Doll Quilt Sew-Along, Part 4

on February 17 | in Doll Quilt Sew-Along, Sew-Alongs, Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 59 Comments

This is the final part of our Fat Quarter Doll Quilt Sew-Along project. Part 1 (cutting & piecing), Part 2 (embellishing & basting) and Part 3 (quilting) have all led you to today, when you’ll attach the binding to your quilt. Visit the Sew-Along area of the forum with any questions. Add pics along the way, either in the forum or in the Sew,Mama,Sew! photo pool.

From Alissa:
Welcome back to part 4, and the final step, of the doll quilt sew along. I hope that you’ve all had a good time making this little quilt! In this section we’ll make and attach the binding and then have a finished doll quilt.

FQMSA1.jpg

The finished doll quilt.

Part 4: Binding your quilt

First, square up your quilt, trimming right along the edge of the quilt top.

FQDQSA42.jpg

All squared away.

Next you will need to make your binding (unless you bought pre-made binding– in that case you can skip down to sewing on your binding.) In order to make your binding, check out this tutorial. It is very clear and gives you all the info you need!
Keep following the tutorial from Heather to sew on your binding. It is often recommended that you use your walking foot to sew it on, but on a project this small, a regular foot should work fine too.
To finish attaching the binding, you’ll need to sew the two ends of the binding to each other. When you are done, your binding will look like this on your quilt.
For your final step, you’ll spend a little quality time with the quilt while you hand stitch the binding down to the back of the quilt. Use a blind stitch and enjoy the fact that you are almost finished with your quilt!
When you reach the corners, take your time to fold them well and make your pretty mitered corners look nice.

Congratulations! You have a finished doll quilt. If it was your first quilt, now you know how to complete all the steps and maybe a bigger one is in your future? If it was your 50th quilt, well, I hope you enjoyed making it as much as the other 49.

FQDQSA48.jpg

Finished quilt, with a peek at the back.

Thanks so much for sewing along with me!

59 Responses to Doll Quilt Sew-Along, Part 4

1. Nancy says:

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! I want to make something very special for the little girls in our families and friends. I still have my doll quilt my Nanna had made for me and its so special to me. Thanks again for sharing.

2. Monique says:

Thank you, thank you! I have been wanting to make a doll quilt for so long, and was never satisfied with the directions I had found online, so never did it. This was fantastic! I am so proud of my ‘real’ quilt!!

3. Stephanie says:

Your tutorial is great. I love how my first quilt came out! It was a lot easier than I anticipated. I look forward to making another one!

4. Beth says:

What a great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I need to get my hands on a darning foot so I can give stippling a try…

5. Heather B says:

I’ve finally picked out my fabrics & will start cutting next week (I still have a few things to complete first!).

6. adrienne says:

Great tutorial sessions, Alissa! I think you broke down the steps into managable pieces. Also, thabk you for the binding links! =]

7. Katie L. says:

I finished my quilt yesterday! My first ever – thanks sooo much for this easy and not overwhelming tutorial! Mine’s not quite the doll quilt, since 3 years ago I started a different quilt, but only got as far as cutting half the pieces out! (it was right after my son was born and I hadn’t realized that baby=busy!) So, I finished that up…not perfect by any means, but I’m happy with my first try!

8. Ariane says:

I am currently working on a lap quilt, but it has been fun watching your tutorial.

9. Bethany says:

Binding…the step I fear the most. Hopefully I can utilize the info in this post to help ease my anxiety. Thanks for the tips!

10. maggie says:

Love this project. I haven’t been able to do it due to back problems that are really curtailing my sewing. I like your explanation for the mitered corners.I think I might be able to do those now….when I’m back to sewing.

11. JenniMac says:

I can not wait to start on this project! It’s so cute and I must learn to quilt.

12. Cathy says:

Hello! I just made the doll quilt. It was lot of fun! I will make few more and donate to little girls who are in need. But check out my daughter’s doll quilt http://holtgallery.wordpress.com/2009/02/15/doll-quilt/

13. jodie says:

I looked forward to the binding info since we started! Thanks!

14. Stephanie says:

This is so cute. I want to try it.

15. Kara says:

Binding is still tricky for me, thanks for the great photos and step by step. Wish me luck!

16. Thanks for this tutorial. I am sure I will use it in future.

17. Rose in Arizona says:

Love how it turned out. The pictures really help explain how to do the corners. Thanks for the lesson.

18. Elizabeth says:

I have my materials and everything and can’t wait to get started.

19. Pam says:

I struggle with analyzing my blind stitch–like tying off and keeping the stitches tight–any suggestions? I love the fabrics that you used!

20. Kristen says:

I finally bought fabric for this yesterday (I’m a newbie, I don’t have much of a stash yet :)) – now I just have to decide which ones to use for the back, binding, edging, etc. I had fun just cutting a few squares! Can’t wait to get a finished product.

21. Robyn says:

This was really fun! I liked the way it turned out! I posted pictures of mine on my blog.

22. Kate M. says:

Love how the kitty-cat toes coordinate with the fabrics. Doll quilt sew-along part 5 should be “removing the cat (and its hair) from your finished project.”

23. deb says:

Thank you , thank you. I actually tackled a small quilt, finished it, and gave it away to a thrilled new mom.

24. Donna says:

Ack! Step four is up . .I’m about to start step 2 . . .need to practice free motion on some scrap quilt sandwiches . . .

25. karen says:

that binding lesson from Heather Bailey is perfect…I always use it for binding my quilts!

26. Judy says:

Great tutorial. Thanks so much!

27. suzi says:

Love it. Great project.

28. Kathy says:

I love the binding. it’s so relaxing, and it means the quilt is finished !

29. Helena says:

Got ours cut out my daughter and I just need to start sewing. Cool small project.

30. Stacy says:

You make it look so easy and it is done so neatly!

31. Karen says:

Thanks for the tutorial. When I feel brave enough to make a quilt I’ll definitely start with this one : )

32. Barb says:

Beautiful!

33. Libby says:

Thank you for the tutorial. Lovely quilt.

34. Mal* says:

I have loved this series as I just completed my first doll quilt (in preparation for completing a baby quilt! Ulp!) so thank you for the tips and tricks.

Gorgeous quilt, in the end. Not that we’re surprised…

35. valerie says:

Boy I am far far behind. I haven’t even got started. I hope to start this next week though. I hope I can do it.

36. Tammy :) says:

I haven’t been photographing my projects much, but I know they would look like this- with cat feet in the pic!

37. elena says:

Thanks for sharing all this information with us. I will try to make my own doll quilt.
    Thanks again :)

Elena.

38. another amy says:

I had so much fun with this little project. Thanks for the inspiration. I think I may make a few more, playing with colors and scraps. :)

39. Jessica says:

Thanks for the tips!

40. Michelle says:

Handsewing the binding on the back of the quilt… my absolute *favorite* part! Great tutorial, love the very helpful, detailed photos. Thanks!

41. Baba says:

I loved all your directions on this doll quilt tutorial and it will make it so easy to get started on a bigger quit project. Nice Job!

42. Kara says:

This is such a cute project. I love the fabric choices, especially the owl fabric. Who makes it? Do you carry it in the shop?

43. Heather says:

thanks for t his fun. I didn’t try the stippling. . . just used a walking foot and did diagonals. I didn’t want to ruin it. I’ll try it on som e scraps, soon. Thanks for the step by step.

44. Lola Jo says:

This was so much fun! My daughter and I had a great time putting this together and she is very excited to have two new quilts for her dolls. Thanks for the great project!

45. Toby says:

Yea!

46. janet says:

binding is always my least favorite part of quilting. too bad its the last thing you need to do before its done! i do mine all by machine though, i don’t have the patience to hand stitch the back.

47. Shellyfish says:

…must…begin…doll…quilt…
    I really have no excuses any more, and I want to make one!

48. Suzy says:

Love the fabrics you chose.

49. alisha says:

Your quilt is lovely. I’m pretty excited to see my first quilt coming together as well. It has been a lot of fun!

50. lesley says:

oh, i definitely need to make one of these for my little girl. maybe a good first birthday gift, along with a little dolly and a cradle. so sweet!

51. Danielle says:

Thank you so much for all of the photos and instructions!!

52. Andrea says:

wow that is a lot of hand sewing who knew quilting was so hard!

53. Your quilt is so cute. I really wanted to make this project along with everyone but life got in the way. I’m looking forward to see what everyone came up with!

54. Miya says:

I’ve only just begun quilting, and I am so thankful that you have links for all the how tos and tutorials in these quilt alongs.
    Honestly binding is my arch nemesis. Hopefully one of these days I’ll get the hang of it. Wish me luck!

55. Katie says:

I love getting to that binding stage.

56. Anya T. says:

Thanks once again for a great tutorial!

57. Esther says:

This is great thank you! I chickened out of the stippling (I couldn’t work out how to attach the darning foot, but wanted to still get the quilting done) and went for rather retro squares!
    It turns out it’s the perfect size to replace a quilted top (that’s falling apart) of a cusion at my parent’s house – so it will be turned into a cushion, rather than left as a miniature quilt!
    It’s been a great first quilting project -thank you so much :-)

58. becky says:

Mitered corners always give me a headache!! But a project this size will be a good way to try again.

59. Thanks for the great project! I’ve had a wonderful time with it!