Well, with the exception of a few minor modifications, the new site is done! What do you think? When we started the process, I sent the designers an assortment of images of projects in the SMS photo pool that I loved. I wanted to give them some idea of the projects our customers and readers were doing as inspiration for the design. (I also told them that I was kind of into “Mimosa“.) My collection of favorite images had a good smattering of projects by Rashida, so I wasn’t too surprised when they used her Checkers Quilt as a jumping off point for the overall design. (The same project in different fabric was also on the cover of the August issue of Sew News!) Just to make sure, I contacted Rashida to make sure she didn’t mind and she gave it her stamp of approval. If you don’t already know and love Rashida’s work, you should check out her I Heart Linen blog. Her I Heart Patchwork book with Interweave Press is coming out soon too, which I am so excited about! I am obviously a big fan. Thank you for the inspiration, Rashida!
Structurally, we hope you’ll notice some big improvements:
- The Home Page is a launching point with some Quick Links, recent blog posts, and a featured project. And of course we kept our infamous clothesline with the most recent collections.
- Our overall goal was to have our three sites (shop, blog and forum), appear as one more-cohesive site. I hope we’ve achieved that with the tabs. You can navigate easily from the shop to the blog to the forum and back again.
- Your shopping cart is always in the top left, no matter which “site” you are on.
- The Contact link is always in the top left corner as well.
- Our social media links are in the bottom right corner, as well as on the Connect With Us page. You’ll also find a list of all our photo pools there.
- Our tutorials are all listed, with images, on the Tutorials page. (This page was built before Hand Sewing Month, so we have to go back in and add those. Soon!)
- You can read all about the SMS staff on the About Us page.
- We have advertising opportunities available on the blog. (Email me if you’d like information. [email protected])
Want to take a look around for a chance to win one of 2 $20 gift certificates to the shop? How about a little scavenger hunt? Send me your answers in an email ([email protected]) before Thursday, 9/24 and I’ll randomly select two people to win.
- Which SMS employee also runs a graphic design company with her husband?
- What is the first tutorial listed in the Kids section on the tutorial page?
- What is the Featured Tutorial on the Home Page?
- There is a News box on the front page of our Forum. It says “September is National (fill in the blank) Month…”
- How many photo pools do we have?
Please don’t post the answers in the comments. If you find any broken links, missing images, or other problems with the site, please let us know. Thank you!