What’s New? ~ Sewing Trends

on May 9 | in Sewing Inspiration, Sewing Trends | by | with 26 Comments

Melanie from A Sewing Journal is back with her monthly look at recent sewing trends. Today her focus is on color palettes; you can see recent trend posts here and here. Melanie can be found at A Sewing Journal, on Twitter and Facebook. Enjoy, and let us know what you think in the comments; are you loving these palettes lately in your own sewing?!

This time around I’m looking at color palettes. Many of the color palettes I’m seeing seem to celebrate the arrival of Spring and Summer. Let’s take a look:

Rainbow: As winter turns to spring we see rainbows after the storms, the colors of which make a beautiful and vibrant palette. Clockwise from top left: do. Good Stitches December quilt (a bee quilt for charity through a group organized by Stitched in Color) made by Texas Freckles, On a Rainy Day II (there is beauty to be seen) by Quilt It, Pinwheels On Parade (there’s a pattern, too) by Red Pepper Quilts, Selvedge Spools (with tutorial) by Tallgrass Prairie Studio, Bottled Rainbows (as a part of a ticker tape quilt along organized by Stitched In Color) by Sonnet of the Moon. See more Bottled Rainbows in the Stitched In Color Flickr group. (Check out our Rainbow Fat Quarter Packs in the shop!)

Sunshine: Looking forward to days full of sunshine, yellow florals make a warm and inviting palette. Clockwise from top left: Vintage Sheets Baby Quilt by Diary of a Quilter, Yellow and Gray Quilt (using the Crazy Nine-Patch Tutorial from Oh, Fransson!) by One Shabby Chick, Vintage Meets FMF block by Dee’sDoodles, Sunshine Quilt by Gingercake, Yellow Patchwork Baby Quilt by Liz Taylor * Handmade. (View yellow fabric in the shop.)

Sangria: Hot pinks and oranges, reminding us of strawberries, peaches and pink lemonade, are the warm palette of summer. Clockwise from top left: Summer Sherbet Quilt by WendyLou Designs, Girly Quilt by yahaira, Sugar-Free Quilt (a study in freehand cutting and improv piecing) by LULUBLOOM, Cathedral Window practice by Happy Zombie, 3×6 Mini Bee – Year 1 by jenib320. (View orange fabric and pink fabric in the shop.)

Ocean: The blues and greens of the ocean are the cool palette of summer. Clockwise from top left: BLISS Quilt (another do. Good Stitches quilt from Stitched In Color’s charity bee) by i like orange, too!, Irish Chain Quilt (using Patty Young’s Sanctuary fabric collection) by We’re all mad here, Square to be different? Quilt by kelbysews, DQS10 by What comes next? as photographed by recipient Quilting Barbie. (Shop for blue fabric and green fabric.)

Beach: A more neutral palette of sand, rocks and vegetation seen along the beach. Clockwise from top left: Blue Moon by stitchinglife, no. 034 by Leslie Keating {onegirl}, Miscellany Quilt (made with Julia Rothman’s up-coming fabric collection, Miscellany, for Cloud9 Organic Fabrics) by Michelle Engel Bencsko, Nani Iro Double Gauze Wedding Quilt by petalplum, Wedding Quilt (a colorwash trip around the world) by Wendy’s Hat. (The shop is full of lovely grey fabric and brown fabric!)

26 Responses to What’s New? ~ Sewing Trends

1. Lotti says:

Gorgeous,gorgeous,gorgeous, such beautiful quilts and palettes. I’m loving rainbows at the moment but the sangria colours are lovely too

2. A beautiful round-up of colours and loveliness. Thank you for including my Nani Iro quilt in this lovely collection.

3. Margaret says:

Those are beautiful quilts! Thanks for those colorful ideas!

4. Sew Studio says:

I’m loving the rainbow themed quilts – so bright, cheery and modern!

5. Amazing palettes, I love seeing so much color. I’m really digging the bright and the bold, so the rainbow palette is definitely my favorite!

6. Glorious quilts!
    Thank you indeed.

7. Sew Studio says:

LOVE the rainbow theme – great way to show modern lines on quilts…! Thanks for this post – very inspiring.

8. Aletta says:

Thank you for showing the newest quilting trends. I am making a rainbow quilt right now! I like the blues and the sangria too.

9. wendy says:

I’m madly in love with rainbows at the moment, everytime I see something rainbow covered I want to make it!

10. Maman A Droit says:

Ooh I love the sangria and sunshine. My husband would probably prefer I NOT cover the house in pink & yellow florals though :)

11. Claire says:

although Bliss and Blue Moon are looking good too!

12. Claire says:

I made a rainbow quilt for my new niece just before Xmas, very similar to “on a rainy day II” pictured above, and I really enjoyed working with a lot of bright colours. I love the ocean and beach colour groups too.
    What I really want to do next is one like Pinwheels on Parade or Bottled Rainbows, but I’m not brave enough yet!

13. LOVE how you break this down. Great quilt examples!

14. Ruth says:

I love the bottled rainbow quilt! If I had scraps I would definitely do this! Thanks for including my quilt!

15. Valerie says:

I’m just learning more about color and this definitely gives me lots of ideas and thoughts about how to proceed with my journey into learning about the subject! Thanks!

16. heather says:

what fun to see these trends–love all the variation and color~

17. craftytammie says:

i’m loving rainbow quilts at the moment! so much that i’m hosting a rainbow fabric swap!

18. some lovely inspiration – love me a Rainbow! Thank you for including my little quilt in this group!

19. I’m really loving the gray and yellow combos and definitely hot pink! yellow and pink are also a great combination for spring! those are colors i’ve been using in my projects.

20. Liz says:

What a great demonstration of colors! Thanks for including my quilt :)

21. Seanna Lea says:

These are awesome. My favorites are the ones with either curving lines or the illusion of curving lines.

22. Sue says:

My favorite is Vintage meets FMF, beautiful.

23. Thanks, Melanie! What a nice color pick-me-up. I’m honored to see some things I recognize included =)

24. mjb says:

So much beautiful inspiration.

25. Lisa Gapen says:

I find myself doing a lot of blue’s lately- just so many gorgeous fabrics in that palette that I can’t resist!

26. Ellen says:

WOW!
    lovely quilts….and so inspiring….thank you!
    smiles.