So you want to publish a book…

on January 19 | in Interviews + Profiles | by | with 412 Comments

spacer Do you experience a teeny-tiny bit of book envy when one of your favorite crafty bloggers writes a fantastic, new book? Are you passionate about your craft? Do you want to write a book? Susanne Woods is an acquisitions editor for C&T Publishing, and she offered to answer some of our burning publishing questions today.

Sew,Mama,Sew!: You’re an Acquisitions Editor. Can you tell us a little about what that entails? What is your work like?

spacer Susanne: I have the coolest job I can think of! You know you hit the jackpot when you are getting paid for what you would be doing if you had spare time—reading blogs, looking through magazines, browsing bookshops and Amazon, attending craft fairs and quilt shows, looking for trends in the worlds of retail and fashion. I am always keeping my eyes open for new ideas and content to figure out a way to translate and identify trends. I also spend a lot of time developing books with our existing authors so they continue to publish with us as their career grows.

Basically, an Acquisitions Editor is the first line in the publishing process and is the major advocate for the project as they often decide what projects to propose to the rest of their team for potential publication. I am always searching…

SMS: How did you get started in the field?
Susanne: I was actually an intern at C&T when I was in the final year of my English degree and before I went to New York University to study in their Publishing Course. After the course, I went on to work in New York at Workman Publishing, then moved to London for six years to continue my book publishing career where I focused on illustrated publishing—art, design, cooking, gardening. Anything with pictures.

spacer SMS: How did you end up with your company?
Susanne: I met my husband in London and we decided to move back to the US near my much-missed family to open our own business. We were going to open a bookstore but the competition was too tight. I have always had an interest in furniture and design so we decided to open a furniture consignment store (www.chameleonconsignment.com). Four years and two lovely little boys later, I was approached by C&T about this amazing opportunity. I have been a quilter for years but the possibility of combining my fabric addiction with my book addiction seemed the remotest of possibilities. Talk about a dream job opportunity.

SMS: Can you tell us a little about your company?
Susanne: C&T is such a dynamic company and is an industry leader in the fabric world. The staff is all so passionate about their work and our authors leave me truly awestruck. This is an especially exciting time for us as a publisher because we have been able to grow with the craft industry and it is such a privilege for me to introduce so many innovative and exciting authors for potential publication. C&T itself is 25 years old and having such a respected reputation with the fabric manufacturers and fabric stores certainly makes my acquisitions easier. Most anyone who has worked with fabric in their crafting knows the C&T name and probably has quite a few of their books on their shelves.

SMS: We have a lot of really talented readers who would probably love to get a book deal! Can you fill us in on how the book publishing process works? What are publishers looking for?
Susanne: One of the most surprising comments I hear from first-time authors is how intimidating the prospect of submitting a book proposal is. Just bear in mind that often publishers want to find you just as much as you want to find them. I’ll be posting a series on the C&T blog about the Acquisitions process where I will go into a bit more detail for those who want to know more, but here are my Top 10 Do’s and Don’ts for anyone interested in submitting a book proposal:

Top 10 Do’s and Don’ts
#1 Don’t let concern about your writing skills prevent you from submitting. We have Developmental Editors to help with that.

#2 Don’t wait to complete the book before submitting your idea. At C&T, we just request a sample chapter, an outline and photographs of a representational project for the book.

#3 Do create a strong presence through teaching, blogging, pattern writing, craft fairs, Etsy sales, creating a fabric line and anything else that might both show your commitment and demonstrate interest in your style, your creations and yourself. Create publicity about yourself and your business to make the marketing and sales departments drool.

#4 Do ride the wave. The best time to publish and establish yourself is when you are busiest—when you are working on a fabric line or when your pattern business is really taking off. The more components you can coordinate to be advertising at the same time, the less time it will take you in the long term. It’s a lot easier to really gain a groundswell of excitement about your work if you can juggle all the balls at once.

#5 Do your homework with regard to the publisher you want to work with. The more you know about their list of titles they currently publish, the better able you are to sell yourself as a natural fit. Think of it in the same way as you would applying for college.

#6 Don’t submit to multiple publishers at once. Publishing is a funny old animal. There is a lot of unspoken etiquette and this is one.

#7 Don’t tell. In such a small segment of the publishing industry, any editor prides themselves on finding the next success. Competition is high. Friends and family-fine to talk to. Blog and industry shows-not fine.

#8 Don’t expect to make a million dollars. Publishing is not a high profit business, so really look at how a book will increase your profile, not create it.

#9 Do be prepared for the project to take a year. Right now, I am acquiring for our Fall 2010 list with finished projects due in Fall 09.

#10 Do be afraid of self-publishing. Free up your time and capital to grow your business in other ways. Take advantage of the marketing, publicity and fulfillment of a publisher. If you feel your idea is that good, just negotiate a better contract. Talk to your acquiring editor about having a big input in the design if that is the concern.

And a bonus #11 is the show-me-the-money advice: When deciding on a publisher to submit a proposal to, look at the retail prices they charge for their books. The money you see from your book will be based in part on the retail price. A lot of publishers try to keep their prices low, like $25 for a 256 page book. Because C&T is a premium publisher, we would set the retail price of $25 for an 80 page book. Same money, ½ the work.

SMS: How could someone find a publisher?
Susanne: Of course, I would suggest C&T first! Another good way to determine which publisher might be a good match is to look at your bookshelf or the books you check out from the library. Go to a bookstore. Who publishes the books that you like the most? Also take a look at where the publishers advertise themselves. Because of the big boom in the craft industry, I have seen a lot of publishers come in and dabble in the sewing world. Be a bit careful here. If they are only publishing a few books in the craft category they won’t be publicizing your book at Market, or at the CHA shows or online. Their publicity departments won’t necessarily know where to submit review copies to spread the word and the marketing departments won’t know where to best spend their advertising dollars…

ICT4.jpg

C&T Publishing staff

At C&T, we are really working to cater to new customers entering the sewing world as well as publishing titles to our core quilting audience. Because it takes us about a year from acquiring a book to seeing it in the bookstores, you won’t see the results of a new direction right away. So take a look at who the Acquisitions Editor is, how long they have been there, and what their vision for their list is. I recently started at C&T so you won’t see the titles I have acquired until Fall 2010—publishing is a slow process.

SMS: What is the best way to approach a publisher?
Susanne: Publishers usually have set submission guidelines which can often be found on their website. The C&T submissions guidelines are here. Be sure to follow them carefully as publishers are not only looking for good ideas, they are also looking to weed out those who just made their first tea-cozy and think they have enough for an entire book.

SMS: If someone sees a book in their future but they aren’t quite ready to contact a publisher, what sorts of things can they do in the meantime?
Susanne: #1 Publishers like to create books representing collaborative projects. If you are reading this, chances are that you have some blogging friends. Don’t be shy in asking a selection of 10-12 people to come together and each contribute a project or a few projects along a single theme.

#2 If you have a blog or a shop or are creating a few patterns, take time to reflect your personal style in your logo and the design for your blog and/or shop, or magazine articles where your work is published. You can use this to support a consistent look in a book proposal.

#3 Demonstrate your ability to effectively teach. C&T have refused many presentations where the core work is good, but the student work isn’t. If you can’t teach it, you can’t publish a high quality instructional book. Either online or in person—establish yourself as an effective instructor.

SMS: Can people contact you if they have more questions about the process?
Susanne: I LOVE my job, love the industry and am always excited to help. Feel free to contact me at [email protected].

We’d love to hear and learn more… Do you have any experience with the process? Are you hoping for a book in your future? Share in the comments!

412 Responses to So you want to publish a book…

1. Thanks for posting, I’ll definitely be subscribing to your blog.

2. Hello all who have checked in!
    I’ve been so overwhelmed by everyone’s responses but have finally managed to pull myself together enough to post some more info on our blog at C&T Publishing. I think it should post on Tuesday 16 March if anyone wanted a bit more detailed info on the publishing process.

Link here: http://www.ctpubblog.com/

3. Dale Anne says:

I would like to post this on the Quilt Designers group, I’d credit your blog.
    Dale

4. susan says:

I love the “Top 10″ — very helpful advice. Great interview!

5. Kristin says:

Great information! Thanks so much!

6. Becka says:

Thank you! I am really happy to see your emphasis on having teaching experience. I teach a lot and every time I do I discover something that I forgot to put in a handout because it seemed so obvious (and really wasn’t). This is a great post!

7. lalitha says:

I have never quilted before and am going to take a class.Quilting is not very popular in India and I am very anxious to learn.Thank you for answering many of my questons in your interview.

8. Marci says:

I took a Technical Writing course for my undergrad English degree. We had a lady come in to talk about her publishing experience. It’s so fascinating to see the whole process. She happened to have published a craft book. But anyway, it’s great to have your view on the publishing process. Thanks for sharing!

9. Martha says:

Great information and how wonderful that fabric love and book love could come together so fruitfully!

10. Jodie says:

Thank you for the great ideas – this is a wonderful resource for us “dreamers” in the world of crafts. Thanks! : )

11. Margaret says:

That’s VERY helpful, and interesting.

12. Liz says:

Thanks for all of your work, you are a great inspiration. What do you think is the next trend in quilting?

13. Christy says:

wow, this is the information I’ve been looking for! Thank you!!

14. Rane says:

Wow! I wish that I had the confidence that you have to do that! I would get so much done!
    Rane

15. Joy says:

I love this. Thank you so much for sharing! It helps a lot!

16. Debbie says:

I can identify with the book-addiction/fabric addiction thing. I’m a public school librarian just beginning to quilt, and I love to read all kinds of sewing books and magazines.

17. Sarah B says:

Thank you for sharing!

18. Debra says:

Thanks for the wonderful information. This was a great interview and very insightful.
    Good luck in your new job!
    Debra

19. Amy says:

What an interesting interview. Is there a particular subject(s) that you are looking for more so than others?

20. Erin says:

This is such a sweet job! I’m so glad that you get to do something that brings you, your clients, and all the readers happiness!

21. barbara says:

This is all very different than what I had imagined. Thanks for the informative post!

22. ellen says:

Thanks for sharing all the great information.

23. Christie says:

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has a dream to publish a book one day. Thanks so much for the info.

24. Reading some of the messages above, the one asking about libraries caught my attention, “…Do the publishing companies dislike/resent libraries…?”
    Gulp! I hope the answer is NO!
    Libraries buy books! And often I request quilting books my library decides to buy rather than borrow from another library. I use library books as a preview – often buying my own copy if I love, love, love it. Because libraries do demand you give them back their books :)
    Nice article too!

25. Janet says:

Very interesting and some excellent advice. Thank you!

26. Lisa says:

Thanks for the interesting interview. Publishing a craft book isn’t something I’ve considered, but it’s inspiring nonetheless to read about the possibilities…..

27. Nichole says:

Thanks for all of the great information!

28. Shaelee Evans says:

Thank you for your input- very encouraging for me to think that my hobbies might actually lead to something greater if I keep at it and make and effort to promote myself!

29. Susan Ikin says:

Thank you for an informative interview – I would love Susanne’s job, but will be content to put together a book of my work some day.

30. Amanda says:

What great resources!

31. Stacey says:

Very Interesting Advise! Thank you!

32. So many ideas. . . too bad I need to sleep!

33. Pamela says:

Thanks so much for the interview with Susanne. What a wonderful job she has. It was interesting & informative. Thanks again.

34. Katrin says:

I can not imagine to write a book myself, but I love to see all the interessting new craft books comeing up. Would love to see more going on about craft books in german language!

35. Amy says:

Thank you SO much for this great information. I’ve dreamed of being an author for years and years. Maybe this year I’ll finally send out some query letters. SMS, you’re a constant source of inspiration.

36. Shannon says:

This was a wonderful interview, thanks so much for all the great information.

37. julie says:

Thanks for all of the tips. I’m actually thinking of writing a book, so these were very helpful!

38. Kelly says:

Very interesting and a very big thank you.. My aunts were all big crafters and they all sewed beatifully. I treasure the stuff that they made me. I am glad there has been a revival of all things crafty.

39. ELENA says:

Hi all!!
    I’m not going to write a book, but Indeed I must say this is a very interesting interview. The top 10 are great!
    Thank you so much Susanne for sharing your knowledge with us.

40. That was a great interview, thanks for sharing all of your information with us.

41. Wendi says:

This was a great interview! Definitely piqued my interest, since so many of my favorite bloggers are writing books lately!

42. Julia in MI says:

I love the Art Quilt Workbook. I would love to see more books on art Quilts. They fascinate me and I would like to make some.

43. Regina says:

Thanks for all the info. I have been toying with the idea of some self publishing and this helps put some more things into perspective.

44. elizabeth says:

Thanks, Susan, for the interesting information. The world of publishing doesn’t seen so daunting now!

45. Anne says:

Thank you for this interview, it’s so interesting and informative.

46. Dawn says:

Wow, what a great post! I’ve always been curious about publishing and it always seems so exciting when my favorite blog author becomes a published author as well. This is certainly a post that I will file away for the future! Thank you!

47. Molly says:

Very inspirational! Maybe I CAN do it!!

48. Elle Doughty says:

Thanks so much for this timely and helpful information. It’s very helpful to me as I push towards my own dream of being published.

Many thanks, Leslie

49. beccy says:

I’ve always wanted to publish a book- sometimes you find one that looks so promising but falls so short of the mark that you think, “I could do better than that!” Or you need 6 books to give you the info for one project idea because they each focus on some aspects, but not all. This interview has given us all some great insights into the world of book publishing (that almost seemed a forbidden planet!)

50. Miss S says:

Thanks for sharing. Nothing seems impossible, does it?

51. Anya says:

So now I know how the books of all the nifty crafty blogs I read come into being! :) Thank you for the info! :)

Anya

52. Wow! Great info! Thank you for the terrific interview.

53. Nani says:

Great article…love the do’s & don’ts

54. jill says:

thanks for the really interesting interview. My brain was buzzing the entire day after I read this post with ideas for a craft book. Not that I have time to do one right now, but I am super inspired. I was thinking it would be cool to do a book with companion crafts — dress up clothes and other play-related sewing crafts for moms, and simple paper crafts that kids could make to add to the costume.

Also, have you ever checked out crazymomquilts.blogspot.com? She probably has a full book’s worth of projects on her blog already. Definitely worth a look.

55. Amy says:

Thanks!

56. Kate says:

This was very very informative. I’m no where near writing a book, but the thing I found most interesting was that you don’t have to have the entire book finished. That’s quite something!

57. Stephanie says:

This is such useful information. I am sure you will have a huge increase in book proposals now. Who knows, I may propose one myself! Thanks for all of the advice.

58. Sarah says:

Thanks for all of that inspiring information. It sounds like you have a wonderful job.

59. DebbieKL says:

Interesting information! Love the business sign.

60. Sara Hemmeke says:

Creativity and publishing are something near and dear to my graphic designer’s heart. All very good information to help the publishing process seem less intimidating. How do you determine when a given “market” is flooded and start looking for fresh ideas?

61. karissa says:

Thanks for sharing that with us!

62. amy says:

This is such helpful information. Thank you so much!

63. Alissa says:

I’m so glad I didn’t waste all my time writing a whole book and THEN realizing the publisher didn’t like my idea. Thanks for the info about only writing a chapter or so with an outline. Very helpful!

64. erin says:

Sounds like you have an awesome job!!

65. JenO says:

I’ve always had an idea to write a how to book on cool weddings. A do it yourself book!

66. Ani Hudson says:

Wow, great interview! Thanks for sharing all your tips and knowledge. I envy you your job! Best,Ani

67. Courtney says:

How nice of you to share your time and knowledge! Very interesting read, thanks!

68. Sunny says:

This is the awesomeness of the blog world! This information is priceless. Thank you for a peak into the workings of publishing a book. I found it very helpful. :)

69. Katie says:

Thanks for the wonderful interview – she does, indeed, have a dream job!

70. Tammy says:

Thanks so much for sharing. I found this very interesting.

71. Phyllis says:

I dream of the day I will have enough experience and knowledge to share in a book! You make it look not so daunting! Thanks for all the info!

72. Emily says:

I am also interested in what the other Emily wrote at 4:18 today about copyright infringement.
    Also, I do not have my own fabric line- is this something that makes a big difference when trying to publish a book with fabric projects?
    Thank you so much for your information!

73. jodie says:

Thanks for all of the great information!

74. Lisa says:

Great interview! I always wondering how people choose publishers. despite being a big reader, I never really followed particular publishers. Lately I’ve been paying closer attention to see what matches my taste. The same easily applies to craft books.

75. sarah says:

nice interview!

76. Brooke says:

Very Interesting stuff. I especially like the dos/don’ts.

77. ReneeH says:

While I have no intentions of ever writing a book I do love reading them. It was great to read what one might expect to “go through” to get their book on my shelf. One thing I would like to comment on for sewing/quilting books is my love and desire for more books with full sized patterns included. There’s nothing more uninspiring than having to enlarge 200% before beginning! Thanks for a great interview!

78. Christine says:

Suzanne! that was good! now I know I will be 65 before I publish…if that ever happens. Actually, I have taught a lot, but have never wanted a book,…even though I have patterns, lots of bag styles….but your info! it was fabulous and very calming.

79. Ursa says:

Thank you. This was very insightful. Very helpful to know.

80. Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Very interesting interview and a very interesting job. You are perfect for it.

81. Debbie says:

Great interview! You rock… !

82. christine says:

I am so jealous of your job! Thank you for sharing.

83. bec says:

very fascinating! it almost makes me want to write a book, almost.

84. andrea says:

Great interview,and very informative.I can only dream of having my work in print -one day?

85. Laura says:

I’ m just curious about how craft book authors feel about libraries – I just got the “Sew What Skirts” book from my local library and I”m looking forward to trying something from it. However, that means that I won’t be buying a copy of the book myself. Do the publishing companies dislike/resent libraries because of this?

Thanks for the interesting interview!

86. JenniMac says:

What a great interview. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

87. Jennie says:

Wow. Thanks for this article — it’s really interesting to a crafter and writer. Lots of good advice here!

88. Some very good advice there. Especially about not telling the world before you seal the deal! And not shopping around to multiple publishers at the same time. How exciting it would be to be picked up by a company like C&T!

89. Amanda says:

Thanks for the information, it was very informative! I have a friend who is looking to publish a book – I’m going to have her check out this interview. :)

90. Debra says:

What an interesting and informative interview. Thanks for sharing all of your tips.

91. Stacy T says:

Great interview, tips, etc. Wish I would have read it last week, lol.

Thanks again and much success in your job you love!
    Stacy

92. Nikki says:

what a fantastic interview. thanks for your insight!

93. Colleen says:

Thanks for all of the good information! Great giveaway!

94. Valerie says:

Wow, you do have the dream job! I’m new to quilting and I was surprised on how theraputic measuring, cutting and ironing is, lol. In your opinion, what is the biggest mistake new quilters make? Do you have and tips of advice you can offer for machine quilting?

95. Becky says:

How very interesting! I would love to have more books on sewing clothes…similar to the Japanese books…only American-style!

96. Vanessa says:

Thanks for the advice!

97. Erin S. says:

Great interview! Even though I have no intention of writing a book, I found this to be very interesting and informative.

98. emily says:

hi…
    i have one question… or maybe two. my friend and i collaborate quite a bit on various projects. sometimes we follow a “what if we tried” process, sometimes we think “i can do that better/easier/cheaper/ with less steps and sometimes and sometimes we see a picture or something in the world and try to transform it into fiber art. how do you decide what is your own idea or if an idea has been transformed enough to call it yours? i would love to publish some of our designs but i am fearful of copyright infringement.
    emily

99. Wendy says:

It’s so nice to get such an inside scoop. Thank you so much for sharing your insight. It’s interesting to see what goes into such an endeavor and so inspiring to see what you have done.

100. Michele says:

Such wonderful information! I’ve always wondered how this process worked. This sounds like such a fantastic job to have! Thanks!

101. anja says:

great info and informative interview

102. Gen says:

Great article, it’s an interesting process.

103. Bree says:

oh my own book – wouldn’t that be wonderful!

104. Kate M. says:

Since I don’t know anyone who is skilled at sewing, I love having an expert’s input by way of his or her book. It’s so nice to know that editors are out there seeking the creative talents and helping out with the writing.

105. Kari says:

Great interview! It’s neat to have some insight into how the books I now worship came to be!

106. Susan says:

Great interview! There really is nothing better than being paid for what you love to do!

107. Pam says:

Very interesting information. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
    One person I would *LOVE* to see publish a crafting book is Julie Williams of Little Cotton Rabbits blog. She also has an etsy shop where she sells the most adorable stuffed knitted animals! Go take a peek at her etsy shop. They’re sure to make you smile. :)

108. I enjoed reading your interview. Thank you for the wonderful advice in the Do’s and Don’ts section. Would you consider publishing a book about how to get started in sewing or crafting business? Perhaps including venues and sources for materials to help newbies get started, successfully. I know that some magazines have provided some information.
    Just thinking.
    Janet

109. Char says:

Wow… now I understand why some of my favorite ol’ blogs have become sort-of… agenda-driven, for lack of a better word. The bloggers’ desire to feed this monster has robbed them of their most precious possession: their unadulterated, unbridled, one-of-a-kind voice. [sigh] where’s an innocent little blog seeker to go now…

110. Kathleen says:

Wow, what wonderful information, Susanne! Thank you so much for clueing us in on a much wondered about subject. Sew…be happy! Kathleen

111. Nancy says:

Wonderful informative article. Oh, I wish I could write something more than a grocery list.

112. Jan says:

Great interview! I love to hear about the different paths people followed to end up where they are today. And it’s especially nice when they share their experiences with others.

113. Melissa says:

Susanne, you sound like such fun to work with! Thanks for sharing this information with us. :)

114. MaryClaire says:

This is great information that gives the aspiring craft book author an idea of the steps necessary to take to get a book published! Thanks for the info!

115. Cami says:

Wow! Thanks for all the great information. You have a fantastic job!

116. Alisa says:

Thank you for sharing all this valuable information. I have a daughter interested in writing and I know she’ll love this interview as well. I have always tried to instill in my children (I have 4) the concept of working at something you love. Sounds like you have. Again, thanks for your insight.

117. lisa says:

What a wonderful job! Thanks for all the info,great interview!
    :)Lisa

118. Jess says:

What great information! Inspiring and practical at the same time, amazing. Thanks!

119. Jaime says:

Wow – makes the idea of publishing a lot less intimidating! I love writing and fabric too so I can see how this would be an incredible job! Thanks for a wonderful interview!

120. Karen says:

I loved reading this entire thing. I think deep down I wish one day I could publish or write a book of my own. Thanks!

121. Ang says:

Interesting to read about the process. Always nice when a fuzzy concept is made clear!

122. Jenn says:

What a great interview, and an AMAZING job – a lot of questions answered! Makes me want to get to it right away…if only someone would come and do the laundry!

123. What great information…l love all the special tips that explain things in more depth than I’ve seen in submission information. If I decide to write a book, I know who to contact!

124. ELIZA says:

Thank you for this very informative inside look at the publishing world! You answered a lot of questions about how the process works, the whys and hows-I really enjoyed this interview. Recently I have found craft books with multiple contributors, Knit Along and Zakka for the Home are two, to be very inspiring. Thanks again! Eliza

125. karen says:

Wonderful interview, interesting to read! Thanks for the chance to win!

126. Janice says:

This is so informative. I’d love to see many of my favorite bloggers take your advice and write a book!

127. Aimee says:

Thank you for sharing so much great info. I’m sure I will never have a book of my own, but it is very interesting hearing what goes into a good craft book.

128. Emily says:

A friend of mine is interested in getting into the publishing side of the craft industry- I would love any suggestions I could pass on to her!

129. Sara D. says:

That was really interesting information!

130. Marie says:

Great interview. The books look fantastic and the interview was very informative & frank. Thanks!

131. Stefanie says:

Thank you so much for this interview. I learned so much and now it is slightly less scary to take the leap and suggest a new book idea!

132. I would love that job…

133. Lindsey says:

I loved your Dos & Don’ts, they were really useful!

134. Jo Anna says:

Thanks for a great article. It was very informative.

135. So nice to see an article like this. Thank you -it’s very informative not to mention interesting.

136. Jen V says:

What a great idea for an interview – thanks SMS. I have a much greater appreciation for how much work goes into building a career & a name before a publishing deal ever happens. Since I am far from having that kind of recognition, I would like to know how to get started with just printing & selling my own patterns. How can I get them out there? Thanks again to SMS and Susanne.

137. stephanie says:

What a fantastic interview – and what a dream job!! Thanks for sharing.

138. quilterlee says:

Thank you for this interview. It is very interesting reading about the process.

139. Kara says:

This job sounds like so much fun! To keep me from having total job envy, I have only one question: what’s your least favorite thing about this job? (Since I can’t imagine anything bad!)

140. Katie says:

You discuss submitting a proposal directly to the publisher. In the publishing world generally, an agent is the usual first step. In the craft area, do authors usually not work with agents?

141. Grand dad says:

thanks for the very clear explainations..good info!

142. alison says:

Great interview!
    Obviously if a book is published the author(s) will be promoting the book through their blog, websites etc. In general are their other expectations of the publishing company for book promotion by the author(s) – i.e. travel to various cities, industry shows etc? How long could a promotion trip last?
    Also, what are some new trends in crafting that you see?

143. Yetta says:

Wow, all this information makes my head spin, yet it makes publishing sound more approachable. Thank you for the great tips.

144. Susan says:

What a great article- wonderful information! Thank you for sharing.

145. Deanne says:

very interesting. I have always wondered about how one goes about getting a book published.

146. Tabitha says:

I hate to admit it, but I do get a bit envious when seeing all the new craft books out there. What bothers me is that the heart of handmade crafts & items is becoming mass market. Handmade is now the “in” thing, but I think a bit of soul was sold to get there.

147. Dana says:

Wow! Thanks for all the great tips! It’s great to hear advice from someone who’s gotten there!

148. Kate says:

Loved this information. It was very useful to me!

149. Alyssa says:

thank you for this info! awesome!

150. Kiki says:

I learned so much reading this interview! Tremendous thanks for all of the great tips and taking the time to share your world!

151. Emilie says:

Wow, I would love a job like that! Great interview.

152. beth rivers says:

thank you! that was so educational, even just to understand how the whole system works, it awnsered alot of questions for me. Thanks for your openess and sweetness.

153. Andi says:

Thanks so much! As a writer and a teacher I was really excited to read this article! I also find it inpirational to read about people who have found their dream jobs (I am still working my way towards finding mine…)

154. Sandy says:

Thank you so much for sharing all the great information here. I think this makes everything seem a little more accessible!

155. Karissa says:

Thanks for the interview! I work for a trade book publisher that is just starting to do some crafty books (which, of course, is MY passion) and it’s interesting to hear how things are at the craft-centric publishing houses.

156. Kaye says:

This article was very informative. I especially enjoyed the Top Ten Questions with a bonus. Crafters are a creative bunch and I think many of us would like to see our creativity spill over into a book to share with the world. It is great that you have a job that you love and brings happiness to others.

157. Tanya says:

Lovely! Please add me to your drawing.
    Thanks,
    Tanya

158. Jeannine says:

Thanks for all the tips!

159. Amy says:

Thanks! I enjoyed the interview.

160. michelle g. says:

insightful and inspiring….thanks for the tips!

161. KathyO says:

Thanks for all the great advice. This will be a good resource to me in the future!

162. Kate says:

Very inspiring, thank you! Reading this interview was just the kick in the pants that I needed.

163. Geri Symington says:

Now that I have read this interview – I appreciate the cost of the books that we are buying – this is really a lot of work – but keep it up everyone who does write a book – WE LOVE THEM

164. Mary says:

I’m in awe… such a cool job!

165. annie says:

great article! maybe one day i’ll publish a book, but there’s so many fabulous ones out there now to get my hands on! thanks :)

166. Lola Jo says:

Wow, I have never thought about the possibility of publishers looking for us! What great information!

167. Shelley says:

wonderfully informative – thank you! :)

168. Kat says:

this was so awesome to read! I just started getting crafty and exploring where that can take me… which, after reading this interview- it is very apparent to me that it can take me wherever I want. Thanks!

169. Libby says:

Thanks so much for the info. This is a topic I have always been secretly curious about.

170. Heather says:

Hey, thanks for the interview! It was nice to hear Suzannes candid responses!
    Heather

171. Nakole Scott says:

Thank you so much! I loved reading about your job and how to publish a book. You really do have a dream job!

172. Machelle Smith says:

I landed here after discovering “sewmamsew” while on facebook. This was an interesting interview and I appreciated the “tips”. Very insiring to read about someone who does what they love. This is a goal of mine that I’ve nearly given up on! Thanks for the encouragement.I checked a link to C+T pub. and learned that I own several of these books!!

173. Teresa says:

Thanks for all of the great advice…Very informative. And the process does not seem nearly as daunting!

174. Emiko says:

Great interview – it’s always inspiring and interesting to see things from different perspectives. Although I have no intentions of getting published, I do find inspiration in craft books and the beautiful photographs that come with them. It was interesting to see it from a publisher’s point of view.

175. Hilda says:

sounds like a fantastic job…. sure would like to have one like that myself!

176. KT says:

Would love to win the 3-in-1 giveaway… for further inspiration to maybe someday write my own craft book!

177. Dorrie says:

What a fantastic job. . .delving into piles of so many creative projects and ideas. I was excited when a pattern I developed went with our local quilt shop to Pacific Quilt International, but a book. . .over the top exciting!

178. Caroline says:

I love #4 Ride the wave! I love it!

179. jmbmommy says:

It is always so fun to learn something new!

180. debi says:

what a great interview – so much information, thanks!

181. Emily says:

Great article! One day I’ll bring together all my creativities and it will be useful to have this information stored up! I have a complete love for books and for crafts. So for now I will get paid for the books part (working at my fav. bookstore) and not get paid for sewing pretty things for my baby.

182. Jenn says:

This is an amazing source of information. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and suggestions with us!

183. Amy says:

When you send an idea to a publisher or a sample chapter, if they are not interested in pursuing it, are your ideas safe with them? Can they use those ideas or are they copyrighted?

184. Kara says:

Very interesting! Thanks for all the information on the behind the scenes of book making!

185. jennicakes says:

So much great info! Thanks so much for sharing!

186. Maria says:

Thank you so much for all the information. :)

187. Linda says:

Very informative — thank you!

188. Melanie O says:

Wonderful information! Thanks for the interview!

189. Marie-Christine Bouffard says:

Great interview. Thanks for the tips… I can’t wait to start my new project!!

190. Shannon says:

Great information! Thanks so much for sharing. All of my questions got answered. What an awesome job you have!

191. karen says:

Thanks for the info! How interesting. I was wondering about a lot of this stuff.
    I would love to get paid to do what I love.

192. love squalor says:

you really do have the coolest job! thank you for sharing so much here!

193. Julie says:

Thank you for this interview. It was really interesting to read about the publishing world.

194. felicitystreasure says:

Wow, I live in Lafayette and I am a customer of Chameleon Consignment. Everyone there has such a lovely accent. Your job sounds amazing! My book collection is almost larger than my fabric/fiber collection.
    Wendy

195. Wendy says:

Thanks for this information. Great advise for anyone interested in publishing.

196. Susan says:

Thank you for the information and advice. Very informative.

197. Rae says:

You have answered many of my questions. Thanks so much.

198. mary grace says:

thanks so much for sharing all of this with us. i’m in the pubulishing industry myself, but on the public relations side of things, and so often even i don’t know how the acquistions side of things works!

199. I am amazed at all of the information that you have supplies about publishing. I always thought that you had to have an agent to submit a book idea. Thank you for the wealth of information.

200. Rhiannon says:

Thanks so much! What a great interview!

201. Sara R. says:

Thanks for sharing your do’s and don’ts…I must say, I envy your job. :)

202. Angela says:

Great interview! Loved it!

203. min says:

I think you’re right about building a presence on the web, because there are people I follow on the web and I’d love to see their work in a book. Maybe they haven’t even thought of it, but it’d be cool for me as a reader.

204. Marsel says:

Very interesting, especially for those of us who have a dream of publishing a book at some point in our lives! Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us.

205. kerri says:

Thank you so much for this! It’s really fascinating and wonderful, this glut of DIY sewing books. Gives me hope for the creative future, and makes me want to go back to work in publishing. Only books like that this time!

206. Jessica says:

Susanne, thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience with us! This interview has been enormously helpful in detailing the publishing aspects of marketing one’s own designs. Your top 10 list is a great starting point for those of us who would like to be published someday. Many thanks!

207. Tif says:

YOU DO HAVE A DREAM JOB!! Thanks so much for all the info!

208. Yolanda says:

Good morning. This is a great article, I am not sure that I am ready to publish a book but it is nice to know the process in the event that it is in my future.

209. Jodie says:

This is great information! Thanks!

210. Tina says:

Thanks for the information. I’ve always wondered about the “making a book” process.

211. Sara R. says:

Thanks for the inside view of craft publishing!

212. Kathy says:

I always love to peek into the world of publishing. Thanks.

213. Harley says:

Thank you so much for sharing some “insider info” with us. You answered a lot of questions I had about book publishing. The do’s and don’ts were very helpful, and a little surprising! :)

214. Betsy M says:

Thanks for sharing! It is interesting to hear the other side of the books that I LOVE to read.

215. Valerie says:

Great information! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. :)

216. Clara says:

Thank you. It is so interesting to hear how all my favorite books come to be published.

217. Melisa says:

Very informative, thank you!

218. Heidi Messer says:

What a lovely interview, thanks for sharing your story!

219. Carol says:

I wish I could have so much fun as you do with your job. Thank you for all the information about the process to publish a book, it was very interesting.

220. Michelle says:

I bookmarked this page. My head is swimming with ideas. I especially loved the top ’11’ tips. I really liked the idea of a group project book. I was wondering about Canadian authors. Do you only publish American authors or could there be Canadian authors considered for book deals. I ask because the internet has no borders and I was wondering if your search was limited to the U.S.
    Thanks for such a great interview.

221. Shawn says:

Thank you. That was very interesting to read on many levels.

222. lorchick says:

that sounds like an amazing job.
    And I am so in love with the sign for the furniture store!!!! That’s awesome and hilarious and adorable all rolled into one. Definitely an attention-grabber.
    I’m also glad for the information on submitting a crafting book to a publisher. I fall under the ‘not right now but maybe later’ category, as i just love teaching people new techniques, and it’s good to know what a publisher is looking for.

223. Katie says:

Great resource. I don’t think I’d ever be skilled enough to publish a book, but it’s nice to dream.

224. Katie says:

Thank you for this interview; it was very informative and inspiring!

225. Jessica says:

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us and giving us an “insiders” perspective of your industry.

226. alice says:

Thank you for this wonderful interview! I always thought that publishing a book would be so out there… this article makes it seems very plausible. It’s exciting to think that anyone can do it. :)

227. Jigna says:

Thanks for such an enlightening article. It’s interesting to find out a bit about what goes on behind-the-scenes.

A question for you – what sort of amount would the author get from the retail price? I understand that’s it’s not enough to get rich on and there are plenty of other people who deserve a share, but I’m curious to know.

228. Karen M says:

Thanks for the tips! And congratulations on your success!

229. Johanna says:

This was such in interesting interview to read, especially because I´m working in book publishing as well, but never did textbooks. Thanks for the insight!

230. Jeanne says:

What a great interview! Thanks for the helpful information and best of luck in the future.

231. Miya Sohoza says:

Thanks for the great tips and info! Great interview! Yay!

232. Danielle says:

You do have the perfect job! Thanks for the info!

233. Dee says:

What a fascinating and motivating interview. You make it seem possible…

234. Celeste says:

Very informative. Thanks!

235. Tina says:

Thanks for the great advice. The part about being a good teacher struck a chord. I’m considering becoming a certified teacher through the NQA. I’ll file this away for future reference.

236. Laura says:

Fantastic advice, thanks! Are most of the crafters/writers who approach you full-time teachers/crafters/etc, or do you see a lot of hobbyists with good materials as well? I am a full-time corporate employee and a part-time quilter. I’d like to do more with my quilting but I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to devote to teaching and blogging after working a full day.

237. Emily S says:

What a great interview – thanks for answering a lot of questions!

238. Monica Gee says:

I work at a publisher and still learned a lot from this interview! Thanks for sharing!

239. holly says:

very interesting and very informative interview.

240. Jane says:

I’m always fascinated with how the quilting world keeps finding interesting people and subjects to write about… keep it up… I have yet to find a quilting book I didn’t like! One book I would like to see written… would be on using nontraditional fabrics in quilting… linen, silk, etc. and exactly what are the advantages and disadvantages. Have found some info on this on the web, but would love it all in one place. SMS… love your new fabrics!

241. annie says:

The book, Foolproof Machine Quilting sounds like something I would love to have. Please enter my name in your drawing.
    ~a

242. Dawn says:

Thanks for sharing. The info is fantastic!

243. Rachel says:

Wow! Thanks for the the good information. I was surprise by the level of honesty. I guess I always thought that you need to know somebody in the business to get this kind of information. An article from an author about the process of creating a book would be great information, like what does the publisher do and what does the author need to do.

244. Kara says:

great publisher…I have so many of your books! Would love to see more books about the creative process of quilting and other arts…

245. kira says:

I could never imagine being talented or creative enough to come up with my own book, but I have been curious about the people who do. Thanks for sharing the “inside” information! :)

246. Annmarie says:

Thanks for doing the interview! It was really interesting to read. I know I would like to see more sewing for children books- especially for boys! One book full of wonderful ideas and a few patterns for boys would be fantastic. :)

247. Debbie Goodrich says:

Sounds like you have a great job. Thanks for all the information.

248. Mollye says:

This is such an inspiring, informative article. How did you get into this field?

249. Meredith says:

Everything sounds so interesting. I think I’d love Suzannes job!

250. Rita says:

Thanks so much! I don’t know about writing a book right now, but your job sure sounds enviable!

251. Camdy says:

Wow – you make the idea of a book so less scary! Although I’ve never wanted to write a book, you may have planted a teeny tiny seed! Thanks!

252. Stacey says:

Wow! What a helpful interview! Thank you so much for all your tips and advice:)

253. Lorrie says:

What a great interview! I’ve done some freelance writing and it’s a tough field. My dream is to publish a book and Susanne’s information is a great resource. I’m going to save the interview to a file folder for reference.

Lorrie

254. Kate says:

This is some great stuff, while I don’t ever see myself writing a book it was great to read the tips and learn more about the process. You really do have a dream job! Amazing!

255. Jen says:

great info! Thanks!

256. Amanda says:

What a cool job. I liked that you let us know that collaborating projects are good. There’s has got to be a few groups out there that have ideas worth publishing!

257. Casey says:

great article!

258. Dani says:

Thanks for such an informative interview, Suzanne! I especially liked the suggestion of collaborating with people; I often find that those are the types of books I buy for myself as the projects are so diverse. Thanks again! :)

259. Sara says:

Great interview…I was really impressed by how you began your career at C&T publishing. Found your hints about what it takes to be published really interesting…

260. Carrie S says:

this was really informational and inspiring, thanks so much!

261. Deb says:

Thank you for such an informative post. I would love to have a book published someday. I especially like the do’s and don’ts list. Thank you

262. Cindy Rutledge says:

I would love to publish a book some day and found the information in the interview very helpful. Thank you Sew Mama Sew for another great article/post. This is one of four sites I visit daily. I’ve found many great patterns and instructions as a result.

263. Anna Socrates says:

Hi, I have a few questions. How is the economic downturn influencing the types of projects you are lining up? Maybe you are looking for more books that use recycled materials in crafting, or how to repurpose and upcycle materials?
    Also do you connect with crafters and artists at craft shows, especially the new independent craft fairs, like Bizarre Bazaar in Boston or Crafty Bastards in D.C.? Often these feature crafters giving demos as well as selling wares. (I’m in the production side of textbook publishing, but our aquisitions team attends quite a few academic conferences to network with academics and meet potential new authors, so I am trying to think of equivalents in the craft world.)

264. marie beck says:

WOW WOW WOW!!!! You definitely have the best job ever! I need to persue something that makes me happier… Thanks for sharing your journey

265. Jennifer says:

I just read this from free “book” friday! This is an interesting interview and I am excited about this contest!

266. Annie says:

I absolutely love the color book. I think your company does very well in servicing a lot of different interests. Keep up the good work!

267. anita says:

What a great job! thank you so much for sharing a little bit about yourself and your wonderful job.

268. linda says:

I agree, you do have the most amazing job ever. Thanks for sharing your wonderful tips with us.

269. Ellen B says:

Enjoyed reading the interview. C&T books have been a great reference for my journey into quilting. Lucky Susanne to have such a dream job!

270. Ms. Fine says:

Thanks for the informative interview. I have a friend who had been trying to figure out if publishers would be interested in her patterns and so forth, so I pointed her to your link. She does amazing work but has zero web presence, which I think she has decided to work on first based on your comments. Thanks!

271. KT says:

Great info! It really gets me thinking!!!!

272. Ineke Platvoet says:

Wow, great article – what a job to get a book published.
    Never knew that!
    Hugs from Holland
    Ineke

273. Tricia says:

What a great interview ~ you have definitely made the process a lot less intimidating and it’s also fun to just know how it all works. Thanks for sharing it with us.

274. Danielle says:

This is is exciting! Thanks for following your dream and doing what you love! IT sure makes it seem a lot easier for the rest of us to do the same.

275. Amanda W says:

I love the tips for those of us with dreams of one day, yes one day, being able to get paid for what we love. Also the tips for how to get started if we aren’t quite ready yet. So thank you! Very helpful, and a bit inspiring.

276. claudia says:

This is great information about something I know very little about. I don’t know if I will ever write/develop a book but now I’m glad to have some info to work with or refer to if it does happen. Thanks!

277. Christina W says:

Thanks for such a comprehensive outline! It made me realize i still have a ways to go, but it is still a reasonable goal.

278. Limor says:

My favorite crafting books are always ones that have a story to go along with each of the projects. I love finding out how the author came up with the idea.

279. BethieB says:

I am so excited to see this!! I’ve always wanted to write a book, and now, a year and a half into being a self (and internet, lol) taught sewer, I’ve really been toying with the idea of writing something to help and inspire others. This is just the motivation I needed. I never knew you didn’t have to have the entire book written before submitting it, that’s an excellent tip and is easing some of the stress of coming up with an idea and putting it together. Thanks for the great info!

280. Carla says:

Very informative. Wish I had known this at least 10 years ago.

281. Wendy says:

Thanks for sharing! It seems like publishing is some mysterious world and that really was insightful.

282. Kim Gawrys says:

I feel lucky to have found this blog today, and then find this post of Q&A’s. I have been working with a friend who wants to publish a book. I am so excited to send her the link. I also have a little story that rolls around in my head- one day I hope to put on paper (if only there weren’t so many fun quilting projects I needed to do first!). Thanks for sharing all the information! Have a great weekend! Kim

283. Amy says:

thanks for sharing! you DO have the coolest job in the world!

284. Sara says:

Very interesting. My sisters and I would love to do a book one day, first we’ll have to come up with a good idea though ;-)

285. Robyn says:

Thanks for the terrific tips… lots to think about here!

286. Jennifer says:

thanks for the inspiration and the all the great tips! i’m a freelance illustrator/artist who’s taken some time off the last few years, but want to jump back into the scene (although my quilting seems to dominate my drafting table instead of my paper and pencil!!).

287. Shelley says:

Thanks for the great advice Susanne! Excellent post.

288. Rachel says:

That was very interesting and educational, thank you!

289. Karin says:

I was taking so many notes, I just decided to print the whole interview. Thank you for such a wonderful interview and invaluable information. :)

290. Corry O says:

This is a wonderful blog post. Very fascinating! Many of us wonder how bloggers and crafters make the leap into publishing.

291. Fiona says:

Thanks for sharing this!

292. Sally says:

Wow, what a terrific interview. I worked in publishing when I was fresh-out-of-college and I do miss it sometimes (I work in a geekier capacity now). How wonderful to have your dream job and to be so forthcoming in sharing goodies with the rest of us! Thank you!

293. Lorene says:

It’s so interesting to hear what it’s like to work in publishing. And you get to be creative too!

294. Stephanie says:

Thank you for the great article, Susanne. Are you currently seeing any growing trends in the craft or sewing world that you feel are underrepresented in published media – i.e. any sewing or craft guides or instructionals that would be expected to sell well, due to a high level of interest from crafters but a current lack of available guides?

295. Terri Moran says:

I really enjoyed your interview. There are great jobs in the world. It shows that you love what you do.

296. Keri says:

I really enjoyed the interview!!! Hope I get a chance to read one of those books!!

297. britt says:

That is some fantastic advice in the do/don’t section

298. v and co says:

i want a chance to win the book how lovely!

299. r0ssie says:

I often wonder why there aren’t more craft books that are just pictures. As a quilter, I don’t usually follow patterns, but love to look at lots and lots of pictures of other quilts, take what I like from them and then create a quilt without a pattern.

300. Kama says:

So nice to meet you and so nice that you would be having such a nice giveaway. I just started quilting and am currently in a beginners machine piecing class. It is so fun and I can’t wait to have my first quilt (for my 4 month old son) finished!!

301. Meredith says:

Thanks for all the great info!

302. Roxanne says:

Wow, it sounds like she really loves her job. It is great to have passionate people in positions like that,

303. Nancy says:

Wonderful information. Love your consignment shop sign!

304. Shaz says:

Thanks for the post! This was really eye-opening, and got me thinking about getting my crafting gal pals together, perhaps we’ll hatch an idea…:)

305. Leigh says:

Great interview! I am just starting to get into quilting, and I’ve enjoyed many of C&T’s books!

306. Mary says:

This is really interesting. I’ve looked into the publishing industry before, but not from the craft side. Thanks for the interview!

307. Bonnie says:

Wow! That was incredibly helpful information. thanks so much!

308. becky says:

This has always been one of my “deep and hidden” dreams.

Thanks for all the info. Your passion and creativity really comes through Susanne.

309. Dana says:

Bookmarked for that elusive someday… Thanks!

310. Gina says:

I have often wondered how the gifted crafty bloggers made the leap to publishing. You make it seem like a doable thing rather than just a crazy daydream. Thanks for the good information.

311. marielle says:

Definitely sounds like you enjoy your job which means more enjoyable craft books for me to enjoy as the end result.

312. DM says:

Great interview!

313. Emily S. says:

Thanks for the insight- it was quite interesting!!

314. Trina says:

this interview was fascinating – thanks!

315. Deb says:

A very interesting read! Thank you for the intereview.

316. Leslie Spies says:

This is quite inspirational. Makes me feel like little old me can accomplish great things!! I would love to know if anyone knows of a basic quilting books with lots of tips and tricks and varies ways of doing everything, not just one way. If not, I’d love to see a book like that. There’s too many books out there that just show one method and who’s to say it’ll work best for you??

317. Kat says:

Thanks for all the info Susanne. Very inspiring to say the least. I was wondering though…I’m in my last semester at college right now…do you have any advice on how to translate a passion for quilting/crafting into a career? In the future, when someone asks me what I do, I want to be able to say that I have the best job in the world too!

318. Whistlepea says:

I want her job.

319. Jenni says:

I didn’t realize how anyone could publish a book. I really enjoyed this interview. Thank you!

320. Stephanie Wehrman says:

What an exciting, fun job she has, and so kind of her to do the interview.

321. Paula says:

This is so very interesting. Thanks for the opportunity to see the “inside” info. Very helpful and inspiring.

322. Joanna says:

This was just fascinating. So much great information. Thank you for all your insights!

323. Sarah Bussey says:

Thank you so much for the interview! I buy so many of the craft and quilting books it’s wonderful to know about all the work that goes into them. Some of them seem so simple it makes me want to publish as well, but I guess that’s because the publisher and authors are so good it MAKES it look simple! Still, it’s a nice dream to have your passion in print to share with others. Thanks again for taking the time to give us “insider” information and something to aspire to.

324. Gina says:

Wonderful information. I have a friend who is just about ready to get her patterns in book form. I’m going to send her this link. Thanks for sharing!
    Gina

325. Susanna says:

What a fascinating world book publishing is. Thanks for illuminating a corner of it!!

326. craftytammie says:

That was an awesome interview! I doubt I will ever be creative enough for a whole book, but I liked the idea of getting a group of friends to contribute projects. thanks for the giveaway too, great prizes!

327. Sara says:

Wow, what a great interview! I loved hearing how the process works. You have a lot of great advice for those first time publishers. Thanks!

328. Sara DeGrace says:

There was so much good information in that post, I can’t think of a question to ask. It’s so nice to see that you love your job so much, Susanne. I have to admit, it sounds like a pretty good gig!

329. Jessica says:

i’m so jealous of your job!

330. Michelle Jadaa says:

very interesting!Thanks for sharing your insights.

331. This was fascinating. Suzanne does have a bomb diggety job! Maybe someone will be unearthed as a result of this interview.

332. jami lunn says:

great info! Thanks so much for the insight!

333. Karen says:

Thanks so much for giving us a window on the publishing world. As a craft book lover, it’s interesting to see what work goes into each book. Thanks for the beautiful and helpful books you company produces.

334. Evan says:

Wow, I was literally looking up this information last week! Thank you so much for all this information!

335. Courtney says:

I’m just thrilled to read this post! Thanks so much for sharing the behind-the-scenes story : )

336. Rachael says:

This was a great interview– much more thorough then I expected. Thank you!

337. andrea Braun says:

Fantastic. Great information!

338. emily says:

very informative thanks!

339. Rachel Piper says:

What an excellent amount of information! I’d like to know what inspires you the most in your life?
    RP

340. Amy Gray says:

What a great post! Full of information about an area of books that has always been a mystery to me. What sort of volume of proposals do you see in a year?

341. Lesli RIchards says:

Wow! I loved hearing about that process! Those books are absolutely beautiful!

342. Jen says:

Great info – and how wonderful to have a job you love so much!

343. Renee says:

Even though I am not intrested in writing a book or even having a business (I craft for fun), it is intresting to here how the process works.
    I love that books are there to help me, the hobbie crafter!!
    Thanks for an im=nformative interview!

Renee

344. Carrie says:

Very interesting interview about the behind the scenes process. Thanks!

345. Diane says:

Greatly enjoyed the interview! Thank you Susanne!
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Diane

346. Mrs. H. says:

Wow, thanks for all the incite and insider info.

347. Ginny Ritenour says:

There was soooo much awesome information in this interview! Thanks for the inspiration! :-)

348. Bethany says:

Thanks so much for the info. I love the give away, especially the machine quilting as I am intimidated by free motion quilting.

349. Southern Gal says:

No books to be published in my future, but I do appreciate the wealth of information in this article.

350. Christy says:

Wow! What a dream job. I am so happy for anyone that can find that in this lifetime. Thank you so much for the inspiration.

351. Shellie says:

WOW! Thanks for the great info! Amazing :)

352. Sandy says:

Great interview! Another peak into the quilting world and always something to learn. Thanks!

353. Anya T. says:

This is great info. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with the rest of us.

354. kathi says:

Great information and great ideas. Thanks.

355. Sarah says:

What a dream job! Thanks for sharing an insider’s look.

356. Feather says:

I am not a writer but I am a buyer. I hope that lots of cool books come from this, that I just have to have :) BTW I love the sign from your furnture business…I want to come look!

357. Anna says:

Thank you for you encouraging and very informative insight into the publication world. Maybe someday I will dare to go this route.

358. Definitely interesting! Always been curious about the publishing process!

359. Di says:

Thanks for all the great info!

360. Sara says:

wow – so very informative … i always wondered (jealously) how people actually went about getting a crafting book published … it sounds like SO much fun. Definitely a daunting task, but after having read your comments, it makes it seem much more attainable. Thanks!

361. This is a great interview with some fantastic tips and insight…thanks so much, Tam xo

362. Maree says:

Thankyou for such an Informative Interview…always Interesting to read how these companies work…I love writing on my Blog but that’s as far as it goes…sometimes I feel I have hidden talent…

363. Rebecca says:

I would love to publish a book, but I have so many irons in the fire… in the way of quilting (my first love), scrapbooking, knitting, etc. How would I choose just one? I guess I need to start coming up with quilt patterns or find friends with quilt patterns to get me started :)

364. Carrie says:

Thanks so much for this article! I’m in the process of having publishers review my (and my friend’s) craft book proposal, so this was great to read. Fingers crossed that someone likes it!

365. Sylvie says:

Thank you for all these informations. It was VERY interesting!

366. Stacey says:

def. gotta bookmark this. thanks for the info. wish I had time to write a book, with having 4 kids and all. maybe when they are older.

367. Lisa says:

Perfect, timely information, even for writers outside of the sewing or crafting world. Thank you!

368. meri says:

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. I’ve never thought about publishing a book but….who knows??? :)

369. Susan B Crosier says:

Thanks for the info……the best news here is that the “little” guy can make it. This is exactly what the economy needs ……..more small business……thanks for sharing……

370. Beth says:

Susanne, what are some of your favorite instructional craft/textile books (both C&T and beyond). What books are you really proud of acquiring, or were a lot of fun to work on?

Beth

371. Kim says:

Thanks so much for the wonderful advice. It sounds like you have the best job EVER! Any chance I can talk you into an early retirement? :-)

372. Stephanie Webb says:

Thank you for sharing all that. It answered a lot of my questions!

373. Karen South says:

Very interesting! Thanks for all information.

374. Emily says:

What a great interview. I have been curious for a while as to how my favorite bloggers moved into print.

375. Lisa says:

Wow! This is a neat interview. I am not looking to tackle it myself, but it was interesting to read. I am getting ready to attempt my first quilt and would love to win one of the giveaways!

Lisa

376. Emma says:

Wow, great information. I feel all inspired now, but think it may be a long time before I ever think of doing a book, but it is a thought!!!

377. Nadia says:

Hi, this was a great article, and I loved reading all the tips. Very inspirational. I have a question for Susanne: I work in the museums field, where there is a lot of concern about copyright of images. If someone wanted to publish a craft book, what kinds of copyright issues are there revolving around pictures that include, say, fabrics from certain designers? Would a publishing company help with that? Would the costs associated with getting the right to reproduce a fabric design be significant? (Might they lead to decisions not to use certain fabrics in the images?) I always wonder about that when I see beautiful quilting books.

This is also my entry for the free book contest, and if I won I’d be really glad to get the Foolproof Machine Quilting book!

Nadia.

378. Margaret says:

It does sound like the coolest job in the world. The one question I qant to ask is if she ever decides to leave can she put in a word for me, LOL. Margaret

379. Miss Crafty says:

I think 2009 will see crafting boom in the UK this Spring there’s the first ever Maker Faire in the UK and also UK DIY festival of events. Hopefully this will cascade to UK publishers realising the demand. *fingers crossed*

380. Heather says:

How wonderful!! Very excellent interview! Thank you

381. Thanks for sharing … it’s a big dream, but one that you’ve given hope to … it could be possible!

382. Mimi says:

I’m from Spain! I find this blog and i sucribe to the feed because it’s so interesting!!! Thanks for your blog! ^^

383. Sinje says:

Thank you for the great background-knowlledge! Even though I don’t feel like a potential author, it’s very interesting to know the do’s and don’t about writing a crafts book.

384. Lisa Boyer says:

Great information! Thanks for the “tutorial.”

385. Detti says:

Thank’s! It was a good interview!

386. Annie says:

Thanks for this – it was very interesting! I’m a long way off from thinking about publishing a book, but it’s always good to dream.

387. Victoria says:

Thanks for this wonderful post and a big “Thank You” to Susanne for this very helpful information! Truly appreciate your sharing this!

388. Diane Stephenson says:

Hi! Thank you for this “inside” information. ;) I always wondered about publishing this type of book, but always from afar. I couldn’t imagine that publishers would welcome proposals from brand new authors-in-hiding. This is great to know.
    Thank You!

389. Thank you Susanne and Beth for such an informative interview. C&T is such a class act in quilt book publishing and it is so helpful to have the information needed to work with them in the future. As a quilt designer and a certified quilt appraiser, I look forward to developing a quilt history book with them. Thank you for the inspiration and guidance.

390. gardenymph says:

Wow, thanks so much SMS and Susanne Woods! This is something that I have been wondering about and here you have gathered it all together for me.

391. Florence says:

What a fantastic & informative interview. Thank you. Such fantastic inspiration & encouragement for a potential book…or for a new career as an acquisitons editor – Susanne makes that sound almost as tempting an aspiration!

392. ayumills says:

oh my goodness!!
    Thanks soooooooo much for this great post and for Susanne who’s really given answers to what we wanted to know. Publishing a craft book is one of my dreams. It really gave me a hope to know after reading this. Now I feel like I should work harder toward my dream!!

393. maryanne says:

I would love to publish a book someday, thanks for the information!

394. Jodi says:

Thank you so much for this information! These are very helpful tips that I’m sure many bloggers will be interested in. Also,thanks for the encouragement and demystifying the “intimidation” factor of approaching publishers!

395. shaina says:

I would love to have my children’s books published. Even though you gave the advice from a craft book perspective, it still relates to my search to be published. Thank you!

396. beki says:

This is so interesting! Even though I’ve contributed to books, I really had no idea how it all happens.

397. Jane says:

An interesting informative article. You answered a lot of questions I have wondered about.

398. Leah says:

All of this information is wonderful! I loved the top 10, with the bonus. It is wonderful to hear from someone who loves their job so much. Thank you Susanne for sharing all of your expertise!
    I look forward to submitting a book proposal:)

399. Jane Bissell says:

This was very helpful. Thanks for sharing with us. Hopefully someday I will be able to put this information to good use.

400. pennydog says:

I approached publishers in the UK with my “Create Your Own Resin Jewellery” title, but it was thought that there was not a big enough market for it in the UK, despite having done market research. I HAVE decided to self-publish as I know it will sell, and registered myself as a publisher too, I just wish the UK publishing houses were as up to speed and on the pulse as the US ones as Suzanne seems to be.

401. Christine Bolin says:

Very interesting information. Thanks for the information.

402. SarahB says:

This is wonderful information! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

403. lizzy says:

I LOVE Susanne!!!

404. Katie says:

This sounds oh so interesting! I’m definitely going to come back and take time to read through it, thanks for what seems like a fantastic interview.

405. Jamie says:

This is wonderful information! My dream is to have a book someday. Thanks so much for sharing!

406. Very interesting! Thanks for the link!

-Sarah from Create Studio

407. *taking notes*

Thank you so much for this thorough and encouraging outline. I bet you’ve got a lot of people dreaming right now!

408. becky says:

this is fantastic. thanks for the heads up and some explanations.

409. Camille says:

Great article Susanne! Thanks for keeping all of us in the loop. You really do have a dream job!

410. andrea says:

This is so very interesting.A lot of great information.

411. supa says:

What a fantastic, informative post, Susanne. I think you shed light on a lot of information we crafters are hungry for — tips about developing craft books in particular, rather than generic info on book publishing. Thanks for that. I liked seeing the publishing staff photo, as well.

Any bloggers out there want to write a book? I feel suddenly inspired :)

412. Christina says:

Thank you for sharing all of this. This is something I was curious to know more about. It answered a lot of questions.