Donate Your Scraps ~ Project Linus

on October 16 | in Sew Good (Charity Sewing) | by | with 14 Comments

Sometimes scraps can overwhelm. Even if you have a month of Scrap Buster projects to create it can feel really good to donate some of your fabric. We still feel great about our participation in the Iraqi Bundles of Love project! Many organizations will take your scraps and turn them into something beautiful… They might provide comfort for kids, art opportunities for your community, projects for local schoolchildren and much more. Please feel free to email us if your non-profit organization accepts fabric scraps and if you would like us to share more information on the blog ([email protected]).

Today we’re featuring Project Linus. They write:

Project Linus is a non-profit, national organization with local chapters across the United States. We have a two-fold mission statement, which reads:

· First, it is our mission to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.”

· Second, it is our mission to provide a rewarding and fun service opportunity for interested individuals and groups in local communities, for the benefit of children.

Since our founding we have delivered over 3,000,000 blankets to children in need, which averages out to over 600 blankets donated a day! We now have nearly 400 local chapters in every state. Read more about us at our website: www.projectlinus.org. Here you will find more information about us and our mission; listings of chapters in your area where you can donate blankets, materials, and/or your time; patterns you can use to make blankets and quilts; exclusive Project Linus fabric lines; items you can purchase from our online store to help make your blanket making easier and more enjoyable; and ways you can help us continue our mission by making monetary donations on a one-time or ongoing basis.

Find a local chapter through www.projectlinus.org and send scraps their way! Have you participated in your local Project Linus chapter? Do you donate materials, time, fabric or finished items to Project Linus or other organizations? Tell us all about it!

14 Responses to Donate Your Scraps ~ Project Linus

1. Julie says:

Project Linus is the most terrific organization. My son Mike, for his Boy Scout Eagle Project, work with our local chapter and make over 85 blankets to donate. He then hosted a second go around and make another 65. He was able to donate in person to a wee one that was sick in our local hospital and the look of the little boy and his mama was priceless and for Mike the feelings were amazing. Each blanket is made with love, lots and lots of love and when one is needed they are there. Thank you for sharing the idea.

2. Rebecca says:

I’m an active member of the Oak Park, Illinois chapter of Project Linus. I want to say THANKS for informing people about Project Linus. We accept donations of any type and size blanket, as well as supplies(fabric, batting, yarn, etc.) We donate to local hospitals, clinics, shelters, as well as to local children who have lost a parent in the war. If you live in the Chicagoland area, check us out:

3. Rebecca says:

I think this service is very touching. What a tender way to show love and kindness to a child.

4. Kim says:

Thanks ladies! When my daughter was 42 days old, she was hospitalized for several days and we received a Project Linus blanket for her. It was a very difficult time and although it seems small and perhaps impersonal to make a blanket not knowing who it is for, I felt like it was made just for her. Each time I see it I am reminded to be ever so thankful that she is completely healthy, something I too often take for granted with both my beautiful babies.

5. Andi says:

Project Linus is active in Canada too! Their website is: http://plcanada.cjb.net/

6. Ramona says:

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I’m thinking this may be a great service project for my confirmation class. Thanks for the link.

7. Amy says:

Project Linus is great! My triplets were born 8 weeks premature and spent some time in the NICU at a hospital nearly 2 hours from our home. It was a tough time for all of us, I had a 3 yr old at home that needed me too so it was hard to split my time. We received 3 beautiful quilts from PL and we love them dearly now that the girls are 2 years old they are strong and healthy and you’d never know they were 3 and 4 pound preemies. The blankets were a warm and thoughtful gift at a very scary time for us and I will never forget that. I sew but have not yet quilted, I am going to make some blankets to donate so that another family or child can feel the love that I felt. Thanks,
    Amy

8. Dena says:

After many miscarriages I was finding it hard to sew or do anything creative…and then the multitude of scraps beckoned me to the sewing room and I started sewing blocks of scraps. Soon the blocks were overwhelming their basket and I knew I needed to do something with them…that’s when I decided to make blankets for Project Linus. As I sewed, I thanked God for the healthy children I had and for the children who would be receiving my blankets…it became such a healing process.

Thank you for highlighting such a great organization!

9. FamilyNature says:

My daughter received a blanket when she was in the hospital at 2 months of age. I was so touched by this and we still have the blanket today. What a great idea.

10. sarah says:

Great idea!

11. PenguitoSmile says:

My grandmother heads a chapter of Project Linus…It is an AMAZING program…You don’t realize how such a small thing as a blanket can be such a large and meaningful object for someone else!!!To see the smile on a child’s face when they receive one of these blankets is a wonderful feeling knowing you have helped someone so much…
    Anyone who donates–THANK YOU!!!
    Your hard work is appreciated by the organization, the people within it and the people’s who lives it enriches!

12. Amber says:

So great – they even have a chapter where I live – thanks for the link!!

13. Myra says:

Good idea!

14. Somer says:

When my daughter was in the hospital for six months she received a blanket from Project Linus. It meant so much to me that four years later I helped in a drive to make blankets for our local chapter. It is a wonderful organization that brings a lot of comfort. Thanks for highlighting their work.