FFF Winners and Thoughts about Matchy-Matchy

on July 19 | in Contests & Giveaways | by | with 18 Comments

Many of you have strong opinions about matching clothes!  I had a feeling it would be one of those love it/hate it things.  Luckily, I have an alter ego, so I am in both the Love It and Hate It camps.  I actually have really warm memories about a dress that matched my mom’s.  I’ve also cringed with embarrassment for the 5 kids boarding a plane in their special matching travel outfits.  Some of you were dying to know, so here is what inspired the question.

I’m strolling through the pattern section of the shop, fixing images and stuff.  I come across this:

…and then this:

I start talking to myself:

Self:  Wow, I just noticed that the Colette Macaron Dress is like a grown-up version of the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress!  That would be cute to make matching dresses for me and The Girls.

Alter Ego:  That’s the worst idea you’ve had all year.

Self:  The Girls would like it. We would be like a team. Connected.

Alter Ego:  Team Corny.

Self:  I don’t trust you. I think I’ll ask a few hundred other people.

Alter Ego: What’s for lunch?

I was going to leave it at that, but then late last night a trackback came in.  Darla at Everyday Chaos had written a post about matchy-matchy which I think offers a perspective worth reading.  As she says on her About Us page, Everyday Chaos “documents my efforts to either buy clothes made by workers who are paid a living wage and work in adequate working conditions, to buy clothes used, or to make them myself. I offer links to resources, tutorials on how to make clothes for those who enjoy sewing, and updates on how to contribute to the fight to reform the garment industry in the United States.”  Here is one photo of her family.

When the participants are willing and the context is right, how could you not smile at these guys?

Somehow between 1:30 am when I contacted her and 8:30 am, Darla posted a Letter Tee Tutorial.  Make one or a whole set!

The winners of one yard of free fabric are Sarah, Asta, Jennifer, JWZ, Carolyn and Melissa.  Look for an email from us soon!

18 Responses to FFF Winners and Thoughts about Matchy-Matchy

1. Carolyn says:

I can’t believe I won this contest. First contest I ever won and the prize I just received today are beautiful. The colors everything. My children oohed and awed. My daughters want me to get going and sew them a dress.

2. Andrea says:

I’m not exactly a huge fan of matching clothes on kids but I make nearly all my girls’ clothes and they beg for matching outfits. I’ll do it as long as they love it. It really isn’t about me or how others might perceive them. I’m allowing them to have their own opinions and they love each other and want to match. I loved Darla’s perspective.

3. Betsy M says:

Ok, I just love the picture of the Dad and two kids up top there!! I bet those kids will remember those shirts when they grow up (and LOVE the fact that they matched Dad)!

4. Krystina says:

Okay those two patterns are not so similar that they are matchy-matchy. I say go for it!

5. Sylvie says:

What a coincidence, I am making matching dresses for me and my daughters this week.
    I found an old picture of me as a little girl and my mom with matching dresses in the 80’s, and I just wanted to do the same.
    I am using Heather Ross’s Mendocino Sundress pattern for me, and adapting the pattern for my girls. I have asked them if they agreed and my 5 years-old LOVE the idea (the youngest will be pleased for sure, but she doesn’t speak well yet)
    It will be our only matching outfit, but maybe not the last?!

6. julie otto says:

I REALLY don’t like matching outfits, but my daughter loves them. A compromise was found- matching jammies!

7. I HATE identially matching outfits on everyone. Unless you are on a sports team there is really no reason for it. Coordinating is OK, but should be used sparingly and for special occasions only. We make fun of grown couples that match their outfits. Really, it’s ridiculous.

When I was in middle school a friend of mine went out and bought the exact same BUM Equipment sweatshirt I had so that we could wear them on the same day and match. I told her she was crazy and I wasn’t ever going to do that. Everytime I wore that sweatshirt to school I would bring another one in case she was wearing hers. Just don’t do it. =]

8. craftytammie says:

I laughed when I read Katie’s comment – our rowdy boys (2 & 4) also get dressed in the brightest colors I can find when we go out! And I already voted in the YES to matching category – but it’s a coordinating look not an identical twin look that I like.

9. Linda says:

Love matching outfits on little ones, especially for photo-shoots!

10. BlondiKnits says:

When my 2-years-older sister started first grade, she reportedly asked my Mother, “Now that I’m in first grade, does Marti have to have a dress like everyone of mine?”

11. Natalie says:

I am actually a fan of matching but not looking identical so I think I am right in the middle of the two camps. I just think that it’s fun! Plus, it makes for good pictures! Matching and dressing identically are different to me though. It’s kinda like how Stacy and Clinton on What Not To Wear put interesting outfits together. All of the clothing everyone is wearing might not be a perfect match…but they “go” together.

12. Katie says:

I hate matchy-matchy! I never understood why people wanted to dress their kids in identical outfits! But now that I’m a mother of three rambunctious boys (ok, only two are so far, but I’m sure the baby will do his part to add to the chaos in a year or two), I do find myself putting them in their brightest shirts when we go out. Recently, that’s been the neon orange shirts they have (not matching graphics, but very close to the same color). It makes my life a LOT easier if I just have to look for one color in the crowd…

13. Lexi says:

I like the idea of matching little girls dresses, my mom always made them for me and my sisters. She would usually use the same fabric and three different patterns. I also like the idea of using the same pattern and three fabrics from the same line. Basically, really close coordination but not exact matching.

14. Melissa says:

Wonderful! Thank you! And that picture is too stinking cute! No matter what I or any of the other commenters said, those three seem to be enjoying matching!

15. Grace says:

I love matchy-matchy. I mean, I really, really LOVE it! I like true matching, and also the kind of matching where you use the same fabric in a different colorway and a slightly different pattern. My girls are 7 years apart in age and I still dress them matching when I can, despite the age difference.

16. Katrina says:

What cute t-shirts!

17. jennifer says:

that’s awesome, kristin. i am more of the non-matchy camp, but i really do like how those two dresses could be made to coordinate (if someone wanted to) and still be as unique as the wearers.
    (that said, my brother and i had matching mustard yellow blazers when we were kids – they were for special occasions. to this day, we refer to them our century 21 jackets.)

18. Darla says:

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for posting this and linking to my blog! I absolutely love seeing my boys up here on Sew, Mama, Sew! And congrats to the winners of the free fabric!