Board Member Introduction ~ Ashley

on July 16 | in Contributors | by | with 31 Comments

We’ve had such fun watching Ashley fall in love with sewing! It’s only been a little over a year since she “really got into sewing,” and what a year it’s been! Ashley from Film in the Fridge joins us as a new board member this week. A visit to Film in the Fridge always makes us eager to quilt, quilt, quilt. Be sure to check out Ashely’s 2009 Finished Quilts line-up in her right blog side-bar and her new shop. Ashley’s enthusiasm for sewing and love of fabric as a board member will make a fantastic addition to Sew,Mama,Sew! Welcome, Ashley!

SMS: How long have you been sewing?
Ashley: I recall my mom doing a lot of sewing when I was little, so I probably should be able to tell you that I grew up sewing. Unfortunately, I didn’t seem to take to it back then. My idea of sewing at that time was stapling fabric together, tying it around my dolls and calling it clothing. I wish I had a photo to share – you would really appreciate the progress I’ve made!

I really got into sewing a little over a year ago. At that time, I decided I wanted a market bag and I hadn’t been able to find one I liked enough. I borrowed a sewing machine and invited my mom over. She taught me how to use the machine and walked me through making the bag (although I think I did more watching than sewing!) I remember thinking that it was more difficult than it looked and that that was probably to be my one and only project. Little did I know how obsessed I’d become!

BMAshley709photo2.jpg

Kaleidoscope by Ashley

SMS: What do you enjoy about sewing? What are your favorite things to make?
Ashley: I think my favorite part of sewing is the creative aspect. I never considered myself a creative type, but sewing and quilting has made me realize that I actually am creative. Another aspect I love about sewing certainly has to be the fabric. I very quickly went from knowing almost nothing about fabric to being a bit of a fabric hoarder. I’m trying to be better, but it’s hard — there are so many wonderful fabrics out there!

While I do enjoy making the occasional bag, skirt or dress, my absolute favorite thing to sew is quilts. I made my first quilt about a year ago, and now I can’t seem to stop! I have such a long list of ideas I want to try out, and it just keeps getting longer. I don’t think I’ll ever have enough time to make all the quilts I’d like to make!

SMS: How do you find time to fit creativity (sewing and any other creative loves) into your life?
Ashley: I keep all my sewing supplies out on the dining room table, which recently has become sewing central. It’s nice to have everything out and ready so that I can easily sew for just a few minutes when I have the time. It’s also conveniently located right near the kitchen, so while my husband cooks, I can pretend that I’m taking part! He also does a lot of the cooking and cleaning so that I have more time for sewing.

SMS: Do you have a favorite sewing tip or skill that’s made things work better for you?
Ashley: When trying to decide on a quilt layout, I like to lay it out the way I think I like it, and then I take several digital photos of the layout. Somehow it’s much easier to see any problem areas when I look at the layout online. It’s an extra step, but one that I find quite helpful!

BMAshley709photo1.jpg

Sprinkling of Hexagons by Ashley

SMS: What’s a favorite thing you’ve made lately? Why?
Ashley: Ah, it’s so hard to pick a favorite! My favorite tends to be the latest quilt I’ve finished, so that makes my Sprinkling of Hexagons a current favorite. I love the berry colored solid paired with those lovely Heather Ross Far Far Away fabrics.

I also have a long list of top favorites, including my Second Time Around quilt, the Kaleidoscope quilt, and Patchwork Squares.

SMS: Can you tell us a little more about yourself?
Ashley: I currently live in Vermont with my husband of 6 months, Morgan. In addition to sewing, I also really enjoy photography, and in fact, my blog was originally intended to be a photo blog (hence the name!). I’ve liked being able to combine the two, and I can often be found trying to scout out new perfect locations for quilt photo shoots!

31 Responses to Board Member Introduction ~ Ashley

1. MaryAnn says:

Love your quilts – the colour choice is fabulous!

2. Jona says:

I am a huge fan of Ashley’s but I never realized she was new to sewing!!! What an amazing gift she obviously has!! Dang!

3. Lorrie says:

The random hexagon quilt is gorgeous – the rich solid background really makes the hexagons POP.

Lorrie

4. rachel says:

What beautiful quilts! I really like the bento box one and the hexagon quilt too! I love the vibrant colors!

5. Deb says:

i have been enjoying her blog for awhile now and look forward to her contributions on Sew Mama Sew!

6. Jane Swanson says:

Ashley is responsible for so much inspiration in my quilting life right now.
    I love her innovative approach to using contemporary fabrics, and she is one of the kindest and most generous people that I’ve ever met via the internet!
    Jane Swanson

7. Suzanne says:

Wow! I love her quilts!! Such an inspiration and absolutely stunning!

8. Megan says:

I have been following Ashley’s blog for a number of months. From South Africa I say “Congratulations” I love the modern quilts. To all the young american quilters I say that you are all an inspiration.

9. Megan Cockwell says:

Congrats Ashley. I have been following Ashley from South Africa and ….I love the modern quilts. Wish we had all those fabrics down here. I have to check up on her everyday and a few others,
    Crazy Mom Quilts and and…

10. Kelli says:

Welcome Ashley, love reading your blog…can’t wait to see what you’ve got up your creative sleeve next!!

11. jaybird says:

congrats ashley!! i’ve followed your blog for a while and love your work!

12. Kristin says:

The Kaleidoscope quilt is amazing!! I am off to her blog next.

13. welcome ashley. i enjoyed going to your blog. your quilts are amazing, especially only sewing for a year!

14. Leslie says:

Beautiful quilts!

15. Bethany says:

What a great blog! I love all of Ashley’s quilts, probably because I tend to choose the same types of colors. Bright, fun, and sunny!

16. Film in the Fridge is definitely an inspiration to me as a quilter, although sometimes I think “yikes, I have been doing this for nearly fifteen years, not only a little over one year, like Ashley, and look at what she is accomplishing.” And she has gotten me obsessed with tracking down hard-to-find fabrics…

17. Ann-Marie says:

Ashley is one of my FAVE quilters! I get so much inspiration from her quilts!!

18. Andi says:

Wow! Ashley’s quilts are beautiful! Her blog is a very inspiring place to be – I think I might work on one of my own quilts today! :)

19. Intaly Karlheim says:

Her quilts are so beautiful!! Congratulations!

20. Margie says:

Welcome Ashley wow you make such gorgeous quilts!! I’m in awe of your work.

21. Donna says:

Yay! More Ashley in my life is never a bad thing.

Welcome!

22. Virginia says:

Beautiful work! Now another new fun blog to follow! Thanks Ashley.

23. Molly says:

Wow!! The random hexagons are amazing and I love, love, love second time around. All your quilts are so beautiful and awe-inspiring that I really can’t pick a favorite.

24. Leah says:

I have been stalking, I mean following Ashley’s blog for awhile, and she gives me great inspiration to quilt! I have been frightened by the concept, and quite frankly didn’t like the ‘quilt -look’ until I saw some of the gorgeous creations Ashley has dreamed up. It is so exciting that she is now a part of Sew, Mama, Sew.

25. hannita says:

I love Ashley’s quilts. She has such an eye for color and continuity.

26. Bethany says:

I love the quilts! Sprinkling of Hexagons is really lovely!

27. What wonderful quilts, and I love the colors. They make me smile.

28. Anna says:

Congratulations Ashley! I have enjoyed keeping up with your blog. And they are right when they say that your blog inspires us to quilt, quilt, and quilt. I have picked the hobby back up after seeing your inspiring work. I look forward to reading and seeing more of your beautiful quilts!

29. Alissa says:

Yay! Ashley makes so many amazing quilts. She’s certain to bring lots to the table for SMS!

30. meg says:

I don’t think I’ve visited Ashley’s blog before, and now I think I could happily spend the whole morning looking through it (if only!). Such beautiful quilts!

31. Autumn says:

Hooray for Ashley…..she’s such an inspiration!