Of course, we’ve come to expect to love everything about Amanda Jean’s creativity and her blog, from her stunning array of quilts (look on her right sidebar under “Quilts Finished in 2009” to view quilt after gorgeous quilt…) to her generosity in sharing free tutorials. We’re all so lucky because Amanda Jean generously shares her Tiny Ticker Tape Quilt Tutorial here today. Enjoy!
- 16″ x20″ piece of each, white fabric & a print fabric
- 16″ x 20″ piece of batting
- assorted scraps** of various sizes. most of mine measure about 1″ x 2″
- 1/4 yard for binding
1. Make a quilt sandwich that consists of the white fabric on top, batting in the middle and a print for the bottom layer.
2. Baste your quilt sandwich. You can either spray baste or pin baste. I chose to use pins.
3. From your pile of scraps, chose any fabric scrap.
4. Using your walking foot, attach the first fabric scrap to the quilt sandwich, leaving about 1/2″ to 3/4″ from the outside edge. This will allow room for binding the quilt later.
I back stitch a bit at the beginning and the end of the seam.
5. Now the first patch is sewn on. The beauty of this quilt is that imperfections are ok-it is not fussy at all.
6. Continue adding scraps, working the pieces together like a puzzle, attaching each one with your walking foot.
7. Fill in the scraps until the white space is full.
8. Bind the quilt.
Yield, one 16″ x 20″ doll quilt.
**A few things to note about the scraps. I have a basket on my worktable that I have designated for small pieces (all measure less than 2.5″ square). I collect them as I cut for other projects. I do very little additional cutting of the fabrics for this quilt, I only trim a sliver here and there as needed. I like the random sizes of the scraps to dictate the layout of the quilt.
Win a Scrap Bag from Sew,Mama,Sew! Comment on any post this week for your chance to win one of two Scrap Bags from the shop.
Also: Don’t forget to vote for our Scrap Buster Contest winners! Polls stay open through Thursday…
» Sewing Tutorials + Patterns » Scrap Buster Project ~ Tiny Ticker...