Doll Quilt Sew-Along Highlights

on March 4 | in Doll Quilt Sew-Along, Sew-Alongs, Sewing Inspiration | by | with 29 Comments

We had such fun with Alissa’s Fat Quarter Doll Quilt Sew-Along! You can still join along with Part 1: Cutting & Piecing, Part 2: Embellishing & Basting, Part 3: Quilting & Part 4: Binding. Some of us still have a few finishing touches on our quilts, and lots of quilts are already wrapped around favorite dolls. Here are some sew-along quilts we noticed in the forum and Sew,Mama,Sew! photo pool.

FCDQSA343.jpg

Robyn from More Coffee Please

This is Robyn’s first quilt! It’s already keeping a doll warm and cozy.

FCDQSA342.jpg

Beth from At the end of this row…

Beth writes that the quilts were a joy to make and her girls love them. Here’s a top view of one of the quilts.

FCDQSA347.jpg

Robyn from many different pots

So many people tried their hand at free-motion quilting with this project! Robyn writes, “I liked trying the loops around the border without being forced to commit to it for a large quilt. I also liked the small scale for trying out a color scheme that I wouldn’t have normally chosen!”

FCDQSA344.jpg

Amanda from modernAcorn

Amanda’s quilt is a work in progress. We love the fabrics and we also think it’s great that this will be Amanda’s first quilt too!

FCDQSA345.jpg

Sarah from Keeping Up with the Smiths

We really enjoyed seeing so many pictures of the doll quilts throughout the sew-along process. This picture from Sarah shows some great piecing in a back view of the quilt top. Here’s the other side.

FCDQSA341.jpg

Jennifer from Jennifer Ladd

We love the bright color in Jennifer’s quilt, the perfect size for her daughter’s doll!

FCDQSA346.jpg

Christie from skwirler

Christie made this quilt for her daughter’s Valentine’s gift. It’s Christie’s first quilt too and she’s ready to put the binding on.

Do you have a doll quilt in progress (or all done) to share? Comment today or visit this thread in the forum (where you can find more quilts!).

29 Responses to Doll Quilt Sew-Along Highlights

1. Jill Cooper says:

This is just my sort of my music, thank you! I’ll be back!

2. OH SO CUTE ADORABLE!!!!!

3. another amy says:

Thanks for the very fun little project. I also added a picture of mine here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31159787@N04/3329291468/in/pool-sewmamagroup

Already have more in the works!

4. Baba says:

I have made a couple full size quilts and will wait to do a doll quilt when my grand-daughters are just a bit older. They are still babies right now, but will appreciate it soon.

5. Carrie P. says:

They are all so great.

6. Kristin says:

Those are so cute!!! I just love these!!! I don’t have a girl, but maybe I can make a “cool” one for my son’s Star Wars action figures!…or maybe that wouldn’t be cool? LOL!

7. mandy says:

I loved all the quilts. I am just excited about starting quilting myself when I get through with Easter clothes! I will definitely use this tutorial to make a doll quilt first chance I get!

8. Bailey says:

I made a doll quilt too! It was also my first quilt ever. It’s quite obvious since none of the squares match up! Ah well. I had a great time making it and my two-year-old loves it to pieces. Thanks for the great step-by-step tutorial.

9. Sarah S says:

Thanks so much for this sew-a-long! This was my first one, and I think I’m hooked. I pieced the other side of my doll quilt and got it quilted. Here are some links to pics:

10. momawake says:

I really enjoyed this sew-along! I’ve done three of them with three to go. This one is the third one. http://wintersedgehome.blogspot.com/2009/03/quilt-for-josefina.html

11. Andrea Methvin says:

All are just adorable. I actually sewed along and made 3; one for my 9 year old daughter’s American Girls Doll, one for my son’s teddy bear, and one for me. It’s hanging in my sewing space and the colors just make me so happy! Congrats to everyone, who, if like me, this was your first quilt! It felt great to complete these!

12. Jocelyn says:

I so enjoy coming to this site and seeing all the creativity. Don’t have any little ones around, but these doll quilts are precious. Thanks for sharing/

Jocelyn

13. kristine hanson says:

this inspires me to make a doll quilt and pillow for a MOPS fundraiser, LOVE LOVE!!

14. Jodieth says:

Those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

15. Bean says:

these are fantastic!!

16. BethieB says:

Robyn’s bird is the cutest thing! I love all of these quilts, but that birdie’s caught my attention and won’t let it go. Jennifer’s colors are inspiring me to dig through my stash and Robyn’s has me looking for something to make a birdie out of too…maybe even a matching softie…oh, the possibilities. Guess I know what I’ll be doing the next few days!

17. Kama says:

I just finished my first quilt that I was following along with you guys. It doesn’t look the same because I did a zig zag, but I followed all of your posts in order to complete it–it really helped!!!

18. Sarah says:

I loved this projects. My daughter and I are about to add the finishing binding. It should be done this week. We are each making one. Some views of it are on my site:

As I said… Loved.Loved.Loved. this project. Thanks.

19. Kelli says:

Hey everyone! Your quilts are all SO beautiful! Great color schemes and great quilting. They look great!

20. Terriaw says:

This was a fun quilt-along! Made me feel nostalgic for my doll-playing days as a little girl. I just added a photo of my doll quilt in-progress to the flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/photos/terriaw/3330103825/

I still have to machine quilt it, which I should be able to finish this weekend.

21. Kathy says:

Sweet, sweet!

22. Amy Hodge says:

These are looking really lovely! Makes me wish I’d joined in!

23. Valerie says:

It’s so cool seeing all of these little masterpieces come together!

24. julia says:

So great!! Wish I’d played along….I do plan one eventually!!

25. Deborah Ocasio says:

These quilt are all so beautiful!! I love the colors used and the applique on Robyn’s . I think this is a great project for a 1st time quilter like me and to practice free motion quilting Thank you for sharing them with us

26. Debra says:

These are great. They would also make great pieces of art for the wall.

27. Becky says:

I missed out on this but it certainly looks like a great way to experiment with quilting and have a lovely and worthwhile takeaway. There are many gorgeous pieces here.

28. wendyvh says:

I love them all (particularly Sarah’s . . . great job!)

29. Kara says:

I am loving these quilts… I love to sew but have never made a quilt. I think I may be tempted to try a small one like this!