Your Handmade Holidays Tutorials

on December 22 | in Sewing Inspiration | by | with 37 Comments

Whether you’re finishing up some last-minute gifts or already looking ahead to a whole new year of sewing, enjoy these Handmade Holidays tutorials submitted by our readers!

spacer Newborn Wrap Dress from Carrie at this mama makes stuff
spacer Doll T-shirt from Laura at Betula’Loo
spacer Doll Pants from Laura at Betula’Loo
spacer Bible Cover from Amy at Park City Girl
spacer Stockings from Amy at Park City Girl
spacer Hair Straightener or Curling Iron Heat Travel Cozy at licking lollipops
spacer Women’s Wallet from Novita at Sew I do
“…Featuring two types of closure (tab and velcro/elastic and button). It also has zippered pouches, two full-width pockets, and 6 card pockets.”
spacer Spa Wrap from Anne at Film and Thread
spacer World Traveler Netbook Cozy from Anne at Film and Thread
spacer Fabric Zip-loc Baggies from Tracey at sew.simply.creative
spacer Fabric Bookmarks from Tracey at sew.simply.creative
spacer Swiffer Cover from Amber at Berlin’s Whimsy
spacer Christmas Tea Towels from Jacqui at Hazelnuts
spacer Let It Snow Scene from Melissa at Checkout Girl
spacer Partridge Ornament from Kim at retro mama
spacer Half Pillow from Christine at TheCuttingEdgeQuilt
spacer Coasters from Isa at ningiu
spacer Nursing Cover at TaDa! Creations
spacer Easy Cozy Slippers at A Bit of This and a Bit of That…
spacer Gift Bag at Mel’s Own Place
spacer Fabric Stickers from Mai at mairuru
spacer Used-Tights Snake from Amida at Journey into Unschooling
spacer Ticky Tacky Doll from Amida at Journey into Unschooling
spacer Jellyfish from Amida at Journey into Unschooling
spacer Soft Counting Book from Tara at Sew Tara
spacer Quilted Bowls from Geta at Geta’s Quilting Studio
“The possibilities are endless, after the first bowl I could not stop and I made another, then another…”
spacer Piece Wonderful Blocks with Stripe Fabrics from Geta at Geta’s Quilting Studio
spacer Free Motion Quilting Tips from Geta at Geta’s Quilting Studio
spacer Scripture Bag from Brandy at The Prudent Homemaker
spacer Poppy Seed Cake from Regan at Stitch In My Side
spacer Pretty Packaging from Candy at Candied Fabrics
“It’s a bag sewn out of stitch & tear interfacing. I’ll bet a bunch of SMS readers have this very same interfacing in their stash. It literally takes me less time to make a bag than to wrap a present with traditional paper, tape and ribbon (Note: it takes much longer to take the pix and write the tutorial however!).”
spacer Two-Layer Twirly Skirt with Ruffle from Melissa at The Polka Dot Chair
spacer Ribbon Embellished Christmas T-Shirt & Skirt from Melissa at The Polka Dot Chair
spacer Quilted “Name” Pillow from Melissa at The Polka Dot Chair
spacer Little Girls Patchwork Skirt from Melissa at The Polka Dot Chair
spacer Patchwork Diaper Bag from Melissa at The Polka Dot Chair
spacer Covered and Elastic Stretchy Headband from Melissa at The Polka Dot Chair
spacer Adult Pants to Kid Skirt from Beatrix at Kindershop Online
spacer Hot Pad from Kathy at Pretty Simple Stitches
spacer Remote Control Pillow from Julie at julie-k
spacer Simple Ruffled Apron from Zura at Sew Retro Chic!
spacer Quilted Stocking Ornament from Mary-Frances Main at Frequently Wrong but Never In Doubt
spacer Easy Scarf from Melissa Averinos of Yummy Goods
“I am offering a free pattern (my first tutorial!) from my new book, Small Stash Sewing! It’s a super easy scarf featuring silk and a fat quarter that would be perfect to whip up for some last minute holiday gifts. (Flannel, linen or fleece can be subbed for the silk, if you have it laying around!)”
spacer Face Pillow from Nathalia at Lia’s Space
spacer Felt Hair Clips from Jennifer at A Hoot and a Holler
“They would make a great holiday gift for little girls.”
spacer Sweater Mittens from Mary Jo at Five Green Acres
“It’s a very robust tutorial and pattern collection for making wonderfully-soft mittens from sweaters. Patterns cover infant to adult sizes, so there’s something for everyone here.”
spacer “Tutu-torial” from Susie at Flower Press
“It’s very simple and quick to make.”
spacer Pom Pom Pillow Cover at Prudent Baby
spacer Hanukkah Fleece Pom Pom Garland at Prudent Baby
spacer Hooded Baby Towel at Prudent Baby
spacer Sleep Mask at Prudent Baby
spacer Silky Baby Blanket at Prudent Baby
spacer Diaper for Dolls at Prudent Baby
spacer Ric-Rac Placemats & Napkins at Prudent Baby
spacer Child’s Tutu at Prudent Baby
spacer Baby Food Jar Pin Cushion at Prudent Baby
spacer Gift Tag Downloads for Handmade Presents at Prudent Baby
spacer Easy Mini Ruffled Purse from Stacy at Patchy Apple
spacer Easy Patchwork Scarf from Melissa at Max and Ellie
spacer Five Minute Gift Card Holder (right sidebar link) at Give It a Go
spacer Simple Zipper Closure Pillowcase from Come and See the Sietz
“These pillows only take about an hour to make so they are a great last-minute gift idea.”
spacer Figgy Christmas Quilt from Natalia at Piece N Quilt
spacer Tic Tac Baby Quilt from Natalia at Piece N Quilt
spacer The Chesney Skirt from Natalia at Piece N Quilt

Here’s a bunch of tutorials that wowed our readers. They weren’t sent in by the authors so we don’t necessarily have permission to post photos but you might just love them!:
Babushka-Style Soft Doll, Crossover-Back Baby Smock, Felt Sandwich, Reversible Placemat Covers, Linen Scarf, And: Thread Drawing Video submitted by Min, created by artist Kristin Loffer Theiss (scroll down to watch)
“Hey, I wanted to comment about the thread drawings you guys said you loved so much. My friend is an artist who does this and she has a video of her actually doing the sewing. It’s awesome. Go to http://kltworks.com and scroll down to the video to watch it. I think you’ll love it.”

Do you have a great, recent tutorial that we missed? Add a link in the comments! Happy sewing…

37 Responses to Your Handmade Holidays Tutorials

1. Sara says:

Wow! These are a wonderful Christmas gift! Thanks for all the sharing all the sewing love!

2. mara says:

I am blown away! WOW!!!!

3. another amy says:

Wow! I love this list!

Here is an easy graphic pillow made with felt:

4. Cheryl says:

Some really great ideas!

Here are my easy lined fleece mittens from scrap fabric:

5. rae says:

wow! your organizational skills are impressive! thanks for all the hard work you ladies do to bring us such great inspiration. the pictures are a great addition to the list of tutorials…very helpful. thanks for including my lantern! ;)

6. Emily says:

Thanks for including my tutorial. I’m amazed at all the other great ideas!!! I have a few people on my list who would love that Bible cover. And I can’t wait for my niece to get a couple years older so she can carry that “carry all” bag! Thanks so much for the complete list!!

7. Kristin says:

great list…thanks for including mine. wow, that thread drawing is incredible!

8. Joanna says:

Here’s my tutorial on making (felting) a wrist pincushion!

Perfect gift for any sewers:)

9. Lia says:

oooo these are wonderful tutos :) thanks for linking mine too :)

10. Trish says:

More ideas! Yey, you guys rock! x

11. What a great list! So many new projects to try out! I just made those flower hair clips for my daughter for Christmas, and they turned out so cute!

12. Kimberly says:

Great list!
    Just as an FYI, the picture for “Fabric Birdy from Jennifer at the prairie girl” is of the fabric travel highchair from this mama makes stuff. I assume that a fabric bird does not look the same as a travel high chair. ;)

13. Trisha says:

Thanks for all the great links. I found a few that I have to try.

I also have one I would like to add. If you want to make a super quick and easy, but great scarf check this one out

PS… I’m also giving one away, you have until 12/27 to enter.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

14. Melissa S says:

Oh yes! Check mine out at melissaslilaclane.blogspot.com

15. Amber says:

Awesome! There are some great ideas there. :)

16. melissa says:

oh my!! Thanks for the link!! You guys are the best!! I’ve been a fan since Handmade Holidays 08!
    Melissa

17. Lisa says:

Wow! I will be sewing from now until next Christmas there are so many great ideas!

18. Stacy T says:

So fun!! Thanks for compiling the list!

19. Stacy says:

What a great list! I’ve bookmarked about 10 of these cute ideas. Now I just need to find the time to actually do them…

20. Jo says:

This is so cool. I just love looking at all these tutorials it is so inspiring!

21. Paula says:

well, this gives me hours of reading to do!

22. You all are the best! Thanks for all the links.
    Best to you and yours this holiday!

23. Elizabeth says:

I’ve got the pattern and instructions on my blog for the felt kitties I put in the last Giveaway Day for anyone to use–they stitch up very quick! http://ordinaryisboring.typepad.com/ordinary_is_boring/projects-patterns.html

24. Kelli says:

Man! So many gift ideas! Wish I had this list a few months ago. Oh well – there’s always next year! :) Thanks!

25. Natalia says:

Thanks for linking to my tutorials! :)

26. Jennifer says:

Such a great selection! I can’t wait to try some of these. Thanks for sharing my hair clip!

27. Emilie Ahern says:

Here’s my tutorial on making a silhouette of your child.

28. Emily Dawn says:

Thanks so much for including mine! I’m semi-new to the bloging thing and that was really cool to see my tutorial up there!

29. Tayla B says:

What a great collection of tutorials! Now, if only I could choose just one to start with!

30. ~Helena~ says:

WOW! What a great list of ideas. Thanks.

31. Sarah Myers says:

Wonderful ideas. Thanks

32. Sylvie says:

Wow! Thank you very much for all these ideas!

33. Vicki K says:

Thank you for this wonderful gathering of projects – but even more thanks for posting them with photos! It makes it easier to go through and remember what you thought you saw :)

34. Love these! What a great idea for a roundup – everything looks fantastic.

I have a few holiday tutorials up –
    Pom-pom garland: http://www.onepearlbutton.com/2009/12/tutorial-pom-pom-garland.html
    Yarn-wrapped trees: http://www.onepearlbutton.com/2009/12/tutorial-yarn-wrapped-trees.html
    Ruffled scarf/wrap: http://www.onepearlbutton.com/2009/12/tutorial-easy-ruffled-scarfwrap.html

Happy holidays!

35. What a wonderful collection of projects! My head is swimming! I have a couple to add to the mix:

No-Sew Fabric Bunting: http://brightandblithe.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/no-sew-fabric-bunting/

Tea Tree Advent Calendar: http://brightandblithe.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/tea-tree-advent-calendar/

Wintry Votive:

Thanks again for all you do. This space is always full of inspiration.

36. Candy says:

Ooh! So many fun things to do! Thanks for including mine!