WordPress Genius, Please Help!

on November 4 | in Etc... | by | with 18 Comments

Certainly among our brilliant readers there must be someone who can help us with our little (yet massively annoying) problem!

Many of you have already noticed (and written to me about) the way our blog displays in Firefox on a PC. When we get a large number of comments, at some point they just drop off and the comments and comment box below that point are not visible.  It’s like someone took an Exacto Knife to the bottom of our page. We haven’t reached this cursed number yet today (232 comments at the moment,) but we did yesterday and the day before and the day before that (over 300 comments each day.)

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  Or maybe you have a husband, sister, son or great-aunt Lucy who can help us?  We would be eternally grateful.  [email protected]

UPDATE: THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO COMMENTED OR EMAILED. THIS IS A FIREFOX BUG. THERE IS A SOLUTION, WHICH WE GOT TO WORK, BUT IT SLOWED PAGE LOAD SIGNIFICANTLY. IF YOU ARE USING FIREFOX AND CAN’T SEE THE COMMENT BOX, PLEASE TRY IE, CHROME OR ANOTHER BROWSER.

18 Responses to WordPress Genius, Please Help!

1. Then again, the opposite could be true. – When we played softball, I’d steal second base, feel guilty and go back. – Woody Allen Born 1935

2. I found this artricle through Ask, great blog

3. elektronik says:

Hi, Well this was definitely something new, I really liked it as I am new to this

4. kriswithmany says:

Any luck with it? Or still having issues?

5. juliecache says:

So that’s why I cannot leave a comment to qualify for Thursday’s giveaway!

6. My wife pointed me to this post. It looks like this is still an issue. Do you have someone working on it yet? If not, please let me know and I’ll see if I can be of assistance.

7. Meg says:

I say go to whoever you paid to design the blog, because this is something they need to fix if you specifically paid for them to code for wordpress.

8. Meagan says:

It’s not a Firefox issue per se, so contacting the Firefox guys won’t lead you to a solution. What it IS is that Firefox is interpreting your CSS in a strange way when the page gets to be too large (or rather, the designer put that code in to fix a bug likely in IE6, and Firefox is simply misunderstanding it). So you have a few choices to solve the problem. You can modify the CSS and remove the overflow:auto as mentioned above. Since the problem is caused by the gigantic page length, you could also choose to solve the problem by paginating the comment section (so that it only displays say 50 comments at a time, with a navigation bar below). The benefit to paginating the comments is that you leave the CSS untouched (which can be a good thing, as removing the overflow:auto could make the site look strange in other browsers such as IE6), but the drawback is that the comments section will not be one big list of all the comments (then again, this can be good for people still on dialup).

9. Penny Lynn says:

The guys and gals at Firefox are awesome..If you just go to the website and fill in a contact for help form, they will get back to you. A couple years ago they helped us with a problem and it must have to do with compatibility? I like what Chris up there says, lol, sounds like an expert, and I am not, lovely site, first time here. thanks.

10. Chris says:

Changing the content div’s overflow property to ‘hidden’ looks good in Firefox, but it’s likely set to ‘auto’ in the stylesheet to work around an IE6 rendering bug. Do you have metrics on what percentage of your viewership still uses IE6?

11. Kesha Thomas says:

My hubby is a WP genius! vintom.com

12. Crystal says:

It must be a husband thing…but mine just recommended looking at the css too.

13. Daniel says:

KV, the background get’s ‘screwy’ because of firebug… the Firefox in-browser css editors don’t play nice at all with the sites images. You would also notice a number of other images missing ;-) .

(BTW, I’m Tia’s husband)

14. KV says:

Just messed around w/ firebug and removed overflow:auto from your content div. The background got screwy, but the comments showed up.

15. Daniel says:

As you said, I agree it’s a firefox bug. In your screen.css file go to #content, if you remove the overflow:auto it displays correctly. I don’t think it would matter if you remove that line.

Daniel

16. Tia says:

I have spoken to my husband, and asked him to read the post :D

17. Sarah says:

My friend and co-worker is a WordPress Genius…I’ll ask him and get back to you!