May Giveaway Day is now officially a tradition here at Sew,Mama,Sew! We’re doing it again, and you can join in the fun either as a giveaway host or as an eager participant! Mark your calendar for Monday, May 23rd!
We coordinate one day when everyone with a shop or blog can give something away. We create a master list, and we leave the lists up for several days so readers can take their time visiting the hundreds of participating blogs and shops. We also provide some structure with categories and international shipping info. Giveaway Days have been a lot of fun for everyone involved!
Over the years we’ve fine-tuned our process. Here’s some background about Giveaway Day, plus tips and info on how to participate:
Why do it?
Participants benefit because a) they get new readers (many participants end up with hundreds of comments & visitors); b) they get potential shoppers/readers; c) they can experience the joy of giving something they’ve made to a virtual friend. Readers benefit because a) they get exposed to blogs with great ideas; b) they get directed to shops with wonderful items; c) they get the opportunity to win a cool handmade prize; d) they know exactly when to tune in! Want to join us? Here are some guidelines:
- Your giveaway item must be either handmade (for example, bags, artwork, etc.), or something that can be used for making handmade gifts (for example, buttons, ribbons, patterns, etc.).
- You need to write a post about the item and ask visitors to comment on that post. This must be posted no later than 9 a.m. eastern on Monday, May 23. We check links at 9 a.m. eastern and if there isn’t a giveaway post we delete you from the list. You can post the night before if you want to be sure to remember!
- Decide how you want to choose the winner (random, best answer to a question, etc.).
- State in the post whether you’ll ship the item internationally.
- Leave your giveaway open until May 25. This gives plenty of time for people to visit you.
- Ship your item by May 30, one week from Giveaway Day.
- Spread the word! Make May 23th a Giveaway Day everywhere! Grab our button and link back to this post to let your readers know you’ll be participating. Tweet about Giveaway Day, spread the news on Facebook, write on your blog… http://www.sewmamasew.com/may2011/MayGiveawayDay.jpg and here is the link url: http://www.sewmamasew.com/?p=17334
- Make it easy for people to enter to win your giveaway. There was a growing trend there for awhile to have people take multiple steps in order to enter to win (i.e. become a “follower,” tweet about the giveaway, etc.). Feedback from participants tells us those types of hoops tend to frustrate readers and might make them less likely to visit you again.
- Keep your Giveaway Day post as your main entry for several days. If you post other things, just be sure to include a link at the top directing readers to your giveaway post. Again, you want to make it really easy for folks to visit.
- Include a picture of your giveaway in the post.
- Have fun!
Want to participate? Email [email protected] (Subject: Giveaway Day) by Friday, May 20th. Please include the following info:
- Site URL (the URL for your blog, etc., where people will find your giveaway post)
- Blog or Shop name (the blog or shop name where people will find your giveaway post)
- Tell us your location and whether you’ll ship internationally
- Category for your giveaway (pick one): Handcrafted Item(s), Handcrafted Item(s)+Supplies/Materials, Sewing and/or Knitting Supplies/Materials
On Giveaway Day we’ll post a master list of participants on our blog (divided into a series of three posts with different categories). Stop by to verify your information (please check all three lists for your name first before freaking out!), explore other sites and try your luck at winning a great giveaway!