Stash Interview Highlights

on March 9 | in Polls + Surveys | by | with 21 Comments

Your stash interviews have been really interesting and informative. We love the pictures, the philosophy behind your stash, your strong opinions about ironing (!) and every glimpse into your creative spaces and materials. There were lots of beautiful, leaning towers of fabric and well-organized tubs. There were cheerful (expansive) working environments, cozy creative corners and hard-working kitchen tables.

FQMSIHBP2.jpg

Kim’s fabric storage cabinet via retro mama. She can’t choose a favorite fabric!

You have great ingenuity when it comes to where you stash your fabric! Kat has hers in a big tub under her dorm room bed. You have fabric on shelves, in a pink armoire (here are the open drawers), in library card catalogs, baskets, in bins and did you see this fabric buffet?

FQMSIHBP3.jpg

Sweet Jessie‘s fabric scrap storage system.

We loved the honest disarrays, posts in Portugese and sewing rooms with cushy chairs and a bathroom.

FQMSIHBP4.jpg

Darci from Stitches and Scissors started collecting a fabric stash four months ago
& just organized everything into tidy tubs and fabric boxes.

Laurie took the stash talk opportunity to share her new favorite fabrics: her own designs via Spoonflower. Lisa and Mary and many others were inspired to organize their stash. Elizabeth and Abby and many others dreamed of stashes like the bounty in Britex Fabrics in San Francisco and the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis. String quilts and Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilts are popular “stash busters,” though many of you have no desire to bust your collection any time soon! (Here are some good tutorials for both of those projects.)

FQMSIHBP1.jpg

String quilt blocks by Sandi from Piecemeal Quilts,
one of Sandi’s recent stash busting projects.

When do you say enough is enough? Answers ranged from “now” to “never.” Cheryl says, “I don’t!”

FQMSIHBP5.jpg

Don’t miss Kim’s great interview on True Up.
We love fabric in place of shirts in the armoire!

See more interviews in the comment links on the original post, and visit the Fabric Stash & Storage photo pool too.

21 Responses to Stash Interview Highlights

1. Sewing Room says:

very well designed and crafted array of sewing work

2. belula says:

Woowww…..I love all this fabrics!!!!….great colors

3. Thanks for linking to my blog!

4. Jen Walker says:

I am in love with this website. I never spend more than 30 seconds on a site and it has been 20 minutes. I love the designs, I want some!

5. Erin says:

Okay, maybe this will give me the nudge I need to finally organise my fabric stash (again!). I finally have it all sorted and then I get more fabric – I really have to stop!

I daydream about a specific sewing room like some of the featured people have. I tried to convince my brother to move out of his bedroom and live in the lounge room so I could use his room as a sewing room. But he didn’t go for it for some reason . . . lol

6. Darci says:

Thanks for using my picture!! I love everyone’s stashes, it is such great inspiration to buy more fabric and get better at organizing.

7. kerri says:

this is inspiring, mind-boggling and humbling. and enabling–i want to go buy more now. shriek! thanks for the tips on stash-busting. i color sorted 3 bags of tiny scraps that will now find a stringpieced home.

8. Kara says:

Beautiful! Those stashes rival fabric stores I’ve been to! We just moved to a smaller house and I’m so envious of the beautiful rooms and collections!

9. Jane Bissell says:

It has been so much fun to see how others deal with their stash. I will admit I have a bit of stash envy after seeing some of the pictures.

10. Christine Bolin says:

I am so jealous of all the pretty fabric. I haven’t been sewing long and don’t have piles of beautiful fabric. (I’m not really jealous because I may have just as many.)

11. Christine Bolin says:

I am so jealous of all the pretty fabric. I haven’t been sewing long and don’t have piles of beautiful fabric. (I’m really jealous because I may have just as many.)

12. Sachiko says:

Oh! I can’t show my sewing room to anybody….it is so disorganized and messy!! I loved reading all the interviews, they made me feel guilty but at the same time, I got some great ideas. Thank you for the great post.

13. sheri howard says:

Thanks for all the great ideas about a fabric stash. Using my scraps is my FAVORITE kind of sewing. Check out my quilt on my blog (Feb. 4, 2009) using scraps that was published in Apr/May issue of “Quilt”…I only bought fabric for the border. It is so satifying to me to use those little pieces…I LOVE making those string pieced blocks…I call it “making yardage!” Great blog!

14. Joan says:

Oh My GOSH! This is an excellent post. I can’t wait to read more Organization Ideas!!! Thanks for posting this.
    Have a great day.

15. naomig says:

This was the coolest string of posts… I loved it. I didn’t include mine, because I had family posts and other things going on, my blog isn’t specifically dedicated to sewing, so didn’t want to take away from my family’s airtime. :-) But I loved reading everyone’s posts, and got great ideas, and also realized I’m not strange for never wanting to bust my stash, or say no to fabric, which was nice to hear.

16. Karen says:

Is that a pic of scraps in a plastic hanging shoe thing? I LOVE that! I just got organized myself, but had to stash everything in bins I can’t really peek into. I miss the mess!

17. Pam says:

Love all the interviews and am so jealous of some of the stashes! :) Thanks, as always.

18. Mary says:

Eeek! You linked my blog in your post! That is so exciting! Thanks!!

19. Carrie P. says:

Love all the ideas to store stashes.

20. Rita says:

Oh my goodness, people have a lot of fabric! When I start to feel guilty for the fabric I’ve accumulated I will come back to these posts…and go shopping!

21. Lauren says:

I’ve loved reading all of these interviews! I’ve gotten some great organizational ideas and I also feel much less guilty after seeing that I’m not the only person with an occasional sprawling mess in the sewing room :-)