|This week we’re celebrating the release of Amy Butler’s newest book, Amy Butler’s Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags! We’ll share a project from the book, a video from Amy Butler, a review of the book and a surprise or two. Plus, every day you’ll have a chance to win a copy of Amy Butler’s Style Stitches. Today we’re kicking things off with a Super Style Bag Swap!|
Super Style Bag Swap Details
- You can sign up to swap a hand-crafted shoulder bag, handbag or clutch.
- We’ll assign swap partners based on type of bag you want to make/receive & shipping preferences.
- We’ll email your partner name/contact info by
October 1stOctober 2. (Edited to add: Sorry– Still emailing! You should hear from us by Saturday morning!)
- Once you have your partner’s contact information you’ll need to email your partner to confirm shipping addresses, style preferences and just to say, “Hello!”
- You must mail your swap bag by Monday, October 25th.
- We’ll publish a list of all participants and note when swap partners complete their swap.
- We have a Flickr group to post photos of your bag.
How Do I Sign Up?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, September 29th, Subject: Super Style Bag Swap
- Your name
- Blog name/URL (if applicable)
- Flickr photostream (if applicable)
- Your location
- Will you ship internationally?
- Which type of bag will you make: shoulder bag, handbag or clutch?
- Which type of bag would you like to receive: shoulder bag, handbag or clutch?
- Fabric designers, fabric collections or fabric styles you prefer and/or dislike. (For example, “I love Denyse Schmidt, Cosmo Cricket and Alexander Henry florals. I dislike novelties and batiks.”) We’ll assume this style will be reflected in both the bag you’ll make as well as the bag you’d like to receive.
- Would you be willing to be a swap Angel? That is, would you jump in for an extra swap if someone has to bow out or would you be willing to make an extra bag in case someone doesn’t follow through?
Questions & Answers
- Does the bag have to be made out of Amy Butler fabric or does it need to be made from a pattern in the new Amy Butler book?
No! We are just inspired by the beautiful bags in Amy’s book to host a swap!
- How do I know the swap will be “fair?”
We encourage you to do your very best work to create something you would love to receive, with beautiful fabrics (not the stuff gathering dust from summer garage sales, if you know what we mean?!). We’re also making note on the participant list on the blog when partners complete their end of the swap.
- What do I do if I can’t finish my bag?
If you have any pending events that might hinder your ability to participate in the swap, then please don’t sign up. If you have an emergency in the middle of the swap, please contact us as soon as possible and we’ll try to get an Angel to fill in for you.
- I’m not an advanced sewist. Can I still play?
Of course! Pick a pattern that suits your skill level, but also consider this an opportunity to stretch your skills a bit. Sewing for someone else might be just the motivation you need to really fine-tune some sewing and finishing skills that you might not be so particular about if you were making something for yourself. You might be surprised what you can do!
- Shoulder bag? Handbag? Clutch?
We would consider a shoulder bag to have straps long enough to be worn over your shoulder. A handbag, on the other hand, would have shorter cloth handles or wood or acrylic handles. (We concede that there is some overlap here. Sometimes handbags can be worn on your shoulder. You can clarify with your swap partner.) A clutch is a small bag that is usually carried in your hand. It might or might not have a frame. It might or might not have a small strap.
Need a great pattern?
We have tons of patterns for bags in every shape, size and style you can think of in both paper and PDF formats.
Win one of five copies of Amy Butler’s Style Stitches! Comment on any post this week. Today in the comments please give us a link to your favorite shoulder bag, handbag or clutch tutorial and/or tell us about your favorite bag pattern.
» Products » Join our Super Style Bag Swap!