February 28 ~ Wedding Inspiration

on February 28 | in Celebrations, Sewing Inspiration | by | with 92 Comments

FTL1028.jpg title=

Wedding Dress by Julia, modeled by Elsita, The Hidden Seed

Elsita shows her friend’s wedding dress, designed by Julia, made with cotton fabric. Did you sew your wedding dress? Do you plan to?

Don’t miss out on Elsita’s The Hidden Seed. Much like her papercutting blog and her primary Elsa Mora blog, you’re sure to find inspiration and beauty, joy and the unexpected.

Comment in any post this week for your chance to win one of these great prizes: $15 gift certificate to Shey B; $15 Gift Certificate to Blessed Designs; $15 gift certificate to Galyan Girls; $15 gift certificate to Girly Girl Bags; $15 gift certificate to Sew,Mama,Sew! Take a look at the February “True Love” prize master list to see other great prizes we’ll be giving away this month.

92 Responses to February 28 ~ Wedding Inspiration

1. I purchased this dress to be the maid of honor in my best friends wedding. It arrived quickly, looked great, and was an awesome price. It would be hard to beat this great deal!

2. IowaHoodlum says:

What a beautiful dress! Yes, I am sewing my own dress, and I’m chronicling the adventure on my blog. It’s a great way to make a year’s worth of crafts out of the money that would otherwise have been spent on only a day’s worth of wear. And – I’ll get much higher quality fitting, fabric, and construction than I could have gotten in a store for the same amount of $$.

3. Ethan Grosz says:

Precisely advice that i has been hunting for. Very well put as well.

4. samatha says:

i made my wedding dress ( with alot of help from my very talented aunt). Looking back on it, I treasure that dress. Not just because I made it, but because making it with my aunt let us bond. 4 years later she passed away from cancer. now, when I look at the dress, I can’t help but think of all the love that went into it. I’ll cherish it forever.

5. forestgal says:

I would love to make my wedding dress…it seems like a somewhat daunting task, but knowing that others out there who have had success is comforting! Thank you for this post :)

6. jen says:

i got married last last and i made my wedding dress – it just seemed like the natural thing to do (for me). the funny thing is, it was probably the least amount of work and stress of any dress i’ve made so far. plus, unlike many things i’ve sewn, it turned out just how i wanted it to!

7. maggie says:

My wedding is in a month.. My dress is from a shop (a shorter bridesmaid dress in a brilliant turquoise), but I bought extra fabric in other colors from the dressmaker, so I can add my own little modifications to it to make it mine. I considered making the dress from scratch, but I have a lot of other stuff going on and decided it would add too much stress.

8. Julia says:

Goodness! I just noticed on my stats that I suddenly have had many more visitors to my blog and I figured out that they were coming from you! Thank you so much for posting this photo of my dress!! And, thank you to all your lovely readers who said nice things about the dress. I really appreciate it!

I, by the way, didn’t actually sew my own wedding dress, but I did design it. I’m just not good enough at sewing to handle and double-sided silk! I wish I could see photos of all the dresses that your readers described here.

Thanks again!!

9. angela says:

My mom and I made my dress- (my taste is far too expensive to buy what I wanted)- it was light milky coffee coloured lace and silk charmuese-I used a pattern- then altered the top- the hilarity of my mother and I trying to fashion a bra supportive enough was the best comedy- we ended up sewing in a purchsed bra-a blue printed one too!

10. Marcia W. says:

such a pretty dress

11. Rebecca says:

I am planning to make my own wedding dress because I am on an extreme budget. I love this one! I would not have thought to make it out of cotton… my grandmother’s was made out of eyelet and lovely, and I am anti-satin, but this one is a great inspiration.

12. Amy says:

how about that for white! how pretty..

13. Jodie says:

Beautiful dress! How amazing would it be to wear a homemade dress? Swooooon.

14. Sarah S says:

Wow, amazing!

15. Elaine says:

Lovely dress!

Thank you for posting this!!

16. Maya says:

This kind of a wedding dress is just the perfect thing which can afterwards be worn many times!

17. Barbara says:

Such a beautiful dress and photo! Perfect with the claen, simple lines.
    Barbara

18. Erin says:

I went to some super fancy stores and tried on gorgeous dresses that cost WAY more than I could afford. I found one I liked and described it to a seamstress. She made it out of some beautiful silk I had bought in Hong Kong. She only charged me about $100, and it was just what I had dreamed of! It was so fun to search out the fabric, the design, and go through the process of having it made.

19. Faith says:

Man, I wish I could have made my dress. I loved my dress, but I Wish I could have said that I made my dress. :) I wanted to make my bridesmaid dresses, but they told me no. I have to convince my sisters that I really can my bridesmaid dresses so I can spend $30 vs. $180 for their weddings. :D

20. Melinda R says:

I want to refashion my mother’s dress. It had lots of lace (married in 1977) so there’s lots to work with.

21. Kelli says:

Not on your life would I have tried to make my own dress because at the time I hadn’t sewn in a few years and it would have been a stressful thing with my Mom living 2 hours away. But I am envious of the girls who are good enough to do it. I know i would have gotten frustrated and wanted to quit. Maybe one day I’ll be good enough to make my daughter’s for her though… We shall see!

22. Ashley Ann says:

I love it! I wish I would have thought to try to make my own wedding dress. As is, I bought a cocktail dress on clearance. It was cheaper than the bridesmaid dress I had to buy for a friend’s wedding!

23. sherri s. says:

Soooo gorgeous. I’ve been married 25 years (Woo hoo) but had a very small wedding where I wore a white Liz Claiborne shirt dress. Not gorgeous like this, but it did its job nicely!

24. Linda says:

Just beautiful! I enjoyed reading everyone’s wedding gown story.

25. ~Helena~ says:

That dress is beautiful. I never even worn a dress on my wedding day. Blue jeans and t shirt to the Justice of the Peace. Looking back I should have dressed up, maybe one of these years for a anniversary I could make my own dress.

26. Barbara says:

the dress exudes quiet elegance, the background suggests total peacefulness and the model …stunning. This is eye candy in total perfection

27. Jennifer says:

i did make my wedding dress!! (ok..both of them…) the first time, it was silk satin from the train of my grandmother’s gown. yes, you read that right…i only used fabric from the train and my own had a chapel length train. the second wedding dress was much more “me” and what i’ve wanted since i was a little girl: red. i made it from bright red silk and used a 1953 pattern, complete with bright red crinoline and white embroidery and a beaded picked zipper (my touches).

the gown above is simple and beautiful. perfect for a spring wedding outside. maybe in a vineyard.

28. I was planning on sewing my own, but then I didn’t want a wedding so my mom made it instead. I was a fairy princess!

29. Kelly says:

I designed my wedding dress after looking at more wedding magazines than I care to think about, and my mom made it based on my sketch. She did an awesome job, and I got compliments all day long.

Like a few others, I knew I didn’t want what was available in stores – we went looking at the bridal boutiques but I didn’t fall in love with anything. We found the fabric at a local fabric warehouse, so it was super cheap. The dress cost less than $20 (not including labor, which happened to be free because it was my mom).

I highly recommend it. Could not be happier. (Made my own veil too, and flowers. Also easy to do and saved a ton of money.)

30. Christine says:

Love the dress!

31. Susie says:

I bought my dress, but did make 2 of my bridesmaid’s dresses and both my flower girl’s dresses. Since then I’ve made a flower girl dresses for both my daughters and made my friend’s wedding gown, her bridesmaid’s gown, and her flower girl’s as well. My friend was on a tight budget and was talking about “renting” a dress. I put a stop to that and told her I’d make it for her, since I wanted to give her a dress that she could keep and know it was only ever going to be hers. It turned out great, but it was incredibly nervewracking! If I ever make another wedding gown I’ll make sure I have a designated sewing room. I had to lay the material on the floor to cut it, as I had no table large enough. We had a 6m old baby crawling and a black lab in the house. PANIC!

32. Julia says:

What a gorgeous dress. I love it.

33. Chloe says:

I’m in the process of sewing my own wedding dress right now. It’s always been a big part of the whole “dream wedding” thing for me. After the wedding, I plan to dye it and wear it on special occasions.

34. Liz says:

that dress is GORGEOUS! i’m nowhere near getting married, but i love the idea of making your own wedding, including the dress.

35. amber says:

my grandmother sewed her college graduation dress and then added to it for her wedding and then my mom wore it for her wedding. it is such a beautiful and classic gown but sadly i am about five inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than either of them. i will have to check out the sites for some inspiration for sewing my own gown.

36. Freda says:

That is so pretty, I don’t think I could ever make my own wedding dress and be happy with it.

37. Angela says:

Here’s my wedding dress story: One of my coworkers offered to make my wedding dress and since I wanted a simple dress, I gratefully said “yes”. I didn’t really know that she didn’t have great sewing skills until the dress was completed (a week before the wedding). She couldn’t get it to fit well at the bust, the zipper was noticeably crooked and the seam on the beaded top was horribly puckered. There was no fixing the dress, and since she was coming to the wedding I went ahead and wore it. I had to remind myself that the dress wasn’t the most important part of the day!

38. Lisa says:

That is beautiful!

39. Kristi, there are whole sections of pattern for wedding dresses via the big four (Vogue, Butterick, McCalls, Simplicity). I used Vogue patterns for *ahem* noth of my weddings – a Vera Wang for my first marriage and a short fringy dress I just kinda winged off Vogue 8389 (now out of print… I lengthened it a couple inches & used the lace placement for View A for fringe placement lines). I got married by Elvis in Vegas the second time around… I wanted something funny and sexy. ;)

40. Karen Dodson says:

I WISH I had the talent to make my own wedding dress. I think they are the most gorgeous ones. Oh well…maybe I’ll have the talent by the time my daughter gets married. She’s 2 now, so that gives me about 20 years to get it perfected. Better get to working on it. LOL!

41. Mama Lusco says:

Beautiful!

42. Emily says:

Lovely dress! I really hope I’ll be brave enough to make my dress when the time comes. My future husband and I are waiting to finish grad school and hopefully I’ll have my garment sewing skills up to speed by then!

43. melissa q says:

thank you for this post and the link to elsita’s blog, very inspirational.

44. Rachel says:

I love this dress! Though there is no wedding in sight right now in my life I still love to look for ways that I could DIMyself when it comes…. Other girls dream of their dress and I dream of how I could wear one I’ve sewn…sigh

45. Michele C says:

I knew I HAD to make my wedding dress because I could make it. I wanted a Princess line dress from Saks, but I knew I would always regret it if I didn’t make my own dress. Nearly 22 years ago now and blogged here – http://calicodaisy.blogspot.com/2008/03/twenty-years-march-26-1988.html. Hand sewn pearls all over the lace. I loved it and still love it!

46. kbonikowsky says:

I sewed mine! Great idea and a great keepsake.

47. Amy says:

I did make my wedding dress! It was silk with a lace overlay bodice and covered buttons up the back. It was very simple but I loved it.

48. Palila says:

That dress is great! And would be a fun summery dress in other colors, too. (practice?)

49. Maya says:

Oh, wow! That is so beautiful.

50. Elsa is a wonderful person. I love all that she shares and creates!

51. Bean says:

gorgeous!! My sister made my dress, it made it a million times more special!! <3

52. Deece says:

Beautiful! It’s beautiful for a wedding, but I could see it as a summer evening dress – in white or other colors. Love it!

53. Angelina says:

Oh wow. That dress is so pretty!

54. Cristi says:

beautiful.

55. Southern Gal says:

We altered my wedding dress to make it into the dream dress for my daughter. It turned out great!

56. Mallory says:

Wow, that is so pretty! I would like that dress, in a different color than white, just for special events! So beautiful.

57. Chris says:

Stunning. I love the clean simple lines of this dress.

58. Liz B says:

I did make my own dress! I used silk dupioni and combined about three different patterns to get what I wanted, although it was a fairly simple silhouette in the end. I had it done a whole week before my wedding!

59. Elizabeth says:

I’m not getting married any time soon, but I would still love to wear that dress! It would be really pretty in other colors!

60. Serena says:

What an absolutely spectacular dress.

61. Kadybug says:

What an elegant dress!

62. Tricia says:

My mom made my wedding dress and did a lovely job, but I wish I had known more about fit and style back then… I might have chosen something like this!

63. Love the dress! If only I had been brave enough to sew my own dress…

64. Kathleen C. says:

this is a lovely dress and so individual in its style. I made my own wedding dress-back in 1971! Now it looks so young-girlish to me-what was I thinking?!

65. Christina Davis says:

wow, that’s really pretty!

66. Ramona says:

I made my wedding dress also. I used parts from two patterns and kind of blended them. I really enjoyed making it. I used the left over lace to use on a dress I made for my daughter. Both girls wore that dress. I hope to use the material from my dress for something special when my girls get married.

67. Melissa says:

How organic a cotton dress would be! So perfect for a summer wedding, especially.

68. leah says:

my sis-in-law made her wedding dress (and all her bridesmaid dresses) with her mom and they were SPECTACULAR. it was all white satin and red velvet renaissance-y with the boning and the flared sleeves and everything! nystraldjo at hotmail dot com

69. KarenLR says:

I made my own wedding gown back in 1979, and it was exactly how I wanted it to look. Thirty years later, I think the groom is even better than he was back then!

70. duff says:

Absolutely stunning! One might attend a wedding in this (in a different color!)

71. Mary Ann says:

I made my wedding dress when we were married close to 6 years ago now. I chose a two-piece simple style and it turned out really nice. It was special to be able to make my own!

72. Yasmin says:

Lovely dress – would be great for a beach wedding, like one commenter said.

73. wendy says:

I’m working on sewing my own wedding dress- I have another year left, so I’ve only started on the muslins. One nice thing is that it’s really hard to find wedding dresses with sleeves -which I just like the look of- in wedding dress stores. They’re full of strapless dresses, which are nowhere near as comfortable to wear! Thankfully there are tons of vintage wedding dress patterns with sleeves- I have pictures of a few of the vintage patterns I’ve bought on my blog.

74. Megan says:

I’m in the process of making my wedding dress right now. We’ve got three months to go. Hopefully I’m on my last muslin. Can’t wait for it to actually be done.

75. Steph says:

I love this dress – elegant, well-fitted, and nothing generic or cookie-cutter about it.

76. Abbi says:

I did make my own wedding dress. It was fun to put that time into something special like that.

77. I don’t have a wedding coming up, but I still want that dress for summer. Beautiful.

78. Cinnamon says:

Wow, that’s lovely. You could wear that dress anywhere in a different color and a shorter hemline.

79. Kelly says:

I didn’t make mine but it was definitely not a “standard wedding dress” and that made it even more special to me. If I’d been more into sewing at the time, I think I likely would have made it myself.

80. That is gorgeous! I did not make my own wedding dress, but have made a few flower girl dresses.

81. Tracy Lee says:

My mom is planning to make my dress – its fun to plan and not be constrained by what is available for purchase. I am looking forward to fabric shopping and want to make the dress as sustainable as possible with reused and eco-friendly fabrics.

82. Somer says:

I did make my own dress and I loved it. It made me so happy.

83. Peacockchic says:

I absolutely love Elsita’s blog. I have been following it for a year now and it never ceases to amaze. That wedding dress is gorgeous.

In response to Kristi, if you are truly interested in wedding patterns, Burda World of Fashion (currently known as Burdastyle magazine) offers at least 6 wedding patterns in their March issue every year. That might be a good place to start.

84. Delia says:

Wow, that’s amazing and probably cost-saving too! I wish I could do that.

85. Cami says:

That is so beautiful! My brother just got married and his new mother in law made the bride’s dress. It was stunning. I hope to have the skills someday so that if my daughter (assuming I have one) wanted me to make a dress for her, I could.

86. Beth Van says:

I sewed my own wedding dress and it was my favorite part of the whole wedding planning process! This a beautiful dress. If this dress were shortened it would be easy to re-wear this dress after the wedding.

87. kristi says:

Gorgeous dress!

88. Kristi says:

Are there any websites where you can buy wedding dress patterns? I’ve been looking all over and only found one where they price the patterns at $300 or more which is the cost of a off the rack dress! It’s frustrating to not have a place to get modern wedding dress patterns! Thanks!

89. jamie bender says:

now that’s a wedding on the beach kinda dress. beautiful :)

90. Megan says:

Beautiful! I need one…

91. alisha says:

Beautiful! Both the dress and the photo.

92. Tong says:

Very pretty! It would be so special to make your own dress on the special day!