Favorite Sewing Tips ~ Part Three

on May 27 | in Sewing + Quilting Tips | by | with 17 Comments

Here’s another post full of favorite sewing tips from readers… Did you learn something new?! Don’t miss Part One and Part Two. Feel free to add your favorite tip in the comments!

Jessica’s trash bowl has transformed her sewing, and she also shares tips for sewing knits without a serger at Cozy Notions.
Bonnie has a series of tips for hemming at Fishsticks and Fries.
Tiffany has a whole series of sewing-related tips and basics at Simply Modern Mom including posts on basic sewing tools & supplies, sewing machine parts and five general sewing tips.
Sandy from The 4Rs Ramblings shows you all of her favorite uses for the humble safety pin.
    Plus:

• When Charlene loses a pin or needle she turns the lights out, uses her flashlight and the flashlight always picks up the glint of the missing metal!
  • Indywriter writes, “Never be afraid to try something new, and sometimes it’s the doing that’s important, not the perfection (or imperfection) of the result.”
  • Rachel from Stitched in Color urges “When you don’t know what to do (what fabric, what pattern, what way to fix the huge mess you’ve made), do nothing…” Inspiration will come with time.
  • Diana uses her lint roller to pick up threads after she takes out a seam, and for threads on her ironing board.

June will be FULL of incredible sewing tips on the blog, all geared towards sewing clothes that fit!…

17 Responses to Favorite Sewing Tips ~ Part Three

1. I’m late to the party on this but I just discovered a new way of threading elastic that works for me – use a zip tie. I posted about it in my blog this morning!

2. Jessica says:

Thanks so much to everyone who has visited my blog via this post! So glad the trash bowl has been helpful, since I’ve been using it, I don’t know how I ever did without it!

3. Sallie says:

I read a sewing tip here about a lanyard for scissors and it inspired me to create a tutorial for my lanyard that I wear around my neck with my scissors whenever I am sewing. I posted it today on my blog.

4. Aileen says:

Did some quilting yesterday and used a trash bowl. It worked great. I used to tape a plastic bag to the edge of the table but the bowl is much easier and you can toss in stuff you’re not throwing away! Love it, thanks.

5. ~Helena~ says:

Thnaks for all the tips I been reading through them, they are great. Crafters are such wonderful people.

6. mrs.jp says:

how true!! when you don’t know what to do….WAIT!! I can’t count the times I’ve ended up so disappointed because I forced a project.

7. san says:

Wow, I am on your tips part 3! So excited, have been having a huge jump in traffic. I appreciate the opportunity, I continue to make SewMamaSew.com my go to place for tips and treasures!

Sandy of the 4RS

8. lisap says:

So many great ideas!! I have a scrap bowl, and i line it with a mini-quilt so that all the little snips of thread and fabric have something to cling to. After everything else is sorted out, I just give ita good shake

9. Sara says:

Yea! I love the sewing tips and am really looking forward to the next month of tips. How do you always know what I need SMS??

10. beth says:

I have just discovered your fab website, having been recommended it by a friend when I was feeling a bit in awe of my shiny new sewing machine a couple of weeks ago. I can see that I am going to be back visiting a lot! In celebration of discovering the wonderful new world of sewing I am hosting The Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap – if any lovely SewMamaSew readers would like to join in we would love to have you! Sign up here http://aspecialjourneyofmyown.blogspot.com/2010/05/join-great-big-stitched-postcard-swap.html
    and send some creative love around the world (and have some drop back through your door!)
    Thanks so much!
    Beth

11. Becky says:

I’ve really enjoyed all the tips … and picked up a few that are bound to make sewing life easier for me. Thanks for this discussion. Great stuff!

12. sewlindaann says:

Wow, thanks. This has been really helpful for me.

13. pam says:

Bonnie’s tip is not just on hemming, but she lists all sort of help for sewing knits neatly. Will come in handy with next month’s theme!

14. Ethne says:

I definetly need a scrap bowl

15. Katrina H says:

thanks again!

16. Spend the cash to buy good scissors. Buy cheap fabric, buy cheap thread, buy cheap patterns — but buy cheap scissors and you’ll curse the already dreadful process of cutting out your garments.

17. Rachel says:

Hey, thanks for including my tip! Next time I’ll contribute with a full post. These have been great tips!