Elizabeth’s Fabric Focus ~ Simple Party Clutch

on December 27 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 30 Comments

Our Simple Party Clutch brings us to the end of a very full & fantastic year of Elizabeth’s Fabric Focus. Each month we looked forward to Elizabeth’s pretty, innovative and approachable designs. Each month, without fail, Elizabeth delivered a project we wanted to make right away! Elizabeth’s Oh, Fransson! blog will undoubtedly be full of fun surprises, inspiring patterns, beautiful design and so much more in 2010. We’re also hoping she’ll still stop by from time to time to share her talents with us. Thank you, Elizabeth, for a great year of projects; we’re so excited to see what the future holds for you! Find Elizabeth’s PDF patterns in her Oh, Fransson! shop and visit Elizabeth at Oh, Fransson! in the new year.

Just to refresh your memory and to add to your “must make” list for 2010, take another look at Elizabeth’s Fabric Focus projects through the year. These are all free PDF patterns you can download and enjoy:

January ~ Sawtooth Stars
February ~ Ponytail Scarves
March ~ Pincushion Organizer
April ~ April Bags
May ~ Laptop Sleeve
June ~ Stack & Nest Quilted Blocks
July ~ Advent Calendar
August ~ Yo-Yos
September ~ Charm Squares Baby Quilt
October ~ Quick-Piece Tiny Squares
November ~ Laminated Fabric Recipe Cards & Recipe Folder

From Elizabeth: With New Years Eve fast approaching, I thought it seemed like a good time to make a little party purse.

EFF1227092.jpg title=

This one is a simple clutch with a convertible strap that can be folded in or out. Even better, most of the bag is made with a single fat quarter.

EFF1227093.jpg title=

I’ve used prints from Alexander Henry’s Lorenza fabric in the Sage colorway. I think they’re fantastic and fun prints for a party purse!

EFF1227094.jpg title=

Have you made a new party purse this year? Show it off in the Sew,Mama,Sew! photo pool.

EFF1227091.jpg title=

Download your Simple Party Clutch PDF pattern & tutorial today!

30 Responses to Elizabeth’s Fabric Focus ~ Simple Party Clutch

1. Jenn says:

I would also like to know tips for stitching the lining and topstitching the completed bag. I had a heck of a time getting this bag under the needle for that.

2. saddd says:

Great pattern. My only question is whether anyone has any tips on sewing the lining to the exterior. It is so difficult because the bag is so small and so stiff. I had a hell of time figuring out how to do this and make it look nice. It was also very difficult to sew the top stitch around the opening once the lining and exterior were sewn together. Any tips??

3. Andrea says:

I love this pattern! It was so easy and fun to make this bag. Thank you for sharing!

4. Darling says:

Hi! I love this and my friend wanted me to make it for her. I’m making it right now, and I think there is a mistake in the handle measurement. I think 1.5″ is to narrow and will not make a .75 wide handle if folded how you say. I’ve cut mine at 3″ and I think that will be perfect!

5. corinnea says:

This is a wonderful pattern. So easy and fun. A great idea for gifts!

6. Another lovely bag by Elizabeth! I just want to say thanks, Elizabeth, for all your wonderful projects that you so generously offer to us. And thanks, also, for the Mod Quilt-Along that got me started quilting. I really appreciate that. Husband? Probably not as much, since all I do anymore is sew or buy fabric! :)

Anyway, thanks a whole big bunch!

Susan

7. Denise says:

Thank you so much, these are so sweet. Your instructions make it so easy to understand, My sister has been begging me to make her one of these for a while now and I wasn’t sure if I could do it but with your tutorial it came out fantastic and I got it right the first time two thumbs up and thanks again!!!!!!

8. Elizabeth says:

Thank you, everyone! (And thank you Beth for such a nice post!)

For those of you who are having trouble downloading the pattern, it’s likely because you’re running an older version of Adobe Reader. You can download the most current version at adobe.com.

Amy, I’m happy to send you an e-mail. As a friendly reminder, my patterns/tutorials are copyright-protected and may not be distributed (including by e-mail) without my permission.

9. Barb Albury says:

Love, love, love this. It’s definitely on the top of my list once I can fight my way back into my sewing room. I may not even wait till I reorganize. Thanks!

10. Katie says:

I love this! I especially like that it only needs a fat quarter – there are so many pretty fabrics out there that I usually buy fat quarters to save money – this will be a great project to use one of them!

11. Kimberly says:

Just found this website last night and had to make this purse before going to bed. Love it! I just started sewing a few months ago and was able to follow the directions easily. Thank you Elizabeth. I can’t wait to try out more of your patterns!

12. Very cute clutch. Thanks for the tutorial.

13. Amber says:

Elizabeth’s projects are always amazing – I own a few of her patterns – and thanks to all of you for the great year here – amazing job!

14. suzi says:

Did anyone else have trouble opening the file? I downloaded but it said the file was damaged

15. SewLindaAnn says:

Wow, beautiful and simple. Love it!! Thanks!!

16. Loralynn says:

Darling! Thank you!

17. Java Jane says:

Amazingly well done tutorial. Gorgeous bag. Pure inspiration.

Jane

18. Monica says:

Here is something that I learned from “trial and error” recently. If your bag has some thickness to it (i.e., sewing across the bottom corners to create bag depth), then baste in the flap and strap before you try to figure out where the other part of the magnetic snap should go. I placed the second part of my snap too high on a messenger bag because I didn’t account for the depth of the bag – I would have known better if I had put the strap on before the snap!

19. So cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

20. Maeve says:

This is such a beautiful, simple clutch – and your use of fabric is gorgeous! I have downloaded the pdf and intend to get going on one soon – this would make great gifts for any woman of any age. Thanks so much for sharing!

21. Crafty says:

Love the fabric and love the design. And your instructions are so very clear. Would it be OK if I used a picture to link to your site from mine?

22. Wendy says:

Thank you for this nice and easy bag pattern! It’s beautiful!

23. Margie Bennett says:

Oh Thank yo so much! I love making bags & will make a few very soon for my neices!!

24. megan says:

Thank you so much for another fun idea, we still have one more Christmas to go and I still need one more gift, this will be it.

25. Mayya says:

Love, love making bags and this is such a great one
    Thanks Elizabeth!

26. ~Helena~ says:

Thanks for all the wonderful projects, they were awesome. This clutch is to cute.

27. Mary Anna says:

Absolutely fabulous! I wanted to make a clutch the other day out of a pair of old slacks, but I couldn’t find the motivation to get started! Elizabeth’s fabrics and tutorials are always that shot in the arm!!!

28. staci says:

This is so cute! I’m always fascinated by how perfect your stitching is – no matter how hard I try mine are never so nice. Thank you for another beautifully done tutorial!

29. Southern Gal says:

My daughter will love this! Thanks for the tutorial.