Last call for your favorite sewing tips!

on May 24 | in Etc... | by | with 16 Comments

Don’t forget to tell us all about your favorite sewing tips! We’ll feature some of our favorite tips & posts later this week.

16 Responses to Last call for your favorite sewing tips!

1. Amy says:

Here is a something that I found handy for free motion quilting: http://duringquiettime.blogspot.com/2009/11/free-motion-presser-foot-tip.html

2. Gwen says:

I always used to misplace my seam ripper while I was sewing. My solution was to use sticky-back vecro. I wrapped the fuzzy side around the handle of the seam ripper and placed a small square of the opposite side to the front of my machine. When I need it I pull it off and when I’m done I just stick it back in place.

3. Lindsey says:

My favorite tip is to wet the eye of the needle, not your thread when threading a hand or machine needle that doesn’t have an auto threader. Wet the eye and it will wick the thread through every single time.

4. When sewing a tricky fabric try using a teflon foot, glides beautifully

5. Elizabeth says:

My favourite trick that I learned recently from a Singer sewing book is to use a shim for sewing over thicker seams. I used to get stuck at those seams, and sometimes end up with crooked seams or too-short stitches. Now I have a little piece of folded boxboard that I stick under the presser foot when those thick seams are coming up…and no more problems!

6. Jennie says:

View used clothing as fabric. Last fall/end of summer, I discovered LOTS of linen skirts/dresses for CHEAP at Goodwill/thrift stores, etc…. I bought them (often for .25) and have made many purses, aprons, linings, etc… out of them – avoiding the expense of 10.00 + a yard!

7. kathyh says:

This is one I learned from watching Sewing With Nancy.
    When making collars – of any type, cut the lower (facing) a tad smaller than the top piece. You will be cutting the collar top and the collar facing out separately. To do this, utilize your wax paper and with a normal pen/pencil, trace around the pattern piece, drawing about 1/16th inch smaller. The pen/pencil makes a line on the wax paper on which to cut out that is easy to see.

When you sew, you just match the outside edges together. The top piece will look a little poufy but when you turn and press, you will see that the top piece kinda rolls over the edge – making a really professional look.

The wax paper is still needed to trace out the interfacing pattern piece about a 1/16 inch (maybe 1/8 inch if you aren’t comfortable) larger than the sewing line. Then –you don’t need to trim the interfacing once you sew everything together (as much).

The wax paper method of tracing pieces works for applique as well.
    (I hope this reads clear).

8. Kirsten says:

One machine quilting technique that I started doing was to turn my sewing machine 45 degrees to the left when I am doing a meandering quilt stitch. I call it the ghetto longarm technique, lol. This way my right arm doesn’t get trapped and I can use so much more of my body to control the stitches (I also don’t use as many cuss words when I do it this way).

9. Andrea P. says:

My sewing tip is to use an iron at just about every step. It makes things easier to sew and can fix imperfections.

10. Rachel says:

Here what’s been most crucial to me: When you don’t know what to do (what fabric, what pattern, what way to fix the huge mess I’ve made), do nothing. Inspiratino will come if you give it time, and it’ll be fabulous, mama!

11. kimberj says:

I use butterfly clips from the office supply store to hold together thick or slippery fabrics when sewing. Its like having lots of extra hands :)

12. Shelley says:

Tie a long ribbon loop to your snips and hang them around your neck, this way they’re always handy!

13. Linda says:

I take a digital photo of my design wall when the quilt is finally planned, make a print, and keep it nearby when I am sewing so I remember where everything goes.

14. i reckon one of the best tips i know and it is when sewing boning in your corset’s use your quilting bar to aid you in precise channels!!!

15. Leslie says:

I come from the “old school” where a tracing wheel and tracing paper was used for darts, tucks, etc. Never like this and it was sometimes noticeable on the outside or a sheer garment. I now put pins straight through the dots on a dart, turn the pre-cut pattern piece with fabric attached over and stick pins through the other side where the initial pins are coming through. Carefully, unpin the pattern and mark each dot on the wrong side of the fabric with a disappearing ink marking pen. Remove pins and you are ready to sew. No damage to fabric or the pattern.