Back by popular demand, once again we’re hosting… Giveaway Day! Mark your calendar for Monday, December 13th!
On Giveaway Day everyone with a shop or blog can give something away. We list all of the participants here to create a master list, and we leave the list up for several days to give readers a more relaxed browsing experience. We also provide some structure with categories and international shipping info. We get an overwhelming positive response each time we host Giveaway Day! It’s lots of fun if you win something and it’s also fun to give something away (and to have tons of new readers visit your site).
Here is some background about Giveaway Day, plus information on how to participate:
Why do it?
- Readers benefit because a) they get exposed to blogs with great ideas; b) they get directed to shops with wonderful items; c) they get the opportunity to win a cool handmade prize; d) they know exactly when to tune in! Participants benefit because a) they get new readers (many participants end up with hundreds of comments & visitors); b) they get potential shoppers/readers; c) they can experience the joy of giving something they’ve made to a virtual friend.
- Your giveaway item must be either handmade (for example: jewelry, bags, etc.), or something that can be used for making handmade gifts (for example: buttons, ribbons, etc.)
- You need to write a post about the item and ask visitors to comment on that post. This must be posted no later than 9 a.m. eastern on Monday, December 13th. We’re checking the links at 9 a.m. eastern and if there isn’t a giveaway post we will delete you from the list. You can post the night before if you want to be sure to remember!
- Decide how you want to choose the winner (random, best answer to a question, etc.).
- State in the post whether you’ll ship the item internationally.
- Leave your giveaway open until December 17. This gives plenty of time for people to visit you.
- Ship your item by December 20th, one week from Giveaway Day.
- Spread the word! Make December 13th a Giveaway Day everywhere! If you’d like, grab our button and link back to this post to let your readers know you’ll be participating. Here is the image url: http://www.sewmamasew.com/december2010/GiveawayDayButton.jpg and here is the link url: http://www.sewmamasew.com/?p=14170
- Make it easy for people to enter to win your giveaway. If there are multiple steps to enter (sign up to be a follower, tweet about it, etc.) you’ll likely scare some folks away who might otherwise stay, browse and come back!
- Keep your Giveaway Day post as your main entry for several days. If you post other things, just be sure to include a link at the top directing readers to your giveaway post. Again, you want to make it really easy for folks to visit.
- Include a picture of your giveaway in the post.
- Have fun!
- Want to participate? Email email@example.com (Subject: Giveaway Day) by Saturday, December 11th. Please include the following info:
- Blog or Shop URL (the URL where people will find your giveaway post)
- Blog or Shop name (the blog or shop name where people will find your giveaway post)
- Tell us your location and whether you’ll ship internationally
- Category for your giveaway (pick one): Handcrafted Item(s), Handcrafted Item(s)+Supplies/Materials, Sewing Supplies/Materials, Knitting Supplies/Materials
On Giveaway Day we’ll post a master list of participants on our blog divided into a series of three posts. Stop by to verify your information (check all three lists for your name first before freaking out!), explore other sites and try your luck at winning a great giveaway!