Swap Highlights & recent posts in the Forum

on March 11 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 43 Comments

Our swap was a rousing success with well over 400 participants! Thanks to everyone for getting packages off on time! Share your swap stories in the comments below (and/or point us to pictures too). Cheryl from The Stitchin’ Chicken shared this great picture of her swap goodies:

FQMSP091.jpg

Swap fabrics for Cheryl from The Stichin’ Chicken.

Ronit from two hippos and Dani from Kitt’s Krafts had fun too, and Alissa from Handmade by Alissa already used one of her new fat quarters as the lining in this beautiful purse:

FQMSP092.jpg

Alissa’s linen purse with a Fat Quarter Swap FQ lining!

Some people even arranged to exchange extra goodies through the swap, like Terri from Terri’s Notebook and Rebecca from Lula Dahl (and the Sew,Mama,Sew! shop).

FQMSP093.jpg

Terri was thrilled with her swap package from Rebecca.

The Sew,Mama,Sew! Forum has been fun lately too… Check out these recent threads:
How do you prepare for quilt binding?
Tips for adding ruffles to jeans
What do you do with half a yard?
Dress-making tips (just in time for Easter and Passover!)

FQMSP095.jpg

Meg’s new purse organizer.

Meg from Fashioned by Meg shared her (happy!) purse organizer in the forum, and Polly from Born Knitty just registered in the forum and shared her robot cushion (designed to soften Baby’s sitting efforts).

FQMSP096.jpg

Polly’s pillow solves a problem (and it’s cute!).

Amy from Amy a la Mode shared this camera case photo in the forum, and linked to her tutorial for the project too.

FQMSP094.jpg

Amy’s new camera case highlights some fun quilting lines.

There’s also a great Doll Quilt Sew-Along thread in the forum if, like some of us (ahem!), you just recently completed one doll quilt and have another in progress! Check it out…

43 Responses to Swap Highlights & recent posts in the Forum

1. Sinoshox says:

mm.. really like it.

2. christine says:

Finally posted most of mine. I still have one to photograph and post. I got some of the most beautiful fabric. As a first time swapper, I was so impressed. Only one person did not send a fat quarter. No worries though. Those that did send, really out did themselves. http://pinkpetunias.typepad.com

Thanks for hosting a great swap. As soon as I start using some of the fabric I will put some pics in the photo pool.

3. Carla says:

Great swap. Love all the fq’s I got. It was fun and I’m happy that no one fudged out.

4. Jenna says:

I loved my swap! Sew Mama Sew! should do more! Honest! Thanks, swap mates! I loved my fabrics! I was only in for one-(1)-swap but I still enjoyed it! Here’s a link to my fabrics: http://www.soccerprolover.blogspot.com .

5. Dorte says:

I received my four FQs and will definitely participate again, if you will bother to organize something like this again! :-)))
    Thanks for hosting such a nice and easy swap.

6. mary says:

I missed out on this swap, but reading all the fun comments makes me want to make sure I’m in on the next one! I just wanted to thank you for the link to the post in the forum about adding ruffles to jeans. I had just cut off a pair of my daughter’s jeans with a holey knee. Now their capris with a cute ruffle and a t-shirt appliqued to match. A brand new cute outfit in under an hour. THANKS for the inspiration!

7. LisaC says:

I really enjoyed the swap and have now received all my fabric. I wrote about it today and posted a picture.

8. BlueKitty says:

This was my first swap and I had a great time. Posted my goodies on my blog if you would like to see! http://www.bluekittyboutique.blogspot.com
    : )

9. TeaRoseHome says:

That sounds like so much fun! I missed this one, but I’ll be ready for the next one.

10. bonnie says:

this was my first swap, and i loved it. i would do one again. i love all 4 fq’s. nice fabric. i also had fun picking out fabric to send to my partners. thanks to everyone.

11. Kimberly says:

I had a great time with the swap. I received all 8 of my FQ and I hope everyone received all of mine. Two of the FQ I received coordinated beautifully so I made my mom a tea wallet and some matching bookmarks out of them for her birthday. Which she loved. Thank you so much to all of my partners!

12. Marilyn says:

I loved the purse organizer. I have been keeping my granddaughter and have not been able to sew much lately :(. Happy Friday!

13. Bree says:

This was my first ever swap and I enjoyed it so much! I have been hunting around for more to participate in! I received all of my fat quarters plus some extra goodies from one very generous swapper. You can see what I received on my blog at http://www.meandmy2guys.blogspot.com

14. michele m says:

had soo much fun and got such cute and different fabrics. thanks everyone and sms

15. Jeanne says:

Help, not about the swap but I am looking for a tutorial on making needle cases out of felted wool, does anyone know where there is a good one? Also other small projects for felted wool. TIA, Jeanne

16. margaret says:

Thank you to my swapping partners Sara, Britt, Jessica and Regina. I love the fabric and can’t wait to use it in a project. I’ll be posting pictures on my blog http://life-at-thistlegarden.blogspot.com/

Margaret

17. kristine hanson says:

I bet it was a lot of work on your end but it would be fun to do a swap every few months…maybe with a theme, maybe seasons or holidays or colors? I recieved all of my fat quarters, 3 of the 4 I received were good quality fabrics, all in all it was fun to get mail and fabric at that!

18. Kristin says:

I loved the swap! I have started quilt using all of the different fat quarters I received. Let’s do it again sometime!

19. nikkapotamus says:

I had a great swap group. I ended up with 3 fabrics that look BEAUTIFUL together, green and pink. I couldn’t believe what luck that was. And my 4th fabric was the cutest little snowmen print which I’ve added to my winter collection for next year’s sewing projects (or maybe this year’s if it ever stops snowing!)
    Thanks to my swap buddies! And thanks to you guys for hosting and putting together a great swap.

20. Debra says:

I have a great time with the swap. Not only the fabrics, but meeting all the wonderful people in the swap. Cheryl (stitchin chicken) was one of the people I had an exchange with. Another one touched my heart with a Jack Russell print. (I couldn’t help making something just for me)
    Thanks to all.
    Debra

21. Asma says:

Thanks to my swap buddies! Picture of my fat quarters here: http://empressasma.blogspot.com/2009/03/out-with-old.html

22. KZ says:

I hope to get in on the next one. It sounds like it was a ton of fun!

23. DebbieKL says:

Fun swap! I’ll definitely do it again. I swapped 8 and got all 8 in return. Some had nice notes in them or links to their blogs. I didn’t think about sending other fun things like buttons!
    I posted a photo of my fabrics too – http://oursideofthemountain.com/familyblog/

24. Sabra says:

I love, love, loved it!! So much fun. Each package was so carefully put together and accompanied by lovely notes. I can’t wait for the next one!!

25. Stacey says:

I missed this swap, but hope to make the next one!

26. Rebekah says:

I’ve really enjoyed all the new projects to try!

27. Mandy Court says:

I loved the swap! What fun to receive 8 new pieces of fabric in the mail. I’ll be participating again! I received the last of my 8 FQ yesterday and posted them on my blog at http://makccreations.blogspot.com/2009/03/treasures-from-all-over-north-america.html .

28. Miya says:

It was wonderful fun and has started a new swapping era for me! I’ve made new friends and received fabulous new fabric, am enjoying personal swaps and joining in other ones! I am addicted! I’m even hosting a little maker swap on my blog right now, hope you all will join in!
    Yay!

29. Cheryl says:

Thank you SMS for the mention above! I have met some great people, and I think that everyone would agree that it’s always fun to get surprises in the mail! I can’t wait for the next swap! Cheryl

30. Pam says:

I had a wonderful experience with the swap. I received all my FQ’s and on time, had a few extra’s added in (this was my first swap of any kind and didn’t know that was the normal – next time I will add a little something) and received a couple of nice notes. Because of the good experience, I am not registered for two other swaps. I can only hope they go as well. :) Thanks so much for organizing the swap. I will be posting pictures of what I recieved later today, as soon as the light is good to snap pictures. Stop by and check it out.

31. Christine Bolin says:

Very cool fabrics! I would love to waller in it.

32. Karin says:

It was a great swap – so much fun and every single FQ was precious and will be used for a special project. So many nice notes and packed with so much love. I still miss one FQ but never know how fast international snailmail is working. I hope all of mine have arrived – I know for sure about two

Thanks alot for organizing this swap!!!

33. Dot says:

Love all the fabrics I received along with the nice notes. Due to heavy project schedule I have not yet used them but have great ideas. I would certainly do this again.

34. Jacqui says:

I had a fabulous time with the swap too, thank you so much for doing all that hard work! I can see that there would be potential pitfalls with it, but I was so lucky and got all my fat quarters and met some really neat people to boot (including lovely Regan up above!). Many of them included little extras like more fabric, ribbons or buttons and that made opening up the envelopes even more exciting. I’m really looking forward to doing another swap! My blog post about the swap is here: http://hazelnutgirl.blogspot.com/2009/03/swaps.html

35. Dani says:

The swap was truly delightful. I can’t wait for another one. I participated in a double so I got eight different pieces of fabric. No two alike and none that I already had in my stash. I will post in my blog when I get a project made with any of them. Lots and lots of plans and ideas and so little time.
    Thanks again for having the swap! I LOVED it!
    =^..^=

36. I loved, loved, loved the swap! I want to do another one and swap ANYTHING. I have been bitten by the bug! Thank you so much SMS for making all of this — the shared creativity, the loving and encouraging advice, the making of new friends who also love to sew — possible. I am so glad I found this site! XOXO.

37. Lisa says:

I loved the fat quarter swap! Everyone seemed to put a lot of care into their packages, I got some extra goodies in some and some nice notes. I’m still yet to use the qtrs in projects, but it’ll happen soon! I posted about the swap and here’s the link:

38. Shannon says:

I participated in the 8 fat quarter swap and I sent all of mine, but I am still waiting for some in return. I will post pictures on my blog as soon as they all get here. I hope everyone follows through. It’s no fun when everyone doesn’t play fair. Don’t you agree?

39. valerie says:

I made some of your dish towels last night and had a ball. I also made pot holders to match using someone elses tutorial. I had so much fun and just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog. Did I tell you how much fun it was? Thanks for sharing.

40. Tiffany says:

I loved the fabrics I got from the swap! Unfortunately, I didn’t get them all. One person never sent the fabric. I lost their email address so I can’t ask them about it. I guess that is the inherent risk in swaps like this! :0 In happier news, I have started a purse with one fat quarter I got, and cut/sewn quilt blocks with another!

41. Heather says:

sounds fun! guess i should go over and check out the forum!!

42. Tara says:

neato cheeto

43. carrie says:

For the most part I enjoyed participating in the fat quarter swap but I did run into a few issues. How others mailed their packages. they stuck them in legal sized envelopes with regular postage – when going through the postage machine it “ate” the envelope and i received “packages” from the post office with ripped fabric and a note for postage due.

If we do this again next year I would highly suggest that if people are sending in legal envelopes to put them in baggies and take them directly to the post office so they can label them not to be put through the machine. Yes it will cost more but everyone will get their fabric in once piece and not have to pay postage due.