Organic Prepared for Dyeing (PFD) Fabric Test

on April 8 | in Products, Sewing + Quilting Tips, Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 8 Comments

Note: Our Natural Patchwork giveaway is open through Sunday night…

We have a new line of 100% Organic Cotton Solids from Robert Kaufman in the shop. The fabric is prepared-for-dyeing (PFD) and comes in a variety of weights and weaves, from voile and poplin to twill and canvas.

We asked Candy from Candied Fabrics to include the new fabrics in an Organic Prepared for Dyeing (PFD) Fabric Test to see how they react to dye and take on color. You can see the results of Candy’s test with the organic cotton solids at Candied Fabrics (Spoiler: She was “very happy with most of the color uptake!”).

Candy is an artist who dyes all of her own fabrics and creates amazing pieces from the fabric, ranging from three-dimensional works of art to art quilts and “everyday art”– silk scarves, journals, bags and more. You can learn more about Candy in her introduction. She’ll be back later this month with some dyeing tutorials so you can create your own perfect fabric!

8 Responses to Organic Prepared for Dyeing (PFD) Fabric Test

1. Seanna Lea says:

Ooh, I would love to do more dying. I’ve only dyed wool and silk yarn before (and my skin accidentally with food coloring or hair dye). I know the process is different for cottons, but haven’t gotten to experiment yet.

2. Candy says:

Thanks All, I’m looking forward to sharing more. Lisa – you’ve brought up a good point. It’s my most simple understanding that what makes the cotton organic is that it’s grown without toxic insecticides, pesticides and fertilizers and processed with only cornstarches and peroxides.

I think what you are referring to organic dyeing is more commonly termed “natural dyeing”, using pigments produced by plants and (non-human) animals to color cloth. Historically, some of those “natural” dye processes involved extremely toxic metal ions to link the pigment to the fiber. To color cloth anything but very subtle shades of grays and browns can also involve a LOT of plant/animal products. So this method has in the past been harmful and if we continued using these products grown “naturally” many species would be over-harvested (perhaps to extinction) – or we would all be wearing extremely dull colored clothing.

Hmm…perhaps this info needs to be in the introduction to my dyeing tutorial??? Let me continue my thoughts there!

3. melanie says:

i love dying, i do it at lot to give old clothes a new look, can’t wait to learn more!

4. Lisa ONeill says:

The fabric is lovey, but, and, please, I’m not trying to be smart here – how organic is it after dying it – what type of dye was used to keep it organic. I’d love to know what options are out there for dying organically.

5. Katrina H says:

Wow! I can’t imagine the time it takes to dye your own fabric. She looks like a pro with her ability to make all those shades from one color!

6. kathyh says:

I can’t wait to hear more about her dyeing techniques.

7. Vicki says:

I’ve done a little bit of dyeing but I’m excited to learn more! Can’t wait for Candy’s tutorials :)

8. Beautiful shades and I love the mottled look of the fabrics.

Debbie