Favorite Patterns: Women

on January 14 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 19 Comments

Here’s our round-up of your latest, favorite sewing patterns for women. We’ll do a post about kid patterns soon. Are you looking ahead to some spring sewing? You can always find lots of great info in the Sewing Patterns section of the Forum (this week we had a couple thousand views– and some great responses– for favorite boy clothing patterns). Post if you have a question about a pattern you’re working on, or if you’re looking for a specific silhouette or skill level. It would be a great place to post favorite Japanese pattern book ISBNs too (just start a thread!).

WP11409whistlepea.jpg

Butterick B5206 from Whistlepea Knits

WP11409fotwirl.jpg

Sew What! Skirts from Dayna at fo-ne-tic-lee speaking

Check out Supa’s Simplicity 3887 shirt and Steph’s Butterick 3134 skirt!

Some additional favorites you mentioned…
Skirts & Dresses: Amy Butler Barcelona skirt, Simplicity 4044 retro-style skirt, Butterick 5206 dress, Butterick 6030 skirt & shirt, Simplicity 3835 dress

Shirts: Amy Butler Anna tunic, Butterick 4985 shirt, Wendy Mullins Simplicity Built-By-You patterns, Simplicity 3887 shirt, Butterick 4684 shirt

Book & Magazine resources: Ottobre, Japanese pattern books, downtownDIY Sewing: 14 Easy Designs for City Girls with Style, Sew What! Skirts

Add anything we missed in the comments!

19 Responses to Favorite Patterns: Women

1. Bella says:

Love it! I’ve been sewing for two years and i still cant get the hang of doing patterns so, hopefully these “simlpe” patterns will aork for me! Thanks!

-Bella + Edward = Love, Life, Eternity
    ****Twilight****

2. Flassie says:

Never mind. My daughter told me to go look at the one
    in the shop where she bought the pattern and take what
    I did have together and ask someone.

I finally got it. God Bless You and Yours!!!

3. Flassie says:

PS. Click the second Flassie and it will take you to
    two of the reversible purses I made. You can either
    leave me a comment there or I’ll come back to find
    out any info you leave me.

God Bless You and Yours and Thank You!!!

4. Flassie says:

I know this isn’t about the pretty skirt but I am needing info on
    the frenchy bag.

The sew in interfacing I was wondering if it need to be ironed also
    after basting in.

If not do I turn the rough side toward the wrongside of the fabric?
    Or do I turn the smooth side to the wrongside of the fabric?
    I am using a lighter weight fabric and I am wondering if the rough
    side of the interfacing is going to show through it.

I don’t think I used interfacing b/4. I’ve been making the Reversible
    purses I seen on Martha Stewart which I found a post about it on
    One Pretty Thing. But my daughter bought the Amy Butler Frenchy Bag
    Pattern and the materials. I’d love it if I didn’t have to use the interfacing
    but I do have to use it.

Thanks for any information you can tell me.

5. Dayna says:

Hi All –

I just wanted to post that the cool thing about the book Sew What Skirts is that you use your own measurements to make the pattern….so no matter what your size you can create the twirly skirt seen above or any of the others in their book.

Good Luck and Happy Sewing.

6. Christine Bolin says:

I love the swirly skirts. How wonderful.

7. Deborah Ocasio says:

Whoo I would love to also see plus size!! These are great!

8. Jodie says:

I love that skirt! I think I may have to try that one. I’ve never made any clothing for myself, but I think it’s time to change that! Maybe just in time for Easter? F-u-n.

9. Helena says:

When I was young my grandmother use to make those twirly skirts for me. I just might have to get a pattern and try my hand at sewing a skirt with spring around the corner here in Texas.

10. lesley says:

Seeing those pictures make me want to do a twirl. I love the skirt. I would love to see some plus sizes too!

11. Jacqui says:

I love that dress. I’m yet to make a dress for me so I think I’ll be using this pattern for me!

12. Steph W says:

Oh my gosh – I’m so excited to have made your list! I feel so honored!

13. Ashley Ann says:

Cool! I can’t wait to try some of these!

14. Kari says:

I love the sew what! skirts!!!! Gorgeous patterns. . . Thanks!

15. halfdime says:

I have been loving Onion patterns for myself and my daughter. Check them out at shoponion.com (with English translations). They don’t have a seam allowance included which makes them easy to alter and get the perfect fit. A plus is everyone I’ve tried is really simple to sew and very flattering. Oh – also, they are like pattern books, you trace them out instead of cutting.

16. I also love the Sew what! Skirts book! It is pertty simple to follow, and great for people who are always having to adjust patterns anyway.

17. I love patterns like these–simple, classic and most importantly, lovely.

18. Leah says:

But what about pants (trousers) patterns?

19. Lil says:

I’d love to see a round-up of favorite women’s plus-sized patterns as well! :D