

22 Responses to Board Member Introduction ~ Jennifer

1. sandy says:

Thank you … I enjoyed the interview. Congrats on your darling daughter … she’s adorable.

2. Betty says:

Congrats! I Love your bags.

3. I love the vivid colors in her doll quilt. BEAU-TI-FUL!!!

4. wendy says:

Hi Jennifer,
    I’m from Milwaukee too! Spent the first 26 years of my life there. I LOVE your fabric choices and bags.
    Wendy

5. Swati says:

Your bags are beautiful! I would love to see a tutorial on how you make them!

6. Baba says:

Your bags and purses are wonderful! Congratulations Jennifer!

7. Mel says:

Hi and Welcome! I loved reading about you and your sewing and daughter. My own little 2 year old girl was adopted from Guatemala in 2006. She is the biggest blessing and is actually what started me sewing again after a long break. I still work full-time at my paying job but dream of the day when I can help contribute financially by doing what I love – creating and sewing!

8. SolSisters says:

CARRIED AWAY: The Etsy Bag Makers Team is delighted to count Jennifer as one of our founding members. The team has grown to just over a hundred in just three months and we’re actively promoting bag makers of every type, from every corner of the world, at every skill level. Having seen many of Jennifer’s beautiful works, I am sure Sew Mama Sew readers will get a lot from her time on the board.

Please visit our team blog at http://www.carriedawayteam.blogspot.com to see more great bag makers. There’s quite a few tutorials from our members for you to peruse in addition to all the great bags.

9. Sinje says:

Congratulations! Your purses are adorable and the clasp purse is ne of my absolute favourites!

10. Helena says:

congrats. :)

11. Wendy Martin says:

Way to go Jennifer. Great article.

12. jessica m says:

Oh my LORD Jennifer. Thank god for this post! I hadn’t seen your purses before and I’m in love. The clasp clutches are just “SLAMMIN” as the kids say. i’ve got two of them on my favorites list on etsy. Maybe it’ll accidentally get sent to my husband.

13. Jane says:

Welcome Jennifer. I enjoy your purses and I am looking forward to your February tutorial.

14. mamafitz says:

i thought i recognized the background in the photo — that’s our art museum! beautiful purses, jennifer.

15. Melanie O says:

I saw this photo in my Google Reader and I said – “that’s the Milwaukee Art Museum!”, one of my favorite places to take my girls, too! Congratulations, and way to put Milwaukee on the (craft) map! And, your bags are beautiful, how wonderful to be living your dream :)

16. Susan says:

Such a talented lady! I’m sure she’ll be a welcome addition.

17. staci says:

Congrats, Jennifer! Your bags are fantastic – I especially love the clasp clutches.

18. lena says:

Thanks for being an inspiration to sew in the midst of baby-dom! Your creations are beautiful and remind me that it is worth it to make a little time for creating.

19. Staci says:

Welcome! Your bags are fabulous – I especially love the clasp clutches.

20. Kelli says:

Love, love, love the clutch! Can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store for us next month.

21. Margie says:

Welcome Jennifer. Your purses are gorgeous!!

22. Alissa says:

Congrats Jennifer! Your purses are SO pretty and that daughter! ADORABLE!