Favorite Patterns: Children

on January 21 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 27 Comments

There were lots of fun patterns for children noted the other day. The forum pattern thread is always a great resource for more information about a specific pattern, and it’s easy to find cute, new looks in the Flickr pool. Here’s a round-up of some of your current, favorite kid patterns.

KP121bolero.jpg

leila & ben Bolero Jacket from Liz at me and t

KP121circle.jpg

that*darn*kat Round Neck Top from Kate at Free Motion

KP121dress.jpg

Portabellopixie Claire Dress from Amber at one shabby chick

Your current favorites…
Girls: Any/all of the Portabellopixie patterns but specifically the Claire (dress), Any/all of the Pink Fig patterns but specifically the Olivia (top), Girly Skirt, Lily (top) and Bella (pants), Any/all Oliver + S patterns but specifically the Swingset Tunic & Skirt and the 2 + 2 Blouse & Pleated Skirt, Burda Style 9678 (pants), Belle Elysse Pinafore from YouCanMakeThis.com, SewBaby Twirly Dress, leila & ben Sweet Little Dress, Miss Madeline from The Handmade Dress, Children’s Corner Sara’s Skort, Jackie Clark Britches & Bloomers and Baby Doll Top

Boys and/or girls: SewBaby Wonder Jacket, Kwik Sew 2951 (shirt), Favorite Things Little Hooded Jacket

Book & Magazine resources: Japanese sewing books, Ottobre

We also have lots of excellent pattern reviews on the blog for some of our kid clothing patterns:
Oliver + S Sandbox Pants
Oliver + S Bubble Dress
Oliver + S Tea Party Sundress
Favorite Things Little Hooded Jacket
Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts
Jackie Clark’s Britches & Bloomers
Jackie Clark’s Baby Overalls
Pink Fig Girly Stripwork Skirt

KP121wonder.jpg

SewBaby Wonder Jacket from Juliana

KP121Easter.jpg

Rebekah from Rebekah Bland’s Blog wrote in about the Favorite Things Little Hooded Jacket pattern and made a darling version (see it here). In our non-stop search for cute boy clothing inspiration we just had to share a picture of the Easter clothes she recently made with a vintage pattern for her little guy.

Add anything we missed in the comments… Tell us more about patterns for boys!

27 Responses to Favorite Patterns: Children

1. brandie says:

i need your help! i remember seeing a tutorial on a blog sometime in the past (??) that showed how to make a simple girls dress, it gathered at the neck with a bow. does that ring a bell? I have been searching and searching…and searching. any help would be most appreciated! thanks!

2. Geri says:

Since I had 3 boys, I sympathize with all of you that can’t find boys’ patterns. However, your creativity in fabric choice, appliques, etc, can be put to use since boy’s clothes are so easy. My boys are grown now; but am still doing stuff for my grandson. What I really want to know is this. My youngest son is being married in late May. My 2 granddaughters (ages 2 and 7) will be standing up, and I will make their dresses. They won’t be really fancy; but I’m not even sure what is out there. I’m an experienced sewer – just not experienced with little girls patterns. Oh, plus they are in Florida, and I’m in Illinois. Thought I’d try to make up their dresses in another fabric and do a test trial. We’re planning to visit them in March, so that would give me some time.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Would appreciate any suggestions.

3. AmberL says:

Wonderful!

4. Kate says:

I always see such great boys patterns in Ottobre. I really need to try some Oliver and S patterns – they look great.

5. Sue says:

I just made http://sewmamasew.com/ccp0-prodshow/844.html for my granddaughter http://www.sweetsuesews.blogspot.com. That was so much fun to make and came out pretty cute, I am going to make more, I have many granddaughters.

6. Liz says:

YouCanMakeThis

has a lot of patterns (including the round neck top and the bolero jacket) listed above. They also have a few boys patterns too.

i think what is hard with boys is that, in general, their clothing is so simple. what is fun about sewing for our girls is that there are so many cute fabrics out there that make a simple pair of capris fun BECAUSE of the fabric. Plus, there are so many way to change a pattern to make a dress, but really – for a boy: shorts, pants, t-shirts there are just not a lot of variety in general. I like to applique (http://tracyandlizsblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/appli-crazy.html) for my son or do freezer paper stensils on t-shirts.

7. tasha says:

i love all the dresses patterns! what fun!

8. Annmarie says:

for older girls I would check out ottobre, their sizes go up to 170 cm which is small adult and they have some great patterns.

I too sew only for boys and find that ottobre and burda have more options for boys and I’ve used a few girls patterns for my guys! Some of the patterns listed in the post would work for girls or boys, even if they are marketed for girls :)

9. kim says:

Thanks for the recommendations. I need more boy pattern favorites as my girl is starting to refuse my skirts.

10. Erin says:

What about for big girls – the 8-12 age…

11. Michelle says:

Anna – for an 11 year old, how does she measure? If she’s still relatively “undeveloped,” the Portabellopixie patterns go up to an 8, and would be easy to resize. The apron top is a little young for her, IMO, but check out the peasant top on the Claire pattern, and the other one that is similar to the “Round Neck Top” shown above. I could definately see that on an 11 year old, cut long like a tunic, with leggings and ballet flats!

12. Mary Ann M says:

Last summer I made some very cute dresses for my granddaughter from the Butterick See & Sew 3889 pattern. It has a lovely full skirt and she loved it. I plan on making a few more for her this year too.

Mary Ann M.

13. jessica m says:

Oh LORD, that Claire dress is adorable. I’ll be looking into that little ditty this summer!

14. nikko says:

As a mom to four boys, I also am sad at the lack of fun boys clothing patterns. Maybe someday someone will hear our plight. ;o) I’ll file these pattern suggestions away for my nieces, though.

15. Anna says:

Does anybody sew for their young teenagers? I would love to sew a few things (tops mostly) for my 11-year-old daughter, but most of what I see is for little girls or adult women. Any tips or where to look for patterns and ideas?

16. Liesl says:

Thanks for the mention, and what an adorable bunch of children! Cheers, Liesl

17. Kate says:

The pattern for the Round Neck Top pattern is still available! Just the listing that she had up in her etsy store has expired since I originally linked to it… if you go to her main shop page it is relisted:

I will try to update the link on my post too…

18. shaina says:

kids just look so cute in homemade clothes!

19. rae says:

i’m so bummed that so many of the patterns reviewed are out of stock (and some have been for quite some time)!

these reviews are really helpful and i always love reading them and being inspired. thanks!

20. Christine Bolin says:

I wish I was a kiddie again and someone would make these for me! Good job.

21. sarah f says:

oh so many new blogs bookmarked today! One day i will get to all these lovely projects! I love sewing for DD, but like y’all here i wish there were more sweet clothes for my little man!

22. Mama K says:

PS Didn’t want my last comment to come across too negative, but it’s a bit frustrating as there is a lack of selection in boy’s patterns everywhere.

23. Mama K says:

Sigh. As always the boys are under-represented.

24. Linda says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the jacket – wish I had some girls to make for!

25. Elizabeth says:

The round collar dress is adorable…but alas the pattern is not available. Any suggestions?

26. Annmarie says:

great list of patterns! I’d not seen the wonder jacket before! I like it, I have a thing for sewing coats…

27. Annie says:

I love the dresses! How fun!