October 22 Scrap Buster ~ Tag Toys/Blankets

on October 22 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 30 Comments

Baby Taggy Toy from iwannabcreative

This tag toy was made with vintage scraps and linen. Here’s an easy tutorial and another, and here’s a cute variation. Just be sure to keep the loops very small and babies will love these!

DONT FORGET!: One day left to enter the Scrap Buster Tutorial Contest!

Win a Scrap Bag from Sew,Mama,Sew! Comment on any post this week for your chance to win one of two Scrap Bags from the shop.

Also: Enter the Scrap Buster Tutorial Contest today! 3 Winners will receive a $50 gift certificate to Sew,Mama,Sew!

30 Responses to October 22 Scrap Buster ~ Tag Toys/Blankets

1. Maryellen says:

This is very sweet, but a warning: babies and little children can get their fingers twisted up in the loops and cut off their circulation. This is why stuffed animals for babies have tags that are either cut or sewn flat. My pediatrician warned me about it. I’m surprised no other commenters mentioned it. Use only under supervision? :)

2. Ramona says:

Oh my gosh, I want a taggie monster. I’ve made monsters but never thought to put tags on them.

3. jaya says:

love the fall fabric. i guess i will make the crinkly version… thanks for linking to so many tutorials!

4. Tracey says:

I have a few friends expecting babies in the new year, and I think this is a great idea! Super quick and easy and fun!

I’m going to need more scraps just to make all these great ideas. I agree with Donna, I don’t want October to end!!

5. Chrissy Brooker says:

I will definitely be making one of these for my FIRST grandchild due April 3!!! Thanks for the idea.

6. Betsy M says:

I have three friends expecting. Thanks for the instructions on this!

7. Rachel says:

Such a cute idea – perfect for little hands who need little things to hold onto!

8. Tanya says:

I’d love to make one of these…maybe this afternoon.

9. JenRutherford says:

I love making these so it is nice to see some variations that I can try. Great for giving at baby showers or taking when you visit a new baby!

10. Donna Samuelson says:

these scrap busters have been great. I don’t want October to end!!

11. Suzanne says:

My sister just made one of these with a twist. She inserted a used baby wipes package so that it crinkles. Here’s her version:

12. katie says:

Perfect for the new grand-nephew who is on his way! Thanks for another great tutorial.

13. jessi says:

This is so cute! I am definitely going to make this for my baby girl.

14. Thanks everyone for lovely comments about my tag toy. So quick and easy to make. There are a few tutorials around that add plastic to the inside to make a great crinkly sound as well (which I didn’t to), such as this lovely one http://www.joyshope.com/2009/05/baby-crinkle-square-tutorial.html

15. Nikki says:

I just made one last night after completing small projects and having some scraps. Great minds think alike. I am loving all the projects for using up scraps. Thank you.

16. Jackie Davis says:

yeah! I’ve been wanting to make these for my friend who does physical therapy for very disabled kids. They could have their own! Thanks for the three awesome tutorials!!
    *hugs*
    Jackie Davis of FL
    Missionary in Guatemala

17. Tong says:

awww so very cute!

18. jennsquared says:

I love it! Already checked it out and was just gonna make one for my wee one!!! Thanks for sharing!

19. This is a very clever gift idea! I haven’t seen these before, thanks.

20. renee says:

too cute! I made my son a taggie toy with the scrap from his baby blanket but he never played with it. He only wanted the bobby tag!

21. Michelle says:

Cute idea. Nice use of scrap ribbon.

22. Kirsten says:

I love these, especially that little monster guy.

23. Jane says:

Wow the numbers of scrap tutes are mind-boggling. Thanks so much to everyone who contributed and the SMS for the great forum

24. Jenny says:

So sweet! I love the fabric!

25. Stacey C. says:

This is a great idea. I’ve been meaning to make one of these for my son–better do it before he gets too big!

26. Kaye Prince says:

Tags toys are so great for little hands and this variation is very cute!

27. Kolleen says:

I love this idea–never heard of it before! Thanks!

28. Julie says:

My son loves his tag lovie that I made. They are great to use scraps of ribbons from projects as well as leftover fabric.

29. Kadybug says:

I like the fall look to the blanket.

Thank you sewmama for also posting the other tutorials along with this one. I am in process of making one or two and had considered doing one using the minky material. The one tutorial had some great heads up for me when using minky.

30. Christina says:

I have been wanting to make one of these for my new niece/nephew, so this is perfect timing!